What's new

Marty admits Scientology Fair Game, breach of confidence, use of PC folder info, more

OperatingSP

Patron with Honors
Although I emphasize certain passages below for the TL;DR read crowd, the following is certainly worth reading in its entirety.

From Marty's blog: http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/fear-no-evil/
Fear No Evil

Posted on December 13, 2012 by martyrathbun09 | 37 Comments

One of the primary dangers of Scientology is the potential for, and its proclivity toward, the abuse of the confidences its members entrust the organization with. It is a most insidious operation.

Scientology counselors are drilled for months – and sometimes years – on communication skills that are designed to make a seeker completely comfortable with sharing her innermost feelings and every detail about all of her frailties and shortcomings. Scientology counselors are trained to overcome their own possible misgivings about invading the privacy of another in order to ensure they probe every dark corner of another’s mind. The seeker is carefully indoctrinated that in order to achieve any gain in Scientology it is first and foremost necessary that she willingly discloses every secret, dark or light, she may possess. Scientology counselors are trained to naturally and thoroughly note for posterity every detail of the confessions that their counselees so disclose.

Scientologists are indoctrinated to fully believe that the ends of the Scientology organization justify whatever betrayal of an individual’s rights might be considered necessary for the organization’s survival.

Knowledge derived from the confessions of a seeker are continually utilized to keep that person serving and contributing at ever increasing levels of commitment. Sometimes it is done through encouragement, and sometimes it is done through inducing fear of the future. In either event, when the seeker is left bereft of money and energy to continue fulfilling the constantly imposed increasing commitment, knowledge of the seeker’s confessions are used in a darker fashion. That knowledge is used to convince the disaffected seeker that her own confessed weaknesses are the cause of her dissatisfaction and that failure to continue to comply to the organization’s agenda will result in the person succumbing thoroughly to those weaknesses.

Ultimately, in order to break this vicious circle the disaffected seeker must pronounce she is no longer willing to comply with the dictates and policies of the organization.
But, with Scientology that is not the end of it.

Well-established Scientology policy assumes that one cannot partially disagree or reject part of Scientology, “If a group member rejects the group, he rejects everything about the group and no further question about that.” Until and unless the disaffected individual ‘comes to her senses’ and capitulates to the authority of the group – accepting every policy and everything about the group – she is treated as an enemy of the group.
An enemy is considered fair game for group members to weaken and destroy by any means necessary. Group members are indoctrinated to believe it is a solemn duty to cooperate with such efforts to nullify designated enemies. Group members are required to cut all communication with the disaffected individual, even if the targeted person is a family member, long-time friend or business associate.

If a disaffected individual continues to vocalize or write about disagreements with such treatment or anything else about Scientology, the group will publish mean-spirited propaganda about that individual. That propaganda inevitably contains the fruits of the confessions of the targeted individual. Seldom is it done with chapter-and-verse, literal detail which could make the organization legally accountable for violation of trust. Instead, it is done through a sophisticated, even sociopathic, and complex propaganda methodology. It requires the development of a dark, complicated and evil mindset to create this variety of propaganda.

It is no coincidence that the Scientology organization has become less powerful, influential and popular with the advent of the age of information. With the expansion of sharing of information of a personal nature during the proliferation of social media use – and the glut of ‘reality-based’ entertainment focusing on the eccentricities of common and famous folk – people seem to be less apt to judge and condemn others for their personal shortcomings. People seem to have become more disgusted with the types of people who vindictively smear others than with targets of the condemnation attempts. Without an avid, judgmental audience Scientology’s stockpiled secrets have lost their value. To the degree its stock in trade has become unmarketable, the group has dwindled in numbers and its ability to silence disagreement and criticism has waned.

This is yet another reason to fear no evil.
Several things of note.

Marty refers to "Scientology," and not to "the Church of Scientology," much less the "corporate Church of Scientology."

In the first paragraph Marty refers to "[o]ne of the primary dangers of Scientology" generally and generically, and not "[o]ne of the primary dangers of" "the Church of Scientology," much less the "corporate Church of Scientology."

Marty does not refer to, much less blame, everything (or indeed anything) on DM.

While Marty does not (yet) discuss the source of these evils, he does not say that they first occurred after the rise of DM.

OperatingSP

Patron with Honors
Re: Marty admits Scientology Fair Game, breach of confidence, use of PC folder info,

I'm not the only person to pick up on Marty's failure to differentiate between "Scientology," on the one hand, and "the Church of Scientology" or the "corporate Church of Scientology," on the other hand. Members of Marty's flock have also, and they are not pleased:

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/fear-no-evil/#comment-243670
marildi | December 13, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Reply

Marty, this is the first time I know of that you did not make it clear in your post that you are referring to the CoS or, as you put it, Scientology Inc; or, at worst, that you are referring to the management policies of Scientology. Just specifying “Scientology” could be interpreted to mean that you’re talking about the tech and philosophy of Scientology itself, when I know that is far from what you mean!
http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/fear-no-evil/#comment-243675
Alex castillo DSEC LRH Evaluator tech) | December 13, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Reply

Marty,

I sure as hell hope that people reading you latest post will not be put off from what the Real Scientology is. Shouldn’t it be clarified that you and many others around the world have splintered off David Miscavige’s Scam called the Church of Scientology as it has been known for the last 20 years? Should it not be clarified that David Miscavige actually STOLE the name of Scientology to create the Scam he has been running for years?

