What's new

The "Key" to Life

ChaoticPsychotic

Patron with Honors
I remember back when the new KTL was released. I was all of about 12. I was currently onlines at my local Class V Org as an M1 Co-Audit student. It was such a big deal! There was a special courseroom just for KTL and another for LOC. There was so much hype and mystery around it. Even the title - "Ket to Life". Wow I was certain that it was going to unlock the mysteries of life. As a pre-teen girl this was all very enthralling for me. I could not wait to get into that special courseroom.

Fastforward to age 17. I am in the Sea Org. I have finally gotten all of the pre-reqs done. I am finally going to route onto the KTL. I do all of the prelim shit. Now it's time to get into the meat of things. I crack open the 6C book. At least I think it was called 6C. I remember thinking to myself "You have got to be fucking kidding". I flipped thru the whole book thinking "what kind of joke is this?". I grabbed the 9A (again not sure if that was what it was) and flipping thru it. I did this all discreetly since it was imperative that you not look ahead. Un-fucking-believable. Were they really telling me that learning grammar and definitions of small words was really THE KEY to life?!?!?!?! I blew the course. I was so disgusted I could not even bring myself to continue studying this crap. What a disappointment. Probably what the guys who do the OT levels feel. Like, is this shit for real?

I know that I for one, never found my salvation studying LRH materials.

Key to life... what a joke.

Wisened One

Crusader
OMG, Yes. I remember KTL/LOC. Even did some of KTL...had mild wins on it,but still....weird how they coat a child-study course in all its sugar and hype of KTL/LOC POWER!

Whatever.

Wisened One

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
When I did the KTL/LOC in 1990, there was a section at the beginning called Clay Table De-PTS'ing. Did you not have it?

At the time we did the course at ITO, they were working from photocopies of the books. In the middle of the course, the print books became available and we had to raise $500 (while on course no less) to buy a copy. Suddenly it was off-policy to be using copies :)

This entire literacy push supposedly came out of the "World Out of Comm" eval done in the 1970's, with the big "why" for the world's problems being reading. The KTL is a pretty low gradient for college grads, but even with them I have seen people who had trouble putting a sentence together in writing. The big cartoons in the KTL books must have been degrading to many ...

I heard that they had to revamp the Life Orientation Course because staff were realizing that their goals in some cases did NOT align with being a staff member. That is when I blew for good, after the LOC.

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
I remember back when the new KTL was released. I was all of about 12. I was currently onlines at my local Class V Org as an M1 Co-Audit student. It was such a big deal! There was a special courseroom just for KTL and another for LOC. There was so much hype and mystery around it. Even the title - "Ket to Life". Wow I was certain that it was going to unlock the mysteries of life. As a pre-teen girl this was all very enthralling for me. I could not wait to get into that special courseroom.

Fastforward to age 17. I am in the Sea Org. I have finally gotten all of the pre-reqs done. I am finally going to route onto the KTL. I do all of the prelim shit. Now it's time to get into the meat of things. I crack open the 6C book. At least I think it was called 6C. I remember thinking to myself "You have got to be fucking kidding". I flipped thru the whole book thinking "what kind of joke is this?". I grabbed the 9A (again not sure if that was what it was) and flipping thru it. I did this all discreetly since it was imperative that you not look ahead. Un-fucking-believable. Were they really telling me that learning grammar and definitions of small words was really THE KEY to life?!?!?!?! I blew the course. I was so disgusted I could not even bring myself to continue studying this crap. What a disappointment. Probably what the guys who do the OT levels feel. Like, is this shit for real?

I know that I for one, never found my salvation studying LRH materials.

You skipped the part about learning to recite the alphabet backwards, didn't you. That's where you missed out. The Key to Life was there!

barky

Patron with Honors
I heard that they had to revamp the Life Orientation Course because staff were realizing that their goals in some cases did NOT align with being a staff member.

I heard this story A LOT.

Whatever happened to "if it's true for you, it's true"? Just a lot of farfle? They never believed that at all. It's only "do what LRH tells you" and "if you're not with Scn, you're a panty-waste!"

If there's one thing that p*sses me off about the CoS, it's their hypocrisy. :angry:

Marie

Patron
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree, every action or policy that seemed logical that didn't go with the "keep them forever, in complete bondage" (ok I have a hard time with that word, in this use... but couldn't think of another that fit) was changed or found "not source". It still irks me:angry:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
You skipped the part about learning to recite the alphabet backwards, didn't you. That's where you missed out. The Key to Life was there!

My grandmother taught me that when I was 5. I thought it was a game, a sort of party trick. It wasn't until I was about 25 (and doing a lot of filing in CF) that I realized it was useful.

I changed the game on KTL to see how many times I could recite it backwards in one breath. I think I did 5 then. I just did it again and managed 6 1/2. Now, that is a party trick. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Z7N8MScqs

Paul

Last edited:

Giuseppe

Patron with Honors

Giuseppe does not have this experience. Giuseppe thinks the KTL was a great course. Yes, it should be done in Elementary School English class, and re-worked so that it follows more conventional grammar rules.

