What's new

Anybody remember the Byrnes Ethics Mission in PAC?

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron
James Byrnes (I think he was WDS something before or after this) (He was married to Enid, who was a reg at AO) came down to PAC in the early 90s for an Ethics Mission.

The whole base was put in a state of emergency. A lot of lowers and a lot of drilling. Fire drills, etc, and a hell of a lot of marching on the parking structure roof. I think we had to muster every day on the roof for a couple weeks - the WHOLE base.

It WAS the first time when I was there that anybody tried to get in the policy of sending people home on time everyday regardless of stats, etc. Of course the day was extended to 11:20 PM for everyone. (It was supposed to be 10:45 before that I think - except Thursday nights which was staff meeting) And we had to muster at 8:30 AM on the roof, when it used to be 8:45 in your org. Meal times were cut to 25 minutes (12:05 to 12:30 and 6:05 to 6:30) (45 minutes before then). And this went back to 30 minutes for lunch and 45 for dinner after the evolution. I remember everyone having to RUSH to the mess hall, get their food, wolf it down and get to 12:30 muster or you were screwed.

Then of course soon the regges were allowed to stay late to get GI up, then execs, then schedules fell way out again.

Did we ever get back to 8:45 musters?? Or did it stay 8:30? It's been a long time

Ahhhhh those were the days ....

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron
OH AND ..

And I think this was when "family time" was cancelled as not being mentioned in any FO. Before this, people who had kids could have an hour and a half I think to spend time with them.

I didnt have any kids, but I could see the problem for those that did.

T

TheSneakster

not important

Last edited by a moderator:

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron
I couldn't remember whether there was an S or not lmao

Actually, I always thought he was joking ......:confused2:

But I was objective about it I think. I was fairly new to the SO. And so hadn't been through previous missions of that type and so didn't have anything to key in to lol

everfree

Patron Meritorious
Actually, I always thought he was joking ......:confused2:

I only dealt with him for a week or so, but I don't think he was joking. He was insufferably rude and arrogant to his own Aide, not to mention the public around him. He was an Int exec at the time.

Wisened One

Crusader
Yes, I heard James Bynes speak one time at our Org. I was actually impressed with at the time. Wow, that was a long time ago.

Wisened One

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
And I think this was when "family time" was cancelled as not being mentioned in any FO. Before this, people who had kids could have an hour and a half I think to spend time with them.

I didnt have any kids, but I could see the problem for those that did.

My mother joined the SO when I was 2 1/2. My brother I think was 4. There have been many, many changes of policy throughout that time in regards to children and parents in the SO.

At first, there was a day every year (yes, every YEAR) called Family Day, when parents would spend a day only with their families. It got cancelled. I dont know why. I was too young to understand.

Then there was family time, which was between 5 and 6 pm daily, right before dinner.

That was when my mom get her nap in.

I asked her once (because I was always there to spend time with her, though she was always sleeping) "What are you thinking about?", she said "post". I asked her "Does that mean you think of me on your post time then?". She never responded to that, and she never really paid much attention to me or my brother, except when we did something out ethics that got her pulled off post, then she would be pissed with us.

That is the development of family and loving relationships within the Sea Org. And, because it is on other threads, I will mention it here: My father walked out of the church when I was a baby and got declared and was not in my life for 25 years.

Scientology and the Sea Org always have loving family relationships. Look at DM and his neice, right?

These people are working hard at making a sane planet, right? Ha. What a joke.

-----

Nope, I dont want to live in a Scientology run world. No siree.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
I remember Jame Byrne. They sent him into the RPF to do a lecture or two on us. This was right before the Time Magazine article. I cant remember what it was about.

----

I remember years later he was the PAC gardener. And then he went uplines or something and came back, did that ethics mission in PAC. Then he went back to being a gardener. Seemed to me he was viewed as somewhat of a loon. I cant remember.

He did seem, to me, like he was in another universe. Paralell to this one, but slightly different....:whistling:

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron
James Byrnes (I think he was WDS something before or after this)

OMG I had a typo I didnt notice .. it was WDC (Watch Dog Committee) something not WDS .. I feel soooooo ... whatever lol

Actually could have been on of the D/ED Int posts at the time as well. He had a "RA" rank. (Right Arm) (had an extra star above his rank on his sleeve, indicating he had the rank/experience to command a ship in the SO)

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
James Byrnes (I think he was WDS something before or after this) (He was married to Enid, who was a reg at AO) came down to PAC in the early 90s for an Ethics Mission.

