What's new

Scientology Settles with Debbie Cook

Pooks

MERCHANT OF CHAOS
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/04/scientology_settles_debbie_cook.php

It's turning into quite a day of revelations for Scientology Watchers.

Earlier this morning we reported that charges had been dropped against Scientology executive Jan Eastgate in Australia.

And now, another stunning development: Marty Rathbun just reported at his blog that the Church of Scientology has settled its lawsuit against former church executive Debbie Cook and her husband Wayne Baumgarten.

I just confirmed this with Debbie's attorney, Ray Jeffrey, who tells me he really can't say anything else about the terms of the settlement

"The matter is settled. That's the full extent of it," he says.

Free Being Me

Crusader
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/04/scientology_settles_debbie_cook.php

Earlier this morning we reported that charges had been dropped against Scientology executive Jan Eastgate in Australia.

And now, another stunning development: Marty Rathbun just reported at his blog that the Church of Scientology has settled its lawsuit against former church executive Debbie Cook and her husband Wayne Baumgarten.

I just confirmed this with Debbie's attorney, Ray Jeffrey, who tells me he really can't say anything else about the terms of the settlement

I'm disappointed regarding both cases. Was the Jan Eastgate case dropped due to a statute of limitations? I'm not familiar with Aussie law. If Debbie Cook settled then I'm fairly sure $cientology had some form of confidentiality clause stipulated with the settlement ... sigh.

I'm sure at the cult's next Nuremberg Rally Miscavige will be telling them these cases went away because of the OT powers unleashed by releasing The L. Ron Hubbard 16-volume biographical encyclopedia of comedy and not because of the hush money they had to pay out.

... as he hits them up for more hush money to pay out and forces them to buy several copies of Hubbard's encyclopedia of comedy .

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron
$cn is one of the few organizations that has perfected the art of the strategy of winning by losing.

Could the Jan Eastgate outcome be related to the Debbie Cook outcome?

Lulu Belle

Moonbat

Well, no surprise there.

One thing that sucks about this is that a lot of people contributed to Debbie Cook's Legal Defense Fund.

If past history is any indication, everyone involved will go on lockdown and the people who helped fund this whole thing won't even get any information about the outcome, no less get any of their money back.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Not surprising that Debbie settled just to make it stop.

But, kind of interesting is the covenant of that agreement (per Rathbun's blog of today) that she agreed to not have any part of the Indie Scientology movement.
WHAT COULD THAT MEAN?!

So, (if true) it either means that:

1) She doesn't ever plan to get any auditing/training ever again in Scientology.

Or....​

2) She plans to do her bridge in the Church of Scientology.

If it means she is off the Bridge, permanently, good for her. Good move.

If it means that she will return to the CoS to do her Bridge, OMG.

If this were a normal situation in life (not involving Scientology) #1 would be the only possible explanation.

But this is Scientology, where things do not need to make any sense.

So, it is quite conceivable (although wacky) that she might well be considering going back to the Mecca of Technical Perfection to get her case handled.

Wouldn't that be something?

Hoping she walks away from the Bridge and tries to get some enjoyment from the rest of her life.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
She never said she wasn't a Scientologist anymore. In fact, she expressly stated that she IS a lifelong scientologist, and that her objections to the Church were based more in the abuses that the Church conducts in the name of Scientology than in the Scientology doctrines, themselves.

I doubt, from that, that she's never going to do scientology anymore, or that she'll never have anything to do with the Church again, but she'll probably be doing what she can to disable or destroy the cabal she feels has dominated the Church she said she loves.

Meanwhile, we all wait for Davie to have his final asthma attack.

... And now, another stunning development: Marty Rathbun just reported at his blog that the Church of Scientology has settled its lawsuit against former church executive Debbie Cook and her husband Wayne Baumgarten. ...

So when will we be hearing from Rathbun that she took her "... payoff and slid off into the sunset" as he has stated of others who reached a court settlement?

Or are such deliberately insulting remarks reserved only for those whom Rathbun knows himself to have been criminally abused by LRH & the church and who were unwilling to pretend otherwise? :eyeroll:

As an interesting side note, it's an interesting feature of Rathbun's blog on the item that he has sought to soften the impact on his audience of any potential discrediting remarks subsequently emerging about either himself or Rinder.

