What's new

Tony Ortega: The Atlantic Magazine Becomes Scientology’s Newest “Ideal Org”

Andtheyalllived

Patron with Honors
Re: The Atlantic says "sorry" for the scientology advert

Yeah the media storm was amazing and some of the comments from The Atlantic were interesting like "We screwed up". I'm trying to figure out exactly what he means by that. Does he mean "everybody knows scientology is a batshit crazy UFO cult and we would never run one of their ads in our right minds?". Or is it more subtle like "we would never run a fluff piece like that for anybody in our right minds".
I think he means "everybody knows Scientology is a batshit crazy cult but us." Well, we KINDA knew, but we didn't know anyone was watching this stuff - just thought it was fringe. Well, um, did you know they gave us 50 grand? Well.. Oh, look, a chicken!

Purple Rain

Crusader
That Onion piece was pure awesome. Except I kinda think the Taliban might still have more members than the cult.

Now if only Obama would pay as much attention to the cult as he does the Taliban.....

Yes, I know. And as much as I have enjoyed the laughs and the strength of feeling from ordinary people on the internet I have to wonder if it's forcing Scientologists to reconsider the power of the individual. They are so used to putting this spy in here, paying that shill, sending this movie star in there, tweaking that opinion leader in that area, that they have forgotten I think that they are surrounded by billions and billions of people. They leverage so much power from their 0.001 population percentage base that they forget that at the end of the day they are accountable to sheer numbers of people. And eventually people get to the point where they've had enough. They might not have known before, or cared, but now they're royally pissed off. Then they roar. And how beautiful is that roar of the people!

Purple Rain

Crusader
Re: The Atlantic says "sorry" for the scientology advert

I think he means "everybody knows Scientology is a batshit crazy cult but us." Well, we KINDA knew, but we didn't know anyone was watching this stuff - just thought it was fringe. Well, um, did you know they gave us 50 grand? Well.. Oh, look, a chicken!

Lol, they would have given you much more than that!

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

ScreenShot2013-01-15at75719PM-1.jpg

A response from the magazine. . .

Originally Posted by Atlantic Monthly Staff

Dear Dave

YSCOHB? We suck cock on Hollywood Boulevard?

No.

YSCOHB! (You Suck Cult on Hubbard's Bullshit)

ChurchOfCylontology

Patron with Honors
I haven't seen these posted yet in this thread (forgive the Google links...I pulled this from a Google Alert):

The Atlantic Apologizes for Scientology Ad
New York Times (blog)http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/15/the-atlantic-apologizes-for-scientology-ad/&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgAIAAoATAAOABAkdfXhwVIAVAAWABiBWVuLVVT&cd=PgVZTGIuPbE&usg=AFQjCNGfTc5wfqyb9AokowPw4PQCMa6fjA
By BRIAN STELTER and CHRISTINE HAUGHNEY. The Atlantic on Tuesday issued a simple three-word apology for publishing an advertisement by the Church of Scientology that resembled a normal article from the acclaimed magazine: “We screwed up.” ...

The 'Atlantic,' the Church of Scientology, and the Perils of Native Advertising
Businessweek http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-15/the-atlantic-the-church-of-scientology-and-the-perils-of-native-advertising&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgAIAAoATABOAFAkdfXhwVIAVAAWABiBWVuLVVT&cd=PgVZTGIuPbE&usg=AFQjCNFJ9mqmCSEeqEcbY0b4rer8MAZ-3A
The Atlantic, the 157-year-old magazine, whipped the Internet into a frenzy on Monday night, when journalists noticed a peculiar story about the Church of Scientology on the publication's website. The article, which celebrated the church's past year of ...

The Atlantic Apologizes for 'Screw Up' on Scientology Advertorial
AdAge.com http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://adage.com/article/media/atlantic-pulls-advertorial-promoting-scientology/239185/&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgAIAAoATACOAJAkdfXhwVIAVAAWABiBWVuLVVT&cd=PgVZTGIuPbE&usg=AFQjCNF1DHddrHQWhE9NZIcuyPx9iqkMKA
The Atlantic has taken down a sponsored post promoting the Church of Scientology following an eruption of criticism Monday night. "We screwed up," The Atlantic said in a statement Tuesday morning. "It shouldn't have taken a wave of constructive ...

The Atlantic Pulls Scientology 'Sponsor Content' Following Online Uproar
Mediaite http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.mediaite.com/online/the-atlantic-pulls-scientology-sponsor-content-following-online-uproar/&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgAIAAoATADOANAkdfXhwVIAVAAWABiBWVuLVVT&cd=PgVZTGIuPbE&usg=AFQjCNHhwjSsjC6qw55kHAUXKAQITuW7Dw
The post entitled “David Miscavige Leads Scientology to Milestone Year” lauded Church of Scientology leader David Miscavige for his “unrelenting” work. He “has led a renaissance for the religion itself, while driving worldwide programs to serve ...

Behold The Bizarre Scientology Advertorial The Atlantic Pulled From Its Website
Gothamist http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://gothamist.com/2013/01/15/behold_the_bizarre_scientology_adve.php&ct=ga&cad=CAcQARgAIAAoATAEOARAkdfXhwVIAVAAWABiBWVuLVVT&cd=PgVZTGIuPbE&usg=AFQjCNFKZHDrDK78SQATc_ghAdRi3FBRdw
[UPDATE BELOW] Last night a deluxe "sponsored post" appeared on The Atlantic's website and then, hours later, suddenly disappeared. The topic, as you can see below (scroll down), was Scientology, in particular the various inspiring triumphs the ..