The whole base was put in a state of emergency. A lot of lowers and a lot of drilling. Fire drills, etc, and a hell of a lot of marching on the parking structure roof. I think we had to muster every day on the roof for a couple weeks - the WHOLE base.

It WAS the first time when I was there that anybody tried to get in the policy of sending people home on time everyday regardless of stats, etc. Of course the day was extended to 11:20 PM for everyone. (It was supposed to be 10:45 before that I think - except Thursday nights which was staff meeting) And we had to muster at 8:30 AM on the roof, when it used to be 8:45 in your org. Meal times were cut to 25 minutes (12:05 to 12:30 and 6:05 to 6:30) (45 minutes before then). And this went back to 30 minutes for lunch and 45 for dinner after the evolution. I remember everyone having to RUSH to the mess hall, get their food, wolf it down and get to 12:30 muster or you were screwed.

Then of course soon the regges were allowed to stay late to get GI up, then execs, then schedules fell way out again.

Did we ever get back to 8:45 musters?? Or did it stay 8:30? It's been a long time

Ahhhhh those were the days ....

I remember. Musters were 8:00 AM, not 8:30 and lasted till a few minutes before 9:00. If you were late then the next day you had to be at a 6:00 AM muster and do 2 hours of mest work before the 8:00 AM muster. We got to go home earlier for awhile, ll:30 or so, but that didn't last. The ASHO schedule had stretched to 2:00 to 3:00 AM for techies. And 15 minute meal breaks.

A little over a year of that and I was in a semi permanent state of zombie and had one foot out the door. I think if I hadn't gone then I'd be on the Why are they Dead site instead of the ESMB site.

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
At first, there was a day every year (yes, every YEAR) called Family Day, when parents would spend a day only with their families. It got cancelled. I dont know why. I was too young to understand.

Bloody outrageous, isn't it? And of all those SO members (responsible adults?) NO-ONE did a bloody thing to handle it.

Wisened One

Crusader
Bloody outrageous, isn't it? And of all those SO members (responsible adults?) NO-ONE did a bloody thing to handle it.

That's because they were made to feel like sh*t about their low production, low tone-levels, etc..etc...Believe it or not, constant talk and flows bombarded at you like that, made you forget EVERYTHING and EVERYONE around you except your POST!

Wisened One

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron
I remember. Musters were 8:00 AM, not 8:30 and lasted till a few minutes before 9:00. If you were late then the next day you had to be at a 6:00 AM muster and do 2 hours of mest work before the 8:00 AM muster. We got to go home earlier for awhile, ll:30 or so, but that didn't last. The ASHO schedule had stretched to 2:00 to 3:00 AM for techies. And 15 minute meal breaks.

A little over a year of that and I was in a semi permanent state of zombie and had one foot out the door. I think if I hadn't gone then I'd be on the Why are they Dead site instead of the ESMB site.

I must have blocked out the 8:00 period. I was never late for them, and never had to do 6:00.

I have to say, ASHO got hit harder than AO.

OOD (orders of the day) that had the schedule only had it till 11:20 or 11:30. And we had execs and MAAs that kicked us out.

2:00 to 3:00 never got put on us.

It was 15 minute breaks only for a short time at AO. I think. It HAS been over 15 years since this so if I misremember, I apologize to those that have better recall of such.

But I do seem to remember AO got hit a lot softer than the ASHOs and CLO. We were a much larger org and so didn't have to scramble so hard I think.

nowout

Patron with Honors
I remember years later he was the PAC gardener. And then he went uplines or something and came back, did that ethics mission in PAC. Then he went back to being a gardener. Seemed to me he was viewed as somewhat of a loon. I cant remember.

He did seem, to me, like he was in another universe. Paralell to this one, but slightly different....:whistling:

When he went uplines he was the second on a mission to put in SO basics and Ethics. This was after a natural catastrophe like heavy rains causing mudslides etc.

All had to re-do basic SO courses, march around like the military, do fire, earthquake, security drills etc. If you were late to muster you saw the MAA, for a second time the threat was offload. Pretty heavy ethics and nastiness. Group conditions, exchange by dynamics. Everyone had a black heart. He then did it in Pac and UK, and probably Flag.

