What's new

"LRH did not place nearly enough emphasis on medical supervision of the [Purif]"

OperatingSP

Patron with Honors
Very interesting sub-threat on Marty's blog about the Purif. It came up in the context of the discussion of NN Arrowhead, but the discussion in more broadly relevant -- and not at all limited to the Independent Scientology scene.

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/08/16/narconon-scientology-inc-cover-up/#comment-221545

Don Cramer | August 17, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Reply
I haven’t read the references in years, but I’ve C/S’d hundreds of people through the Purification Rundown and in retrospect it is clear that LRH did not place nearly enough emphasis on the medical supervision aspect of the program – which was also compounded by his repeated condemnation of the medical profession that rubbed off on me and every other Scientologist I’ve ever known.

Although I studied pre-med courses in college, have a degree in biology, was VERY sensitive to the symptoms of heat stroke and heat exhaustion, made sure that EVERYONE had a twin before I allowed them to start the program (talk about flaps), and insisted on periodic blood pressure checks, it was still sheer luck that that no-one ever died on my watch. I feel blessed it never happened. And yes, the above are my attempted justifications for placing people in a potentially deadly situation.

I won’t bother going into the lack of thoroughness of most pre-Purif medical screenings I’ve witnessed over the years (despite the use of the MD information package), but I’m sure you other Purif C/S’s and I/C’s have noted similar situations. I don’t think I need to say any more except that if anyone is running or planning to run a purification center of their own, you really need to understand the strenuousness of the program on the circulatory system and liver, the absolute necessity of a THOROUGH medical evaluation, and vigilant medical supervision. I’m not going to say I’ve never seen results, even miraculous ones, from the program, but the entire modus operandi of how it is administered needs to be changed.

Finally, I’d like to end by giving my public condolences to the family of Dan Kolbenschlag, CPA, who was my accountant until he reportedly died of heart failure after doing a Purification R/D at the Washington, DC org several years ago. He was a good man and it was heartbreaking talking to his daughter when arranging to get my tax records. Peace be with you.

And Mike Hoy, I love you but wake the fuck up, smell the coffee and get out of the Narcanon Network AND the church.
noteacherleftstanding | August 18, 2012 at 10:36 am | Reply

“… in retrospect it is clear that LRH did not place nearly enough emphasis on the medical supervision aspect of the program – which was also compounded by his repeated condemnation of the medical profession that rubbed off on me and every other Scientologist I’ve ever known.”

You make an important and well-reasoned point, Don.

While LRH stressed the importance of medical screenings for a variety of ills (including psychotic episodes), the pre-screening and oversight of the purif was lax, at best, from my observation. And this is a good example of where his work can be refined and improved; heretical as it may seem to some.

Vic K.
TroubleShooter | August 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Reply

“LRH did not place nearly enough emphasis on the medical supervision aspect of the program – which was also compounded by his repeated condemnation of the medical profession that rubbed off on me and every other Scientologist I’ve ever known.”

True words spoken.

In decades of experience I heard of no deaths by purif in any orgs. That doesn’t mean there weren’t but I haven’t learned of any since working on my doctorate on “Scientology: The After-Math” (so-to-speak and referring to the time period since I was able to separate ME out from me+Scientology. It IS surprising to me that this is the case considering how many exams to do the Purif are done by chiros etc who are onlines in an org and feel elevated to some higher level of importance it seems to be asked to do these medical exams.

Do thorough interviews and use MDs to do the exams. The results of the program are undeniably to me.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
LRH wanted to BE GOD - the most powerful being in the universe - so he needed to convince himself that Scientology worked. Funny thing - he even conned himself and look at how he ended up the last 15 years of his life.

Hiding
Sick
Isolated
Broken and shattered family
Threw his wife under the bus
Threw his gay son under the bus
Threw all of his dynamics under the bus
Got run over by the bus!:happydance:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

"LRH did not place nearly enough emphasis on medical supervision of the Purif."

Not nearly enough?

There is absolutely NO medical basis for the purif to begin with!

If Hubbard had (instead of sweating for 5 hours) "discovered" thru his "research" that the "tech" of the purification rundown was to drink Koolade for 5 hours a day while sitting on a toilet and urinating at intervals, that's exactly what Narconon and Scientologists would be doing.

