What's new

The Saga of David Mayo: Scientology’s Banished Tech Wizard

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
This has just been published by Tony Ortega, chatting to Jon Atack
Full article: http://tonyortega.org/2013/04/13/the-saga-of-david-mayo-scientologys-banished-tech-wizard/

The Saga of David Mayo: Scientology’s Banished Tech Wizard
JON: Scientology issued two bizarre documents about Mayo — a Suppressive Person Declare and a newsletter called “The Story of a Squirrel.” This last is barely literate, but claims to quote from Hubbard, who says: “Mayo was simply a bird dog. The definition of a bird dog is: ‘Somebody sent in by an enemy to mess things up’.” Hubbard goes on to say: “…you had a bird dog right in the middle of the control room: David Mayo. He was sabotaging execs by wrecking their cases. None of this was by accident or incompetence. Of all the crazy, cock-eyed sabotage I’ve ever seen, man, he was at it …” The effect of these publications ran counter to the new leadership’s intentions — many members simply decided that Hubbard could not have missed such a devastating SP for so many years, and this fed the rumor that Hubbard was no longer in control and caused many (myself included) to leave the cult.

THE BUNKER: It sounds like Mayo was part of neither the old guard or the new, and getting caught in the middle turned him into a target.

JON:
There was no way that Miscavige could compete with Mayo’s influence. Neither Pat Broeker nor Miscavige were known to Scientologists. Mayo had been made a hero, even appearing in one of Hubbard’s dreadful “tech films” where he actually warned that if he became unavailable it would mean that Scientology had been taken over by malign elements. Hubbard approved that script.

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
Great stuff! Thanks for the link.

Mayo added a great deal of credence to Scientology. He knows a lot. I wish he'd write a book.

David??!!?? We're waiting.

To quote the movie, "Real Genius", it's a "moral imperative".

TG1

Angelic Poster
I absolutely agree that a book by David Mayo (perhaps with a ghostwriter, if he doesn't have the time or energy to write it himself) would be a wonderful contribution. Or, if not a book, then a significant statement about how he views the scene all these years later in 2013.

His statement on the subject would surely straighten out Steve Hall and some other Johnny-come-lately iScientologists who think they've recently discovered "Mayo, the Hubbard Defender." :duh:

However, I have long understood that David cannot speak freely about Scientology because of settlement agreements he made with the Church of Scientology. He's pretty muzzled when he posts here.

I have no idea about the terms of any such agreement, but would love it if he could find a way to challenge the terms that keep him so quiet.

On the other hand, he may just be completely done with the anti-Scientology scene. Given what I've read about online regarding what he endured at the hands of the church, I would sure understand it if he were just done with the subject.

TG1

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

TG1

Angelic Poster
I just read Tony O's post about David Mayo and all the comments over there. The confusion about David's position on Scientology is massive. Some people over there think he's rejected only the OT levels, but not Dianetics and other things. Arrrgh!

Surely, there have got to be some ways for David to present his current ideas through third parties, whether attributed to him or not.

But, if that cannot be, I dearly wish he would write a clear, unequivocal statement of what he thinks about the Scientology / Hubbard scene he participated in to be published after his death.

TG1

I just read Tony O's post about David Mayo and all the comments over there. The confusion about David's position on Scientology is massive. Some people over there think he's rejected only the OT levels, but not Dianetics and other things. Arrrgh!

Surely, there have got to be some ways for David to present his current ideas through third parties, whether attributed to him or not.

But, if that cannot be, I dearly wish he would write a clear, unequivocal statement of what he thinks about the Scientology / Hubbard scene he participated in to be published after his death.

TG1

Although David has expressed in the past a willingness to do so he is unable to clarify his current views on such matters without incurring a considerable legal liability and risk to his family.

Mark A. Baker

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Although David has expressed in the past a willingness to do so he is unable to clarify his current views on such matters without incurring a considerable legal liability and risk to his family.

Personally, I'd love to hear what he has to say. :yes:

We can all petition the CoS and request that they release David from all legal liability and tear up any NDA's he may have signed. :coolwink:

Personally, I'd love to hear what he has to say. :yes:

We can all petition the CoS and request that they release David from all legal liability and tear up any NDA's he may have signed. :coolwink:

As would we all. Unfortunately I strongly suspect your suggestion would unlikely bear the result desired. :)

Given Rathbun's own culpability in the mistreatment of the Mayo's and others that would likely remain true even should Rathbun succeed in his attempts at initiating reform within the church. :eyeroll:

As my grandmother was fond of saying: if wishes were horses all beggars would ride.

For now it's enough that David & Julie may be allowed to live their lives in peace knowing the esteem in which their friends hold them.

Mark A. Baker

Last edited:
As would we all. Unfortunately I strongly suspect your suggestion would unlikely bear the result desired. :)

Given Rathbun's own culpability in the mistreatment of the Mayo's and others that would likely remain true even should Rathbun succeed in his attempts at initiating reform within the church. :whistling:

As my grandmother was fond of saying: if wishes were horses all beggars would ride.

For now it's enough that David & Julie may be allowed to live their lives in peace knowing the esteem in which their friends hold them.

Mark A. Baker

and if wishes were whores beggars couldn't afford them

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
UPDATE Re: The Saga of David Mayo: Scientology’s Banished Tech Wizard

David Mayo says hi! Say hi back! :)

2w5ivck.jpg

http://tonyortega.org/2013/04/13/the-saga-of-david-mayo-scientologys-banished-tech-wizard/#more-5915

Really good to see you David! :bighug:

I respect your signature:

"Religion is an insult to human dignity.
With or without it you would have
good people doing good things
and evil people doing evil things.
But for good people to do evil things,
that takes religion."

-–Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate in physics

Last edited:

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
What Sally says/sings. :artist: <3

Julie and David - it's so good to hear from you guys...
Even if it's all. It's already plenty.

Thank you! Warm hugs. :hug::rose:

Free Being Me

Crusader
David, I must confess I didn't know much of your story until reading the o.p. link. My heart goes out to you and yours, I greatly admire your strength and fortitude. Namaste, you have my eternal respect! Peace and Joy Be With You.

[video=youtube;O7h1IphPfeU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7h1IphPfeU[/video]

David Mayo

Patron with Honors

TG1

Rolling over and 'dying' on hot sand in the hot desert (100 - 130 F) while running around a tall pole painted red for 12 hours/day while being interrogated for hours each night (sleep deprivation), was apparently not enough! What more can a poor boy do?

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Going on what David went through, and also reading between the lines of what he DOESN'T say, I reckon it's a safe bet that David does not have a high opinion of Scientology, the tech or the management. My opinion of course.

Veda

Sponsor
Years ago, I heard something about a pole painted fire engine red, and that Hubbard had said that poles painted that color were used millions of years ago in implant stations to cave people in utterly, and that's what he wanted for Mayo.

In present time

Gold Meritorious Patron
Years ago, I heard something about a pole painted fire engine red, and that Hubbard had said that poles painted that color were used millions of years ago in implant stations to cave people in utterly, and that's what he wanted for Mayo.
i also heard the red and white barber shop poles were straight out of an implant:omg::omg:... David you look GREAT! The photo was an unexpected treat!

MostlyLurker

Patron Meritorious

Hubbard wanted domination, and wanted to cave in people he could not control.

Take the high security measures on the OT materials so that they are not used to cave people in ... Yet Hubbard himself secretly used the materials to cave people in:

"He [Hubbard] could be ferocious. July 1968 saw a very special Mission, personally and at length briefed by LRH. Myself I/C and Jerry McDonald, a very tough ex US Marine, was assistant. To go find and weed out Mafia Connections in Scn LA and to gather together and collectively cave in the Charles Berner group by completely playing out OT 3. (We hired a Hollywood Studio, set the whole thing up, got the people in and ran the whole OT 3 story.)"
Otto J. Roos

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
Rolling over and 'dying' on hot sand in the hot desert (100 - 130 F) while running around a tall pole painted red for 12 hours/day while being interrogated for hours each night (sleep deprivation), was apparently not enough! What more can a poor boy do?

Sounds like hell on earth.

David's story is unique. No other living person that I can think of had that level of access or power or most importantly, the level of understanding of LRH-especially pre-Miscavage. But that's what great stories are all about. It's so deliciously alluring.:yes: