What's new

DM's Medals

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
This was the uniform to be worn by the King of Rhodesia once that position was attained by

the assigned scio. Couldn't let it go to waste. The lavender epaulets are not shown. :biggrin:

Only DM could make himself into a caricature of a caricature..

And Grady Ward to immortalize it:(1995)

"If DM can attend a deposition dressed as Admiral Farragut,
Keith Henson should attend dressed as Bozo the Clown.."

Anonycat

Crusader
officer_deep_dive_team_2_hat-p148557270467429553bf3ey_400.jpg

JB, since you awarded me an LOL for posting the cap, I just wanted to follow by saying (you very well may know) that the two seahorses facing, like on the Billion Year Contract, used the Navy logo shown on the cap. It looks like Ron stole quite a bit from the Navy.

Moosejewels

Patron Meritorious
Only DM could make himself into a caricature of a caricature..

And Grady Ward to immortalize it:(1995)

"If DM can attend a deposition dressed as Admiral Farragut,
Keith Henson should attend dressed as Bozo the Clown.."

Damned torpedoes anyway (do i have the right admiral ?) Honk honk, aaaooogaaa.

Moosejewels

Patron Meritorious
I can't imagine why they would want to hide those snazzy military uniforms...

[video=youtube;elw9e9LJIwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=elw9e9LJIwQ[/video]

The logo for Reli****s Technology Center Incorporated
and for their gestapo: OSA

pg402.jpg

more like this

A question popped into my head (ouch) whilst I was watching this video.

Not really important. Possibly falls under the category of trivia.

Question : What is the makeup of adults in the Sea Dorkanzation, female to male ratio ?

:confused2:

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
JB, since you awarded me an LOL for posting the cap, I just wanted to follow by saying (you very well may know) that the two seahorses facing, like on the Billion Year Contract, used the Navy logo shown on the cap. It looks like Ron stole quite a bit from the Navy.

In truth, I haven't yet run across anything that man didn't steal*.

What made me laugh was that I did recognize the sea horses just as you say, and all I could think of was that small bit of trivia stuck in my head that sea horse fathers carry the eggs, not the mothers. Added to that, on standard-issue (old-timey) Officer's Head Gear, the gold braided swirly-curlicue appliques on the black bill are referred to (mostly be enlisted personnel) as "scrambled eggs". So, in my li'l brain, when I saw the cap you featured in the pic, I thought the SeaOrg cap represented scrambled sea horse eggs. Erm, decidedly NOT funny as I type this. Sorry, all.

JB.
(*The worst thefts, imo, were time and trust.)

Red Valiant

Patron with Honors
In the Navy, on the dress blue uniform, officer rank is indicated by stripes on the sleeve. Four stripes like Davey is wearing indicates Navy Captain.

Capt_-Bruce-Lindsey1.jpg

True! Both the Navy and the Coast Guard have a different ranking (and stripe system) vs. the Army, Air Force, and Marines. My dad was a naval officer in WW2 (real and decorated on an air craft carrier,) I did a year in NROTC in the late 60's, and one of my kids is a (real) U.S. military officer and naval flight school grad.

Davie M's $cn rank = a full bird colonel in the other military branches. It's below the "star" ranks of general or admiral. I suppose he did that out of respect for Hubbard who he thinks is the galactic supreme allied commander of the universe somewhere in the Orion Belt!
:omg:

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron

If someone has a copy of a WWII USN Requisition Manual, (I *think* he said Requisition Manual...) - I was told that it contains a near word for word copy of "CSW" "Completed Staff Work" policy letter.

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron

A question popped into my head (ouch) whilst I was watching this video.

Not really important. Possibly falls under the category of trivia.

Question : What is the makeup of adults in the Sea Dorkanzation, female to male ratio ?

:confused2:

I couldnt say, however I don't recall any scarcity of females (1971-77)

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
True! Both the Navy and the Coast Guard have a different ranking (and stripe system) vs. the Army, Air Force, and Marines. My dad was a naval officer in WW2 (real and decorated on an air craft carrier,) I did a year in NROTC in the late 60's, and one of my kids is a (real) U.S. military officer and naval flight school grad.

Davie M's $cn rank = a full bird colonel in the other military branches. It's below the "star" ranks of general or admiral. I suppose he did that out of respect for Hubbard who he thinks is the galactic supreme allied commander of the universe somewhere in the Orion Belt!
:omg:

Commodore in WW2 was a Navy rank just above Captain (a one-star admiral), and at various other times was a title given to a senior Captain who commanded a small group of ships. So Captain is the highest Davey can be if he's unwilling to proclaim himself at a rank equal or higher than Commodore.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
I've been wondering for years what that top pin is - the all red one with the single gold star in the middle.

He'll wear that single one alone, while in a tux.

Anyone know the name of that pin and what DM awarded it to himself for?

No other exec has ever worn this pin as far as I know and I've guessed that the significance is loyal officer or winning the war aginst the IRS.

I don't know whether anyone else remembers this. This, I think was in the late 80s, and I think it was a Sea Org Day.

DM awarded Ray Mithoff the "Star of Trust". I don't remember the whole speech but it had something to do with "Ray took a badly sabotaged area and turned it around". It had to do with Mithoff taking over the Snr C/S Int office after David Mayo was declared.

I got the impression there was a Kha Kahn status attached to it.

I actually don't remember what the star looked like or where the whole concept came from. It may have been something from LRH, or not. I never saw one awarded before or since.

I do remember that it wasn't all that long after that that Mithoff got busted off that post. Maybe DM took the star back and kept it for himself.

I mean, he only trusts himself and no one else, right? It would make total sense.

(By the way, does anyone else remember this award?)

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'd be a bit surprised if the Sea Org could get nailed for fake uniforms just for the officers' stripes. They're such a well-known symbol, used in navies around the world, and I believe also by commercial shipping and airlines. I would think they'd only really get in legal trouble for more exact copying of US military uniforms.

The giant gold lanyard is unique to the Sea Org. It looks pretty silly. Real military units do sometimes have ceremonial lanyards and cords and things, but they are rarely used, not routine parts of everybody's uniform, and they are not so enormous.

I am curious about all these Scientology medal ribbons, though. Is there any official catalog of what they mean? An outfit that can invent a Freedom Medal of Valor to give to Tom Cruise ought to have a bunch more remarkable medals where that came from, I expect.

Commodore in WW2 was a Navy rank just above Captain (a one-star admiral), and at various other times was a title given to a senior Captain who commanded a small group of ships. ...

Your comment is a bit ambiguous as written.

A naval Captain is not a one star admiral. Admirals are flag officers, Individuals with the rank of Captain are not. Ships carrying flag officers fly an ensign (flag) with the a number of stars appropriate for the rating of the officer, hence the term 'flag officer'. The appropriate insignia for a Captain is a gold colored Eagle (in the u.s.) and he wears four stripes on his sleeve.

Commodore is the lowest grade of flag officer recognized in the u.s. fleets. The appropriate insignia for a Commodore is a single star. This is in contrast to Rear Admiral (two stars), Vice Admiral (three stars), Admiral (four stars), and Admiral of the Fleet (five star).

Commodore, like the 5 star rating Admiral of the Fleet, is not normally used by the services, although at various times the rating has been activated. It remains available as a 'brevet rank'. Brevet ranks are temporarily assigned to ensure a specific order of seniority during an assigned task or mission. As with your comment one example would be a small flotilla with the highest ranking officers being Captains, one of these (usually the most senior) may be breveted to Commodore for the duration of that mission. This is most likely during a time of combat when maintaining a clear line of command is deemed a critical aspect of fleet management. Ranks held as breveted are always only temporary unless later confirmed as a permanent increase in rank.

Additionally, and in the case of hubbard more accurately, yacht clubs frequently style their president or other leading individual as a Commodore. Of course this has no legal standing whatsoever; it is only an honorific title for what is essentially the head of the organizing committee of a social group. As Hubbard registered and ran the SO fleet as his personal private yachts, it was not wholly inappropriate that he should choose to refer to himself as the Commodore. However, Hubbard being Hubbard and compelled to exult and glorify his position to others, extended the significance of that usage among his followers far beyond any reasonable interpretation of the term, confusing the usage and implying that the reference meant something greater than it did.

So, despite the fevered imagination & longings of hubbard and his loyalists, rather than likening the SO to some sort of naval organization it is more accurate to think of it in terms of a rather strange yacht club, and one with very peculiar terms of membership.

Mark A. Baker

I'd be a bit surprised if the Sea Org could get nailed for fake uniforms just for the officers' stripes. ...

They can't. They aren't even 'fake uniforms'. The uniforms are real and and have their own unique insignia. They clearly are not the same as those of any government's uniformed services, hence no laws are being violated. Might as well prosecute the Boy Scouts for passing themselves off as the u.s. army.

