What's new

Oklahoma: Narconon Arrowhead Legislation Planned

OperatingSP

Patron with Honors
KOKH Fox 25 News: Narconon Arrowhead Legislation Planned

http://www.okcfox.com/newsroom/top_...onon-arrowhead-legislation-planned-6283.shtml

Narconon Arrowhead Legislation Planned

An Oklahoma Senator is planning to draft legislation in wake of the deaths at a rehab facility in Canadian, Oklahoma. Senator Tom Ivester says he plans to work with officials at the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services to author his legislation. Ivester says his legislation will be aimedat "regulating questionable practices of a drug treatment program with close ties to the Church of Scientology."

In July, Stacy Murphy became the third person to die at the facility in a nine month period.

The Oklahoma Department of Mental Health is currently investigating Narconon Arrowhead. The Pittsburg County District Attorney is also investigating the facility. It is still deciding whether or not criminal charges will be filed against the facility for the death of Stacy Murphy. However, it is still waiting for the Pittsburg County Sheriff's Office to turn over the results of its investigation. It is also waiting for the Medical Examiner's Office to release its toxicology report from Stacy Murphy's death.

Fox 25 will have more on this story tonight on the Fox 25 News after the football game.

MARISA MENDELSON

INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER

[email protected]
http://www.oksenate.gov/news/press_releases/press_releases_2012/pr20120817a.html

[SIZE=+3]Oklahoma State Senate
[/SIZE]
Communications Division
State Capitol
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73105​
For Immediate Release: August 17, 2012​

Ivester plans legislation in wake of Narconon Arrowhead deaths

Sen. Tom Ivester said he will work with officials at Oklahoma’s Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services to author legislation aimed at regulating questionable practices of a drug treatment program with close ties to the Church of Scientology.​

“A recent in-depth investigation by NBC’s national news program, “Rock Center,” highlighted the story of three people who walked into the Narconon Arrowhead facility expecting to leave with a new outlook on life but ended up losing their lives,” Ivester said. “The parents trusted Narconon to give their children the help they needed to get clean. Instead they got a phone call telling them their child would not be coming home alive.”​

Ivester said he believes the state could impose strict regulations of unorthodox drug treatment programs, like the one being run at Narconon Arrowhead that requires patients to endure five hours of extreme heat in a sauna and taking questionable doses of the vitamin Niacin.​

“There are proven treatment regimens to help people deal with the illness of addiction and we have a duty to ensure that programs being offered within the borders of Oklahoma are strongly regulated to ensure the upmost safety for these vulnerable patients and their families,” said the Democrat from Sayre.​

The lawmaker said a quick legal search revealed no less than 15 lawsuits against the facility on Lake Eufaula.​

“Clearly something isn’t right and we have a moral obligation to do everything in our power to end this predatory business being run by the Church of Scientology disguised as drug treatment,” he said.

Ivester vowed not to stop until legislation is signed into law ending these senseless deaths and the exploitation of desperate family members.​

“This is a disgusting business that preys on desperate family members and their sick loved ones, scamming them out of thousands of dollars with the promise of providing hope and new life,” Ivester said. “It’s a disgrace to have these people operating in the state of Oklahoma. Too many lives have been lost under their watch.”​

For more information contact:
Sen. Ivester: (405) 521-5545​

Lone Star

Crusader
It took a massive dose of media exposure to get the maggot politicians in gear to do their goddamn job. Unfortunately it took 3 deaths in 9 months to get the media exposure.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

I am thrilled to see Senator Ivestor take up the cause of ridding the fine state of Oklahoma of the "scamming", "disgrace" and lost lives at the hands of Scientology.

Ivester vowed not to stop until legislation is signed into law ending these senseless deaths and the exploitation of desperate family members.

“This is a disgusting business that preys on desperate family members and their sick loved ones, scamming them out of thousands of dollars with the promise of providing hope and new life,” Ivester said. “It’s a disgrace to have these people operating in the state of Oklahoma. Too many lives have been lost under their watch.” (Senator Ivester)

I wonder what the "com lag" will be from the time Senator Ivestor announced that he was going to put an end to Scientology's criminality until someone is literally going thru his garbage cans looking for any angle to destroy him, his career and his family.

It's quite an inside joke (and not a funny one) that people are actually using the word Narconon instead of Scientology. There is no difference between someone walking into a Scientology org/mission and a Narconon center. They are both routed at great expense onto The Bridge to Total Freedom, beginning with TRs, Purification Rundown, LRH tapes, et al.

One can only imagine the "explanations" given to staff (Narconon and Int and ABLE) why 4 people recently died. I hate to even say the words, but it was most certainly "psychs" who ruined these people and caused their deaths.

At one event they brag endlessly about how they defeated and "shattered the psychs" and at another even they scream and beg for donations because the psychs are taking over.

Insane tech. People driven insane by it. Doing insane things. And writing success stories about all of this.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
T
It took a massive dose of media exposure to get the maggot politicians in gear to do their goddamn job. Unfortunately it took 3 deaths in 9 months to get the media exposure.

I have said repeatedly on this board that the **only** way to get government action against Scientology would be to make inaction a political liability.

I believe we have reached that point.

Lone Star

Crusader
T

I have said repeatedly on this board that the **only** way to get government action against Scientology would be to make inaction a political liability.

I believe we have reached that point.

Yes, and Oklahoma clearly does not want to be known as the State that did nothing even after the NBC Rock Center investigative story. No matter how hard DM and his goons will try to stop any action, something punitive will come down from the OK politicians and state agencies. If anything, the Dept. of Health and Human Services will probably restrict or hopefully eliminate the five hour daily sauna and mega dosages of niacin. I also think they will mandate that a real licensed medical staff be on site at all times. That this was never mandated in the first place is disgraceful.

Wouldn't it be funny if they mandated that a Psych be employed by them? :lol:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93U9Q0312U8[/video]

Thanks for posting that.

As Scientology spreads, under differently cloaked front groups, the destruction of lives spreads.

This is what happens when the medical fraud of L. Ron Hubbard, David Miscavige and other Scientologists is allowed to sell its "tech".

People die.

There is no reason to even listen to Scientology's coverup & lies. Their license to operate (Narconon) should be pulled while they are investigated by state agencies charged with the protection of innocent people who are being lured into a Scientology death trap.

The investigation will not go well for Scientology or Narconon. Their deception and charlatanism will quickly become visible.

Thanks, Senator Ivestor, we support your uncompromising humanitarian work.

That is, what insane orders has David Miscavige’s Scientology Inc issued that resulted in such a meltdown? Four people dying at Narconon? One person is too many. And even that would have been inconceivable ten years ago. And Narconon and Gary Smith showing the same type of disdain for human life that one has come to expect from David Miscavige? What has become of Narconon?
Gee Marty, I guess you need a new chapter in your next book "Making the Purif work: getting back to basics" and maybe you can get people to run around a pole in rubber suits and get the real gains achieved on LRH's ground breaking original research. Maybe Dr. Sheilds can write a line or two you can quote, validating your getting it back on the rails.

Mimsey

Wants2Talk

Silver Meritorious Patron

I wonder what the "com lag" will be from the time Senator Ivestor announced that he was going to put an end to Scientology's criminality until someone is literally going thru his garbage cans looking for any angle to destroy him, his career and his family.

Can someone advise him of Fair Game? - Please, perhaps this takes more than email. Is there a way to meeat with him - before Marty does.

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Gee Marty, I guess you need a new chapter in your next book "Making the Purif work: getting back to basics" and maybe you can get people to run around a pole in rubber suits and get the real gains achieved on LRH's ground breaking original research. Maybe Dr. Sheilds can write a line or two you can quote, validating your getting it back on the rails.

Mimsey

I know that this is meant to be tongue in cheek, but I think HH's original question is legitimate. Slappy's been in charge (squirrelling, Marty would say) since the early 80's (yes, LRH died in 86, but he was only nominally in charge with Davey and the Broeker's were making their respective power grabs muche earlier). With Davey in charge as long as he has been, I think it's legitimate to ask about a meltdown and what could be causing it. This kill rate is really unprecedented - even by Co$ / "Corporate Scientology" standards.

OperatingSP

Patron with Honors
New Talk Radio KRMG: After three recent deaths, lawmen, lawmakers looking hard at Narconon
http://www.krmg.com/news/news/local/after-three-recent-deaths-lawmen-lawmakers-looking/nRFF8/

Excerpt:
Investigators say she apparently died of a drug overdose, but family members want to know how she could have remained undiscovered for hours.

Sheriff Kerns tells KRMG he believes the facility needs to have medical staff on site at all times.

"It's the same as my facility that I run here," he said. "To deal with these type of people that's addicted to these types of drugs, you have to furnish medical care to them."

Tulsa World: Letter recounts death at Narconon Arrowhead
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20120818_11_A1_StateD435534

Excerpt:
State Department of Mental Health officials received a five-page complaint in early December detailing illegal drug use between staff and "students" at a rehabilitation facility near McAlester and the October death of a 32-year-old Claremore man at the facility.

The letter's author, whose name was redacted from a copy supplied through a World open records request, said he was terrified by his month at Narconon Arrowhead, a rehab facility rooted in the teachings of Scientology on the shore of Lake Eufaula.

In his month there, he describes his observations about the death of fellow Narconon student Gabriel Graves.

I know that this is meant to be tongue in cheek, but I think HH's original question is legitimate. Slappy's been in charge (squirreling, Marty would say) since the early 80's (yes, LRH died in 86, but he was only nominally in charge with Davey and the Broeker's were making their respective power grabs much earlier). With Davey in charge as long as he has been, I think it's legitimate to ask about a meltdown and what could be causing it. This kill rate is really unprecedented - even by Co$ / "Corporate Scientology" standards.

Yes, one could blame Davie - but read this which I posted on the recent VV blog on NN's ex pres Lucas Patton.

Well, Lucas has assured his declare. Too bad really. Had Hubbard decided to do a valid drug treatment program, he could have done so easily. He had the funds to pay for proper medical research, he had an organization dedicated to catering to his wishes, he had a cadre of idealistic people who would want and support such a program. Yet he chose to put together a hodge podge of medical quackery, placebo effect / faith healing based drug rehab procedure ( the Purification Rundown) and then market it in both Scientology and Narconon. So, it is sad when good hearted people are collateral damage, but I applaud Lucas for taking a stand. It is a tragedy when this organization betrays the good intentions of its followers with deception stemming from it's founder's lack of morals.

The problem stems from Hubbard's uber-egotistical know best mentality, and his thinking he is the consummate professional in all fields of endeavor, without regard to facts to the contrary. Those deaths stem from his lack of moral fiber, not Dwarfmeister's execution of the purif delivery in the church and NN. Had Hubbard had a shred of morals, we would have 4 people still alive and possibly a drug rehab program that got results.
Mimsey

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Yes, one could blame Davie - but read this which I posted on the recent VV blog on NN's ex pres Lucas Patton.

The problem stems from Hubbard's uber-egotistical know best mentality, and his thinking he is the consummate professional in all fields of endeavor, without regard to facts to the contrary. Those deaths stem from his lack of moral fiber, not Dwarfmeister's execution of the purif delivery in the church and NN. Had Hubbard had a shred of morals, we would have 4 people still alive and possibly a drug rehab program that got results.
Mimsey

While I agree completely with what you say, it still doesn't explain the high number of recent deaths. I realize that it could be a total coincidence that three people died within 9 months, but I'm wondering if the Co$ death spiral isn't to blame.

And I don't even think that Purif is to blame for all of this. The culture of drug abuse within the NN facility, trading sex for drugs, lack of training, non-medical unsupervised cold turkey withdrawals (which can kill alcoholics), ... all could be to blame. Or maybe something else that we don't even know about is to blame.

shadow

Patron with Honors
While I agree completely with what you say, it still doesn't explain the high number of recent deaths. I realize that it could be a total coincidence that three people died within 9 months, but I'm wondering if the Co$ death spiral isn't to blame.

It is likely easier to get family and friends of people that are in scn into NN. As the numbers of this population dwindles, more unsuspecting public have to be tricked into going to NN by hiding ties to scn and disguising the program with terminology used by other alternative practices.

As NN get more desperate to fill beds (and with the referral sites trying to maximize fees), they are advertising for services that they are not licensed to offer (NN Georgia advertises inpatient rehab when they only have an outpatient program); misleading the judicial system to get drug offenders into the program (refer to NN Georgia's current law suit at reaching for the tipping point) or for services that even conflict the NN model (dual diagnosis). They are taking people that are on medications for existing and sometimes serious medical conditions, for who taking away their medications, hours of sauna and mega doses of potentially toxic vitamins pose a much higher risk. Then because the staff think Hubbard knows best and they have no medical training, they take away medications and push everyone to complete the sauna and vitamin regimen without regard to the risk to these people (which they do not even recognize). Then if something goes wrong, they do not call for medical help, so that they do not cause a flap, and people die.

So basically, I think in order to keep bodies coming in the door, as more people learn to avoid a scn linked program, NN has to recruit and accept people into the program that they might have avoided in the past.

The reports of rampant drug abuse by staff and availability of drugs for clients must be an added risk to these people, but I do not know if this has increased over the years. Is it possible that they have become more reluctant to kick people out of the program because they would be asked for a refund and there would be more reports of staff drug use in the form of complaints?

Where do you get rampant drug use from? I don't think that fits in with their meme. That is something the scios involved in the program would come down hard on. My persona uninformed belief is the last girl that OD'd was typical of someone who was off the drug for a while, and then takes their old dose and croaks. As an example, see how Tim Buckley passed away:
Death

On June 28, 1975, Buckley completed the last show of a tour in Dallas, Texas, playing to a sold-out venue with 1,800 people in attendance.[1] Buckley celebrated the culmination of the tour with a weekend of drinking with his band and friends, as was his normal routine. On the evening of June 29, 1975, Buckley accompanied long-time friend Richard Keeling back to his house in the hope of obtaining heroin.[4] After spending approximately an hour at the house, Buckley, in his inebriated state, walked in on Keeling while he was having sex, causing an argument between the two.[1] Keeling, trying to placate him, handed Buckley a large dose of heroin and challenged him to "Go ahead, take it all", which he did.

Following this, Buckley was in such a bad condition that friends took him home. Upon his return home, his wife, Judy, seeing his inebriated state, laid him on a pillow on their living room floor and questioned his friends as to what had happened.[4] Judy then moved Buckley into bed. Checking on him later, she found he had turned blue and was no longer breathing. Attempts by friends and paramedics to revive him were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead on arrival.[1]

Having diligently controlled his drug habit while on the road, his tolerance was lowered, and the combination of the drugs he took mixed with the amount of alcohol he had consumed throughout the day was too much. The coroner's report by Dr. Joseph H. Choi stated that he died at 9:42pm, June 29, 1975, from "acute heroin/morphine and ethanol intoxication due to inhalation and ingestion of overdose".[17] Long-time friend and lead guitarist, Lee Underwood, has stated that "on many previous occasions Buckley had ingested considerably more alcohol and drugs than this."

Mimsey

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Where do you get rampant drug use from? I don't think that fits in with their meme. That is something the scios involved in the program would come down hard on. My persona uninformed belief is the last girl that OD'd was typical of someone who was off the drug for a while, and then takes their old dose and croaks. As an example, see how Tim Buckley passed away:

It was mentioned in the Rock Center report. David has also talked about it quite a bit.

shadow

Patron with Honors
Where do you get rampant drug use from? I don't think that fits in with their meme. That is something the scios involved in the program would come down hard on. My persona uninformed belief is the last girl that OD'd was typical of someone who was off the drug for a while, and then takes their old dose and croaks. As an example, see how Tim Buckley passed away:Mimsey

I get the idea there is rampant drug use at NN from what I have read about NN. I listed a couple below (sorry for the length). Maybe I just notice the drug use because it seems at odds with the goals of any drug treatment facility, so it kind of sticks out. Also notable is that this is a situation when random drug tests are supposed to be done, but are either not done, or there are no records on the investigation reports I have read.