And if he made a "breakthrough" that they need to be hooked up to an e-meter and find reading body parts indicating that there are resistive urine repositories in those parts of the body that give a "fall"-- and one is supposed to narrowly focus one's attention on that body part until the toxic-laden urine is released into the toilet, then people would be writing success stories about the color of their piss.

Seriously.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron

"LRH did not place nearly enough emphasis on medical supervision of the Purif."

Not nearly enough?

There is absolutely NO medical basis for the purif to begin with!

If Hubbard had (instead of sweating for 5 hours) "discovered" thru his "research" that the "tech" of the purification rundown was to drink Koolade for 5 hours a day while sitting on a toilet and urinating at intervals, that's exactly what Narconon and Scientologists would be doing.

And if he made a "breakthrough" that they need to be hooked up to an e-meter and find reading body parts indicating that there are resistive urine repositories in those parts of the body that give a "fall"-- and one is supposed to narrowly focus one's attention on that body part until the toxic-laden urine is released into the toilet, then people would be writing success stories about the color of their piss.

Seriously.

You have a winning program there ... all that needs to change is to substitute beer instead of the KoolAide, and have a bar setting for the beer, with some cute targets to aim at in the urinal. The gals in the program could use a special funnel for aiming purposes, of course. It would be a smashing success, just toss in a designated driver. Everybody's needle would be floating, and fun would be had by all. The EP would be reaching some arbitrary target for tolerance. Of course, while you were drinking beer and pissing, you would be ridding the body of all the residues of ILLEGAL drugs.

Pete

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
LRH wanted to BE GOD - the most powerful being in the universe - so he needed to convince himself that Scientology worked. Funny thing - he even conned himself and look at how he ended up the last 15 years of his life.

Hiding
Sick
Isolated

That's one of the potential downsides of being a cult guru ... if you stay in character day after day for the benefit of your dedicated, spiritually conditioned adherents, you run the risk of indoctrinating yourself. A cult guru needs to get away and decompress from time to time, apart from his devotees. This is covered in the advanced seminar.

Pete

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
You have a winning program there ... all that needs to change is to substitute beer instead of the KoolAide, and have a bar setting for the beer, with some cute targets to aim at in the urinal. The gals in the program could use a special funnel for aiming purposes, of course. It would be a smashing success, just toss in a designated driver. Everybody's needle would be floating, and fun would be had by all. The EP would be reaching some arbitrary target for tolerance. Of course, while you were drinking beer and pissing, you would be ridding the body of all the residues of ILLEGAL drugs.

Pete

In that case, I think I did the research for it last night. Really. LOLOL

Jump

Operating teatime

Hiding
Sick
Isolated

I think it was a Bluebird motorhome :coolwink:

A.K. Myers

Patron with Honors
I have been following the thread over in Marty Land (tm).

Donchano that the reason those people died is because of
the evil espee David Misscabbage. Like the rest of Standard
Drek, things only went bad when the bad old dictator showed
up and perverted it. Before that everything was peachy.

It certainly couldn't be Ron's fault. His research was as sound
as any that he did for the rest of his "bridge." Anybody who
would even consider that Ron was in error must be a Hater.
Standard Drek (tm) has always helped people when properly
applied.

We aren't sure why so many of those early Saint Hillers and
founding Sea Ogres became espees prior to the horrible DM
monster's arrival, so we don't think about that period. It is
easier that way.

Watch Marty Land (tm) for new postings of wealthy FSMs who
used to feed off of "getting folks up the bridge" who have
suddenly realized that they won't be getting a piece of the IAS
donations. Suddenly (after thirty years +) they see how
non-standard things have become under DM.

I wonder if they pay FSM commissions in Marty Land (tm)?

:coolwink:

NoName

A Girl Has No Name

Pete

I'll sign up to be your test subject if you make some catchy LRH and DM piss targets.

phenomanon

Canyon

Hiding
Sick
Isolated

Do you know the difference between L Ron Hubbard and God?

God didn't think that He was L Ron Hubbard.

nyuck nyuck

phenomanon