What's new

Death of Johnny Lewis, actor

Anonycat

Crusader
That was my reaction. To see Johnny as a kid and to know his parents it's almost impossible to believe his life ended like that.

One of the unique qualities of the cult is that its fake solutions to real problems, are often fatal. Parents of any belief cannot shun their responsibility to give their children proper medical care, medication, therapy, and love.

Johnathan's father invested in his son's death. I hope he comes to see that as parents, they can take credit for their son's demise.

All that invested in false dreams, and it turned out to be fatal. They killed their son.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
OMFG.

This is Michael and Divona Lewis's kid?

:ohmy:

Power FSMs, big time field auditors, OT VIIIs.

They don't get any more hard care than these two.

holy fucking shit.

They have lost their son.

And, now, after a life of dedication to scientology they are watching this group they have given all to, uh, erase their son from the records in the "church".

Sweet, eh ?

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Johnny was on good terms with his parents 2 years ago when he joined them in opening More Arts, Inc., his father's company to use appreciation for the arts, to get Scientology into the schools.

21539_1211618374455_7227943_n.jpg

Advisory Board members from left to right: Tamara Meskimen, Harriet Schock, Johnny Lewis, Judy Norton, Jim Meskimen, Jeannie Deva, Cathy Segal-Garcia, cut the ribbon with More Art co-directors Michael Lewis and Alison Robinson. February 2010.

http://www.moreart.us/?id=142

[video=youtube;ETesgFGoQtY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETesgFGoQtY[/video]

http://granadachamber.com/Granada-Hills-Chamber-of-Commerce/Chamber-Board/Alison-Robinson-President/

G

Gottabrain

You misread the site. The page says.. "These activities are a regular part of the weekly program offered to our clients." It doesn't encompass the entirety of the treatment there.

"Each client receives a full and thorough assessment, including psychiatric/psychological evaluation, when necessary. Our program is individualized to meet each client’s needs and is designed to identify, address, and resolve addictive and self destructive patterns of living."

http://www.ridgeviewranchca.org/treatment.html

Actually, Smurf, I read through nearly the entire site. It's emphasis is on NON-psychiatric handling and away from any drugs, entirely. Yoga, meditation and group counseling are the main forms of treatment. There are no sample evaluations, there are no mentions of which psychiatrists are used or recommend it, there is no mention of an on-site psychiatrist. The site deftly steers away from those questions and there is much to be said about what is omitted that should be on that site.

A psychological/psychiatric evaluation is standardly done for every single person who enters a medically approved facility. Why would they say "when necessary" here? What drug addict wouldn't need a psychological/psychiatric evaluation?!? I know it is standardly done because I work in the health care field. NOTHING can be done until the plan is written and approved and each part of it has to be written/approved by a professional in the field. Then the doctor and others have to approved every single step that is done with a person, from meds taken or not taken, group or individual counseling, group or individual meals, diet, etc. It's a very big deal, a time-consuming process that eliminates any possible questionable or dangerous actions outside those that are approved. Being licensed is not the same as being medically approved. Many health insurances approve alternate therapy approaches. For a light drug user, that may not be a problem, but for a serious addict, it certainly is. Note that they don't take Medicare. It is a pricey facility that coddles the drug abusers and perhaps because of this is quite popular.

ADDED: I'll bet you five posts that Johnny never got any sort of psychiatric or psychological evaluation there because someone decided it was "not necessary".

Last edited by a moderator:

Purple Rain

Crusader
Did you mean Introspection RD or is there an Introversion RD I've never heard of?

Just curious. I've certainly not heard of everything, particularly since I didn't go anywhere near the upper bridge like his parents.

Sorry, no I meant Introspection Rundown.

Purple Rain

Crusader
I was friends with Johnny. He even dated my friend. He was a VERY sweet guy.

Well, maybe he was once - but not recently obviously. He was obviously a better friend to you and your pets than he was to Catherine Davis. You should maybe go out and buy a lottery ticket or something.

Anonycat

Crusader
Well, maybe he was once - but not recently obviously. He was obviously a better friend to you and your pets than he was to Catherine Davis. You should maybe go out and buy a lottery ticket or something.

Please remember this young man was steered away from meds, psychological therapy, and whatever else would have been deemed required during that process.

Scientology killed Johnathan, and Cathrine. It's really that simple. Remove the cult from the whole equation and you'd have had a family who gave their son proper care, not "pure tech", which as we see again, can be fatal.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Please remember this young man was steered away from meds, psychological therapy, and whatever else would have been deemed required during that process.

Scientology killed Johnathan, and Cathrine. It's really that simple. Remove the cult from the whole equation and you'd have had a family who gave their son proper care, not "pure tech", which as we see again, can be fatal.

I disagree. Johnny Lewis killed Catherine Davis. Why some people indulge in criminal acts when others do not is a subject of much debate and exploration amongst criminologists. However, there are many factors, not just one or EVERY Scientologist would do it. Yes, being raised as a Scientologist to be wary of psychiatry was ONE factor. Chemically induced psychosis resulting from an unhandled drug addiction was another. But he made his choices like everybody else. So please, spare me the "it wasn't him" rhetoric.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
I'll bet you five posts that Johnny never got any sort of psychiatric or psychological evaluation there because someone decided it was "not necessary".

Since that is confidential information, I guess we'll never know. The court may or may not have ordered it as a condition of his going to rehab.

But, in all seriousness, how often does a 30-day treatment program work? Plus, I didn't read on the website what they do as far as aftercare is concerned.

In Johnny's case, and tends to be the case where someone is court-referred to rehab versus an individual making a sincere effort by voluntarily going to rehab, it's simply a numbers game... play the game for 30 days.. and look forward to Day 31 when they can get high, again.

G

Gottabrain

Since that is confidential information, I guess we'll never know. The court may or may not have ordered it as a condition of his going to rehab.

But, in all seriousness, how often does a 30-day treatment program work? Plus, I didn't read on the website what they do as far as aftercare is concerned.

In Johnny's case, and tends to be the case where someone is court-referred to rehab versus an individual making a sincere effort by voluntarily going to rehab, it's simply a numbers game... play the game for 30 days.. and look forward to Day 31 when they can get high, again.

IF there is a lawsuit or full murder investigation of this by, say, family and friends of the well-loved woman he murdered, couldn't the information of what happened at his last treatment center be made public? Medical records are sealed, normally, but isn't a murder investigation a reason to open the records?

Because I see just one more facility getting insurance funds that should be investigated and possibly held at least partially liable for negligence - particularly if they did not insist on a psychiatric evaluation after his prior history.

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
I disagree. Johnny Lewis killed Catherine Davis. Why some people indulge in criminal acts when others do not is a subject of much debate and exploration amongst criminologists. However, there are many factors, not just one or EVERY Scientologist would do it. Yes, being raised as a Scientologist to be wary of psychiatry was ONE factor. Chemically induced psychosis resulting from an unhandled drug addiction was another. But he made his choices like everybody else. So please, spare me the "it wasn't him" rhetoric.

I think what you are both missing here is that the drug addiction was secondary. Johnny was schizophrenic, he had some very very deep seated mental health issues. Drug abuse was a secondary problem, probably made his mental outlook worse but at the same time he was probably self medicating with illegal drugs.

Drug addicts steal and do any number of fucked up things but Lewis was in the realm of severe violent psychosis - as his actions demonstrate. Very rarely do drugs alone cause this kind of extrmem mayhem, it's severe mental illness (with or without drugs) that commonly lead these violent psychotic breaks with sometimes tragic consequences for others. Sad to say that many times schizophrenics turn to illegal drugs as away to subdue the voices or delusions they are suffering from - which usually only makes it all worse in the end.

I think probably the biggest problem is his parents being Scientologists felt more comfortable blaming everything on drugs, rather than being willing to address the psychiatric conditions at the root of the problem. There's no way they would have been willing to admit Johnny needed the help of a "psych" but since Scientology has narconon and drug abuse is pretty common among the acting types in LA they wanted to chalk everything up to illegal drug use - not Johnny having a broken brain that needed professional psychiatric intervention.

Tell me how you think any typical, gung ho Scientologists would react to a child who was displaying, long term, severe, psychotic / schizophrenic symptoms and using an array of illegal drugs on and off? Would they even be even willing to entertain their child had a psychiatric illness or was Type III?

Last edited:
G

Gottabrain

Tell me how you think any typical, gung ho Scientologist react to a child who was displaying, long term, severe, psychotic / schizophrenic symptoms and using an array of illegal drugs on and off?

:goodposting:

I know of one example - Serge Obolensky, born into the Sea Org. At 10 years old he used to set fires to "get rid of the evil". Finally, he lost his hand and an eye in one of his attempts.

His Sea Org parents decided he was an SP and booted him out, I believe he was only 12 years old at the time. He was forced to live on the streets.

As of a couple of years ago, he was still living on the streets - we saw a small article where he was picked up for vagrancy near either Glendale or Burbank, CA.

Anonycat

Crusader

Too late to spare you of it, so I'll just add this: I may have not posted that if I didn't have direct experience in exactly this kind of thing. Certain people need their stabilizing medication, or they will kill someone and/or themselves. Parents of children do not wish for their child to live with a disability or illness, yet it happens. It is hard work keeping that person alive. Every time they stop their medication, they quickly return to their destructive state. I hope you'll be kinder if I return here one day, one family member less.

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm still surprised by some of the assumptions here. Sure scn would make him leery of 'psych' and other drugs, but not so much that he didn't try street drugs. Odds are he met somebody who had nothing to do with scn who turned him onto to something. How else does one get into drugs? It's usually peer pressure every time. I fell into a pretty serious situation myself in my twenties and was lucky to get out of that alive. You simply underestimate what drugs can turn you into. You could turn Nancy Reagan into a junkie. Also evidently there are some serious drugs out there, and people here and there are doing stranger and more violent things then I've ever heard of before.

So understandably people are appalled by what he did and some are referring to him as a monster, and he was for a short period of time, the question is what caused this DRASTIC transformation and it may or may not be the reason some people would like it to be. That's the same mistake scientologists make. Something happens and immediately they think the know the cause without ever bothering to look. But the one thing that this case proves about Scientology, it doesn't work.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Too late to spare you of it, so I'll just add this: I may have not posted that if I didn't have direct experience in exactly this kind of thing. Certain people need their stabilizing medication, or they will kill someone and/or themselves. Parents of children do not wish for their child to live with a disability or illness, yet it happens. It is hard work keeping that person alive. Every time they stop their medication, they quickly return to their destructive state. I hope you'll be kinder if I return here one day, one family member less.

I am sorry you perceived my post as unkind. :shrug:

However, since I lived with a psychotic person for two years I know exactly what I am talking about. Was Scientology to blame for him sexually abusing my family? Or his violent behaviour?

No.

It sucked that they encouraged him to be off his medication, but HE did it. Him. Nobody else.

Purple Rain

Crusader
I think what you are both missing here is that the drug addiction was secondary. Johnny was schizophrenic, he had some very very deep seated mental health issues. Drug abuse was a secondary problem, probably made his mental outlook worse but at the same time he was probably self medicating with illegal drugs.

Drug addicts steal and do any number of fucked up things but Lewis was in the realm of severe violent psychosis - as his actions demonstrate. Very rarely do drugs alone cause this kind of extrmem mayhem, it's severe mental illness (with or without drugs) that commonly lead these violent psychotic breaks with sometimes tragic consequences for others. Sad to say that many times schizophrenics turn to illegal drugs as away to subdue the voices or delusions they are suffering from - which usually only makes it all worse in the end.

I think probably the biggest problem is his parents being Scientologists felt more comfortable blaming everything on drugs, rather than being willing to address the psychiatric conditions at the root of the problem. There's no way they would have been willing to admit Johnny needed the help of a "psych" but since Scientology has narconon and drug abuse is pretty common among the acting types in LA they wanted to chalk everything up to illegal drug use - not Johnny having a broken brain that needed professional psychiatric intervention.

Tell me how you think any typical, gung ho Scientologists would react to a child who was displaying, long term, severe, psychotic / schizophrenic symptoms and using an array of illegal drugs on and off? Would they even be even willing to entertain their child had a psychiatric illness or was Type III?

I am certainly not overlooking mental illness. I don't know how you got that idea from what I wrote in my posts. It was his lawyer who claimed that he had "chemically induced psychosis" as quoted in one of the preceding articles, so I was working on the basis that his lawyer would know. My psychotic ex also suffered from chemically induced psychosis i.e. heavy drug use followed by breakdown followed by diagnoses of manic depression and acute paranoid schizophrenia.

G

Gottabrain

However, since I lived with a psychotic person for two years I know exactly what I am talking about. Was Scientology to blame for him sexually abusing my family? Or his violent behaviour?

WhAAAT?!?! :omg:

Ohmigod, purp, I didn't know. :no: I am SO sorry to hear this. :bigcry:

Hugs and love to you, g/f. :heartflower:

The cruel irony to all these Scientology situations is that while the Church promotes confronting the Black Panther in front of one, the truth is that the human mind is something which they cannot confront themselves.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Purple Rain

Crusader
WhAAAT?!?! :omg:

Ohmigod, purp, I didn't know. :no: I am SO sorry to hear this. :bigcry:

Hugs and love to you, g/f. :heartflower:

Yeah, it's hard on so many levels - mostly watching people I care about still suffering and the impact it's had on their lives. And being a Scientologist, you know, they didn't get counselling. I would have thrown myself in front of a truck to prevent it. So many regrets, so much guilt, so many ripples from that one pebble still today. But you know, they deemed him sane enough to stand trial despite the mental illness. He DID know right from wrong. Anyhow, hug. Love you.