What's new

Suing The Church For Allegedly Forcing Her To Have An Abortion

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
From the link:

"Laura Ann filed the second amended complaint because the first lawsuit was dismissed after the Church got the case moved to federal court and the judge ruled the statue of limitations had expired. After more legal wrangling, the California Appellate Court ruled Laura Ann could proceed with her second amended complaint against the Church.

The lawsuit is seeking loss of earnings, general damages, loss of education damages, restitution of unpaid wages, injunctive relief preventing forced abortions, and unspecified damages.

There is a status conference in the case scheduled for Wednesday, July 18. The trial is scheduled to begin July 29, 2013."

Laura Ann - Persistence - A+
Laura Ann - Courage - A+

Good for her!! What a brave woman to go ahead and do this, especially after her initial filing failed. It's a whole year from now til the trial begins. I wonder if the cult will intimidate her or her attorney in the interim. You may think that the cult would recognize that any such behavior would be counter productive to them but, as their policies dictate otherwise and they are unable to learn, I would be wary as usual. I would imagine Laura Ann and her attorney have thought this through and have taken measures to protect themselves.

I hope during this time many other women whose abortions were coerced will step up to the plate, along with those who were on the RPF being degraded for years on end.

I hope this suit gets tons of media attention.

Night, night Davey! Lights out!

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
I hope she is able to hold out, through the whole thing - as she will be put through hell.

Who can blame anyone for settling - taking the money and getting on with life?

:confused2:

But I hate when that happens.

secretiveoldfag

Stands to reason that as more cases of this kind are brought, the legal arguments against CoS will get stronger as it is possible to anticipate how they will defend themselves.

Let's hope they don't slide out from under this one.

FoTi

Crusader
:cheerleader:GO LAURA:cheerleader:

I hope the media picks this up and runs with it big time!

I also hope a lot of other women who were abused by the Sea Org muster up the courage to speak out as well.

You are a gutsy lady, Laura. :thumbsup:

Wishing you the best. :bighug:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Here's more on this topic:

"A woman has accused the Church of Scientology of forcing her to have an abortion and false imprisonment in an explosive lawsuit revealed on Tuesday.
Laura Ann DeCrescenzo, from New Mexico, also accuses the church of intentional infliction of emotional distress and deprivation of freedom, while she was a member from 1991, aged just 12, until 2004.
The claim throws a fresh spotlight on the controversial religion that is said to be the reason why Katie Holmes divorced Tom Cruise. She is said to have wanted daughter Suri to be shielded from the religion at all costs."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ishments-explosive-lawsuit.html#ixzz20u4BDbhs

lkwdblds

Crusader
Former Scientologist Accuses The Church Of Forcing Her To Have An Abortion In Explosive Lawsuit

Hi Smila:
This is an interesting law suit. With the underage factor, the 100 hour work weeks, the non providing of an education and the abortion, it would seem to me that C of S's religious cloaking can be pierced at least once, probably more.

As more and more of this type of stuff comes to trial, C of S will be taken down a few pegs.
Lakey

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Hi Smila:
This is an interesting law suit. With the underage factor, the 100 hour work weeks, the non providing of an education and the abortion, it would seem to me that C of S's religious cloaking can be pierced at least once, probably more.

As more and more of this type of stuff comes to trial, C of S will be taken down a few pegs.
Lakey

Yes, I think so too.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Hi Smila:

Lakey

Rather than 'taken down a few pegs' I like to this to get into breaking the Co$.

The Co$ pecked at CAN with lawsuits until the costs of defense broke them.
Time to turn it back on the C o $

Last edited:

Reasonable

Why isn't this a criminal case?

I am sure she can settle on the civil action but how can the police let this go criminally?
As far as I understand, the plaintiff can not settle a criminal case that is a "crime against the state"

Violation of child labor laws
Taking a kid out of school
Having a contract with a minor
Child abuse

Can any one explain this to me?

Why isn't this a criminal case? ...

Because a criminal complaint has not been filed with the police and found to be supportable by the relevant prosecutor.

Not all crimes are prosecuted. Nonetheless she is entitled to seek civil relief through the courts. As a civil case it won't have the same strict standards required as in a criminal case.

Given the subject matter it is likely to prove very damaging to the church one way or another provided she can sustain the litigation.

Mark A. Baker

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Because a criminal complaint has not been filed with the police and found to be supportable by the relevant prosecutor.

Not all crimes are prosecuted. Nonetheless she is entitled to seek civil relief through the courts. As a civil case it won't have the same strict standards required as in a criminal case.

Given the subject matter it is likely to prove very damaging to the church one way or another provided she can sustain the litigation.

Mark A. Baker

It ain't exactly the kind of PR a group known for harboring child molestors wants, is it ?

Smilla

Ordinary Human

I am sure she can settle on the civil action but how can the police let this go criminally?
As far as I understand, the plaintiff can not settle a criminal case that is a "crime against the state"

Child abuse

I think there might be a statute of limitation issue.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Rather than 'taken down a few pegs' I like to this to get into breaking the Co$.

The Co$ pecked at CAN with lawsuits until the costs of defense broke them.
Time to turn it back on the C o $

I think we can expect many many more cases of this or similar kind :)

Purple Rain

Crusader
The timing of her lawsuit couldn't be better. It will be hard to put this genie back in the bottle, now that the mainstream media has caught wind of it.

Sadly, no matter what money the cult pays Laura it won't bring her baby back or her stolen childhood, but I hope she can find the strength to continue to fight for justice for both of those lost children.

Her courage is staggering, really.

Isn't it heart-warming to know that this group has a sweeter tax deal in America than all mainstream religions? So charitable - so deserving.

guanoloco

As-Wased

Child abuse

Not to be a nitpicking hairsplitter but to my knowledge contracts with minors aren't illegal nor are they void - rather they are voidable... meaning you're bound to it but the minor can cancel at any time; thus cancelling the contract altogether.

Reasonable

It would be great to see a class action case adverised on TV the way they advertise for asbestos poisoning.

"Have been harmed by the church of Scientology? Been forced to have an abortion? paid slave wages? Recruited at the age of 12? Disconnected from your family? If so call the number on your screen"

Just the advertisement alone could ruin them.