What's new

In and out, how did it happened.

Maria

Patron
I was born and raised Catholic. Even though my parent weren’tstrict followers, they lived by the morals and values of the Catholic faith,and stilled those values in me. I had manydisagreements with the Church and always felt that there was something else. I also volunteered a lot during my teens and young adult life. Then I was introduced to dianetics. A very good friend of my ex-husband sent us the book as a special gift with a note that said something along the lines that the book helped her stretched her wings and wanted us to have a similar experience. Being a rabid reader, I read the book cover to cover. And somehow the book explained a lot of questions I had about my life and life in general. I was living in the far country side; my ex-husband knew the owner of a mission in the capital so when we went there, I was off to the mission to learn more.

The fact that was a religion kind of put me off but I liked DMSMH and was curious. Some years later ,I was staying with the friend that sent us the book who was living close to where my ex-husband was working. There was someone from the Freewinds there working on starting a mission. She was very sweet and nice and I bought the integrity course. I had wild wins there, not that I had many O/W but I realized that many things in my life were my responsibility and I loved the code of honor. That course blew alot of charge I had with my mom and it totally fixed out relationship. And I was sold.

When we finally moved back to the city, I went straight to the org and felt home! Right then, the owners of the mission were moving and wanted me to join staff… which I did. I had only done some life improvement courses and life was happy. I was the Purif I/C there. I did some more basic courses and at the sametime I was doing some book one auditing but weren’t having wins. My class sup did an interview with me and Irealized that I was clear! It was an informal interview, after all these is a third world country… I was VGI’s and we left it at that. Life kept moving, I was ‘on staff’ and doing well. I remember once I had a disagreement with the behavior of someone at the org and I talked about it with the mission’s auditor. And she told me what kept me glued to scientology for many years after that. She said to always remember that the tech works if the right tech is applied in the right way, that we all are only human and we all make mistakes, to never let that fact make me doubt about the tech. For what I had seen up to that moment, that rang pretty true and up until very recently I held that as my stable datum.

My ex-husband weren’t involved, but he liked what I shared with him. His life was very busy at that time but he participated in certain events and supported me being on staff.

One day I was called to the org for a meeting. There it was a recruiting mission from the Freewinds. When it was my turn she found my ruin pretty easily, I was having a hard time with my husband. She showed me the contract and said that everything would be solved if I joined! I didn’t buy that up and told her that I couldn’t sign without my husband, even if we were having problems. She said it was fine, and to have him come to talk to her and she will help us with ourproblems. Naïve me, I thought she was actually thinking on helping me with my problems with him, not on helping me on my problems to join!

But any way, I told my husband and we went to the org the next day I think. He met with this person in private and I was expecting him coming out all loving but when I was call in, I was presented with his contract all nicely signed and a blank contractfor me to sign! I asked about the billion years thing, and whatever was said to me I interpreted as being symbolic and that it was a regular 2 ½ or 5 year contract. Naïve much? Yes, I signed. We were promised training in the States and then work at the ship. We were asked when could we start and we said in two months, we needed the religious visas, sell/pack our apartment and say bye to friends and family. They said it was good and we left exited of the change that was coming.

Someone from the Freewinds (Leigh?) started calling daily to see our progress, I thought it was nuts but whatever. They wanted me to go immediately to CLO EUS since I already had a tourist visa and they would do the switch once here. I said no, I’ll go when I had the correct visa and in two months as I said at the beginning. I hated the pressure, but I never talked to her, all communication was through my husband. Once we got our religious visas, they starting pressuring again to go immediately. I held my ground and didn’t understand the pressure, but my husband believed them and left a week earlier. I hated him and them for that. A lot of things happened during that week with me. I arrived the next week to Newark, and he was waiting for me. We took the bus to Union Station and learned of the EPF and that we couldn’t sleep together. The not sleeping together didn’t go pretty well for me. I had an out of 2d that week that I was alone and was really looking forward to sharing the bed with my husband again. Nice welcome to the sea org…

TG1

Angelic Poster
Hi, Maria. Welcome to ESMB.

I think I've read your comments for some time on Geir's site and, lately, at Marty's.

If you're that Maria, then I think you're a smart lady.

TG1

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
A warm and hearty WELCOME Maria - love your story - tell us more when you feel like it...it helps so much to everyone here and those lurking!!

:party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party::party:

Rapt Reader

Patron
Oh, Maria...what a story you have told already :yes: I truly am looking forward to hearing more...when you get to that point, I'll be reading with full attention :) Sounds like they hoodwinked the 2 of you and betrayed you right away... I'm so sorry that your idealism was squashed like that! Looking forward to hearing the rest of your story...:yes:

Maria

Patron
Thank you for the encouragement to write. I didn’t go thorough much pain as some others did, but I totally ignored my gut, and I feel ashamed for that. It’s not easy for me to open up, but with the little I have written, I have found out that it is healing.