Key to Life, it is not. Universal Solvent, yes, communication is the Universal Solvent, Giuseppe believes.

Giuseppe corrects people at work many many times. Giuseppe can see two or three people arguing over semantics, and can jump in and fix the situation with one or two well-worded comments. Giuseppe understands that most arguments come from frustrations over communication semantics, rather than the actual subject of the communication.

LOC was a waste of time. Giuseppe was afraid to say that out loud, so Giuseppe attest to completion anyway. Giuseppe ran the incorrect hat through the entirety of the LOC.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
My grandmother taught me that when I was 5. I thought it was a game, a sort of party trick. It wasn't until I was about 25 (and doing a lot of filing in CF) that I realized it was useful.

I changed the game on KTL to see how many times I could recite it backwards in one breath. I think I did 5 then. I just did it again and managed 6 1/2. Now, that is a party trick. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Z7N8MScqs

Paul

OK - THAT was a cutting edge use of the Webcam on a message board!!!

Fantastic!!!

:hysterical:

Muhammad

Patron
KTL home school

I did the KTL and had many wins because of very poor schooling prior to it.I have found it to be a very good tool for teaching grammer to my son who I home schooled thru high school. The KTL gave him a very good command of grammer which helped his reading and writting. Which made it easy for him to learn to wit he was doing Trig in his fresh, soph year.
Also heard that alot of people who do KTL become more aware of the bull shit in the church. with the dumbing down of america I feel the KTL has relavence.
As-Salamu Alaikum

Good twin

Floater
I know a very high profile Scientologist who left staff after doing KTL. She is currently one of the most active volunteers in CW. That is NOT what she left staff to pursue. CW protesters may PM me for the correct button on this person.

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
Wondering what (if any) other languages besides English that the KTL is delivered in. That would be a huge undertaking. Maybe whoever buys up the assets of corporate Scientology can work it out.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Wondering what (if any) other languages besides English that the KTL is delivered in. That would be a huge undertaking. Maybe whoever buys up the assets of corporate Scientology can work it out.

I don't think it is delivered in any language other than English. LOC is, though.

Paul

spyglass

Patron
What did the courses consist of?

They are very confidential. Is the KTL just basic grammar and the LOC only getting the org board in one's life?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
They are very confidential. Is the KTL just basic grammar and the LOC only getting the org board in one's life?

This post is purely about KTL. Someone else can write about LOC. This is a copy and paste of a post I did a few years back:

I did KTL and the KTL delivery course at ITO, but never supervised it.
Although I did supervise across the hallway for a few years!

Here's a brief summary as best as I can do at the moment. I only have
the three big books and none of the little ones. The rest is from memory
and I welcome better data from anyone.

The only things kept confidential about the course are the EP's of the
Clay Table processes, as knowing them in advance wrecks the student's
case gain. The student does the clay reps in session as a repetitive
process, until the specific EPs are reached.

The entire course is done twinned, both giving and receiving. If one
twin goes to ethics, the other twin goes to ethics. If you lose your
twin, you have to get another one. If you're six months ahead of him,
that's just tough, you spend six months getting him caught up before
you can progress any. You definitely feel like you have accomplished
something when you finish this course.

1-5. Wordless orientation to the course and the courseroom from picture
books.
Orientation to the Clay Table, and learn how to do a Clay Representation.
Receive CT1, the first Clay Table set of processes, to EP.
Receive CT2, the second Clay Table set of processes, to EP.
Deliver CT1, the first Clay Table set of processes, to EP.
Deliver CT2, the second Clay Table set of processes, to EP.

6A. Read the first 88 pages of the "6C" book. It shows how to clear
words from the KTL books, which define all the words used in KTL. Drill
the alphabet.

6B. Drill clearing words with a twin, turn-about style (Joe clears definition
1 on Sally; Sally clears defs 1 and 2 on Joe; Joe clears defs 2 and 3
on Sally; and so on.) This is not Method 9 word-clearing, but close,
in that if one twin doesn't really understand some word he thoroughly
clears it up by looking at each definition and using the word in sentences
until he's got it.

6C. The famous 6C. Clear the given 810 definitions (including the derivation
and idioms) for the 60 small common words turnabout with your twin.
(The words are: the, a, of, to, and, in, that, for, he, is, I, was, it,
as, on, with, his, but, you, be, at, an, by, have, had, they, from,
this, said, all, or, are, would, not, him, what, has, out, about, there,
were, who, so, one, its, will, their, up, been, do, if, her, she, which,
off, than, then, just, even, though). Each word is followed by a drill.
In this drill are some sentences using the word just studied in different
ways and the student has to give the correct definition without looking
it up (the answers are given at the bottom to prevent arguments, but
not in such a way as to allow cheating). If he flunks, both the student
and his twin have to re-clear *each* definition of that word. Then try
the drill for that word again.

6D. A drill where one twin picks a small common word and has the other
use it in different ways concerning the immediate environment. Once
this is done easily, another word is picked. After 20 words, the twins
turn about. Any flunk results in both twins fully clearing the word
again.