Should it not be clarified to the general public that Scientology before the crook David Miscavige took it over was an effective Councelling Therapy that was effectively helping thousands of people all around the world?

Should it not be clarified that there is a worldwide group of therapists using the original Scientology methods to help people improve their lives?

Should people not know that before 1980, before David Miscavige took control of the Church of Scientology tens of thousands of people around the world were experiencing the benefits of the genuine Scientology counselling methods?

Everything you have said about the current “Church” of scientology is correct, I just hope people will understand that the re is a difference between Scientology today and scientology as it was 32 years ago, when the church was taken over by David miscavige and his followers at the time.

Alex
Others in the comment section are rushing to refer to the "corporate" Church of Scientology, blame DM, etc. There are reasons for this. One of the reasons is that, for once, Marty did not do so.

Veda

Sponsor
Re: Marty admits Scientology Fair Game, breach of confidence, use of PC folder info,

I'm not the only person to pick up on Marty's failure to differentiate between "Scientology," on the one hand, and "the Church of Scientology" or the "corporate Church of Scientology," on the other hand.

-snip-

That's an interesting development. See if it's sustained.

Smilla

Ordinary Human

I see it as Marty thinking outside the box he's created for him and his flock, and if that's what it is, I applaud it.

Free Being Me

Crusader

I see it as Marty thinking outside the box he's created for him and his flock, and if that's what it is, I applaud it.

If nothing else, maybe it will cause his flock to rethink $cientology to some degree. Whether it's a slip of the tongue on his part or P.R., it's interesting to see what happens.

OperatingSP

Patron with Honors

The following comment was posted on Marty's blog in response to a comment by Tiziano's father, Claudio:

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/fear-no-evil/#comment-243740

CommunicatorIC | December 13, 2012 at 6:08 pm | Reply

I am so touched and struck by this for two reasons. First, it is so powerful by itself. But, secondly, I’m struck by its connection to a news article I just read 15 minutes ago. I’m struck by how good acts, virtuous acts, acts of courage, such as yours, propagate and reverberate into the future. I’m reminded of the quotation from the movie Gladiator: “What we do in life echoes in eternity.”

You loved your son. You stood by your son. You did not permit your affinity to be alloyed. One of the small results was this:

NEW from the Hollywood Reporter:

‘A Corrupted Cult’: Musician Behind Anti-Scientology Rap Speaks
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a-corrupted-cult-musician-anti-400558

Excerpt: “Former church member Tiziano Lugli says Kirstie Alley was once his best friend and that he used to play basketball with Tom Cruise’s son; now his life’s mission is “to make sure no one else goes into the trap.”

He looks like Tom Cruise, drives a red motorcycle like Tom Cruise and, up until 2010, he says he believed like Tom Cruise.”

You loved and protected your son. Your son came to the defense of a persecuted innocent. Such is how good triumphs over evil.

Andtheyalllived

Patron with Honors

Shocked this got through:

For those of you who still believe in the Evils Of Psychiatry, let me assure you that nothing I have ever said to any of my shrinks over the years has come out in public. I don’t have psychiatrists plastering my neighborhood with statements I’ve made about my sex life, or throwing out a full list of my medication history. Doctor-patient confidentiality is real with psychiatrists.

But (not like y'all don't know): This is all so very wog targeted. Every ex or current already knows everything he wrote. I think he is caring way less about his 200 fans and shooting more for the official "ex-number2-in-the -church-spokesman" career. He's broke, interest is waning, K hasn't divorced T lately.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

I know that this goes on because I have been subjected to the product of it but does anyone know when and where all this indoctrination occurs with the auditors and C/Ss? Is it done during cramming?

Anyone here, who was ever an auditor or C/S, recall enduring this crap?

OperatingSP

Patron with Honors

Shocked this got through:
For those of you who still believe in the Evils Of Psychiatry, let me assure you that nothing I have ever said to any of my shrinks over the years has come out in public. I don’t have psychiatrists plastering my neighborhood with statements I’ve made about my sex life, or throwing out a full list of my medication history. Doctor-patient confidentiality is real with psychiatrists.
Precise source of quotation on Marty's blog:
http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/fear-no-evil/#comment-243658

Jquepublic

Silver Meritorious Patron

I know that this goes on because I have been subjected to the product of it but does anyone know when and where all this indoctrination occurs with the auditors and C/Ss? Is it done during cramming?

Anyone here, who was ever an auditor or C/S, recall enduring this crap?

