What's new

Marty Rathbun: thoughts on Scientology and spirituality

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
<This thread is a merge of multiple threads on Rathbun's evolution. M1>

Evolution

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/evolution/
Evolution Posted on January 14, 2013 by martyrathbun09 | Leave a comment

Below is a republication of a section of What Is Wrong With Scientology? that addresses my second piece of advice for future vitality of the subject of Scientology (the first was covered in the post, Integrate). Please share your thoughts about these thoughts.

Evolve or Dissolve

During my three-year hiatus from communication with any Scientologists, I worked with a man named John Kelley as a writer and editor for his alternative newspaper in Corpus Christi. John is a retired cognitive-behavioral therapist. One day I asked him to describe cognitive-behavioral psychology to me. He said that the therapist guides the patient to review his past, in order to assist him to come to realization (cognition) about his own behavior. The central idea is that a person’s behavior can only be changed for the better when the individual self-determinatively recognizes the need for it, and decides to do so himself. The therapist does not invalidate (chastise), or evaluate (tell the patient how to think about himself). Instead he simply guides the person to look, so that the patient may come to cognition. In short, John described the heart and soul of the Scientology auditing process, probably better than I had heard any corporate Scientologist attempt to do so in the past. Comparing my discussions with John to the fevered anti-psych rallies of Scientology Inc. got me to thinking about evolution.

Scientology culture has become so “creationist” in thinking as to be as intolerant and blind to the idea of evolution as the most far-out evangelical cult. After 27 years on the inside, I did not fully recognize that fact until I read Ken Wilbur’s A Brief History of Everything. Wilbur very intelligently treats the subject of how humanity, culture and civilization have evolved, and continue to. Wilbur does not write about Darwinism, fossils, apes and genetics. He writes about the changes we as thinking people go through every day, and their cumulative effects on the world community over years, and even centuries. Like Hubbard, Wilbur’s thinking goes so far outside the box he must create new constructs and even nomenclature to describe the concepts he offers. An honest study of that book would startle a Scientologist. What Wilbur discovers and shares from a philosophical perspective aligns with Scientology as closely as the quantum physicists’ discoveries noted in the last chapter. The indirect validations of Scientology in his chapters dealing with spiritual and philosophical evolution are remarkable, particularly when one sees there are no mentions of the subject, and no indication the author has any familiarity with Scientology.

Ironically, while A Brief History to me is a validation of Scientology technology, the organizations of corporate Scientology and the culture it has spawned fit squarely into Wilbur’s description of medieval times, dark ages of stunted and regressed evolution in human history. Those were the times when the church punished and tortured intellectual and scientific renegades who dared to explore outside of – and thus potentially make discoveries contrary to – church doctrine.

Comparing my experience in corporate Scientology to my experience outside of it, and measuring both of them up to accounts and evidence of how philosophy, religion, psychology, and self-help have evolved over the past 60 years, it became apparent to me that Scientology Inc. is not only ignorant of the evolution of thought on Earth, it is fighting it. It is as absurd as Don Quixote’s tilting at windmills. But it is far sadder than the story of the man from La Mancha. Quixote’s fantasy did not visit much harm upon a lot of others. Scientology Inc. is betraying its own people and the philosophy it purports to hold a monopoly on by, among other things, condemning others who are attempting to evolve.

Where did behavioral-cognitive psychology get the idea that the only effective change could come from within the patient? Certainly not from Scientology – that would be the last place targets of corporate Scientology would look for answers. Perhaps it got it from the same place Hubbard did: Eastern thought. In a 1954 lecture, aptly titled Scientology: Its General Background, Hubbard let his people in on how he developed Scientology auditing. Quoting from early Buddhist literature, he explained some of Scientology’s bedrock principles:

And that is simply this (this is from the Dhammapada): “All that we are is the result of what we have thought. It is founded upon our thoughts; it is made up of our thoughts.” Interesting, isn’t it? The next verse, you might say, is “By oneself evil is done; by oneself one suffers. By oneself evil is left undone; by oneself one is purified. Purity and impurity belong to oneself; no one can purify another.” Well, it’s just as you say: You can’t grant beingness to the preclear and overawe him; you’ve got to have him working on self-determinism or not at all, if you wanted to give that any kind of an interpretation. In other words, you’ve got to restore his ability to grant beingness or he does not become well. And we know that by test.

