What's new

Marty Rathbun, any better than David Miscavige?

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
That's like one of those signs in a Zoo or Wildlife Park...

Honestly, we didn't want to feed 'em but they were so cute and looked at us with those big, brown eyes. They seemed to be begging for some food, some attention, some help, some lovin'... how could we not feed them? They're hungry! :blush:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
You know, Toothie, there is one thing that interests me about you.

You quite happily aim at wasting an inordinate amount of our time in misdirection and thinking badly of various people and things that maybe should and maybe shouldn't be thought badly of, but you won't answer a simple question about what you think of Hubbard.

Surely you could lie about it, one way or the other? It's not as if we (well, some of us) are going to believe what you say. So it doesn't really matter if you say he's great, or he's bad, or you don't really know, or your opinion changes from day to day.

Anyway, :carryon:

Paul

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
Thanks for asking!

I believe that Marty Rathbun is somewhat better than David Miscavige.

Sure, Marty is still a Hubbard apologist, and therefore his mental health is questionable... but I prefer the starry-eyed Hubbardite to the cynical evil of David Miscavige, squeezing that dying cash cow and ruining the lives of so many cult victims in the process.

Marty's departure from modern CofS methods could be interpreted as 'squirrelling'... but there is much that is wrong with Scientology as a whole, and that being so, change is necessary. In a schism, better the cult branch that embraces the concept of change, than the branch that sticks firmly to the flawed model of the Miscavige era.

I'd never trust Marty as far as I could spit... but David Miscavige is no better in that regard. This one is a tie.

In terms of past conduct, both have much to apologise for... and no intention of doing so. Another tie.

In terms of future potential to cause harm, Marty's reach is very limited. He only operates out of one state. As such, I can suffer his branch of the cult to live. Mainstream CofS is still robbing its remaining victims (who may number as many as 20,000) blind... so Marty wins this one, too. He's "better" - or less bad. Of course, if he were the 3rd head of the Scientology cult (yeah, right...) he may or may not be better.

For their contribution to bringing an end to Hubbardism... Marty or Miscavige? Village Voice put Miscavige ahead of Rathbun, with fat old Ron beating the two of them to the top spot. Who am I to argue? This means Miscavige is "better" - doing more to undo to evils of Scientology - than Rathbun.

In terms of their ability to lead the "church" of Scientology going forward, let's see: Rathbun has effectively disqualified himself by going off into obscurity. Miscavige has also sought the oblivion of obscurity, though: when was the last time you saw him give anything other than a scripted speech, in the same old pose on the same old Ideal Org podium? He's not exactly KSW, is he? And the "church" has shrunk like never before, on his watch. Rathbun's flock may be tiny, but I don't believe he exhibits the same failure to confront... so I'll have to award that round to Rathbun.

So. A brainburned old Hubbardist lunatic he may be, but Rathbun is "better" than the alcoholic midget in an expensive tuxedo, who is currently called COB. While he's still in charge and ordering games of 'musical chairs' there's a lot of folks who won't even think about giving Hubbardism another chance. And good luck to them.

Veda

Sponsor
You know, Toothie, there is one thing that interests me about you.

You quite happily aim at wasting an inordinate amount of our time in misdirection and thinking badly of various people and things that maybe should and maybe shouldn't be thought badly of, but you won't answer a simple question about what you think of Hubbard.

Surely you could lie about it, one way or the other? It's not as if we (well, some of us) are going to believe what you say. So it doesn't really matter if you say he's great, or he's bad, or you don't really know, or your opinion changes from day to day.

Anyway, :carryon:

Paul

Marty Rathbun's Crimes Against Humanity

-snip-

One curious detail - This image of Marty Rathbun (see bottom of Misterfabian's opening post) comes from $cientology's propaganda data base: http://martyrathbunblog.com/mark-rathbun/marty-rathbun-public-warning

Lone Star

Crusader
Thanks for asking!

I believe that Marty Rathbun is somewhat better than David Miscavige.

Sure, Marty is still a Hubbard apologist, and therefore his mental health is questionable... but I prefer the starry-eyed Hubbardite to the cynical evil of David Miscavige, squeezing that dying cash cow and ruining the lives of so many cult victims in the process.

