What's new

A quiz - where is this quote from?

Ho Tai

Patron Meritorious
"Some would make the deduction for themselves in time - his kingdom would never be one of peace. The sentry posts and barbed wire at the frontiers of his land would be there as much to keep the converts in as to keep the invader out. Would he win?"

I read this today and it struck a nerve. Anybody recognize it?

Ho Tai

Patron Meritorious
It sucks why? :coolwink:
Because instead of someone thinking "Hmm, that sounds familiar, I wonder where I ran across that.", and perhaps digging into their minds for an answer, it's no longer necessary. Who needs a memory when they have Google?

Actually I am a great fan of Google and acknowledge that I have turned over many memory tasks to the great search engine, but I also realize that I am less self-reliant than I used to be. Should our electronic infrastructure be hobbled by EMP or CME, we are going to be in a world of hurt!

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Because instead of someone thinking "Hmm, that sounds familiar, I wonder where I ran across that.", and perhaps digging into their minds for an answer, it's no longer necessary. Who needs a memory when they have Google?

Actually I am a great fan of Google and acknowledge that I have turned over many memory tasks to the great search engine, but I also realize that I am less self-reliant than I used to be. Should our electronic infrastructure be hobbled by EMP or CME, we are going to be in a world of hurt!

Sorry, but I read The Stand while doing the purif back in 1980. My all time favorite of Mr King. But I don't keep books stored in my mind for some reason.

You'll have to forgive my not being able to recall it was on pg 653. Dianetics clearly failed me. :omg:

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron
Google; the new Hive Mind.

I had a friend once who was apparently linked-up with a rat-brain constellation in a distant (thankfully) galaxey. She had the hives.

But I don't know if it has anything to do with this thread. Just saying.

A Freethinker

I had a friend once who was apparently linked-up with a rat-brain constellation in a distant (thankfully) galaxey. She had the hives.

But I don't know if it has anything to do with this thread. Just saying.

She may have had the bubonic plague; it is definitely still alive and pardon the pun, well......:yes:

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
google is your friend in such matters, just paste in a piece of a quote for the search.

You can also go to www.lyrics.com and type in a snippet of words from a song, and it will tell you what song it's in.

The quote in the OP reminded me of something similar from Lord Of The Rings: the mountain passes and the valleys leading to Mordor were guarded, not to keep enemies out, but to keep the slaves in. (I tried but couldn't find the reference.)

Helena

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

Even less dramatic than that: consider how much power outfits like Google have over your "memory". An article which is not indexed by google, effectively does not exist for google users.

Abletu

Patron with Honors
we get to compare notes

not possible in scientology

only in scientology

is what is true for you is true.

hmmm

what is true for you is true. when you loose that, you loose everything.

I read in on the wall in the reception area of the CoS Vancouver 1975, the source of the quote ?

In any church its out-ethics to maintain what is true for you, when your truth conflicts with Ron's.

That is the why church of Hubbardism is insane, and Hubbard is insane.

......... is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.