What's new

Young girl imprisoned, beaten and abused in Sea Org Headquarter, Dundas, Australia

supafreak

Patron Meritorious
Re: Lisa McPherson...Taiwan style....the church is at it again...

Jesus Christ, look at how fucked up their lawyer looks. All that money, and that's the best they could find?

The Australian arm of the cult has been starved of income in the last five years. That's why they could only afford Lionel Hutz's real-life counterpart.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

This is just so sad and outrageous. :bigcry::angry: Wherever the cult practices, tragedy is sure to be created by it. :angry: The coercion that was denied and unlawful detainment is practiced all around the world from the Freewinds on the high seas, to Australia and the USA, Europe and god only knows where else.
I can only imagine what Ms Wu her family going through. I wish them the best recovery possible.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Re: Young girl imprisoned, beaten and abused in Sea Org Headquarter, Dundas, Australi

It gives a whole new meaning to "Go ask Alice" doesn't it?

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Re: Young girl imprisoned, beaten and abused in Sea Org Headquarter, Dundas, Australi

What gets me, and seems to being overlooked, is that she looked perfectly healthy and happy before she went to Sydney. Why isn't anyone pushing for what really happened there to cause the mental breakdown? We exes know the likely scenario, and it can be enough to trigger great mental distress. She was not like that before! If she wanted to leave, cracked it and was put on the Introspection Rundown this fact needs to be repeated and repeated. It's not about someone with mental health problems not being looked after - it's about causing the mental health problems in the first place!

I can't believe that this "statement" she gave is not being fully questioned - those words are not hers, and scientology seems to expect that they will "handle" the situation. Bastards.

And where is Virginia?????

I don't think I have ever seen a lawyer as a spokesman in Australia, and a terrible job he did of it too. If he has half a brain he will be as shocked as anyone at the blatant lying that left him looking like a total tool.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: "Church of Scientology Accused of Holding a Hostage" ( Lateline 2-25-13 )

I wonder, can a lawyer sue his/her client for intentionally defrauding him/her?

68f26e2e646b709901ff311d4a649fcd.jpg

Yep . . . *that* Stuart Gibson. Looks like he needs to be brought up to speed about his current client. He could, of course, ask another of his clients - Nicole Kidman - for her opinion. Either way, this spokeshole needs some inoculation. Quick.

EDIT: It just struck me . . . this could actually turn out to be a classic footbullet. Scientology has just made a leading celebrities' lawyer make a total dick of himself, in public. Mr Gibson, I venture, will be far from pleased when he finds out. Also, if I was a Scientologist in Australia, I might ask how come there's no money for Clearing the planet, but heaps to pay a lawyer to lie?

<sigh> Or maybe they've already been regged for the coming "onslaught" as the desperate SPs fight the hardest when victory over Xenu draws ever closer.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

Jesus Christ, look at how fucked up their lawyer looks. All that money, and that's the best they could find?

Lol! I couldn't believe it either ... he "categorically denied the use of isolation" ... even though there's a hubbard policy clearly stating that it is to be used and the person is not to be spoken to or spoken within earshot of (and they showed the policy).

According to the terrified, twitchy, lawyer the girl was merely in a "sick room" ... I expect he thought she was having a nice, quiet little lie down (lol, the quiet bit was correct).

Hey lawyer ... its called "baby watch" and the only thing it's meant to protect or assist ... is the cult.

They really don't like Lisa Mcpherson's name being remembered do they?

Purple Rain

Crusader

What gets me, and seems to being overlooked, is that she looked perfectly healthy and happy before she went to Sydney. Why isn't anyone pushing for what really happened there to cause the mental breakdown? We exes know the likely scenario, and it can be enough to trigger great mental distress. She was not like that before! If she wanted to leave, cracked it and was put on the Introspection Rundown this fact needs to be repeated and repeated. It's not about someone with mental health problems not being looked after - it's about causing the mental health problems in the first place!

I can't believe that this "statement" she gave is not being fully questioned - those words are not hers, and scientology seems to expect that they will "handle" the situation. Bastards.

And where is Virginia?????

I don't think I have ever seen a lawyer as a spokesman in Australia, and a terrible job he did of it too. If he has half a brain he will be as shocked as anyone at the blatant lying that left him looking like a total tool.

Exactly. Any ex knows more about that situation than any "wog" lawyer possibly could. They made him look like a complete patsy. The sick bay still has me rofling - never seen one of those in a Scientology org - ever!! They had trouble even finding a place for you to lie down if you needed to get sessionable. In a place where the category of sick or not sick is "can we see breath on a mirror?" it's not surprising they don't have sick bays for their minions to go slacking off in. And why would the "sick bay" be at Dundas? And who sends a person having a mental breakdown to "sick bay"?? Rofl!!

