What's new

Not an ex-Scientologist Message Board

Xenu's Boyfriend

Silver Meritorious Patron
Loved this post. Very creative.

We should all give one another a bit of slack, since we're mostly all full of crap and still learning.

Except those who have all the answers already. Then a nudge of varying degree (up to and including a nuclear blast) might be required to cause the thought process of re-examintation to kick in once again.

One of the good things about seeing how full of shit someone else is is that it gives me a chance to see how full of shit I am too. We've got to notice before we can effect change.

And sometimes, being full of shit is just plain fun.

Te adoro, Bardo, love the last line. :flowers:

Ooooh, I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, but here it goes: :nailbiting:

Someone just posted in one of the threads here:

"I think there's a variety of exes and critics who have different takes on things. We mention our stances, whether those be that the person's now an indie, or that they think it's all crap or that maybe they liked some of it- in interests of candor with our contributors.

That, and freedom of speech and choice is really all there is to that."

My feeling is: not quite. I still wonder what it means to be an ex-Scientologist as defined by this site, and I have yet to get a real answer. When you think about it, maybe there needs to be a new site created for the kind of dialogue this person is talking about in the quote, where these groups (Critics, Scientologists, Ex-Scientologists, Independents) can all come together and argue it out.

I've learned a lot from the posts I've read here, and this site is an incredible resource. And don't get me wrong, I love a good argument. But the way I've been challenged since arriving, I've come to the conclusion, on a certain level, this isn't an ex-Scientology message board at all. It might have started out that way, but it was and continues to be hijacked and derailed by certain people. The pro-Scientology faction makes themselves very felt and they dominate many threads. And I'm not talking about bullshit posts about Tom Cruise - who I couldn't give a fly's anus about. I'm talking about the crucial aspects of breaking down the harm, the grief, the PTSD of Scientology. My feeling is if you really see "two sides" to that, you don't belong here.

(Someone is probably thinking, who the hell does this guy think he is saying this, how long has he been here? But if you're thinking that, you're exactly the person whom I'm talking to.)

What this is, in my humble opinion, is a site on the Subject of Scientology with an emphasis on people who have left the church. Again, that may cheeky for me to say as a newcomer, but maybe it takes a newcomer to say it. Because a true ex-Scientology site would never tolerate consistent pro-Scientology posts, or responses to people who are critical of the church: "Get some freaking facts." "Some of us got major wins..." or "Yes, Lisa McPherson died but medical malpractice happens all the time." I'm not making this up, these are responses/attitudes (paraphrased) I've seen here since I arrived, and I've been like, WTF? Exactly where am I?

I've contributed to the merry go round conversations that go on and on and on where we all find ourselves caught in the matrix, unable to escape. But what I find fascinating is that if you take Scientology out of the equation and you make this instead a forum for survivors of sexual assault and rape (and I don't use this example lightly because for those ex-Scientologists who were in the Sea Org, or RPF'd, the trauma and PTSD may be just as profound), it would be unfathomable as survivors on one part of the site were talking about their personal rape experience, others were saying, "Well, sometimes if you do go out late at night and you're by yourself...", "rape statistics are down lately...." "There are some experiences where people come onto you and still say no..then what do you do?" "See both sides..." etc, etc, etc...

Thank God for posters like Smilla and I Told You I Was Trouble and many others who are kind to everyone but clear and focused about their intention and what is at stake in this battle against the church and there is a battle going on. And people don't need their efforts enervated by exhausting, random, get-you-feet-caught-up-in-the-jump-rope-trip-and-break-your-neck-I'm-not-a-Scientologist-anymore-as-I-defend-the-tech-to-the-death posts.

I'm not trying to personally attack anyone. I just think it's shitty that there is so much oil in the water, as people try to get themselves clean from Scientology's mind control and it's my observation that some people deliberately continue Scientology's process of mystification here, for whatever reason. I experienced it and almost left and I'm not the only one. It reminds me of those pictures of the BP oil spill and the seagulls and wildlife that were covered in grime. This is a very hard place at times to "get clean" when people keep reminding you how "wonderful the tech is" and keep asking you to "see both sides." For the person who haunts the site but doesn't share, who is on the fence about leaving the church and reads the apologies for LRH and his tech, sometimes this presence feels especially sinister.

So yes, free will, yes, freedom of speech, always, but isn't there a question of where that speech takes place and why?

XB

as i said on another thread recently i love ths board because freedom of speech is just what it should be

M&M, for instance can't handle that and don't encourage free speech so i just don't hang out there and only stick my nose in when someone posts a link here

if you can't find a site with the standards to suit your comfort level starting our own should be within your fiscal grasp

CoS has legal rights i dfend with my life and ultimately the only people who can actually have a chance to change things inside CoS are those who know the great virtues of the ideas

and that babe is exactly what i'm GUNNING for...

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Fine! Now I finally got a straight-forward, clear answer. Although I might disagree with that certain answer, that' a big step forward for both of us. ;)

Seriously, there have been so many questions flung at me that I honestly get confused. Then I fuck up and deflect the rong thang. :coolwink:

So what took you so long? Why not give a straight answer to a straight question right away? That could have saved a fellow human being (me) some minor annoyance and it might have saved you something too, whatever that might be. :coolwink:

I sometimes misread things. And when it's in the midst of and/or following some insane auto da fe or inquisition, that makes it seem to blur together in my mind.