Marty's departure from modern CofS methods could be interpreted as 'squirrelling'... but there is much that is wrong with Scientology as a whole, and that being so, change is necessary. In a schism, better the cult branch that embraces the concept of change, than the branch that sticks firmly to the flawed model of the Miscavige era.

I'd never trust Marty as far as I could spit... but David Miscavige is no better in that regard. This one is a tie.

In terms of past conduct, both have much to apologise for... and no intention of doing so. Another tie.

In terms of future potential to cause harm, Marty's reach is very limited. He only operates out of one state. As such, I can suffer his branch of the cult to live. Mainstream CofS is still robbing its remaining victims (who may number as many as 20,000) blind... so Marty wins this one, too. He's "better" - or less bad. Of course, if he were the 3rd head of the Scientology cult (yeah, right...) he may or may not be better.

For their contribution to bringing an end to Hubbardism... Marty or Miscavige? Village Voice put Miscavige ahead of Rathbun, with fat old Ron beating the two of them to the top spot. Who am I to argue? This means Miscavige is "better" - doing more to undo to evils of Scientology - than Rathbun.

In terms of their ability to lead the "church" of Scientology going forward, let's see: Rathbun has effectively disqualified himself by going off into obscurity. Miscavige has also sought the oblivion of obscurity, though: when was the last time you saw him give anything other than a scripted speech, in the same old pose on the same old Ideal Org podium? He's not exactly KSW, is he? And the "church" has shrunk like never before, on his watch. Rathbun's flock may be tiny, but I don't believe he exhibits the same failure to confront... so I'll have to award that round to Rathbun.

So. A brainburned old Hubbardist lunatic he may be, but Rathbun is "better" than the alcoholic midget in an expensive tuxedo, who is currently called COB. While he's still in charge and ordering games of 'musical chairs' there's a lot of folks who won't even think about giving Hubbardism another chance. And good luck to them.

Ahem....The OP is a Hubbard apologist. :whistling:

guanoloco

As-Wased
Yeah Panda, behave! :biggrin:

Or we have to strip you of your OT Panda abilities! :biggrin:

This is for Panda and anyone else who is retardedly interested...not saying that Panda is retarded or even interested...just sayin'...

Anyhow, this is how batshit nuts I am...

Notice that it is "behave"? As in "don't DO anything"?

Well, going back to that little LRH blurb that "the thetan always knows" I thought that this was a clever linguistic twist that the DO was omitted from the BE - DO - HAVE triangle.

In other words, consciously or not, the human race was aware of the BE - DO - HAVE crap at some level and when the human race wanted someone to not DO something then the command became a static canceller as in "BE-HAVE" with an omitted non static of DO.

Cause, you know, when the folks holler "behave" what they really want is for you to quit doing whatever the hell you're doing.

Somehow or another this convinced me of the truth of the tech and Ron and the dwindling spiral and reactivity and all that.

Now how is that for bonkers nuts?

Such was my fairy tale fascination with Scientology...

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
Ahem....The OP is a Hubbard apologist. :whistling:

I know that. But if said Hubbard apologist actually reads the post and attempts to construct a counter-argument, I may have sown a seed of doubt that will help. So I keep on responding... even to a Ronbot.

Lone Star

Crusader
This is for Panda and anyone else who is retardedly interested...not saying that Panda is retarded or even interested...just sayin'...

Anyhow, this is how batshit nuts I am...

Notice that it is "behave"? As in "don't DO anything"?

Well, going back to that little LRH blurb that "the thetan always knows" I thought that this was a clever linguistic twist that the DO was omitted from the BE - DO - HAVE triangle.

In other words, consciously or not, the human race was aware of the BE - DO - HAVE crap at some level and when the human race wanted someone to not DO something then the command became a static canceller as in "BE-HAVE" with an omitted non static of DO.

Cause, you know, when the folks holler "behave" what they really want is for you to quit doing whatever the hell you're doing.

Somehow or another this convinced me of the truth of the tech and Ron and the dwindling spiral and reactivity and all that.

Now how is that for bonkers nuts?

Such was my fairy tale fascination with Scientology...

That is an interesting take on the word 'behave'. It's nutty enough to make sense
:coolwink: