What's new

The Rhodesia Story

DartSmohen

Silver Meritorious Patron
This was told to me by the brother of the guy who was in Rhodesia with Hubbard in 1966. As to whether it is totally true or not, I will never know, but the two brothers were very dour, humourless management consultants from Manchester. I cannot think of any reason to doubt their story.

As you know, Hubbard was usually very down on anyone who thought they had been a famous person in a past life. Except him, of course.

Hubbard firmly believed he was Cecil Rhodes in his previous life. In fact, one of the main reasons he went to Rhodesia was to try and discover where Rhodes had hidden his treasure. (This treasure hunting was a theme through Hubbard's later life).

Cecil Rhodes was an outrageous homosexual in his day. In order to get into the "mindset" of Rhodes, Hubbard had to take on his attributes. this is rather ironic, considering Hubbard's intolerance of gay men and women.

He got a house out in the bush, very near the Rhodesian side of the Victoria Falls. The brother in Rhodesia (We shall call him JOE) was conscripted as Hubbard's gofor. There was no telephone and one job Joe did was to arrange a land line to be installed across 40 miles of open bush.

Hubbard was networking very closely with the Rhodesian Government, led by Ian Smith, Hubbard was looking to create a safe territory for Scn.

In order to get into the part of Rhodes, Hubbard apparently used to dress up in a kaftan, turban, embroidered slippers and used a long art-deco cigarette holder. He also apparently used face rouge.: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Joe drove down to the house one day and Hubbard opened the door.:omg: :dieslaughing:

Joe was gobsmacked. He suddenly remembered something in the car and was around the side of the house doubled over with hysterical laughter. Christ, what the hell is going on here!!:dieslaughing:

Anyway, Joe composes himself and tries to go back in again. It took three attempts to control the laughter.

In the house Hubbard is mincing about the place and Joe is ramming his nails into his hand to stop bursting out laughing. Hubbard is talking about his plans to find the treasure and also how his networking is going.

After a while Joe has to leave and quickly drives away, only to stop about one mile up the road, convulsed in laughter and now becoming rather worried about what he has become involved in.
A few days later Hubbard is in Bulawayo meeting with top officials and meets up with Joe. Everything is normal. Nothing is said about the incident.

This goes on for a few months, Joe down at the house, Hubbard all dressed up, still no idea about where the treasure is buried. Interestingly enough, nothing was ever mentioned to me about any drugs or stuff. There was plenty of drinks, also no reference to any upper level research.Hubbard invited dignatories down to the house on several occasions, where he entertained them well.

However, one day one of Ian Smith's men called by unannounced. Hubbard, decked out in all his finery, opened the door.! The look on the man's face must have been priceless!!:omg: :omg: :omg:

Within a couple of days Hubbard's visa was revoked and he was out of the country. He arrived back at London Airport to an organised welcoming crowd.

It was not long after this that the troubles started with Scientologists coming into the country.

Ian Smith had been in secret talks with the British Government over the resolution of Rhodesia's breakaway independence action. I personally have no doubt that Hubbards escapades in Rhodesia were fully mentioned at that time and that they may well have triggered the govermnent clampdown on Scn activities in the UK.

Hubbard gave a talk on Rhodesia. Obviously he said nothing about what really went on. Instead he went on about OT's needing to work together, how they could not succeed alone. For Hubbard, the Rhodesia incident became a closed book.

I asked Joe one day about Rhodesia and all he would say was "Don't get me started on that" (said laughingly). :clap: :clap:

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hubbard came back from Rhodesia and stated "A lone OT will fail!"

What he left out was: Especially if they dress up in a kaftan, turban, embroidered slippers, use a long art-deco cigarette holder and face rouge.

He also stated: "It takes a team of OTs to win!" He also left out: "We'll dress them in pretty sailor suits - and they can salute each other and call each other, Sir!"
:roflmao:

I had heard about this Rhodesian episode from two other sources - a fairly high up GO person who had to try and help LRH stay in the UK - and someone who had audited one of the brothers. I had to clean the auditor up (coffee shop) as what came up caved him in! :omg:

Apparently Ian Smith the then Prime Minister of Rhodesia was still in talks with the Prime Minister of England Harold Wilson and the subject of LRH came up that started a whole chain of events - which eventually led to LRH forming the SO and also led to him escaping arrest for deportation at the last moment - when we stole out of Southhampton in the middle of the night on the Royal Scotsman's maiden voyage.

Ah! The good old days! - Such intrigue, such adventure and such comedy! :)

Alan

Last edited:

Colleen K. Peltomaa

This was told to me by the brother of the guy who was in Rhodesia with Hubbard in 1966. As to whether it is totally true or not, I will never know, but the two brothers were very dour, humourless management consultants from Manchester. I cannot think of any reason to doubt their story.

As you know, Hubbard was usually very down on anyone who thought they had been a famous person in a past life. Except him, of course.

Hubbard firmly believed he was Cecil Rhodes in his previous life. In fact, one of the main reasons he went to Rhodesia was to try and discover where Rhodes had hidden his treasure. (This treasure hunting was a theme through Hubbard's later life).

Cecil Rhodes was an outrageous homosexual in his day. In order to get into the "mindset" of Rhodes, Hubbard had to take on his attributes. this is rather ironic, considering Hubbard's intolerance of gay men and women.

He got a house out in the bush, very near the Rhodesian side of the Victoria Falls. The brother in Rhodesia (We shall call him JOE) was conscripted as Hubbard's gofor. There was no telephone and one job Joe did was to arrange a land line to be installed across 40 miles of open bush.

Hubbard was networking very closely with the Rhodesian Government, led by Ian Smith, Hubbard was looking to create a safe territory for Scn.

In order to get into the part of Rhodes, Hubbard apparently used to dress up in a kaftan, turban, embroidered slippers and used a long art-deco cigarette holder. He also apparently used face rouge.: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Joe drove down to the house one day and Hubbard opened the door.:omg: :dieslaughing:

Joe was gobsmacked. He suddenly remembered something in the car and was around the side of the house doubled over with hysterical laughter. Christ, what the hell is going on here!!:dieslaughing:

Anyway, Joe composes himself and tries to go back in again. It took three attempts to control the laughter.

In the house Hubbard is mincing about the place and Joe is ramming his nails into his hand to stop bursting out laughing. Hubbard is talking about his plans to find the treasure and also how his networking is going.

After a while Joe has to leave and quickly drives away, only to stop about one mile up the road, convulsed in laughter and now becoming rather worried about what he has become involved in.
A few days later Hubbard is in Bulawayo meeting with top officials and meets up with Joe. Everything is normal. Nothing is said about the incident.

This goes on for a few months, Joe down at the house, Hubbard all dressed up, still no idea about where the treasure is buried. Interestingly enough, nothing was ever mentioned to me about any drugs or stuff. There was plenty of drinks, also no reference to any upper level research.Hubbard invited dignatories down to the house on several occasions, where he entertained them well.

However, one day one of Ian Smith's men called by unannounced. Hubbard, decked out in all his finery, opened the door.! The look on the man's face must have been priceless!!:omg: :omg: :omg:

Within a couple of days Hubbard's visa was revoked and he was out of the country. He arrived back at London Airport to an organised welcoming crowd.

It was not long after this that the troubles started with Scientologists coming into the country.

Ian Smith had been in secret talks with the British Government over the resolution of Rhodesia's breakaway independence action. I personally have no doubt that Hubbards escapades in Rhodesia were fully mentioned at that time and that they may well have triggered the govermnent clampdown on Scn activities in the UK.

Hubbard gave a talk on Rhodesia. Obviously he said nothing about what really went on. Instead he went on about OT's needing to work together, how they could not succeed alone. For Hubbard, the Rhodesia incident became a closed book.

I asked Joe one day about Rhodesia and all he would say was "Don't get me started on that" (said laughingly). :clap: :clap:

It was very "OT" of him to be able to BE Rhodes, but not very OT to get caught at it.

DartSmohen

It was very "OT" of him to be able to BE Rhodes, but not very OT to get caught at it.

Very true.

I just get the MIP of Hubbard's "public" photo ( wearing a cravat) that was taken while he was there compared to the image of him all dressed up in his gear.

I still find it funny.

MarkWI

Patron Meritorious
LRH in Africa

lrh_africa.jpg

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Very true.

I just get the MIP of Hubbard's "public" photo ( wearing a cravat) that was taken while he was there compared to the image of him all dressed up in his gear.

I still find it funny.

Isn't anyone else seeing what I am seeing here? How comes Hubbard can't take himself into session, or with an auditor (and a little benzedrine), go into session, go wholetrack and see where he left the loot? Or, if he is so "risen above his bank", why can't he access the akashic records and get that swiss bank account number?

How comes I can do it and he can't? Maybe I should start a religion :coolwink:

Div6

Crusader
Hubbard never "rose above" the bank. He had "The Treasure GPM" in full restim, and was dramatizing his bank.

Keeerist - if I played dress up for some of my whole track identities, well, believe me you just don't want to go there.

Stuck in his own personal out-ethics....

Epic Fail.

Colleen K. Peltomaa

Hubbard never "rose above" the bank. He had "The Treasure GPM" in full restim, and was dramatizing his bank.

Keeerist - if I played dress up for some of my whole track identities, well, believe me you just don't want to go there.

Stuck in his own personal out-ethics....

Epic Fail.

Now my imagination is running wild -- Div-6 in full wholetrack costume! I'll show you my pictures if you show me yours, eh!

johnAnchovie

Still raging
Ron the mailman

Was this from "Ron the Mailman"?

:lol: :roflmao: :hysterical:

Yes, he developed the US Mail uniform in 1967, it is still in use across the Americas today, another one of Hubbard's humanitarian contributions that have been overlooked by successive suppressive governments.

No wonder he was so pissed off at them.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
:lol: :roflmao: :hysterical:

Yes, he developed the US Mail uniform in 1967, it is still in use across the Americas today, another one of Hubbard's humanitarian contributions that have been overlooked by successive suppressive governments.

No wonder he was so pissed off at them.

Ah! Finally something that explains the 'Millenium' segment on 'Selfpsophy' where post office clad buggers atttempt to control society.

Now it makes sense!

Zinj

Pascal

Hubbard came back from Rhodesia and stated "A lone OT will fail!"

What he left out was: Especially if they dress up in a kaftan, turban, embroidered slippers, use a long art-deco cigarette holder and face rouge.

He also stated: "It takes a team of OTs to win!" He also left out: "We'll dress them in pretty sailor suits - and they can salute each other and call each other, Sir!"
:roflmao:

I had heard about this Rhodesian episode from two other sources - a fairly high up GO person who had to try and help LRH stay in the UK - and someone who had audited one of the brothers. I had to clean the auditor up (coffee shop) as what came up caved him in! :omg:

Apparently Ian Smith the then Prime Minister of Rhodesia was still in talks with the Prime Minister of England Harold Wilson and the subject of LRH came up that started a whole chain of events - which eventually led to LRH forming the SO and also led to him escaping arrest for deportation at the last moment - when we stole out of Southhampton in the middle of the night on the Royal Scotsman's maiden voyage.

Ah! The good old days! - Such intrigue, such adventure and such comedy! :)

Alan

Hubbard fails miserably at taking over a banana republic and then decides lone OTs can't make it? Gimme a break!

He probably has too many overts on the track to play God anymore. I never could get his qualms about "overwhelming" people. Then again in tapes he tells us to show up with a doll body at the white house with ray guns and demand that they "cut the shit out".

Anyhoo, Hubbo gave us the tech. He ain't God or a big OT as far as I'm concerned.

DartSmohen

Hubbard fails miserably at taking over a banana republic and then decides lone OTs can't make it? Gimme a break!

He probably has too many overts on the track to play God anymore. I never could get his qualms about "overwhelming" people. Then again in tapes he tells us to show up with a doll body at the white house with ray guns and demand that they "cut the shit out".

Anyhoo, Hubbo gave us the tech. He ain't God or a big OT as far as I'm concerned.

An interesting comparison; DM running the cult by fear and intimidation. Robert Mugabe running Zimbabwe by fear and intimidation.

Both operations are failing miserably and heading down the toilet.

I wonder if they have been swapping notes.

Is this why there is a move afoot to decamp to the African continent? :unsure: :whistling: :duh: