What's new

Bill Burroughs' vision - Let's explore inner space

Well, now you've done it Veda! :biggrin: You've opened the floodgates now! :coolwink:

I've gone and looked up one of my favorite guys to quote of all time:

:happydance: Pierre Teilhard de Chardin quotes ~

“Someday, after mastering the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love, and then, for a second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.”
― Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”

“Our duty, as men and women, is to proceed as if limits to our ability did not exist. We are collaborators in creation.”

“Do not forget that the value and interest of life is not so much to do conspicuous things...as to do ordinary things with the perception of their enormous value.”

“In the final analysis, the questions of why bad things happen to good people transmutes itself into some very different questions, no longer asking why something happened, but asking how we will respond, what we intend to do now that it happened.”

“It doesn't matter if the water is cold or warm if you're going to have to wade through it anyway.”

“We are one, after all, you and I, together we suffer, together exist, and forever will recreate each other.”

“The world, this palpable world, which we were wont to treat with the boredom and disrespect with which we habitually regard places with no sacred association for us, is in truth a holy place, and we did not know it. Venite, adoremus.*”
― Pierre Teilhard de Chardin *(Come, let us adore it together)

“By means of all created things, without exception, the divine assails us, penetrates us, and molds us. We imagined it as distant and inaccessible, when in fact we live steeped in its burning layers”

“The most telling and profound way of describing the evolution of the universe would undoubtedly be to trace the evolution of love.”

“Blessed be you, mighty matter, irresistible march of evolution, reality ever newborn; you who, by constantly shattering our mental categories, force us to go ever further and further in our pursuit of the truth.”
― Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, Hymn of the Universe

“The whole life lies in the verb seeing.”

“The time has come to realise that an interpretation of the universe—even a positivist one—remains unsatisfying unless it covers the interior as well as the exterior of things; mind as well as matter. The true physics is that which will, one day, achieve the inclusion of man in his wholeness in a coherent picture of the world.”
― Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, The Phenomenon of Man

“The universe as we know it is a joint product of the observer and the observed.”

“The future belongs to those who give the next generation reason for hope.”

“There is almost a sensual longing for communion with others who have a large vision. The immense fulfillment of the friendship between those engaged in furthering the evolution of consciousness has a quality impossible to describe.”

“So many things which once had distressed or revolted him — the speeches and pronouncements of the learned, their assertions and their prohibitions, their refusal to allow the universe to move — all seemed to him now merely ridiculous, non-existent, compared with the majestic reality, the flood of energy, which now revealed itself to him: omnipresent, unalterable in its truth, relentless in its development, untouchable in its serenity, maternal and unfailing in its protectiveness.”

“Without you, without your onslaughts, without your uprootings of us, we should remain all our lives inert, stagnant, puerile, ignorant both of ourselves and of God. You who batter us and then dress our wounds, you who resist us and yield to us, you who wreck and build, you who shackle and liberate, the sap of our souls, the hand of God, the flesh of Christ: it is you, matter, that I bless.”

“If there were no internal propensity to unite, even at a prodigiously rudimentary level — indeed in the molecule itself — it would be physically impossible for love to appear higher up, with us, in hominized form. . . . Driven by the forces of love, the fragments of the world seek each other so that the world may come into being.”

“Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
We are quite naturally impatient in everything
to reach the end without delay.
We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
We are impatient of being on the way to something
unknown, something new.
And yet it is the law of all progress
that it is made by passing through
some stages of instability—
and that it may take a very long time.

And so I think it is with you;
your ideas mature gradually—let them grow,
let them shape themselves, without undue haste.
Don’t try to force them on,
as though you could be today what time
(that is to say, grace and circumstances
acting on your own good will)
will make of you tomorrow.

Only God could say what this new spirit
gradually forming within you will be.
Give Our Lord the benefit of believing
that his hand is leading you,
and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself
in suspense and incomplete.”

teilhard-1-sized.jpg

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
A couple of quotes I picked up along the way. I don't know the sources, but they make sense to me.

"The Jewish mystics speak of divine sparks hidden within all things. God is not someone up there running the show; God is the energy that animates all material existence. We can discover and “raise” the sparks by cultivating our awareness, by looking for spiritual opportunities. One of Shekhinah’s many names is the Secret of the Possible. The challenge is to actualize the divine potential in ourselves and in the world by choosing how to live lovingly and wisely. We can start by quieting our cluttered, busy mind with a few minutes of silence each day. Then it’s easier to identify the sparks, the possibilities of transformation."

"We all know the famous story near the beginning of Genesis about the expulsion from the Garden of Eden. It’s clear that God expels Adam and Eve from the garden. But the Zohar asks a startling question: Who threw whom out of the Garden? Through a very artistic and radical reading of the text, the Zohar suggests that Adam expelled God from the Garden! This seems impossible or heretical. But one way to understand this is that in some sense we’re still in the Garden—we just don’t realize it because we’ve lost touch with the spiritual dimension of life. The challenge is to reconnect with the divine reality that we have banished from our lives, to welcome God back in."

Wants2Talk

Silver Meritorious Patron
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Predicted the internet - the Noosphere see the Phenomenon of Man (1959):thumbsup:

I have loved this guy for 40 years.

G

Gottabrain

A couple of quotes I picked up along the way. I don't know the sources, but they make sense to me.

"The Jewish mystics speak of divine sparks hidden within all things. God is not someone up there running the show; God is the energy that animates all material existence. We can discover and “raise” the sparks by cultivating our awareness, by looking for spiritual opportunities. One of Shekhinah’s many names is the Secret of the Possible. The challenge is to actualize the divine potential in ourselves and in the world by choosing how to live lovingly and wisely. We can start by quieting our cluttered, busy mind with a few minutes of silence each day. Then it’s easier to identify the sparks, the possibilities of transformation."

"We all know the famous story near the beginning of Genesis about the expulsion from the Garden of Eden. It’s clear that God expels Adam and Eve from the garden. But the Zohar asks a startling question: Who threw whom out of the Garden? Through a very artistic and radical reading of the text, the Zohar suggests that Adam expelled God from the Garden! This seems impossible or heretical. But one way to understand this is that in some sense we’re still in the Garden—we just don’t realize it because we’ve lost touch with the spiritual dimension of life. The challenge is to reconnect with the divine reality that we have banished from our lives, to welcome God back in."

Thank you, Smilla. This was lovely and a startlingly new perspective. :thumbsup:

When I was in the SO, I had a sensation that "God couldn't see us there." Well, God had been expelled from there - lives were ruined, people were threatened, sent to RPF, cut off from their families, all in the name of Hubbard and Scientology. We'd lost touch. God had been expelled.

To see us now out here in the world as actually still being in the garden if we just change perspective and hear our inner spark and welcome God in our lives is a refreshing approach to the world. Thank you.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Well, now you've done it Veda! :biggrin: You've opened the floodgates now! :coolwink:

I've gone and looked up one of my favorite guys to quote of all time:

:happydance: Pierre Teilhard de Chardin quotes ~

“Someday, after mastering the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love, and then, for a second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.”

“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.”

“Our duty, as men and women, is to proceed as if limits to our ability did not exist. We are collaborators in creation.”

“Do not forget that the value and interest of life is not so much to do conspicuous things...as to do ordinary things with the perception of their enormous value.”

“In the final analysis, the questions of why bad things happen to good people transmutes itself into some very different questions, no longer asking why something happened, but asking how we will respond, what we intend to do now that it happened.”

“It doesn't matter if the water is cold or warm if you're going to have to wade through it anyway.”

“We are one, after all, you and I, together we suffer, together exist, and forever will recreate each other.”

“The world, this palpable world, which we were wont to treat with the boredom and disrespect with which we habitually regard places with no sacred association for us, is in truth a holy place, and we did not know it. Venite, adoremus.*”
― Pierre Teilhard de Chardin *(Come, let us adore it together)

“By means of all created things, without exception, the divine assails us, penetrates us, and molds us. We imagined it as distant and inaccessible, when in fact we live steeped in its burning layers”

“The most telling and profound way of describing the evolution of the universe would undoubtedly be to trace the evolution of love.”

“Blessed be you, mighty matter, irresistible march of evolution, reality ever newborn; you who, by constantly shattering our mental categories, force us to go ever further and further in our pursuit of the truth.”

“The whole life lies in the verb seeing.”

“The time has come to realise that an interpretation of the universe—even a positivist one—remains unsatisfying unless it covers the interior as well as the exterior of things; mind as well as matter. The true physics is that which will, one day, achieve the inclusion of man in his wholeness in a coherent picture of the world.”
― Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, The Phenomenon of Man

“The universe as we know it is a joint product of the observer and the observed.”

“The future belongs to those who give the next generation reason for hope.”

“There is almost a sensual longing for communion with others who have a large vision. The immense fulfillment of the friendship between those engaged in furthering the evolution of consciousness has a quality impossible to describe.”

“So many things which once had distressed or revolted him — the speeches and pronouncements of the learned, their assertions and their prohibitions, their refusal to allow the universe to move — all seemed to him now merely ridiculous, non-existent, compared with the majestic reality, the flood of energy, which now revealed itself to him: omnipresent, unalterable in its truth, relentless in its development, untouchable in its serenity, maternal and unfailing in its protectiveness.”

“Without you, without your onslaughts, without your uprootings of us, we should remain all our lives inert, stagnant, puerile, ignorant both of ourselves and of God. You who batter us and then dress our wounds, you who resist us and yield to us, you who wreck and build, you who shackle and liberate, the sap of our souls, the hand of God, the flesh of Christ: it is you, matter, that I bless.”

“If there were no internal propensity to unite, even at a prodigiously rudimentary level — indeed in the molecule itself — it would be physically impossible for love to appear higher up, with us, in hominized form. . . . Driven by the forces of love, the fragments of the world seek each other so that the world may come into being.”

“Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
We are quite naturally impatient in everything
to reach the end without delay.
We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
We are impatient of being on the way to something
unknown, something new.
And yet it is the law of all progress
that it is made by passing through
some stages of instability—
and that it may take a very long time.

And so I think it is with you;
your ideas mature gradually—let them grow,
let them shape themselves, without undue haste.
Don’t try to force them on,
as though you could be today what time
(that is to say, grace and circumstances
acting on your own good will)
will make of you tomorrow.

Only God could say what this new spirit
gradually forming within you will be.
Give Our Lord the benefit of believing
that his hand is leading you,
and accept the anxiety of feeling yourself
in suspense and incomplete.”

teilhard-1-sized.jpg

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

WOW! S&L, thanks so much for this!

Smilla

Ordinary Human
For Smilla and are other "floaters" and dolphin lovers, this is cool:

557308_453863337991725_1888391234_n.jpg

http://youtu.be/lC3AkGSigrA

Thanks for that - I've never seen it done, but they must have a good reason for doing it - just for fun, I expect :)

We're holidaying on my Dad's boat, sailing around the north west of Scotland up to Shetland, and maybe the Faroe Isles before we head home. I've been in the water quite a bit with the Dolphins over the last ten days or so, but still looking out for whales - none seen close enough to swim with yet.

Docked at Ullapool just now.

Lots of Harbour Porpoises about but they're shy, and don't seek out human company. They're pretty little things. The water is a bit cold, so I can't stay in long, even in my wetsuit.

... We're holidaying on my Dad's boat, sailing around the north west of Scotland up to Shetland, and maybe the Faroe Isles before we head home. I've been in the water quite a bit with the Dolphins over the last ten days or so, but still looking out for whales - none seen close enough to swim with yet.

Docked at Ullapool just now. ...

You have my envy. Those are waters in which I've often imagined what it would be like to sail. My mother's family has a connection to the region around Eilean Donan. I understand it's still quite a scenic region. There are some fascinating connections to history and the sea still extant up there.

Mark A. Baker

Smilla

Ordinary Human
You have my envy. Those are waters in which I've often imagined what it would be like to sail. My mother's family has a connection to the region around Eilean Donan. I understand it's still quite a scenic region. There are some fascinating connections to history and the sea still extant up there.

Mark A. Baker

Yes, it's a lovely part of the world, though I'm more familiar with the coast than inland. Your ancestors must have been very hardy - that area is rough country.