Pics worth 1K words :yes:

Guadeloupe1a-thumb-550x368.jpg

Guadeloupe2-thumb-550x450.jpg

Guadeloupe3-thumb-550x379.jpg

Guadeloupe4-thumb-550x378.jpg

More at Village Voice and http://waynebaumgarten.com/

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Spectacular, yes. If they can afford to live like tourists for the rest of their lives . . . .

But boring after a while, no?

Still, I bet they can't afford to live like tourists for that long.

Paul

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
Spectacular, yes. If they can afford to live like tourists for the rest of their lives . . . .

Paul

We'll see. Depends on what they do to occupy themselves. I feel we have not heard the last from them.

From Wayne on his website:

"San Antonio has been very good to Debbie and I and we both fell in love with the Texas State of Mind.

Speed limit of 80, signs that say “don’t slow Texas down”, you can feel the free-wheeling drive to get things done. It’s very refreshing. The Tex-Mex food is pretty good too. But it was time to move on, so move on we did. We sold our beloved burgandy BMW, rented out our house to a long term leaser, packed up our stuff and hit the road. I moved from my big old powerhouse workstation to my laptop and Debbie and I set up to keep as many customers as we could that we could properly look after by phone and email. We were heading out to see the world, something we have not done since the early 80′s and never done together."

"Well the road is certainly long to Gaudeloupe (gward-e-loop). This large caribbean island is a part of France, and a good way down the island chain. The flight took all day and it was dark when we landed. Even the taxi drive to the hotel took almost an hour, flying through the small windy streets with our French speaking cabbie. Opps, I thought you were going to learn French before we arrived?"

Paul

They might be tourists.
Or they might start a tourist regging business.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Calling Tikk

I'd be curious to hear from Tikk again at this point on whether he now thinks Debbie and the cult did or didn't negotiate a side agreement that included the cult settling more money on her in exchange for her turning off her megaphone.

During the Monday morning quarterbacking that went on here, the Village Voice, Marty's blog, and other venues, the following statements were printed:

Tampa Times: "The agreement dated Monday allows both sides to essentially call it even and go their separate ways. Neither pays the other side money, and Cook and her husband are legally prohibited from ever again speaking ill of the church." At http://www.tampabay.com/news/scientology/article1226702.ece

See settlement document at http://markrathbun.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/injunction.pdf

However, it's seems unlikely to me that Debbie and Wayne could finance such a relocation -- even to Guadeloupe -- if they didn't have some new-found resources to do so.

TG1

TG1

Angelic Poster
Re my above post:

In the Tampa Times post eleven days ago about news of Debbie and Wayne moving to Guadeloupe, at http://www.tampabay.com/news/scientology-foe-debbie-cook-moving-to-caribbean-island/1236287:

The couple was no more forthcoming last week when Donley joined them for a goodbye dinner and went with them and Jeffrey to see the movie Prometheus.

Donley asked if their move out of the country was a condition of the settlement.

"They looked me right in the eyes and said, 'We can't talk about that,' '' he said.

Since there was nothing about moving out of the country (or not moving out of the country or anything about where they were required to locate or relocate) in the published agreement between the cult and Debbie and Wayne, it seems likely there was a side agreement that did estop them (or at least made them think they were estopped) from talking about where they would live.

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron

Paul

Great point, Paul.
I think Debbie's sense of reality and income must be pretty wacky. IMHO real freedom from Scientology comes from getting distance AND a viable means of support that has nothing to do with Scientology and Scientologists.

Debbie, if she has half a brain, should use her new found celebrity and fabulous rolodex to keep herself busy. I would ponder how successful one can be applying a 1950's management style developed by a paranoid man who had totalitarian control over his workforce.

And...I thought she was broke at the time of the court hearing and now she's in Guadeloupe?

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Guadeloupe2-thumb-550x450.jpg

It looks like a win!
But, then again, it's Scientology.
The photo could be a shore story.

:giggle:

tikk

Patron with Honors
Re: Calling Tikk

I'd be curious to hear from Tikk again at this point on whether he now thinks Debbie and the cult did or didn't negotiate a side agreement that included the cult settling more money on her in exchange for her turning off her megaphone.

During the Monday morning quarterbacking that went on here, the Village Voice, Marty's blog, and other venues, the following statements were printed:

Tampa Times: "The agreement dated Monday allows both sides to essentially call it even and go their separate ways. Neither pays the other side money, and Cook and her husband are legally prohibited from ever again speaking ill of the church." At http://www.tampabay.com/news/scientology/article1226702.ece

See settlement document at http://markrathbun.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/injunction.pdf

However, it's seems unlikely to me that Debbie and Wayne could finance such a relocation -- even to Guadeloupe -- if they didn't have some new-found resources to do so.

