What's new

Jack Reacher - New Tom Cruise Movie

Xenu's Boyfriend

Silver Meritorious Patron
I saw a trailer for the new Tom Cruise movie, premiering later this month.

I just have to say,

1.) It looks stupid, like a Mission Impossible knock-off. He's getting too old for this crap. Even the theme in the trailer sounds like the Mission Impossible theme played on a Cassio keyboard.

2.) I really feel like I just can't give Tom Cruise another dime of my money. I can barely even look at his face anymore without seeing black turtlenecks and hearing that maniacal laugh from the leaked Scientology video.

3.) Is it just me, or does Tom seem like he's channeling David Miscavige in this movie? Colder, harsher, remote. I feel like COB has swallowed up Tom's soul and Tom is just a shell of his former self here - a creepy, little runt, battling the world without being able to laugh at himself.

4.) I may be in London for the premiere. Perhaps I should wear a "Tom, Leave The Church, Protect Suri" tee-shirt. You can get closer to stars on the red carpet there.

5.) Maybe none of this matters worth a fried rat turd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK7y8Ou0VvM

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus

I just have to say,

1.) It looks stupid, like a Mission Impossible knock-off. He's getting too old for this crap. Even the theme in the trailer sounds like the Mission Impossible theme played on a Cassio keyboard.

2.) I really feel like I just can't give Tom Cruise another dime of my money. I can barely even look at his face anymore without seeing black turtlenecks and hearing that maniacal laugh from the leaked Scientology video.

3.) Is it just me, or does Tom seem like he's channeling David Miscavige in this movie? Colder, harsher, remote. I feel like COB has swallowed up Tom's soul and Tom is just a shell of his former self here - a creepy, little runt, battling the world without being able to laugh at himself.

4.) I may be in London for the premiere. Perhaps I should wear a "Tom, Leave The Church, Protect Suri" tee-shirt. You can get closer to stars on the red carpet there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK7y8Ou0VvM

Well, we know Tom had to really act like he was interested for that scene. :roflmao:

There have beem plenty of stoneface actors before, it's not necessarily a liability in an acting career but Tom is a stoneface
and creepy. Bad combo.

Lavalyte

Patron with Honors

I just have to say,

also he's hardly running at all! It's not a TC movie if he doesn't sprint around a lot.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
If Tom Cruise is the 'star' of this movie, I think it is inevitable that it will become known as "Jack Reach-around".

Add that to the list of Predictions for 2013...

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Now with even more Tasty Nut Clusters and Zero Calories! Buy Now!

"Sitting across from Tom at a wide table – like an employee set down for a tongue-lashing from the boss – Nazanin could hardly believe what she was hearing.

Tom looked at her like a frustrated, overworked executive, let down by a degraded-being underling.

Then he gave her the intense, laser-focus stare.

“You don’t get it. It goes like this,” Tom explained.

He raised his hand above his head, palm downward. “First, there is LRH.”

Moving his hand down a couple of inches, he continued: “Then there is COB (David Miscavige).”

He brought his hand down to his own hairline, highlighting the intensity and seriousness of his words: “Then there is me.”

"Nazanin looked at him stoically, hiding her shock at Cruise’s performance of his best Jack Torrance – the psychotic killer played by Jack Nicholson in the film The Shining.

“Dave and me, we’re big beings. We are surrounded by DB’s (degraded beings). DBs can’t help but try to destroy big beings. That’s just the way it is in this universe. You have to understand this. This is LRH, man. It’s the plight of the big being getting jumped on by all the degraded beings. You gotta be unreasonable to survive around a big being like me. You can’t be weak. You gotta be strong to protect the big being from all the degraded beings.” Cruise slammed his fist on the table, veins popping out of his neck from the intensity of his tirade…"

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/then-there-is-me-tom-cruise/

Xenu's Boyfriend

Now with even more Tasty Nut Clusters and Zero Calories! Buy Now!

"Sitting across from Tom at a wide table – like an employee set down for a tongue-lashing from the boss – Nazanin could hardly believe what she was hearing.

Tom looked at her like a frustrated, overworked executive, let down by a degraded-being underling.

Then he gave her the intense, laser-focus stare.

“You don’t get it. It goes like this,” Tom explained.

He raised his hand above his head, palm downward. “First, there is LRH.”

Moving his hand down a couple of inches, he continued: “Then there is COB (David Miscavige).”

He brought his hand down to his own hairline, highlighting the intensity and seriousness of his words: “Then there is me.”

"Nazanin looked at him stoically, hiding her shock at Cruise’s performance of his best Jack Torrance – the psychotic killer played by Jack Nicholson in the film The Shining.

“Dave and me, we’re big beings. We are surrounded by DB’s (degraded beings). DBs can’t help but try to destroy big beings. That’s just the way it is in this universe. You have to understand this. This is LRH, man. It’s the plight of the big being getting jumped on by all the degraded beings. You gotta be unreasonable to survive around a big being like me. You can’t be weak. You gotta be strong to protect the big being from all the degraded beings.” Cruise slammed his fist on the table, veins popping out of his neck from the intensity of his tirade…"

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/then-there-is-me-tom-cruise/

WOW, thanks for posting this Smilla. I had no idea Rathbun was talking like this. I thought this book was more about independent Scientology. At first, I thought the excerpt you posted here was a joke - but now it makes perfect sense. It's funny - part of me really doesn't want to believe the part of Tom Cruise assaulting his staff. But 1) I believe the story in Vanity Fair about the way he treated Nazanin (I'm so glad that story leaked) and if that story is possible, anything is 2) Tom sues everyone who looks at him crosseyed, so if this wasn't true, I'm sure he would have shut Marty down- either that or he doesn't want to bring attention to the book because he feels it is obscure and suing would only give it more prominence. Interesting to read his perception of the hierarchy.

Have you read it, has anyone? Does it seem credible. Marty is a lot of things, but I don't feel that he is a liar. What do you all think?

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
I believe that Marty would lie, cheat, trick and intimidate anybody if he thought it would gain him more power... no question about it. It's what he does.

But was he lying on this occasion? Time will tell.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
WOW, thanks for posting this Smilla. I had no idea Rathbun was talking like this. I thought this book was more about independent Scientology. At first, I thought the excerpt you posted here was a joke - but now it makes perfect sense. It's funny - part of me really doesn't want to believe the part of Tom Cruise assaulting his staff. But 1) I believe the story in Vanity Fair about the way he treated Nazanin (I'm so glad that story leaked) and if that story is possible, anything is 2) Tom sues everyone who looks at him crosseyed, so if this wasn't true, I'm sure he would have shut Marty down- either that or he doesn't want to bring attention to the book because he feels it is obscure and suing would only give it more prominence. Interesting to read his perception of the hierarchy.

Have you read it, has anyone? Does it seem credible. Marty is a lot of things, but I don't feel that he is a liar. What do you all think?

Lying is fine with Marty, if it furthers Hubbard's ends.

PTS

Elliott
I won't bother with this one even when it hits the movie channels. I am so done with the big being.

Save your popcorn cash for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey which is far less likely to disappoint.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
Well, I have read every Jack Reacher novel written - love 'em !

I will not spend 1 cent to see TC in anything.

Gads, there were many mnay better choices to play Jack Reacher that TC.

Me no can see.

Xenu's Boyfriend

Has anyone seen the movie Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene...

I didn't want to start a new thread about it (until I see it) but I guess it is about a woman who leaves a cult....just curious...it got good reviews.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
I think Tom Cruise is a good actor. I love the Jack Reacher novels. What I don't love is the idea of seeing Tom Cruise depict Jack Reacher. Anyone whose read the books will know what I mean. Totally miscast.