The question of falsely claiming the award of legitimate service medals though is a completely different matter. That is a violation of u.s. law, although one rarely prosecuted.

Mark A. Baker

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Your comment is a bit ambiguous as written.

A naval Captain is not a one star admiral. Admirals are flag officers, Individuals with the rank of Captain are not. Ships carrying flag officers fly an ensign (flag) with the a number of stars appropriate for the rating of the officer, hence the term 'flag officer'. The appropriate insignia for a Captain is a gold colored Eagle (in the u.s.) and he wears four stripes on his sleeve.

My apologies for being unclear. It becomes more clear as you read the article at the link

What I said was

Commodore in WW2 was a Navy rank just above Captain (a one-star admiral), and at various other times was a title given to a senior Captain who commanded a small group of ships. So Captain is the highest Davey can be if he's unwilling to proclaim himself at a rank equal or higher than Commodore.

What I meant was that the term "Commodore" meant different things at different times in US Navy history, and represented different ranks at different times in Navy history. See the link for details.

In short summary, the set of senior Naval ranks are Captain (military pay grade O-6, same as Army colonel), Rear Admiral Lower Half (military pay grade O-7, alias one-star admiral), Read Admiral Upper Half(O-8, two star admiral) up to full Admiral (O-10, four stars). Commodore at some times meant an O-6, at other times meant an O-7. Read the link for details.

Gus

Patron with Honors

Didn't the "Commodore" promote himself to "Admiral" after he croaked (at the same time he promoted whosis to loyal officer)?

Regardless, I doubt even Mr. David Miscavige, aka Little Hitler, has that much hubris.

Gus

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
I don't fully understand Navy rank, except that a Captain is the same as a Colonel in the other branches of the US military. That would be O-6, just below
general officers. In the USMC that would be Brigadier Gen, Major Gen, Lieutenant Gen, and General. Rear Admiral is the same as Brigadier, that's about all I know bout them fishermen.

As far as Davie's uniform there, the jackass has the VietNam ribbon. Idiot was in diapers then I would posit. There are others such as the Air Force good conduct ribbon and I am probably wrong but the last looks a little like the War on Terrorism Expeditionary ribbon. In any case he is a complete jackass because the very first ribbon anyone recieves is the National Defense ribbon and it is not present.
And I will guarantee all those ribbons are mixed up in regard to chronological order as they are supposed to be. And more, they are from more than one branch of service. I call them all ribbons because that is what they are. If worn on full dress uniform, they are medals and sometimes look like chocolate candies.

Very respectfully, (hahaha)

Winston Smith
Ministry of Truth
GySgt USMC (Ret)

PS and no officer would be caught dead with a hand in a pocket in a photo. On top of that, for such a portrait as that, the officer would have his cover on. (that's hat for you civilians)

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
I am totally exhausted. I took it upon myself to identify the crap DM has on his lapel, and it is not encouraging.

The last medal on the lower right of the mess is indeed the Global War on Terrorism Civilian Service award.
To the left of that is the Republic of VietNam National Order 5th Class. Next to that is the World War I Occupation Medal. The last two should indicate something. The others were either foreign or such bad pixelation that I could not figure them out. I checked Army, Air Force, Navy and USMC medals, then gave up. Maybe the others are Coast guard, who knows.

All I know is he did not fight in WW I

Winnie

DartSmohen

Silver Meritorious Patron
I suppose it is the old adage that the two things a person craves are status and identity.

A couple of points;

1. Those who were in the REAL Sea Org (up to early 1969) would not even consider wearing such phony embellishments. The only award which meant anything was the proposed insignia (never actually issued) for the "Sahara Campaign". Those who were in Las Palmas on the Sea Project will know what this means.

2. In the early Sea Org we had a member, John Harvey, who won a very high medal in the navy, the Distinguished Service Cross, as an Observation Officer in the Korean war. When the phony SO "ribbons & medals" were introduced he, quite rightly, wore his military ribbons. He was told to take them off because they were "off-policy" and not earned for missions or other internal awards.

When the SO ribbons first came out there was a lot of derision as several of the colours and styles were actual military decorations and it was against the law to falsely wear decorations one had not been awarded.

The only exception is when the spouse of a deceased military person may wear them when attending a remembrance ceremony or parade.

We used to laugh at the young kids from the CMO who came on missions. They had more ribbons, medals and other "bling" than any African tin-pot dictator. Idi Amin would have been envious of the display.

Dart