What's new

Hello! I'm Paladin.

Paladin

Patron
Hello everyone,

I was introduced to Scientology around 1977 at the San Diego org. I was in the Sea Org at Flag in the summer of 1978. It didn't work out as I had hoped and I left Flag and Scientology after only a few months in Clearwater. I hadn't thought much about Scientology after that until 2008. That was when COS contacted me to buy their Basics. Then I started reading books and internet articles that were critical of Scientology. I have been protesting at the Chicago org for the last few years.

I decided to join this board for 2 reasons. First, I am curious about what may have happened to the people I met at San Diego. Secondly, to contact anyone who was at Flag in the summer of 1978.

BTW, my name Paladin is from the holy knights of the fantasy role-playing games, not the TV western. My avatar is Shinning Knight from DC Comics cause I like super heroes.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Purple Rain

Crusader
Hello, Paladin!

Welcome%20to%20our%20Community%20knight.gif

:)

Nice to see you here!

Purple Rain

Crusader
I got to drive by the Chicago org a couple of weeks ago. I really loved Chicago. What is it like to protest there?

Paladin

Patron
I got to drive by the Chicago org a couple of weeks ago. I really loved Chicago. What is it like to protest there?

We have a small but good group of protesters. We each try in our own way to reach-out to the folks at the org. They try to ignore us or mock us and sometimes they get angry. But every now and then we see them look at our signs or even talk to us briefly. Of course, we have no way of really knowing if we are doing any good, but we really don't know what else we can do to open their eyes. Most times the weather is our worst enemy and it can also be boring just standing there with nothing going on much of the time.

Purple Rain

Crusader
We have a small but good group of protesters. We each try in our own way to reach-out to the folks at the org. They try to ignore us or mock us and sometimes they get angry. But every now and then we see them look at our signs or even talk to us briefly. Of course, we have no way of really knowing if we are doing any good, but we really don't know what else we can do to open their eyes. Most times the weather is our worst enemy and it can also be boring just standing there with nothing going on much of the time.

Oh I don't think you should doubt that you're doing a good thing. So many people have seen the light because of the protesters outside their orgs, and also if they need to escape you guys are there to run to. I don't think you should underestimate the value of that. When I was there a staff member was standing outside the back door with his head in his hands. Well, it seriously sucks to be on staff. I understood that body language so well and my heart went out to him. I felt bad that I didn't try and talk to him, but it makes me feel better knowing you guys are there for him and the others should they ever reach that point.

It was beautiful weather when I was there but I have heard that it can get very cold.

Do you play music and dance and stuff during the protests?

Paladin

Patron
Do you play music and dance and stuff during the protests?

Yes, someone brings music and a couple of people will dance sometimes. I don't do those things myself because I don't think it serves any purpose for getting people out of Scientology and it could be seen as insulting or disrespecting someone's beliefs. But the protesters who do these things are nice people so I don't object to them playing music or dancing to break the boredom. Perhaps I take the protesting more seriously than I should. We all have different views about what protesting should be like.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Yes, someone brings music and a couple of people will dance sometimes. I don't do those things myself because I don't think it serves any purpose for getting people out of Scientology and it could be seen as insulting or disrespecting someone's beliefs. But the protesters who do these things are nice people so I don't object to them playing music or dancing to break the boredom. Perhaps I take the protesting more seriously than I should. We all have different views about what protesting should be like.

The couple of protests I went to I liked to dance because I think it showed that people were light-hearted and not motivated by any kind of hatred. But I also think people should do what they are good at and comfortable doing, and I think it is good that you take it so seriously. It is a serious issue.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron

BELIEVE ME - IT HELPS!! I was going into those morgues for services when the protester's were outside...it is very, very upsetting and made me question very seriously just what kind of group I WAS IN. The signs that made the biggest difference to me were:

"SCIENTOLOGY KILLS" THIS HIT HOME!! There were too many people dieing in this tiny group of really strange causes. I was in only a few years and a young person committed suicide. They tried to cover it up but it disturbed me to no end!!

Another sign that hit home:

"If Scientology works, why are there so many Scientologists filing bankruptcy and losing their homes?"