This part?
Scientology counselors are drilled for months – and sometimes years – on communication skills that are designed to make a seeker completely comfortable with sharing her innermost feelings and every detail about all of her frailties and shortcomings. Scientology counselors are trained to overcome their own possible misgivings about invading the privacy of another in order to ensure they probe every dark corner of another’s mind. The seeker is carefully indoctrinated that in order to achieve any gain in Scientology it is first and foremost necessary that she willingly discloses every secret, dark or light, she may possess. Scientology counselors are trained to naturally and thoroughly note for posterity every detail of the confessions that their counselees so disclose.

Every step of auditor training is designed to make you into an expert at getting people to talk to you and getting them to tell you anything. There is no one specific level that accomplishes it. The indoctrination starts with the TRs and carries on through the rest of your training. And you're convinced at each stage that it's "in the best interest of the preclear" that you're doing it. Even taking detailed notes of what is said in session is in the best interest of the preclear as you're guaranteeing that if he or she hits the skids later on you'll have enough detailed info in the folder to figure out where things went south and fix it.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron

Lisa Gibson the wife of an OSA er at the time GO member named David Sandwiess, iin Las Vegas, said she believed David was induced to commit suicide (with a gun in the mouth aiming up) by scientology operatives after he was caught burglarizing a psychiatrist's office.

Bob Minton was convinced scientology had burglarized his psychiatrist's office and gotten his medical records.

Just two off the top of my head...

arnie lerma

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron

Seems pretty clear that "Scientology Organization" means Co$. However his continued dissection of Scientology, I hope, will lead him to realize the general applicability of his critique. I don't think he realized what he was really saying - lol. He said Scientology and hopefully soon he will realize that it's not just DMology, but Hubbard's crazed policies that, if followed, will bring about the same result, regardless of who is following them.

Marty in his sloppiness has offered himself an opportunity to see something that to date he's not seen. It will be interesting to see how/if he revises his words.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

This part?

Every step of auditor training is designed to make you into an expert at getting people to talk to you and getting them to tell you anything. There is no one specific level that accomplishes it. The indoctrination starts with the TRs and carries on through the rest of your training. And you're convinced at each stage that it's "in the best interest of the preclear" that you're doing it. Even taking detailed notes of what is said in session is in the best interest of the preclear as you're guaranteeing that if he or she hits the skids later on you'll have enough detailed info in the folder to figure out where things went south and fix it.

No. My error. I see now after re-reading it, that this part was referring to scientologists in general, not just auditors and C/Ss.

"Scientologists are indoctrinated to fully believe that the ends of the Scientology organization justify whatever betrayal of an individual’s rights might be considered necessary for the organization’s survival."

Andtheyalllived

Patron with Honors

What makes it interesting is that I really do believe it was a mistake on his part. And can't even say what I'd do in his position... Is it worth going back/changing/calling attention to the fact that everything he writes is a POSITIONING STATEMENT?

Sorry... 3 months ago I thought Marty was a superhero. DM was the devil.
DM really IS the devil, I was right about that. But I'm reminded of that old adage of the Devil You Know..."

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron

What makes it interesting is that I really do believe it was a mistake on his part. And can't even say what I'd do in his position... Is it worth going back/changing/calling attention to the fact that everything he writes is a POSITIONING STATEMENT?

Sorry... 3 months ago I thought Marty was a superhero. DM was the devil.
DM really IS the devil, I was right about that. But I'm reminded of that old adage of the Devil You Know..."

Well, a belated welcome to the real world. :coolwink:

Don't worry, it's a process that we all go through. Succinctly summarized by Arnie Lerma here.

http://www.lermanet.com/cos/8steps.html

Perhaps even Marty is going through it. :whistling:

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron

From Marty's post:

"Well-established Scientology policy assumes that one cannot partially disagree or reject part of Scientology, “If a group member rejects the group, he rejects everything about the group and no further question about that.” Until and unless the disaffected individual ‘comes to her senses’ and capitulates to the authority of the group – accepting every policy and everything about the group – she is treated as an enemy of the group."

Where did this come from? Is there a policy by LRH on it or is it the dwarf?

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron

From Marty's post:

"Well-established Scientology policy assumes that one cannot partially disagree or reject part of Scientology, “If a group member rejects the group, he rejects everything about the group and no further question about that.” Until and unless the disaffected individual ‘comes to her senses’ and capitulates to the authority of the group – accepting every policy and everything about the group – she is treated as an enemy of the group."

Where did this come from? Is there a policy by LRH on it or is it the dwarf?

I have never seen this stated as such, but it is an attitude I have run across which flares up if you comment on any outpoint that you noticed. It seems to be a combination of KSW, Safeguarding Technology and the "Disaffection/Rollback" issues. With a few high crimes thrown in. Stir well.

That bit about what is true for you is what is true and Scientology makes someone able to think for themselves is just to suck in the newbies. No-one believes that any more.

OperatingSP

Patron with Honors

More concern expressed by Marty's parishioners....

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2012/12/13/fear-no-evil/#comment-243795

Grasshopper | December 13, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Reply
Where are you going with this, Marty? Seems you are conflating “Scientologists” with “Corporate Scientologists” and I can read it this way – that we (Indies) must be called something else. That’s how it came off to me.