As covered throughout this book, those bedrock principles, which serve as the magic that Scientology can be when in well-intentioned hands, have been shattered by corporate Scientology practices which add up to the crippling of self-determinism. And during the decades it took to reverse Scientology practices so thoroughly, traditional mental health practices apparently have adopted some of the same universal truths Scientology is predicated upon. Evolution has thus left Scientology behind. That is not because evolution or the psychological arts and sciences have discriminated against Scientology. It is because the monopoly Hubbard once warned Scientologists against allowing to arise has steered Scientology against evolution. Scientology has become that which it so forcefully resisted. Meanwhile, that which it continues to resist no longer even exists. If Scientologists do not learn to evolve, their vitality will continue to dissolve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Marty: Evolution

Well, thank you Marty - now I want to read that book. (not Marty's , the other one) And thank you communicator in / charge for posting that. Mimsey

tetloj

Silver Meritorious Patron

Marty needs an understanding of Occam's razor. It's painful to watch how he twists himself to sustain his beliefs.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Oh, let 'em all become open minded and eventually Scientology will seem just a tiny piece of the whole.
Fine by me.

koki

Silver Meritorious Patron

is it just me, or .....

how can Marty present brown car, and tell/write that it is red car...
and suddenly no one speaks about color,but about lights,rear view mirrors,bla bla bla....:duh:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Marty: Transcend

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2013/01/18/transcend/
Transcend Posted on January 18, 2013 by martyrathbun09 | 38 Comments

The following is the third piece of advice I shared with Scientologists in What Is Wrong With Scientology? I would love to hear what Independent Scientologists have to say about this.

Transcend or Descend

At the January, 1986 L. Ron Hubbard funeral event we touched on in Chapter 12, Pat Broeker announced that OT 9 and OT 10 were fully written up by Hubbard and ready for release. That was a blatant lie.

Twenty years later, David Miscavige told a collection of elite Scientology contributors that L. Ron Hubbard had written up OT 9, OT 10, OT 11, OT 12, OT 13, OT 14 and OT 15. That was a whopping lie. The last OT level L. Ron Hubbard ever wrote up was OT 8. Then he died.

Pat Broeker used the threat of never turning over the alleged OT 9 and OT 10 in an effort to get Miscavige to allow him to exercise control in Scientology Inc. I was a part of three separate forcible search-and-seizures Miscavige directed in order to get at the alleged OT 9 and 10 at Broeker hideouts. Each time we came up empty-handed, and finally concluded there were no such things. This was validated by the senior technical officer of Scientology since L Ron Hubbard’s death, one Ray Mithoff. Mithoff audited Hubbard during his final week of life. Mithoff acknowledged in my presence that Hubbard had nothing intelligible to say about any levels that might exist above OT 8, let alone gave any indication that anything had been written up about them.

These horrendous big lies, growing in magnitude as years rolled by, are the continuing creation of the religious con played out through the ages, so well described in Paine’s Age of Reason.

For those who have honestly accomplished OT 8, it makes perfect sense. After all, at OT 8 Hubbard seeks to guide an individual toward a state or condition of no longer having the slightest attention devoted to past identities, any aspect of the past, introversion or regression. At that level, there wouldn’t be even a remote desire for or inclination toward introspective processes or practices of any kind.

A number of people who had completed OT 8 have come to me, hoping that I could give some inside scoop on where Hubbard said it went from there. My response is usually along the lines of: “Please do not invalidate yourself and Hubbard so. Do you think he was cruel enough to build the Bridge to a place where, when you’ve reached the apex, you are so ill-equipped to move on that you must cling to the guard rail , waiting for some priest to prescribe your every step? Do you feel so vulnerable and weak that you cannot step out on your own and begin to walk your own walk toward higher plateaus?”