Hi, Maria. Welcome to ESMB.

I think I've read your comments for some time on Geir's site and, lately, at Marty's.

If you're that Maria, then I think you're a smart lady.

TG1

Thank you TG1 for your kind words but that’s another Maria, probably smarted :)

The next time period is very confusing and I really don't remember much, just bits and pieces here and there. I'll try to put something together though.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh, Maria, can't hardly wait. :drama: It's OK - do it in your own time. You can work out so much, just by writing it, sharing. You may find a new understanding, or that we can help you, even if you don't understand it. :hug: :console: So many have been through similar. And really, yours is traumatic too, or you'd have figured it out long ago.

Good post.

Maria

Patron
The next two months are a blur. I don’t really remember any linear time. I’ve read here that you are asked for your passport when you arrive; I don’t remember they asking for my passport, and if they did, I know I didn’t give it to them. I probably looked at them with a stupid face not knowing why they were asking for it and ignore them.

I was placed in a room with I think 6 other women, given a bunk bed and a drawer in a dresser and my EPF started. It wasn’t too bad, I now guess it was because my husband was the EPF I/C, so I probably had some privileges others didn’t. We didn’t have much free time, between getting up and getting ready downstairs for muster, after breakfast we needed to clean the galley and the rest of the morning was mest work. We learned to steal time form the chores to be together, and I learned pretty soon that smokers had breaks, so I soon started to smoke. Afternoon was study time, then dinner and cleaning the galley again and off to bed. I was sleepy and tired all the time.

Every time my husband was stent outside the building to do something, I went with him. We went to the org on a regular basis and a couple of times to CC. Every time I could, I would go to the hotel next door and pay the internet machine to check my emails; that was my only way of communicating with my family and my way of staying sane.

I remember clearly one day going with my husband (who was the driver), the head of OSA, a HCO girl (18 y/o if that) and myself to the shredde rplace to get rid of a small truck full of documents. On our way back an accident just occurred ahead of us and when we got there, there where were bodies, cars and car pieces all over the place. My husband being a doctor asked if we shoul dstop and help. They said no, to just keep going. I was sitting right at his side and told him to stop, that we couldn’t leave them there and not try to help, so he stopped. He and I went on to help the people until the emergency cars arrived. OSA and HCO ladies just stayed by the truck and didn’t do a thing. That was a total shock for us. We commented how disconnected from reality SO were and how sad it was.

I felt all the time that I was totally out of place, people were just weird to me, but I just assumed it was the cultural differences and the shock of that, I tried to ignore them or just play stupid, which wasn’t too hard since I didn’t understood much of what was said to me. There was not telling me I couldn’t go outside, or we couldn’t take our half day off. If there was a different order, even if I understood it, I just ignored it and did my think. Fortunately my study stats were always good and my husband had charmed half the staff. Not sleeping together was weird, especially after what happened before I left my country; I was in a rush to finish and start sharing my bed with him. That out of 2d came out and was “handled” by the end of the courses when we were getting ready to graduate. Then one day I was called to a very nice office by some “nice” ethics girl and was told that apparently my husband wasn’t qualified to be a SO and that I needed to get a divorce to continue with the SO.
The reason he wasn’t qualified is because a psychiatry hospitalization he had right before we married. That was in the application and in the life story that you fill with you sign the SO contract. He never hid that from them, they knew all along he had that on his past and still was pushed to come earlier leaving me behind! It was their mistake they "just" found out he wasn’t qualified ,not his. I told her I was not divorcing him. She said that they were still investigating and that they would give us an answer soon. A couple of days pass, maybe a week of this waiting when I was called again to be told that he needed to leave and I needed a divorce, I told them I was not divorcing him for their mistakes. At around 5pm we were told we needed to leave the premises that same night. It was a week before thanksgiving. On our way down the stairs, we ran into the OSA lady (she was always very nice to us) and asked what was going on. We told her and she said not to worry, that she would find a place for us to stay at least that night and would help us to solve our situation; to go and have dinner and come back at 7pm. So we did. We weren’t allowed inside the building by ourselves anymore; I felt like a criminal. When we came back she gave us an address and some instructions to where to go to get in a train and where to get down and that someone would be waiting for us. I think it was around 11pm when we arrive to our destination with all our possessions in 2 suitcases. A guy was waiting for us; he took us to his home where he introduced us to his family and some friend that were staying over. This family was god sent. They gave us a room and a place to stay while we figured it out what to do with our lives.

I can’t thank enough my guardian angel for working so hard to protect me form hell. He has always done a great job, but with this he was a star. Even though I’m supposedly a SO, I never graduated and they never were able to drag me back, or charge me for anything. That didn't saved me for staff...

Rapt Reader

Patron

I can’t thank enough my guardian angel for working so hard to protect me form hell. He has always done a great job, but with this he was a star. Even though I’m supposedly a SO, I never graduated and they never were able to drag me back, or charge me for anything. That didn't saved me for staff...

Wow, Maria! That is quite a story, and boy~~what a waste of good people! You and your husband sound like good-hearted, spiritual, loving, compassionate people...too good for the likes of an organization that takes people like you guys and spits them out! So glad you made it out safely, and that your Guardian Angel had your back :wink2: Thanks for your story (or is there more? If so, I'm all ears :yes:)

Loohan

Am I Mettaya?
What amazes me is how easily your husband was controlled by them. One minute he's a "wog", and the next minute he signs a billion year contract.
Maybe there is something to all these hypnosis theories.

Gib

Crusader
Wow, Maria!
That is quite a story, and boy~~what a waste of good people!
You and your husband sound like good-hearted, spiritual, loving, compassionate people...too good for the likes of an organization that takes people like you guys and spits them out! So glad you made it out safely, and that your Guardian Angel had your back :wink2: Thanks for your story (or is there more? If so, I'm all ears :yes:)

not from the church's POV. Got free labor for a few weeks. But their shore story is "not qualified" :hysterical:

But the hubbard makes it sound so important we need "qualified" peeps. :laugh:

I do agree agree with what you wrote RR, and thanks Maria.

Maria

Patron
What amazes me is how easily your husband was controlled by them. One minute he's a "wog", and the next minute he signs a billion year contract.
Maybe there is something to all these hypnosis theories.

Playing with your eternity will do that to you… they know how to push your buttons :no:

Maria

Patron
Wow, Maria! That is quite a story, and boy~~what a waste of good people! You and your husband sound like good-hearted, spiritual, loving, compassionate people...too good for the likes of an organization that takes people like you guys and spits them out! So glad you made it out safely, and that your Guardian Angel had your back :wink2: Thanks for your story (or is there more? If so, I'm all ears :yes:)

Thank you for your interest. This is getting harder... I was so oblivious to so many things that were going on in front of me that it’s getting hard to confront.
After that I was staff for 3 years, I can’t believe it. :sad:

Last edited:

Moosejewels

Patron Meritorious
Thank you for your interest. This is getting harder... I was so oblivious to so many things that were going on in front of me that it’s getting hard to confront.
After that I was staff for 3 years, I can’t believe it. :sad:

Hey Maria, I certainly can't beleive all the crap I put up with and things I refused to see all those many years (not that many actually) while under the influence of the koolaide. Telling your story seems to be helping you. :thumbsup:

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thank you for the encouragement to write. I didn’t go thorough much pain as some others did, but I totally ignored my gut, and I feel ashamed for that. It’s not easy for me to open up, but with the little I have written, I have found out that it is healing.

Thank you TG1 for your kind words but that’s another Maria, probably smarted :)

The next time period is very confusing and I really don't remember much, just bits and pieces here and there. I'll try to put something together though.

You go girl! With you all the way when you are ready to tell your story.

The shame we feel deep inside, for ignoring our own instincts, our core values and so forth, is best treated with love and kindness and set free. Telling our stories is one powerful way of doing this.

It heals us, it helps us cry our tears in an honest healthy way. :flowers:

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
Welcome here, Maria!
:welcome2:

I am glad you are telling your story. I'd love to know how you found this board or what led you to it, and, of course, more of your story.
And how are you and your husband now? Are you both ok?

Glad you're here. :yes:

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thank you, Maria. Keep telling. Staff for 3 more years - must be lots to tell there. And what about your husband? Where did you both go/stay for those 3 years? And what got you out? Did you and your husband come to that at same time, or seperately? Where did you end up - did you go back home? Thank God you kept your passport. What about your husband - had he given his up? I can imagine how betrayed he must have felt to be 'unqualified' for SO after all that. Thank God for that stupid co$/scno evaluation too - consider what might have happened if you'd both stayed in SO - we might not be talking with you today, and I'd guess you'd be divorced too.

:sadsigh: for all those still in co$/scno/so. And :happydance: for you and husband. I have that right, don't I? You and husband still together - and both out - right?:unsure:

:thumbsup: :bighug:

Maria

Patron
Sorry for the absence, I was planning a reply with some more of my story when tragedy hit my family really hard.

I just lost my only sibling. I’m getting ready to go visit my parents. My priorities just changed and are not any more about me or scientology, it’s about family and love and life.

I’ll be gone for a while, I may lurk or not, but I’ll come back.