This one hit home too - there are so many members dealing with this ^^^^ one cannot deny it. They all try to keep it secret but everyone talks about it in a lunch room, outside, on a break from course - there are so many scientologists completely and utterly financially ruined.

KEEP UP THE PROTESTS!! It helped me wake up and then Debbie Cook's e-mail - sealed the deal!!:happydance::happydance:

still here

Patron with Honors
Welcome Paladin.

I missed you at flag I was there, training at the end of 1977.

I was very impressed that you go on these protests outside an Org.
I am sure it can be very boring and deflating, and I have never done anything like it!

Thinking on what Purple Rain said, about them knowing you were there to help, I wondered if they do know that?

For example, what do you have on your signs?

I know that often, especially at big events, (from protests I have seen) signs are about the general abuse and bs staff (and public come to that) are fed, but I wondered if there are signs that tell staff someone would help them or support them if they are feeling pressured, tired, sad, lonely or bullied and at a loss? (believe me, they will feel those things...) Mmaking the break can be very frightening for some, no confidence, no friends, no support and no life outside. If they leave what will happen to them?

Anyway, just a thought.

Do tell your story and what happened to you in the SO.

Still :yes:

Paladin

Patron
KEEP UP THE PROTESTS!! It helped me wake up and then Debbie Cook's e-mail - sealed the deal!!:happydance::happydance:

Thanks, Idle Morgue. I guess the reason I doubt that protesting works is because there were no protests when I left. I don't think there was anything that someone outside of Scientology could have said that would have changed my mind. It was my Sea Org experience itself that turned me away from Scientology.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks, Idle Morgue. I guess the reason I doubt that protesting works is because there were no protests when I left. I don't think there was anything that someone outside of Scientology could have said that would have changed my mind. It was my Sea Org experience itself that turned me away from Scientology.

You left in 1978 - there was no internet or Anonymous!! My, have things changed!! :coolwink: Keep protesting - you are making a difference! You are making it very uncomfortable for the staff and public to put on the front that scientology helps. Not to mention - the wog's see the protester and start to GOOGLE...:whistling:

Gib

Crusader

go to the good will store and get a nice blue dress pants and a blue sport coat, white shirt, look like a ex sea org person. Since Chgo, get a blue navy officers cap. Bark at the clams in tone 40 intention (LOL). Speak scientology terms, some folks who still have a mind will start to connect some dots.

Opter

Silver Meritorious Patron
Welcome Paladin :):):)

Good on you for protesting. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: It does work,even if you can't see it straight away.

Opter

X-Member-Hooray

Patron with Honors
Welcome Paladin,

I think your protests would definately do some good. Even though the staff would appear to ignore your attempts. The staff are so indoctrinated into the tech being right and so disassociated form the real world that they may scarceley seem to notice or feel they would get reprimanded if they do take notice.

I remember the days when I used to body route out on the streets feeling a little vulnerable. If there were protesteors there I guess 'the pennies would start to slide' a little.

I was just thinking with so many people now on ESMB it probably would not be that hard to get a group of people togethor to protest.

Scientology seems so quiet these days in Australia ... I wonder if any further protests are being planned.

XMH

Paladin

Patron
Welcome Paladin.

I missed you at flag I was there, training at the end of 1977.

I was very impressed that you go on these protests outside an Org.
I am sure it can be very boring and deflating, and I have never done anything like it!

Thinking on what Purple Rain said, about them knowing you were there to help, I wondered if they do know that?

For example, what do you have on your signs?

I know that often, especially at big events, (from protests I have seen) signs are about the general abuse and bs staff (and public come to that) are fed, but I wondered if there are signs that tell staff someone would help them or support them if they are feeling pressured, tired, sad, lonely or bullied and at a loss? (believe me, they will feel those things...) Mmaking the break can be very frightening for some, no confidence, no friends, no support and no life outside. If they leave what will happen to them?

Anyway, just a thought.

Do tell your story and what happened to you in the SO.

Still :yes:

I'm very excited to hear from someone who was at Flag near the time that I was there. My sign says " Scientology clears bank accounts" on one side and "Scientology turns family into Wogs" on the other. I wanted my sign to stick to the issues of money and family which everyone can relate to. We protest right outside their doors. We have told them that we care about them. They don't seem to accept that.

Based on what we know of the Chicago members, I believe most have the material resources to leave if they want to. It seems to be a mental enslavement that holds them in. They stubbornly refuse to listen to what we say or simply disregard us. When I told one man that I understood Scientology because I had been in it for 2 years, he replied that he had been in for 22 years. So they think that we don't know what we are talking about.

I was recruited for the SO to be an evaluator. Did you know any of the evaluators back then? The woman in charge of the evaluators wanted me to train to be an auditor. After 2 months, a course supervisor interrupted my training and began yelling at me. I had no idea what I had done wrong and still don't to this day. I spent the next month or so working in the laundry room and cleaning hotel rooms while sometimes being interrogated on the e-meter. Then I was told to leave. I was done with Scientology after that.

R2-45

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hello everyone,...

BTW, my name Paladin is from the holy knights of the fantasy role-playing games, not the TV western. My avatar is Shinning Knight from DC Comics cause I like super heroes.:thumbsup:

IMNSHO, the T.V. Western was better. (Note my insistence on the upper case 'W' in "Western")

Just sayin.'

:welcome:

Paladin

Patron
go to the good will store and get a nice blue dress pants and a blue sport coat, white shirt, look like a ex sea org person. Since Chgo, get a blue navy officers cap. Bark at the clams in tone 40 intention (LOL). Speak scientology terms, some folks who still have a mind will start to connect some dots.

Thanks for the advice but I have learned that when I stand outside on a Chicago street for 3 hours that I need to dress for comfort. And yelling at people just feels wrong for me even if I was just trying to make a point. :coolwink:

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
50c82c999ede944b272f7643228c2ac6_Knight%20Welcome-213.jpg

Thank you for joining and sharing your story! There is a large San Diego thread on this forum.. somewhere. With photos of that era, too :) I'll see if I can locate it.

Because you bravely protest your local org, you are of the elite of the critics of Scientology and I salute you
Medieval-Jester-Knight-Lady-Stilt-Walkers.jpg

oops... maybe there isn't a large thread with photos... couldn't find it/. Anyway, here are two threads you may find helpful

What's happening with The San Diego Org?
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?26234-What-s-Up-W-San-Diego-Org

Howard Dickman, ex staff, San Diego Org, checking in
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?25406-Howard-Dickman-ex-staff-San-Diego-Org-checking-in

Last edited:

X-Member-Hooray

Patron with Honors
I'm very excited to hear from someone who was at Flag near the time that I was there. My sign says " Scientology clears bank accounts" on one side and "Scientology turns family into Wogs" on the other. I wanted my sign to stick to the issues of money and family which everyone can relate to. We protest right outside their doors. We have told them that we care about them. They don't seem to accept that.
After 2 months, a course supervisor interrupted my training and began yelling at me. I had no idea what I had done wrong and still don't to this day. I spent the next month or so working in the laundry room and cleaning hotel rooms while sometimes being interrogated on the e-meter. Then I was told to leave. I was done with Scientology after that.

I think your sign was a good choice and definately something staff can relate to ... especially going broke. Just wondering if you were rock slamming, which may have sent the supervisor bezerk. I only thought of this as I could RS at will and not with evil intention. I am sure it made the powers that be make me a target, and not that long after I was scrubbing walls, and not sure why. Still really dont know why ... but thought this might be an explanation why.

XMH

Paladin

Patron
I think your sign was a good choice and definately something staff can relate to ... especially going broke. Just wondering if you were rock slamming, which may have sent the supervisor bezerk. I only thought of this as I could RS at will and not with evil intention. I am sure it made the powers that be make me a target, and not that long after I was scrubbing walls, and not sure why. Still really dont know why ... but thought this might be an explanation why.

XMH

Yes, I think it was a rock-slam too. I was drilling on an e-meter with another student when that happened. But I was never told what happened. So when I tell my story, I just stick to what I know as fact and try to leave out any speculation.