What's new

Mike: Mark VIII Ultra E-Meter – 9 Years In Storage; Patent Diagrams (2012)

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Direct links to:

Patent and Diagrams
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8121676.pdf

Prior Art Patent and Diagrams
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6011992.pdf

Mike: Mark VIII Ultra E-Meter – 9 Years In Storage
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/mark-viii-ultra-e-meter-9-years-in-storage/

NOTE: At the request of the Moderator, I am providing only an excerpt of Mike's original post.

Excerpt:
mark-viii-emeter-15.jpg

[SNIP]

After nearly two years of very hard work, research and very little sleep
(2002), this CST team developed the final product called the “New Mark VIII Ultra E-Meter.” Getting there required hundreds of prototypes, designed, produced, and tested by auditors at the Int base.

Notwithstanding the fact that nearly everyone receiving auditing at the Int base were receiving DM’s personal executive C/Sing (grossly out tech per LRH), the tests using the E-meters themselves were deemed a resounding success. HGC auditors at the Int base promptly refused to use any other meter. (2002)

It is also of interest that during those two years several “flaps” came to light at the Int base. 1) The Silver Certificate requirements were completely unnecessary, but were a primary income source to Gold… a cash cow. So have been allowed to continue. 2) The Quantum was grossly overpriced. But again, at $4,000 the money was too good to pass up.

The performance of this new E-meter was so advanced that DM decided to give a prototype to his “best friend forever” Tom Cruise so Tom could use it for his solo auditing. (2002)

The guts of every Mark Super VII Quantum E-meter in use by Flag auditors were secretly swapped out for the electronics of the Mark VIIIs. Ever since, Flag auditors have been using Mark VIIIs in the Mark VII shell.

The final product was finalized and produced… not at Golden Era Productions but in Taiwan to cut production cost and improve profitability (2004). 

Over 20,000 of the New Mark VIII Ultra E-Meters were manufactured (all with silver color) and shipped to the United States where they have been sitting in Bridge Publications warehouse since 2004.

SNIP
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/mark-viii-ultra-e-meter-9-years-in-storage/#comment-4550

uncover says:
May 26, 2013 at 2:55 am

Here are the technical details of this wonderbox (including schematic):
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/8121676.pdf

und the underlying prior “art”:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6011992.pdf

As you can see, it has nothing in common with the Mark V or Mark VI, therefore you can buy any other G(alvanic) S(kin) R(esponse)-Meter of more talented constructors instead.
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/mark-viii-ultra-e-meter-9-years-in-storage/#comment-4602

Rick Mycroft says:
May 26, 2013 at 6:16 pm

By Fig. 5E, it has an RS232 serial port for external communications. What’s it going to talk to?? In the 9 years that they’ve been rotting in the box, USB ports now rule and few computers have RS232 ports any longer.

The computer world has moved, and he might as well scrap them or job them off to Fry’s Electronics.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist

Actually, NO computers for sale at Fry's Electronics have an RS-232 serial port.
(Maybe some laptop dock stations have it. I don't know.)

Except for the vehicle traffic control industry (synchronous serial comm in the cabinet, SDLC) I doubt that anyone uses this anymore.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
I kind of got lost at the point where production costs were cut by having it done in Taiwan... SO labor seems to beat the worst of sweat-shops in terms of costs...

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Actually, NO computers for sale at Fry's Electronics have an RS-232 serial port.
(Maybe some laptop dock stations have it. I don't know.)

Except for the vehicle traffic control industry (synchronous serial comm in the cabinet, SDLC) I doubt that anyone uses this anymore.

The C-meter I bought from Ralph Hilton in 2006/7 had a serial port (I sold it in 2011). My desktop computer from a few years ago has a serial port too. From memory (could be wrong), Ralph said he didn't use a USB port because it violated EU regulations to hold cans that connected to a mains-powered computer via a USB port.

I have another non-Ralph computer meter that does have cans that connect via a USB port, but whether the EU rules are different or are simply being flouted in this case, I don't know.

Paul

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
I have a suspicion about what's wrong with that E-meter, reason it hasn't been 'released'.. New and modern cirquits and components. Which corrcects the tendency the old pot-meters had of causing wild and sudden fluctuations in resistance. This would be a RockSlam.. So the new and better electronics don't do that, No 'hiccups' in the current, thus no more Rockslams!

:yes:

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
The C-meter I bought from Ralph Hilton in 2006/7 had a serial port (I sold it in 2011). My desktop computer from a few years ago has a serial port too. From memory (could be wrong), Ralph said he didn't use a USB port because it violated EU regulations to hold cans that connected to a mains-powered computer via a USB port.

I have another non-Ralph computer meter that does have cans that connect via a USB port, but whether the EU rules are different or are simply being flouted in this case, I don't know.

Paul

Whether USB or RS-232C, connection to a mains powered computer would violate the same rules. A laptop on battery would be fine. I have pointed out before, that people using meters should make sure that the mains charger is unplugged.

Where obtainable, RS-232C is the better choice for "home coding" and Control Systems. You will often find that devices which fall into these categories which are USB down-convert to RS-232C internally.

PS: Those new designs still look mega-ugly.

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
Duhhh! Meter complexity ??!!??

Mega-ugly? How is that possible with 50 years of research adding to the 2 years of very little sleep?

I don't get the complexity of the e-meter. It's a Wheatstone Bridge or some digitized version of it. With modern electronics you can do remarkable signal processing with very little money. I suspect you could manufacture a pretty good meter with a A-D converter, a USB connector, a power supply and a few plugs for under $100 and if you really tried for less than $5. This isn't rocket science. Maybe even an iPhone app could handle it?

The vision of "Flag auditors" swapping out the guts of the new design with the old only emphasizes the desparation many tech terminals have in getting their meters to do what LRH claimed. Good luck with that.

Terril park

Sponsor
I have a suspicion about what's wrong with that E-meter, reason it hasn't been 'released'.. New and modern cirquits and components. Which corrcects the tendency the old pot-meters had of causing wild and sudden fluctuations in resistance. This would be a RockSlam.. So the new and better electronics don't do that, No 'hiccups' in the current, thus no more Rockslams!

:yes:

There was discussion of this somewhere years ago. Someone said the reason
they were not released was that they stillhad lots of mark 7s left to flog.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist

Paul

My comment had to do with PCs sold at Fry's Electronics in time frame 2012-2013 in regards to the above post.

(Your comment on EU regulations is interesting. I didn't know that.)

Ralph Hilton

Patron Meritorious
Whether USB or RS-232C, connection to a mains powered computer would violate the same rules. A laptop on battery would be fine. I have pointed out before, that people using meters should make sure that the mains charger is unplugged.

Where obtainable, RS-232C is the better choice for "home coding" and Control Systems. You will often find that devices which fall into these categories which are USB down-convert to RS-232C internally.

My C-meter doesn't directly electrically connect the cans holder to the computer. The C-meter is battery powered and the output lights an LED. The computer side reads that with a phototransistor. Thus the person holding the cans is electrically fully isolated from the computer.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
My C-meter doesn't directly electrically connect the cans holder to the computer. The C-meter is battery powered and the output lights an LED. The computer side reads that with a phototransistor. Thus the person holding the cans is electrically fully isolated from the computer.

Couldn't you have used a USB port, then?

Paul

Ralph Hilton

Patron Meritorious
The overall design is horrendously complex. I wasn't going to spend my time going through the complete spec but I would say all of that complexity could be reduced to 4 chips apart from very inexpensive support chips. RS-232 use isn't a factor as RS 232 to USB converters sell for under $10.

In this day and age I just don't get why anyone would rely on swings of a needle if you could simply graph out the data over time and know exactly how the galvanic skin response reacted over time instead of guessing how a needle moved. It makes no sense. Could you image a cardiologist using an analog meter to read a person's electrocardiogram?

But it is Scientology after all, it's not supposed to make sense.

Ralph Hilton

Patron Meritorious
Couldn't you have used a USB port, then?

Paul

I think you were talking about powering it from usb at that time. The 2 factors involved in that are creating a dc to dc power converter that meets EEC regulations for isolation of medical equipment and removing the noise from the usb line.

Ralph Hilton

Patron Meritorious
In this day and age I just don't get why anyone would rely on swings of a needle if you could simply graph out the data over time and know exactly how the galvanic skin response reacted over time instead of guessing how a needle moved. It makes no sense. Could you image a cardiologist using an analog meter to read a person's electrocardiogram?

But it is Scientology after all, it's not supposed to make sense.

Yes Chuck,

See the graph at the bottom of the image :)

http://freescn.freevar.com/cmeter/

Ralph Hilton

Patron Meritorious
Given their production date they are almost certainly not ROHS compliant and therefore cannot be sold legally in the USA or EU.
They could get around the regulations, I think, by not selling the meters but only leasing them out. I'm sure that they can think up a BS "shore story" for doing that.

Given their production date they are almost certainly not ROHS compliant and therefore cannot be sold legally in the USA or EU.
They could get around the regulations, I think, by not selling the meters but only leasing them out. I'm sure that they can think up a BS "shore story" for doing that.
They'll probably use them internally in their Super Powers building and claim they are too powerful to be released to the general public. If one of these meters got into the wrong hands it could knock the earth of it's axis, then ask the suckers who believe it for donations to protect the meters.

Ralph Hilton

Patron Meritorious
You probably should have a chat with these guys, they haven't figured it out yet

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?31749-Independent-Scientology-E-Meter-Reads-Drill-Film

I have to do things on a gradient. People want a needle with a pointer on the end. The simple exercise of holding a broom by the handle end and by the broom end waving it back and forth demonstrates why having a pointer on the end of the needle and expecting fast response is a futile exercise.

Many people in and out of Scientology relinquish their decisions to others whom they assign as their opinion leader. Many leaving the CofS lost DM as their opinion leader and franticly look for another. I don't get the volume of people coming here that Marty or others who are good at PR do but I mostly get people who can think for themselves.

Ralph Hilton

Patron Meritorious
They'll probably use them internally in their Super Powers building and claim they are too powerful to be released to the general public. If one of these meters got into the wrong hands it could knock the earth of it's axis, then ask the suckers who believe it for donations to protect the meters.
The auditor and the PC would definitely have to be facing each other along a south westerly axis in order to minimize the interactions of the movement of the magnetic field of the meter with both the rotational speed of the planet and the shift in its axis. Yeah - its typical DM - to hell with the effect on the planet - those meters cost a fortune!
I'll add a smiley just in case anyone takes me seriously :)