-----------------------------------------

Read the AdAge story....it gives some good details, and from what I know about AdAge that it is a huge presence in the advertising industry so this will get the attention of just about everyone that has 1) sold advertising space to Scientology, or 2) considering selling space to Scientology in all mediums. This is GOOD STUFF.

tetloj

Silver Meritorious Patron
Yes, I know. And as much as I have enjoyed the laughs and the strength of feeling from ordinary people on the internet I have to wonder if it's forcing Scientologists to reconsider the power of the individual. They are so used to putting this spy in here, paying that shill, sending this movie star in there, tweaking that opinion leader in that area, that they have forgotten I think that they are surrounded by billions and billions of people. They leverage so much power from their 0.001 population percentage base that they forget that at the end of the day they are accountable to sheer numbers of people. And eventually people get to the point where they've had enough. They might not have known before, or cared, but now they're royally pissed off. Then they roar. And how beautiful is that roar of the people!

This highlights the importance of the role of individual activists (i.e. all of us). If we do no more than inhabit blogs and message boards, lurk or banter, when the issue arises there is a population there to galvanise, respond, explain, point to resources.

All of this time watching and waiting for the right time and opportunity to spread that awareness a bit further.

The immediate cause of any collapse can seem completely benign (not predicting this is a collapse).

We will never know which issue it will be, but is is crucial to just keep hanging around waiting to fan that spark when it happens.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
I find it amusing to recall that back in 1945, it was the Atlantic Monthly (as it was then called) which carried an article by the prominent government scientist Vannevar Bush, called "As We May Think."

Bush described some emerging technologies such as microfilm, and proposed a means of linking information together, from one piece to another. In effect, he proposed the hyperlink - the technology at the core of the World Wide Web. Further, he foresaw a time when his proposed encyclopaedia would be built into a piece of furniture, and go into your home.

Almost seventy years later, it's those links and those devices that caused The Atlantic so much trouble... and allowed us to get the cult's lies taken down.

Real knowingness is incompatible with Hubbardism.

Sindy

Crusader
Okay, normally I wouldn't get into this petty crap but the cult is so devious and despicably underhanded, I feel compelled.

All right. Since the cult's sponsored ad got pulled, Louanne (or whoever the hell she really is) has taken a cached version and put it on scribd and has spammed the comment sections of various blogs, calling the removal of this "official article" blatant censorship. Anyhow, she has put this link in many places but it, too, has a comment section.

I put a comment there earlier today. She removed it. I just put the comment back. It would really be cool if others went to this link and commented too as it requires her to take it down for hours just to remove a single comment.:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/120420141...Miscavige-Leads-Scientology-to-Milestone-Year

Thank you!

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
Forget Karin Pouw: she's got no confront. David Mismanage should appoint that Louanne creature as his new spokesdrone.

Sindy

Crusader
Forget Karin Pouw: she's got no confront. David Mismanage should appoint that Louanne creature as his new spokesdrone.

Absolutely. That woman is seriously messed up. She is such a pathological liar and so deluded. She frankly is just "not there". I am actually concerned for her. She is going insane. (I am talking about "Louanne")

TG1

Angelic Poster
More hilarity that the cult decries "censorship" when they can't confront a free exchange of ideas ANYWHERE -- either inside or outside their cult walls.

What douches.

This epic fail just gets epic'er.

TG1

Sindy

Crusader
More hilarity that the cult decries "censorship" when they can't confront a free exchange of ideas ANYWHERE -- either inside or outside their cult walls.

What douches.

This epic fail just gets epic'er.

TG1

Exactly. What is crazy is that she, presumably a rep of the cult, is out there slamming the Atlantic, the one and only publication (other than their own bloviated press releases) that gave them the time of day (even if only for 12 hours). As soon as their ruse didn't work, the Atlantic became instant scum and most certainly out to get them. Oh the sad life of a cult member.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Okay, normally I wouldn't get into this petty crap but the cult is so devious and despicably underhanded, I feel compelled.

All right. Since the cult's sponsored ad got pulled, Louanne (or whoever the hell she really is) has taken a cached version and put it on scribd and has spammed the comment sections of various blogs, calling the removal of this "official article" blatant censorship. Anyhow, she has put this link in many places but it, too, has a comment section.

I put a comment there earlier today. She removed it. I just put the comment back. It would really be cool if others went to this link and commented too as it requires her to take it down for hours just to remove a single comment.:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/120420141...Miscavige-Leads-Scientology-to-Milestone-Year

Thank you!

Louanne is such an idiot. There is no constitutional right to PAID speech. Any company has the right to be discriminating about their sponsorship. Otherwise anyone could rock up to the Atlantic and insist on an ad to sell their baby, an ad for Westboro Baptist Church, an ad for Sham Wow even. No, sorry, Louanne. Advertising is a privilege not a right. It is earned by one's reputation. If you're not going to look at why the rest of society disapproves of your organisation you'd better learn to suck it up and stop bitching.

And oh the hyprocrisy!

Feel free to retweet me world, lol!

Purple Rain

Crusader

Thank you!

The comments seem to have been disabled.

Sindy

Crusader
The comments seem to have been disabled.

You have to scroll all the way down to the bottom. The comment section is open. Did you see my comment? I'll put another one there so you can see that it's open.

My new comment:

"Instead of lamely attempting to purchase your way out of your horrid, global, PR problems, why don't you cease and desist your criminal activities, and start acting like a church is supposed to act. You can't buy your way out of your mess. You have to EARN the public's respect."