I would suspect either the sec checking fucked with her head à la Nancy Many, or she simply couldn't tolerate the abuse and degradation of the RPF or she was locked up because she wanted to leave and the trauma of the imprisonment itself caused her to crack.

So, yeah, what a pack of mongrels! And then to further abuse her by fraudulently obtaining a statement from a mentally incapacitated person is disgusting and shows what scuzzbags they truly are. There are no depths too low to stoop to in the Office of Special Affairs. Like the Borg, there's not a hell of a lot of humanity left in those evil zombies.

Last edited:

ccas

Patron

sA very disgusting "translation" of the ABC story appeared on ABC Radio Australia website (or is it?)
http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/chinese/2013-02-26/%E6%BE%B3%E5%B1%B1%E8%BE%BE%E5%9F%BA%E6%95%99%E4%BC%9A%E5%8F%8D%E9%A9%B3%E6%BE%B3%E5%B9%BF%E6%9C%89%E5%85%B3%E5%85%B6%E9%9D%9E%E6%B3%95%E6%8B%98%E6%8A%BC%E7%9A%84%E6%8A%A5%E9%81%93/1093610

Here is the machine translation (with some editing) back to English.

Australian Church of Scientology refute Australia wide coverage about their illegal detention
Update 26 February 2013, 9:46 AEST

The Church of Scientology in Australia to refute the report broadcast by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation last night, said the story has long been part of the campaign to " hunt and destroy" an evil cult.

In March 2012, Alice Wu was hospitalised after she punched a window at the Church of Scientology's headquarters in Dundas, in Sydney's west. The Church of Scientology denies she was being kept in isolation.
Australian Church of Scientology denies the Taiwan woman had illegal detention.

Church of Scientology in Australia last night's evening news program of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation alleged illegal detention of a mental breakdown Taiwanese woman against their will.

Wu's family said, in March last year, she has been the Church isolation, and later was sent to the hospital for treatment of hand cuts smashed a window of the church's Sydney headquarters.

Alice Wu sent an e-mail to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, denied that she had been held against her will, denied having received abuse.

Church of Scientology lawyer Gibson also denied the church her ​​mandatory detention, or any thing contrary to her wishes.

Gibson said Alice Wu is voluntarily arrived at Das church headquarters, and she can be at any time free to leave when Das.

I have emailed Steve.

通讯地址 contact address
Radio Australia
GPO Box 428, Melbourne
Australia 3001
电话 phone number
海外用户请拨打: International number
+61 3 9626 1500
澳大利亚国内用户请拨打: within Australia
03 9626 1500
传真 Fax
海外用户请拨打:
+61 3 9626 1899 International
澳大利亚国内用户请拨打:
03 9626 1899 Domestic

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

This is what happened. My sister Alisa joined a religion — Scientology. She went to Australia using religious reasons. Three months later, my sister called home. She told us that she was imprisoned, beaten and abused in a Scientology base. She needed us there to rescue her.

This "beating" has bugged me from the beginning about this story. I'm not trying to minimise what happened. It is very real to me that this staff member encountered horrific conditions on staff, had some kind of breakdown, was imprisoned in some babywatch isolation environment, and suffered severe physical injury punching through a glass window to try to escape, for which injury she was hospitalized.

I could never think with being beaten as a part of that. It just didn't ring true, although physical restraint did.

Has there ever been any amplification of this part?

Paul

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

Exactly. Any ex knows more about that situation than any "wog" lawyer possibly could. They made him look like a complete patsy. The sick bay still has me rofling - never seen one of those in a Scientology org - ever!! They had trouble even finding a place for you to lie down if you needed to get sessionable. In a place where the category of sick or not sick is "can we see breath on a mirror?" it's not surprising they don't have sick bays for their minions to go slacking off in. And why would the "sick bay" be at Dundas? And who sends a person having a mental breakdown to "sick bay"?? Rofl!!

I would suspect either the sec checking fucked with her head à la Nancy Many, or she simply couldn't tolerate the abuse and degradation of the RPF or she was locked up because she wanted to leave and the trauma of the imprisonment itself caused her to crack.

So, yeah, what a pack of mongrels! And then to further abuse her by fraudulently obtaining a statement from a mentally incapacitated person is disgusting and shows what scuzzbags they truly are. There are no depths too low to stoop to in the Office of Special Affairs. Like the Borg, there's not a hell of a lot of humanity left in those evil zombies.

Lol ... I think we knew the 'sick bay' by it's other name (the ethics office) ...

:whistling:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

Lol ... I think we knew the 'sick bay' by it's other name (the ethics office) ...

:whistling:

I recall a sick bay at PAC, although I never spent any time in there. Other ex-PACcies would know of it. Basically just a scummy dorm room (one for men and one for women) with bunk beds where sickies got dumped without much help except food if they were lucky to recover as best they could.

Paul

Purple Rain

Crusader

This "beating" has bugged me from the beginning about this story. I'm not trying to minimise what happened. It is very real to me that this staff member encountered horrific conditions on staff, had some kind of breakdown, was imprisoned in some babywatch isolation environment, and suffered severe physical injury punching through a glass window to try to escape, for which injury she was hospitalized.

I could never think with being beaten as a part of that. It just didn't ring true, although physical restraint did.

Has there ever been any amplification of this part?

Paul

It's no less believable in Australia than America, although that wasn't part of the culture when I was there. They just used verbal abuse on me. I believe it, though.

They must feel like they are well and truly above the law at this stage. They can do what they want with impunity.

The only arm of government standing up to them is the Australian parliament. The executive have been been piss weak and pathetic - see Fair Work Ombudsman, police and any other regulatory bodies charged with the oversight of these issues. I witnessed somebody assaulted at a protest, and the police wouldn't even take my statement. And the guy was punched in the head right OVER MY SHOULDER!! Then it was all caught on videotape from several different cameras and the judge LET HIM OFF. So yeah, the courts are shite and the executive is shite. Scientology still seem to have their "area control" in on those arms of government.

Thank goodness for the politicians, especially Xen, the reporters like Steve and previously Brian, and the new anti-slavery laws which if passed will give the police more "teeth" in those matters.

ccas

Patron

ABC Radio Australia, boss of the Chinese section is not available at the moment. Cannot talk to or have the name of the responsible. Will call later.

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter

Important information from WWP:

https://whyweprotest.net/community/...mentally-ill-young-woman.109340/#post-2278768
Yes - and we are working on getting the Taiwan Embassy (in Taiwan) and Taiwan media to air this.

It's a horrible story. It really happened. Alice went from normal, ambitious college student working part-time in a library to seriously mentally ill after only 3 months in the Sea Org here in Sydney. Her life is ruined.

I am SO glad this story finally made it. Steve Cannene did a tremendous job. He had to cut me and Kooka's interviews, but the bonus was - he has the family interviews, which were far more needed.

I visited Alice for about two weeks in the first hospital, and less than a week in the second (by then her brother was there, and the doctor was only allowing him to visit).

Yes, she was diagnosed with a serious mental illness. She had good days and bad days when she was first admitted to the hospital. Some days she spoke and understood simple written English very well. Other days it was as if she was in her own world and all I could do was hold her hand and be her friend.

However, she went downhill rapidly and became much worse by the time she was released to family and has not improved since. From the look of it, she's only gotten progressively worse.

Back then, when she still had days she was sharp, Alice stated directly to me, her brother and Kooka that she wanted to go to the police and report what the Church of Scientology did to her. Alice did report this to the AFP while she was in Australia. She is - for all intents and purposes - an ex who has spoken out.

On one of the days she was sharp, I printed out Phil de Fontenay's statement of why he left the Church of Scientology and she read it and wanted to know more. She didn't stay sharp, however.

Alice gets confused at times. She is not mentally stable (as her father says). She is in no position to sign any sort of legal documentation and hasn't been since her escape from Dundas. I was angry and shocked at how low the Church of Scientology would go - kidnapping (IMO) a seriously mentally ill person and coercing her to sign a statement? When she was less ill, she and her brother wanted to prosecute.

Poor Alice. Her life is ruined, her family must bear the burden of her care now for the rest of her life. I hope they sue COS for millions.

How does that saying go - you become what you resist? Funny - the Church of Scientology has become the Psychiatry of the 50's and 60's, locking up and abusing the mentally ill and even coercing them as if they have no rights. Like Lisa.

I hope Alice gets better some day. It isn't likely, but I can still hope. Seeing her and visiting her and knowing her family and the tragedy COS brought upon them all just gutted me.

Thanks to Steve Cannene for running the story, Grainne (who assisted each of us daily with advices and even clothing for Alice when she was in the hospital and didn't even have her things back from COS yet) and Kooka for all their help (Kooka put up Alice and her brother for weeks), to Paul (Scooter) and Karen De la Carriere and all the others who helped supply references, translators, testimonies and support so this story could get told.

https://whyweprotest.net/community/...ly-ill-young-woman.109340/page-2#post-2278782

You're welcome, Anon. You would have done the same thing. It tore me apart since the day I first heard about it and met her. If it weren't for Grainne, Sen Xenophon and the wonderful staff at the first hospital, poor Alice wouldn't even have had a visitor (except COS monkeys, who had already been drilling her on what she should and shouldn't say). I am Australian certified as a carer, which is why I was approved.

She socialized in the first hospital, btw, and made friends with some of the other residents there. Not having insurance, though, she could not stay there long and was transferred. I don't have any compliments for the second hospital but cannot comment further.

I remember going through fashion magazines with Alice and she pointed out what she liked and didn't like (that was one of her good days). At Easter last year, I brought her a big bunny and she hugged it and was so happy (Grainne donated money personally). She was just an innocent girl - owned lots of stuffed animals (a current Asian craze for university student girls, not just children). When her brother arrived, they would hold hands for hours and she would cry and tell him horrors of what happened to her. He visited her every day, and every day she would ask if she could leave now.

One day she was exceptionally sharp and told me every detail of her courses, the people she was on the EPF with, her work, the people she trained with and even hand-wrote some of their names in Taiwanese (because I couldn't pronounce them). But she was never quite clear on the 3 weeks or so she was in isolation and then escaped. She stated she had been bashed on the back of the head and woke up in iso. COS never sent her to a doctor to check out the head injury and to my knowledge, it still hasn't been done. So much for Scientology's "non-medical" approach.

I still have that document where she wrote the names. That day she wanted to go to the police, to sue, to tell the authorities everything.

After her release, she couldn't even be trusted to boil water.

God, this tragedy still makes me cry.

https://whyweprotest.net/community/...ly-ill-young-woman.109340/page-2#post-2278794

On the BACK of the head, according to Alice. She told the Scns that at the time, too. She never knew who did it. By the time she arrived to the first hospital weeks later, there were no obvious signs of impact to her head, so no proof.

COS Australia discounted her story as fabricated due to her mental illness. Funny that on the one hand, they can say her statements don't matter, but on the other hand, they thought she was perfectly well mentally to be taken off the street by two of their goons to sign a prepared legal statement. Alice doesn't talk or write anything like that.

And yeh, I saved all of the dox of her statements, names, etc. in a safe place away from home.

https://whyweprotest.net/community/...ly-ill-young-woman.109340/page-2#post-2278801

Alice was on an electronic visitor (tourist) visa, btw. Work is not allowed on that sort of visa.

All those recruited from Taiwan by "Tina" around that time period were on visitor visas. Didn't stop COS from putting them straight to work for long hours after signing billion year contracts, though.

I saw her passport and her brother verified this personally with the Taiwan embassy (Sydney) while I was with both of them.

https://whyweprotest.net/community/...ly-ill-young-woman.109340/page-2#post-2278822

Alice's brother had to arrange for the Taiwan Embassy Sydney to order the passport returned. The embassy was very helpful and brought the passport to the brother personally, but this did not happen until Alice had already been hospitalized for weeks and was already in the 2nd hospital. The Taiwan embassy rep even went to visit Alice personally in the hospital (in pouring rain!) - very compassionate man.

So the first hospital had some legitimate concerns about Alice's immigration/visitor/visa status in Australia, but could not get much done because she had no immediate family member in Australia (yet). Her brother arrived the day she was transferred.
frown.png
(As a note, one hospital staff member assumed Alice was an illegal immigrant, but then after seeing the quality of her suitcase and the documentation within it (provided a few days after Alice's arrival there), saw that she was quite middle class.)

An Australian OSA rep arrived at the first hospital very shortly after Alice got there by ambulance. He had another man with him (identity unknown to us). Hospital has camera footage of the Scientologists - at the time, they were claiming Alice "attempted suicide" and Alice stated she was told to say this. She was also told to say she was "reaching for the stars". At first the OSA rep was trying to deny Alice living at Dundas, but this was easily disproven by the documentation left in her luggage that was in Taiwanese. Apparently the person who pulled EVERY Scn book and note about Scn out of her suitcase could not read Taiwanese and missed a few vital dox in her wallet. I saw them. We have them. Another footbullet - and one doc named her recruiter. Alice described how she was told to say the Taiwanese woman who recruited her (Tina) was her mother and the Scientologists were her brothers and sisters. Alice's mother died when she was a child.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

I recall a sick bay at PAC, although I never spent any time in there. Other ex-PACcies would know of it. Basically just a scummy dorm room (one for men and one for women) with bunk beds where sickies got dumped without much help except food if they were lucky to recover as best they could.

Paul

I recall the MLO (medical liaison officer) post too, it was based in qual but I always felt it was a PR post at best because she only 'liaised' with cult approved medics ... Lisa Mcpherson was (eventually) sent to a cult approved hospital doctor as we know and she died en-route.

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron

What an abomination. The Scientologists' attorney cannot but have known about his clients' Lisa Clause. He lied.
I have no reason to believe he knows either of Lisa McPherson or the Lisa Clause. I don't know that he has any background in Scientology.