I sometimes share the following account of a Zen Buddhist practitioner’s colloquy with Zen master Xuedou:

Someone asked Xuedou, “As it is said, ‘the road beyond is not transmitted by any of the sages.’ Where did you get it?” Xuedou said, “I thought you were a Zen practitioner.”

Some express disbelief that Hubbard would not have published something that explicitly let the world know that OT 8 was the end. First, this is not surprising to me. Hubbard was perpetually exploring and prolifically publishing the results of his findings, throughout his life. I would have expected him to be exploring to the end, and if he died before he found anything worthy of publication during his elderly ventures, then the last thing he published would be the last thing he found worthy of publication. Second, if one thinks that OT 8 is the end simply because it is the ultimate attainment on the Scientology Bridge, then from the very beginning one wasn’t pursuing the same ends Hubbard was.

To feel or act as if one needed to be the recipient of more knowledge or more effect, then one would have fallen into the trap Hubbard himself warned that formal education had created to sabotage the entire field of philosophy:

I hope no man ever falls into that trap because it blocked human thought and human progress. Philosophy became completely abandoned as a subject…and even at this moment they still give a Doctor of Philosophy degree in universities which demands only this of the student: that he know what philosophers have said. Now, that is incredible. If you had a Doctor of Philosophy, you would expect that Doctor of Philosophy to be able to philosophize. The professors of those courses would just be shocked beyond shock if you dared come in and infer that the end and goal of their students should be the production of philosophy. No sir, that’s how you keep a society static.

I have seen subjectively and objectively that this is precisely the product produced by corporate Scientology. They create people who have devoted their entire adult lives to studying and auditing to achieve the ability of ‘knowing how to know’ (the very definition of Scientology), only to wind up feeling lost, abandoned, and powerless to do anything except to slavishly kowtow to a fascist regime, in hopes it will dispense the next carrot of wisdom.

And so the corporate Scientologist never learns to walk the walk. Instead, he learns to stand compliantly in leg shackles and talk the Scientology Inc. talk.

One who has reached the top in Scientology has two choices: transcend or descend. One can descend down into the mire that corporate Scientology has become. That entails adopting the sickly ‘victim’ jacket, since the hallmark of a corporate Scientologist is the certainty that until certain people, ideas and even fields of study are exterminated, Scientology can never achieve its aims. It means covertly being a victim while asserting with great energy that you are quite the opposite, the totally-certain superhero who is part of the elite group with the only answer, and thus possess carte blanche with which to forward that group by any means necessary. It includes behaving in a compliant, other-determined fashion, so as to avoid getting into trouble and tarnishing one’s image and status. Because in Miscavige’s world, image and status have become everything.

Or one can choose to transcend. Transcend with your developed insight and ability to observe and think for yourself. Maybe even use what you know to help others ascend and transcend. For me, that has included using Scientology to help others remove those jackets that keep them weighted to serious, painful lives. Each auditing session I deliver – at whatever level of the Bridge – not only results in cognitions (enlightenments) for the preclear, it also results in cognitions on my part. I continue to study and find and use many other writings, from various sources, that might work more directly to move a particular individual on up a little higher from where he or she might stand. That study also brings about a greater appreciation of what is right and workable and recognition of what is wrong and unworkable about Scientology. But I am not saying that is your calling, purpose, or path to greater heights. Only you can determine what that is.

AnonyMary

Re: Marty: Transcend

Pat Broeker used the threat of never turning over the alleged OT 9 and OT 10 in an effort to get Miscavige to allow him to exercise control in Scientology Inc. I was a part of three separate forcible search-and-seizures Miscavige directed in order to get at the alleged OT 9 and 10 at Broeker hideouts. Each time we came up empty-handed, and finally concluded there were no such things. This was validated by the senior technical officer of Scientology since L Ron Hubbard’s death, one Ray Mithoff. Mithoff audited Hubbard during his final week of life. Mithoff acknowledged in my presence that Hubbard had nothing intelligible to say about any levels that might exist above OT 8, let alone gave any indication that anything had been written up about them.