TG1

I think I explained in one of the Voice stories but basically, the reason I maintained Cook couldn't have gotten paid beyond what was stated in the above settlement order is because the terms of the breach were in that agreement; and Scientology couldn't have thus gone back to the court and argued "Cook breached and owes us the million dollars we secretly gave her." And that's still true--there can't be secret money tied to Cook's silence because there's no 'consideration' (a contractual term of art meaning that where, in a bargain, one party gives something and the other party gives nothing, there is no contractual obligation for lack of consideration). But there could be 'secret money' given in exchange for something else, which no one was aware of at the time, that being banishment to Guadeloupe.

I guess some might see the situation as Cook/Baumgarten *wanting* to go to Guadeloupe as opposed to *having* to go to Guadeloupe (and evidence of this would be their having little left here), but my sense is that it benefits Scientology more than it benefits them; to the extent serendipity played a factor, perhaps, but I think Scientology just wanted Cook far away from Marty and US courts. For Cook/Baumgarten, Guadeloupe is an unknown. Sure it's a vacation spot, but it's not like they know anyone. People don't just get up and move to Guadeloupe, even when they have money.

But to the extent Scientology helped this move along, or set her up in a new business, I believe that any financial help they gave or are giving is severely limited and every penny accounted for. The last thing they're going to do is give her enough money to leave her in a position to turn and fund her own litigation against them. So my guess is that she's not being paid so much as having her rent paid, having perhaps a startup business financed, etc., and that would all disappear if she suddenly decided she didn't want to continue cooperating.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Thanks, Tikk. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

That's certainly what living on Guadeloupe sounds like to me -- hell on earth after about the first 45 days, if not sooner. I wonder where they'll find congenial companions, entertainment, familiar foods, ready Internet service.

Most of all, if what you hypothesize is true, for people who wanted to secure more liberties for their fellow Scientologists they are now living in a grass shack prison themselves. It's a bitter and ironic Papillon outcome for two butterflies who wanted to be free.

HelluvaHoax!

With a different language, tiny population, sporadic civil unrest and Guadeloupe's unemployment rate of 37% it sounds like Debbie goofed the floof on her Admin Scale in deciding which location was the greatest good to flourish and prosper.

guadeloupe-greve_346.jpg

Who would want to live there?

Or maybe the question is who would want her to live there?

I guess COB's OT postulates are more tone 40 than Debbie's tone 40 OT postulates.

HelluvaHoax!

My guess is that she'd be set up in hotel management, a travel agency, i.e., become part of the tourist economy, not opening a liquor store in a sketchy neighborhood.

That's a damn good guess, hadn't thought of that. She does have extensive experience in running hotels.

I just hope she can resist the temptation to replace room Bibles with Dianetics and order hotel guests to get Sec Checked when they complain about having to attend morning muster.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Re: Calling Tikk

I think I explained in one of the Voice stories but basically, the reason I maintained Cook couldn't have gotten paid beyond what was stated in the above settlement order is because the terms of the breach were in that agreement; and Scientology couldn't have thus gone back to the court and argued "Cook breached and owes us the million dollars we secretly gave her." And that's still true--there can't be secret money tied to Cook's silence because there's no 'consideration' (a contractual term of art meaning that where, in a bargain, one party gives something and the other party gives nothing, there is no contractual obligation for lack of consideration). But there could be 'secret money' given in exchange for something else, which no one was aware of at the time, that being banishment to Guadeloupe.

I guess some might see the situation as Cook/Baumgarten *wanting* to go to Guadeloupe as opposed to *having* to go to Guadeloupe (and evidence of this would be their having little left here), but my sense is that it benefits Scientology more than it benefits them; to the extent serendipity played a factor, perhaps, but I think Scientology just wanted Cook far away from Marty and US courts. For Cook/Baumgarten, Guadeloupe is an unknown. Sure it's a vacation spot, but it's not like they know anyone. People don't just get up and move to Guadeloupe, even when they have money.

But to the extent Scientology helped this move along, or set her up in a new business, I believe that any financial help they gave or are giving is severely limited and every penny accounted for. The last thing they're going to do is give her enough money to leave her in a position to turn and fund her own litigation against them. So my guess is that she's not being paid so much as having her rent paid, having perhaps a startup business financed, etc., and that would all disappear if she suddenly decided she didn't want to continue cooperating.

Thanks Tikk. I think you have it surrounded.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
That's a damn good guess, hadn't thought of that. She does have extensive experience in running hotels.

I just hope she can resist the temptation to replace room Bibles with Dianetics and order hotel guests to get Sec Checked when they complain about having to attend morning muster.

actually she has no experience in running hotels.

She does, however, have experience in beating the crap out of semi-qualified prospects.

God help us all if the National bank of France decides to hire her.

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
Debbie claims to have fibro myalgea. An offer of health insurance would relieve a great deal of distress. FM is a big deal to anyone who has it and probably the biggest thing on Debbie's plate, above the COS or even her business.