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/scientology-inc-v-debbie-cook-the-end-game/

Nothing surprising in any of this. Just the same old dance. :eyeroll:

Mark A. Baker

Last edited:

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
The DAMAGE is already DONE! Debbie Cook's e-mail has devastated the Church of Scientology and there will be more to come! :yes:

The Co$ put on the internet Debbie Cook signing a GAG order w/o an attorney. THAT WAS REALLY STUPID!:duh:

Now they pay her off to shut her up...does not look good. If the Church of Scientology had NOTHING to HIDE...they would have proceeded and not given her a dime!:ohmy: But the Church of Scientology has PLENTY TO HIDE!! CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY!!:angry:

This put a dent into Miss Cabbage's bank account, for sure! :happydance: More bad PR to the Co$ by now shutting her up. One thing about criminals...they ALWAYS get caught and they do really, really STUPID things!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

The truth is setting people free and KARMA is coming right back to the CULT of SCAMONOLOGY! :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Well, no surprise there.

One thing that sucks about this is that a lot of people contributed to Debbie Cook's Legal Defense Fund.

If past history is any indication, everyone involved will go on lockdown and the people who helped fund this whole thing won't even get any information about the outcome, no less get any of their money back.

well some of them would need to be concerned about the details of their privacy and their accounts.

and on lines scientologists who helped her need to be concerned about the kr that is going to come

Lone Star

Crusader
Well that's it! Goodnight everyone! Thanks for playing Scieno Court Watch! :clap: The game that always ends with a let down. :duh:

Next up...what will Lisa Marie do? ( Hint: Probably nothing)

randomx

Patron with Honors
Hello Debbie,

Congratulations on re establishing A.R.C. with The Church of Scientology, without compromising your reality.

You have declared to the world that the price of freedom is slavery.

You have declared to the world that human rights is actually abuse.

You have declared to the world that freedom of speech is all about not saying certain things about certain people.

You have declared to the world that free association means not associating with certain people.

You have declared to the world that freedom of thought means not thinking certain thoughts.

You have shown the world that justice is a contest to see who is the richest.

You are a true Scientologist.

Ron would be proud.

MY STORY

http://kiwianon.com/forums/index.php?topic=503.0

NonScio

Patron Meritorious
Well, I would imagine she walked away with far more $$ than the original
$50 K they paid her...my guess it was in the millions... enough to
pay the lawyers 30% with lots left for her.

So, it can be done...those still "in" and "in the know" should think it
over...at least when they "route out" they should hold out for far
more than the 50k chickenfeed "hush money" that Cook got
when she checked out. If they have some inside dirt that is really "hot"
take the lawsuit/publicity route. Miscaviage will pay big when his bluff
is called...surely he is worried about personal consequences if the
full force of law is ever focused on him and his crimes.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'd been hoping this wouldn't happen but sadly expecting it.

Cult got bitch-slapped big-time in the courtroom on this and had to make it go away - money's no object when DM's safety (ie His continuing time out of jail) is at risk.

Debbie and Wayne have invested a lot of their lives into the cult and now have to start again. Both have helped the cult big-time in getting money and new blood in. And have no real skills in anything else. And they never really stopped being in the cult mentally and emotionally - expecting a pay-out for good and faithful service.

For the cult, it's yet another Phyrric victory - they stop the courtroom battle (not win it, just stop it) yet lose the PR battle yet again.

And lose more former True Believers and get no new ones.

Which leaves the Baumgartens in an interesting position - they may now have money but they've lost their cult and their families still in, and have probably lost most of the new friends who flocked to help them once they left the cult.

I'd rather be in my position - slowly recovering sanity and finances and not having to stay in denial for the rest of my days.

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is exactly what I predicted would happen, I only thought they might drag out the behind doors negotiating and legal filings to try and starve Debbie out a bit longer. Didn't have to she folded right quick as soon as the price was right.

I'm at least glad to see her noble dedication to saving Ron's tech was as authentic as CoS stats. Maybe she not as brainwashed as we thought, a true believer may have really tried to hang in their to save the tech from DM. She tossed Ron aside and grabbed the money, just like Ron would have done. She also got to milk the indies, who she wanted nothing to do with until she needed some cash.

I do find it hysterical that Marty and Mike just piss and shit talk any critics who have taken settlements in the past, but in Debbies case taking the money and stfu is a WIN and noble victory for the indies. Oh the irony.

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
Does anybody remember how much hush money Mike Rinder was supposedly offered (and turned down) when DM's legal eagles cornered him in Denver in 2009?

Just wonderin'. :confused2:

That would give us a clue as to how much Debbie's deal would potentially be worth.

ILove2Lurk