These horrendous big lies, growing in magnitude as years rolled by, are the continuing creation of the religious con played out through the ages, so well described in Paine’s Age of Reason.

Calling Pat a liar based upon Hubbard being ill a week before his death and not being able to say anything intelligible. What does this say about Hubbard changing his will the day before he died? My God, Marty is an idiot!

Boomima

Patron with Honors

Calling Pat a liar based upon Hubbard being ill a week before his death and not being able to say anything intelligible. What does this say about Hubbard changing his will the day before he died? My God, Marty is an idiot!

I was a part of three separate forcible search-and-seizures Miscavige directed in order to get at the alleged OT 9 and 10 at Broeker hideouts. Each time we came up empty-handed, and finally concluded there were no such things.

Has Marty considered that this is not a sentence that a normal person would write without shame or at least some head shaking? Does Marty even understand that he did some terrible things while he was in the CoS?

AnonyMary

Has Marty considered that this is not a sentence that a normal person would write without shame or at least some head shaking? Does Marty even understand that he did some terrible things while he was in the CoS?

You are so right. I was so upset by the first comment that what you pointed out didn't hit me at first.

Thank you.

Gib

Crusader

This was validated by the senior technical officer of Scientology since L Ron Hubbard’s death, one Ray Mithoff. Mithoff audited Hubbard during his final week of life. Mithoff acknowledged in my presence that Hubbard had nothing intelligible to say about any levels that might exist above OT 8, let alone gave any indication that anything had been written up about them.

Thus, so much for LRH being cause in able to leave the body. As in OT8 - cause over matter, energy, space and time, or whatever it is.

LRH says at the end, sorry boys, that is it, OT8, now you must transcend.

da Guru has spoken, will you listen. :hysterical::hysterical: The bridge to total freedom is alive and well, just continue researching per marty. You now know you are not what you were, as even Mr Isene has found heaven. :thumbsup:

Gib

Crusader

Twenty years later, David Miscavige told a collection of elite Scientology contributors that L. Ron Hubbard had written up OT 9, OT 10, OT 11, OT 12, OT 13, OT 14 and OT 15. That was a whopping lie. The last OT level L. Ron Hubbard ever wrote up was OT 8. Then he died.

I wonder who these "elite Scientology contributors" were and

are they still in or left the scientology mindset?

And what does "elite scientology contributor actually mean? Somebody who gave lots of bucks, or somebody who truely is an OT?

Boomima

Patron with Honors

I have a question for you, Mary (or anyone else who can answer). Is Ray Mithoff still in the church? I know he was as of 2009 because the Times quoted him in response to their article about the CoS. If he is still in the Church, why believe him? Because Marty was still in then and believed him? Presumably, "corporate Scientologists" are not to be trusted, right?

Gib

Crusader

Here's a comment from LDW:

"LDW| January 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Reply

It’s a helluva lot of devotion to make it all the way through the materials of OT VIII, The original OT levels, the L’s and Graduate Class V.

I don’t regret any of it. Enormous wins.
I would like to present my own version of OT IX, which one can do only after completing all of the above:
Spend 1/2 hour per day doing TR 8 until the damn ashtray either moves or completely disappears.
Spend the rest of your day doing whatever the hell you want.
End of OT IX."

Ok, he says "Enormous wins".

That's great. I have a win when I take a good BM. So do my dogs, they are really happy after going poop.

What about ability gained, like the actual EP's of each auditing level? Hey, I can talk to anybody, but of course not to SP's or protestors in front of orgs???????????? Those SP's erase my case gain - WTF.

Or even the EP of the Pro TR's course - ability to handle any conversation?

Veda

Sponsor

I wonder who these "elite Scientology contributors" were and

are they still in or left the scientology mindset?

And what does "elite scientology contributor actually mean? Somebody who gave lots of bucks, or somebody who truly is an OT?

Rathbun says Miscavige told a "whopping lie" when he said there were OT levels 9 through 15, but it was Hubbard who told the whopping lie first. And he did it repeatedly. Here are two examples:

HCOB 30 July 1973

Current State of Subject and Materials

There are perhaps 15 levels above OT VII fully developed but existing only in un-issued note form, pending more people's full attainment of OT VI and VII.