Narconon Oklahoma:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20120818_11_A1_StateD435534
Letter recounts death at Narconon Arrowhead (author’s name was redacted)
State Department of Mental Health officials received a five-page complaint in early December detailing illegal drug use between staff and "students" at a rehabilitation facility near McAlester and the October death of a 32-year-old Claremore man at the facility.
And from VV: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runni...ology_narconon_oklahoma_stacy_dawn_murphy.php
Henderson himself was a patient at the center in July 2007. Since then, he's been trying to get the word out about Narconon's quack science, its reliance on low-paid non-medical staff, rampant drug abuse among patients, and dangerous conditions for patients in withdrawal.

David Love’s comments about Narconon Trois Rivers http://narcononcanada.com/: Many of the staff were recent graduates from Narconon and were living in an apartment complex nearby. The majority had relapsed soon after their program and came to work at Narconon dead tired or still high from the group drug parties that raged through the nights. And with illegal drug activity comes more life threatening experiences – GUNS!... On New Year’s Day, the Narconon staff cocaine and alcohol party left one young man dead from a gun that was passed to him at the party. This young man had gone through the Narconon program more than once and did not receive any medically accepted aftercare – only Scientology rubbish. One might say, as the cult usually does, “Oh that was just an isolated incident and not the usual Narconon style or practice.” Unfortunately as countless evidence documents and witness statements declare, the deadly activity that was ignored by executives at Narconon Trois-Rivieres is common place in many other Narconons.

Michigan:
Nurse license suspended twice for drug abuse: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Stop-Narconon/StoneHawk/; vince daniels show: An even more amazing Vince Daniels show (February 24, 2007), with stories from Narconon survivors and allegations about drug and alcohol use at Stone Hawk. Transcripts: segments 1, 2, 3, 4. And from https://groups.google.com/forum/?fr...n.scientology/0I7s4_1k5ss/Xx9r6rOjbzwJ[1-25]: VINCE DANIELS: [...] I received 3:30 the other morning, Friday morning, a letter. I can't identify this guy but he's an employee of Stone Hawk and it says right here. First off, I need to know that my name will not be used because I am still employed with Stone Hawk and need my job. Next, I have listened to the show that aired about a week ago and I wanted to add my input. One of your callers stated that the guards were involved with getting the students drunk and high. This is not true. The security officers were not involved until it was discovered that the students were using. The employee that did supply the alcohol and drugs is, in fact, Kate Wickstrom's brother. He was accepting sexual favors in exchange for the alcohol and drugs.

Georgia:
http://alley.ethercat.com/storage/1...mendedComplaintToAddAllegationsAndClaims.pdf: Instead, NNG actually permitted employees monitoring other students in the treatment program to consume alcohol and routinely found other students either under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or in possession of the same.

That may be in those places. Would that just be those few? I knew Mary Reisner from Georgia - she was on 7 when I was. Allowing something like that would cost her dearly. I was surprised to find out she was falsifying that it was an in-patient facility. Must be a lot of pressure to deliver the coins. To some extent, using ex- druggies is a flawed organizational policy. I presume, management was unaware of the drug use. I say that, not as an apology, but that it would be fairly easy for them to do drugs on the sly, and fool management.

Mimsey

Terril park

Sponsor

And I don't even think that Purif is to blame for all of this. The culture of drug abuse within the NN facility, trading sex for drugs, lack of training, non-medical unsupervised cold turkey withdrawals (which can kill alcoholics), ... all could be to blame. Or maybe something else that we don't even know about is to blame.

Excellent points NN.

Cold turkey can kill alcoholics? Please expound. Don't think this data is known here. Or widely.

On a related tangent I had someone saying I did L-11 whilst drunk posted around 12 times. Also that my OEC/FEBC completion was faked for a similar number of times.

This was on a FZ facebook forum " Scientology Muster".

Anyone interested in further info?