What's new

Repayment Criminality

Anakin Skywalker

Patron with Honors
I'm from South Africa. Would it make a difference to them, coming from South Africa?

Do you have any IRS e-mail address I should send it to?

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Wow! Not sure what you can do with this in South Africa but at least the IRS should know since CoS is supposed to follow the CVB line on this issue. Suing them cilily is another way to go about it. Do contact attorney Graham Berry by PM here on ESMB. He could tell you what your options are better than me.

BTW, Is this about a refund request ( money used for auditing or other things) or a repayment request ( unused donos sitting on your account. ) ? The letter is not clear on that.

Anakin Skywalker

Patron with Honors
Thanks for the info.

It's a repayment. I paid for the full training line-up that can be done in a Class V org, thinking this would secure my "eternity", lol. What a fucking joke.

Is there any such thing as "religious policy"? I know they abuse terms like "scripture",
but I didn't think there was such a thing as 'religious' policy.

freethinker

Sponsor
If you started a routing form for the CVB and your signature is on it you gave up your right to the Refund Repayment policy. The CVB R/F is used by the CO$ specifically to get out of having to pay you back because now you are under the terms of the CVB R/F and that has more caveats than a Sturgeon has eggs.

I hate to say it but you sold the farm if you started that R/F. It gets them out of the policies that DO force them to repay you such as Refund Policy and Refund Repayment.

I don't care what they tell you about having to do the CVB R/F, it's complete BS. They wanted me to do one and I refused and got my money back.

Anonycat

Crusader
Is there any such thing as "religious policy"? I know they abuse terms like "scripture",
but I didn't think there was such a thing as 'religious' policy.

Over the years, the names of actions have been continually been perverted to the point that we saw in the letter.

And it irks me!

Donations = classes paid for in advance. The regular Joe on the street may see CHURCH all over it. This is a blatant attempt at fraud and deception in the use of common religious terms that don't apply at all to the business of scientology.

That letter was a great example of how to transform the truth into trash.

Here's a more honest version:

Dear Mr. Barrington,

I have just received your letter of request to have your class pre-payments returned to you, as you have elected to discontinue the line of classes you had selected and paid for.

You didn't mention that you had copies of our refund policies in hand, so I have attached them for your records.

At this time, I can either send you a check to your home address or simply reverse the charge to your bank card that you made the payment with. Call anytime this week to let me know which you'd like. As you will see in our refund policy, we do not pay interest on pre-payment refunds, but your entire account will be returned to you as requested.

We are sorry to lose you as a client, and if I can provide any service myself, that you had found less than satisfactory, please just ask.

Warm regards,
In your dreams

Anakin Skywalker

Patron with Honors
@ Freethinker, no, the cult members in fake military uniform apparently filled it in for me.

Their policies and rules mean nothing to me, I go by the laws of this country, and those laws state that these criminals owe me my money back.

Terril park

Sponsor
@ Freethinker, no, the cult members in fake military uniform apparently filled it in for me.

Their policies and rules mean nothing to me, I go by the laws of this country, and those laws state that these criminals owe me my money back.

I posted this to another forum. Several people said they were successful in getting refunds back by using a lawyer. I'd do that and they can decide if they can get the government to take action also.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Thanks for the info.

It's a repayment. I paid for the full training line-up that can be done in a Class V org, thinking this would secure my "eternity", lol. What a fucking joke.

Thanks. I posted a reply on your SP decare thread, with a document that could help you in getting your repayment via court.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Unbelievable!

A new high (or should it be low?) in the annals of Scientology stupidity (Scipidity?).

Yes, I know that they are incredibly stupid, but to actually put this in writing and send it to you, is dumb beyond all comprehension. The sad thing is, this whole process probably makes total ‘sense’ to this Mike Ellis F$%kwit. :duh:

Firstly, their policy says that they can’t give a refund unless you fill in the CVB form.

So, you fill in the form and then the IJC says that it hasn’t been completed properly and that you have to do it in person at an org. But then, in the next breath, they say that because you have left the CoS, you are not allowed to actually enter an org and so cannot complete the form!

I expect the IJC has a form letter template called ‘Catch-22 Letter – LOL.doc’ which he uses for cases such as this.

You might want to send this to the Tampa Bay Times, they did a story on a couple trying to take the cult to court: http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...couples-dispute-over-scientology-debt/1219054

The judge ruled that they had to use the cult’s own internal arbitration process. But here we have evidence that the cult doesn’t allow anyone to actual use their own arbitration process.

Criminal – plain and simple.

My advice would be to make a lot of noise down there in SA. Send copies to the media, your MP, any trade bodies / trading standards etc. Especially any politicians / religious leaders / councillors who have shown support for the cult. Then get legal advice and have someone send them a very strongly-worded letter promising legal action.

You have to make it clear to these wankers that it is going to be less painful to pay up.

Axiom142

yeah, all this shit suxxx

it really wasn't like that when i was in. back on staff at fcdc a handful of pc's asked for their money back and the hoops they had to jump through were sensible and did inflict duress. i know of no one ever asking for a refund from training. if you put $$$ in a "thetaccount(TM)" you could withdaw all or part at any time no questins asked

organized scientology can acually be done in good faith

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
I posted this to another forum. Several people said they were successful in getting refunds back by using a lawyer. I'd do that and they can decide if they can get the government to take action also.

The problem is finding a lawyer. Those I have contacted don't want to take it on. And that includes Barry Van Sickle. My situation is not "sexy" enough apparently. No one died, no false imprisonment, I'm not a former high ranking Poobah, etc. 57k USD is not enough money involved? It was plenty for me.

It's OK. I'm over it. I'm just taking it out of their ass in 10x or 20x that amount in bad PR for the cult. Straight up and vertical, baby!

Anonycat

Crusader
The problem is finding a lawyer. Those I have contacted don't want to take it on. And that includes Barry Van Sickle. My situation is not "sexy" enough apparently. No one died, no false imprisonment, I'm not a former high ranking Poobah, etc. 57k USD is not enough money involved? It was plenty for me.

It's OK. I'm over it. I'm just taking it out of their ass in 10x or 20x that amount in bad PR for the cult. Straight up and vertical, baby!

Have you sent Graham Berry a PM?