HCOB 24 January 1977

Tech Correction Round Up
24 January 1977

X: Advanced Grades

For a number of years people have asked when will OT VIII will be released.

Well, to tell you the honest truth, OT VIII has been in existence all those several years, and to it has been added a very large number of OT grades. None of them have been issued. Notes for all these grades are in existence

What I have been waiting for is 2 or 3 months of free time to go over these materials and write them up and make them available through Advanced Organizations.

Now I will make a bargain with you. If you get all the tech straightened out and the orgs and flaps and emergencies off my lines and get your training in and your Word Clearing in and everything flying and this civilization even more pointed in a civilized direction, you will buy me those 3 months' worth of time so I will be able to afford the time to write up all these Advanced Levels I have researched. Do your job well and buy me these three months.

Is it a bargain?

L. Ron Hubbard

Founder

Then Hubbard had time to write these:

profile_chronology_92_mission-earth-01.png

Now Rathbun is telling a whopping lie to cover for Hubbard's whopping lie - while being tactically clever and, in an environment extremely critical of Hubbard, expressing his own carefully selected "criticisms" of Hubbard so as to maintain credibility. Rathbun must ensure that he is "accepted" (as credible) by the same "public" that, in the long term, he hopes to bring into a state of mind where they also, finally, "accept" L. Ron Hubbard, not necessarily to convert them to Scientology, but to bring them to where they find Hubbard "acceptable," and will cease cringing and laughing when the subject is broached. You're on one heck of a "mission," Marty. :duh:

Ridiculous.

Some entertaining insights from Alanzo's Blog concerning Marty Rathbun and Hubbard's non-existant the OT levels:

http://alanzosblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/marty-rathbuns-blind-spots-on-l-ron.html

It's interesting that Hubbard, for a decade during Scientology's period of greatest expansion, told Scientologists that there was a level called OT 8, at which one would be "knowing and willing cause over matter, energy, space, time, form, and life, subjective and objective," and attain "Total Freedom and Total Power." (This OT 8 never existed.)

Hubbard also explained that, "Since Scientology can deliver Total Freedom, it can demand total discipline."

It's mind-boggling to consider how much abuse was inflicted, and justified, based on Hubbard's empty promises - promises that he knew were lies.

Why not say, if one is a tech groupie, "Hubbard lied about the OT levels, and OT 3 isn't a metaphor (that's an old BS PR line and we won't use it anymore), OT 3 was madness (just as Paul Haggis, refreshingly, said the other day), and Hubbard masterminded the abuses against people such as Paulette Cooper, and Hubbard used children for slaves, and lied repeatedly, and had a self-serving hidden agenda his entire adult life, but we tech groupies are still enchanted with the tech, and we're RON groupies too if truth be told, and we just want to do our thing, so we'll take the screwed up teachings of L. Ron Hubbard and do the best we can with them."

That would still be pathetic, but at least it would be honest.

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor

It's a Bridge, dammit,
it IS a Bridge!
SciBridge.jpg

by Mark "Marty" Rathbun

AnonyMary

I have a question for you, Mary (or anyone else who can answer). Is Ray Mithoff still in the church? I know he was as of 2009 because the Times quoted him in response to their article about the CoS. If he is still in the Church, why believe him? Because Marty was still in then and believed him? Presumably, "corporate Scientologists" are not to be trusted, right?

As far as I know, Mithoff is still in.

Why believe the statement attributed to him? Because that kind of statement is just not somethinbg I feel could be made up. It throws a wrench into the whole picture, and helps support suspicions of the past about Hubbard's competency and death. Marty just wasn't thinking objectively when he posted that. He just added it to prove his point and support his declaration that he forcefully tried to get the documents from Pat.

I could care less if there's an OT IX or higher but just because Marty and others tried and failed to find the dox doesn't mean that they don't exist - or didn't exist at the time. I'd trust Pat Broeker over a henchman any day.