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron
When he went uplines he was the second on a mission to put in SO basics and Ethics. This was after a natural catastrophe like heavy rains causing mudslides etc.

All had to re-do basic SO courses, march around like the military, do fire, earthquake, security drills etc. If you were late to muster you saw the MAA, for a second time the threat was offload. Pretty heavy ethics and nastiness. Group conditions, exchange by dynamics. Everyone had a black heart. He then did it in Pac and UK, and probably Flag.

That that's what happened to us. But I loved marching so .... :D

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron
BTW ... I don't know If I would blame him totally.

That valence he wore was a valence. He was trying to do things the way the LRH did it, or the way that LRH approved when he saw LRH (he was in the Sea Org at the beginning). Even the "Black Hearted" thing.

That's probably one of the reasons why I never got upset by him. I saw him outside of that valence, had comm cycles with him. His wife worked at AO and I worked at AO. So I had a chance to see the human side of him that most didn't.

I remember toward the end of my stay (like a hotel lol). I was on decks. Had been for a while. Big conference is being done with all the outer orgs Div 6 personnel. Confidential. Doors were locked, no one not Div 6 CLO or a part of the conference was let in.

There was a problem with the sound. He sent for me specifically, off the EPF, and told all the execs and messengers (the people reeeaallly pissed with me), that I was the only one he wanted to do it and damned with any current "ethics." (I think he did know that I was talking of routing out.)

I did the job without a hitch (it was cushy for me, basically a day off). He didn't try to salvage me, didn't talk down to me, treated me with respect. He was an Int Management exec, I was the in the lowest position I could be outside of doing the RPF (they could have RPFed me on that cycle). Really the EPF was the wrong place to put me as I already had a permanent fitness board.

So, for those who hated him, give blame where the blame was due. Yes, part was him. Part was not.

nowout

Patron with Honors
He was a good guy, did a tough job and there is no blame or rancor involved. I doubt that the overall situation, why and handling was correct though. It perhaps increased competence of individuals but didn't turn things around.

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron
He was a good guy, did a tough job and there is no blame or rancor involved. I doubt that the overall situation, why and handling was correct though. It perhaps increased competence of individuals but didn't turn things around.

That pretty much was it. Individuals could make out like a bandit. The organization? Not so much ....

Of course, some individuals got highly tromped on. Not so much by him as by those that were trying to look like they were "in-ethics" and "on-purpose."

Bone

Patron
I remember Byrne. I was at ITO on the FEBC course when he came in, and our schedule got thrown to hell there as well. Although I agree that he was putting on a valence there, and I don't think he was ever actually angry. In fact, during those morning musters, he would drill all us "soon-to-be" execs to yell at someone at the top of our lungs, but with no misemotion.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
In the 80s James Byrne was a NOTs auditor at AOLA. Sandy Wilhere was the Senior C/S there at the time. She watched some videos of James' sessions and busted him for "gross out tech".

For James to audit again he would have to train from the bottom up.

Jerry Mulkey was the NOTs Tech Sec while this was going on. Ivan Obolensky was AOLA's CO. Both of them disliked James and were pretty brutal to him when he was busted. I know, for one thing, that Ivan attributed a lot of Enid Byrne's problems (Enid was the chief reg at AOLA) to James. I think at one time he was actually trying to persuade Enid to divorce him.

James got traded to ASHO, where he became their Bridge Control Sec. He mostly went on tour to Class V orgs and missions. I have heard he was very popular with the orgs. Anyone who knew him knew how entertaining he could be. He would tell a lot of "LRH stories", etc.

However ASHO didn't treat him well, either. ASHO was chronically broke. He would get sent on tour with no money, no place to stay, etc. James felt he was not treated at the level that he, as a long time SO member who had worked with LRH and who was highly trained, deserved.

Somewhere along the line James wound up at the Freewinds on a project to "get in basics" with the ship crew. He got the attention of DM, who decided to utilize him to be sent on projects to the SO bases to "get Sea Org ethics in".

The first place he was sent to was PAC. Granted, he had pretty stiff MOs, considering who sent him there and how much Miscavige hated the SO orgs in general and PAC in particular.

However, considering his history, James had his own issues with AOLA and ASHO. The same people who had made his life miserable when he was in PAC were now squarely under his thumb.

Ivan blew in the middle of James' mission. Not too surprising, when you look at the situation.