I recently realized that not everyone who claims to want me to answer a question, actually does. That goes into the equation, as well.

So I'm glad that I finally got what you were saying and that you got the answer you requested. I'm glad that you actually happened to want the answer.

There is no good reason to harshly judge someone's misunderstandings, 'specially when they've explained that this is what was going on. None.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Seriously, there have been so many questions flung at me that I honestly get confused. Then I fuck up and deflect the rong thang. :coolwink:

Oh come on, before you hit the "Reply" button, you have my post right in front of your eyes. Then, when you actually write your reply, there's my question, still in the quote, still right in front of you. Then, when you hit the "Preview" button to check whether you reply is halfways on the spot (if you do that), you see it all again, in all it's glory - my question as well as your (non)-answer. And you're still getting confused about if there even was a question or not?

Seriously, I don't think you're doing yourself a favor with this kind of argumentation. :wink2:

I sometimes misread things. And when it's in the midst of and/or following some insane auto da fe or inquisition, that makes it seem to blur together in my mind.

Yeah, well, shit happens. That's what the "Preview" and "Edit" buttons are for.
:coolwink:

I recently realized that not everyone who claims to want me to answer a question, actually does. That goes into the equation, as well.

So I'm glad that I finally got what you were saying and that you got the answer you requested. I'm glad that you actually happened to want the answer.

Well, rethorical questions exist for a number of valid reasons: They want to make the recipient think, point out the obvious or whatever. Apart from that: I usually ask questions because I want answers. :wink2:

There is no good reason to harshly judge someone's misunderstandings, 'specially when they've explained that this is what was going on. None.

Then it's a good thing that no one ever has seen me "harshly judge" anyone or anything here, eh? :coolwink:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Insane auto da fe or inquisition = Lol.

:giggle: Well, OK, I admit it: Since "auto da fe" is not in my vocabulary and I've yet to see something that might resemble anything close to an inquisition around here, I didn't decode that part of the message. I didn't even try.:omg:

Did I miss something?

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Fine! Now I finally got a straight-forward, clear answer. Although I might disagree with that certain answer, that' a big step forward for both of us. ;)

So what took you so long?

You did very well Mr N to even get an answer. :yes:

I'm still waiting for answers from weeks ago. :waiting:

It's making me "answer hungry". :omg:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
You did very well Mr N to even get an answer. :yes:

I'm still waiting for answers from weeks ago. :waiting:

It's making me "answer hungry". :omg:

Translation of one of my favorite German "wisdoms": Geduld bringt Rosen. Patience brings roses.

Oh, and although I may not have reacted too euphoric about Claire's answer: I'm actually quite happy about it. One day I will be able to have a real conversation with her (no sarcastic bites intended).

TG1

Angelic Poster

Claire, you really are a troll. I won't be defending you here anymore.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
I was answering Mr. Nobody's query, things he'd asked about. Maybe my responses don't hit the mark, but that doesn't make them trolling. They are not. I did say the other week that I do know that I have posted provocative stuff and that I shouldn't have done. That was my apology and I meant it. Because doing that was dumb. In this thread, however, I was trying to be candid. How that equates to trolling, I don't know.

One of the things I explained yesterday was that I felt there was a lot of "comm" directed my way. This may sound stupid, but after a while, that tends to confuse me and I've indicated as much.

That's really all there is to it.

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Doubleplusgood Duckspeak.

modern-rubber-ducky2P.jpg

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
That's all I'd wanted to do, actually.

Railway station scenario, communication "my" style:

Guy walks up to me: "When does the next train to Hamburg come in?"

My reply: "The slow and cheap one, ya know, the one that stops at almost every station on the way, should be here in 5 - 10 minutes. The fast one with the 1st class waggons, which does just one more stop in Hannover, should be here in about 30 minutes. It'll come in on track nr. 6, which is over there."

Guy: "Thanks."

Guy walks off.

End of scenario

Same scenario, communication "Claire" style:

Guy walks up to Claire: "When does the next train to Hamburg come in?"

Claire: "You know, trains come and go all the time."

Guy: "Yeah, but when does the next train to Hamburg come in?"

Claire: "You certainly know that there are passenger trains, freight trains, and mixed trains. I've explained that many times here."

Guy: "Yeah, but when does the next train to Hamburg come in?"

Claire: "I'm just defending my position regarding trains. I have the right to do that, no?"

Guy (slightly annoyed): "Listen, all I wanna know is: WHEN does that fucking train to Hamburg come in?"

Claire: "I'm just holding my position here. Some trains are longer, some trains are shorter, can't you respect that?"

Guy: "THE TRAIN! WHEN"?

Claire: "When I'm attacked like this, I need to defend myself and that's all I'm doing."

Guy: "I'm giving up, fuck you very much."

Guy walks off, angrily mumbling something about answering simple questions.

End of scenario

Now, Claire, (Danger, there are questions ahead!) Can you tell me which conversation is more effective and which one is more pleasant?

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
I just had a thought as to why TG1 said what she did. I am very sorry. Answering some of this kind of stuff does cause a trolling effect, although I never wanted that. Wasn't intentional but it happened anyway.

Truly sorry I wasted everyone's time responding to posts about this side stuff/personality stuff. Anyone who thought I shouldn't have was quite right.