6E. There are 40 sentences given, containing 119 marked small common
words. There are other small words that are not marked. The students
are to correctly define each marked word in the sense used, the coach
referring to the answers at the bottom of the page to ensure the correct
meaning is given. On any flunks, both twins re-clear each definition
of the word, as usual. Example sentences, where the word to define has
an asterisk after it:
He will* have to live off* bread and* milk for* a long time.
What* is he trying to* say?
What* did they* want to do* that for*?

6F. Call the supervisor and say you're done. At this point, if I remember
it correctly, there is a written test administered by the Supervisor
on Joe and Sally. If Joe gets it reasonably correct, both Joe and Sally
just re-clear each definition of the few words missed and that's it for
section 6, once Sally has done the same. If either really screw up,
they both redo the whole of 6C through 6F again. Most of the time is
spent doing 6C. The small, common words are usually each "fully" cleared
several times in the process of getting through section 6. It's a big
win to get through section 6.

7A. This is a book on how to use a regular dictionary and what every
single general word and symbol in a simple dictionary means. This isn't
all the words defined in the dictionary, but the things like the parts
of speech, pronunciation key, abbreviations used, etc. It is read aloud
with one's twin, as usual on KTL. There are lots and lots of drills.

8. ?

9A. "The New Grammar". It's about 600 pages long, but it's big print.
It's all done reading aloud, clearing words and doing drills as before.
Lots of drills! This is the no-holds-barred section, where you learn
the standard language for the different variations and understand how
to name the parts of and construct a sentence like "She wondered whether
she would have been being screwed over still if she had not left."

9B?--?. Fairly quick other things, but I forget what.

9B?-? +1. Final exam. No fast flow for anyone. If you screw up a bit,
it's a small correction cycle. If you screw up a lot--guess what?!!

Note that there is no drill where you pick up any HCOB, say, and define
each of the small common words in it in the way it is used in the HCOB.
It might be tempting to add that in, but the course does not stretch
to that hard of a gradient. But it is tough enough.

It is VERY hard to deliver the KTL course standardly. A bulletin in
the delivery course about earlier pilot courses said that if the delivery
terminals had not each personally completed a standard course, they uniformly
screwed up students doing the course under them. Each of the three main
delivery terminals (sup, C/S, auditor) had to have done the KTL course
standardly first. Run right, with spot-on tech from all concerned, it
can be done in 3 weeks (I think it was 3 weeks). But this was on a Sea
Org FULL-TIME schedule with 15 minute meal-breaks and approx. 7 hours
sleep and NOTHING else except getting up and dressed, getting to course,
going home at the end of the day and straight to bed. The students
were RPF members who were told that if they got through the course on
time they would be reprieved from the RPF and put on post at ITO delivering
the KTL course; and if they didn't they would get dumped in the RPFs
RPF (or something dire). The delivery team were tech missionaires from
Int. There was a lot of incentive to get through fast!

Maybe some ex-KTL delivery people here could fill in some more details.

From my observation, it was hard to get KTL delivered standardly at Class
V orgs. Hell, it was hard getting it delivered standardly at ITO! I
would imagine it is next to impossible to get anything approaching a
standard KTL course in the FZ.

The good news is that the books are readily available and not confidential,
although expensive. A new set from the publisher costs $1250 per their
website. One could maybe buy a second-hand set for $300 to $400, or
borrow/rent one from a friendly FZer.

One could just use the 6C book to clear definitions of the small words
and do drills. There are LOTS of drills in the books. Similarly for
the 9A grammar book to read up on and practise grammar. It would be
a high crime to cherry-pick bits like that in the CofS and call it a
KTL course, and I'm sure they don't deliver anything other than the full
course, but what's new?

It wouldn't be doing anything close to the KTL course, but there again
you wouldn't be starting on a possible 3-year cycle that in the CofS
you would HAVE to finish before doing anything else.

Paul

Smitty

Silver Meritorious Patron
Reply to Chipgallo

When I did the KTL/LOC in 1990, there was a section at the beginning called Clay Table De-PTS'ing. Did you not have it?

Clay table processing was brought back from its abandonment in 1964.
It did not work so well then, as now.

This entire literacy push supposedly came out of the "World Out of Comm" eval done in the 1970's, with the big "why" for the world's problems being reading. The KTL is a pretty low gradient for college grads, but even with them I have seen people who had trouble putting a sentence together in writing. The big cartoons in the KTL books must have been degrading to many ...

The internet is bringing the world into communication. But, corporate scientology despises the internet because it cannot monopolize it.

I heard that they had to revamp the Life Orientation Course because staff were realizing that their goals in some cases did NOT align with being a staff member. That is when I blew for good, after the LOC.

That is correct. Hubbard regarded his speculations as fact, and there scientology came about.
Smitty

barky

Patron with Honors
Dulloldfart, it sounds like a load of horsesh*t. Seriously.

OK, fine, for the illiterate, maybe it has some value. I know if I was put on it, I'd revolt. 'Course then I'd be on endless ethics cycles. :grouch: