What's new

Black and White

kate8024

-deleted-
So, Chapter 5 of Scientology 8-80 is filled with praise for Black and White such as

Scientology 8-80 Page 29 said:
Black and White solves engrams and locks wholesale

and it basically says Black and White is going to solve all the problems of other processes and have the whole planet clear within a week or something.

but in Scientology 8-8008 it says

Scientology 8-8008 Page 92 said:
Black and White and Black and White Aesthetic Running are old processes which are not necessarily vital today to processing

Both of these books were published in 1952. Surely I am not the only one who has noticed this and found it rather odd.

Gib

Crusader
So, Chapter 5 of Scientology 8-80 is filled with praise for Black and White such as

and it basically says Black and White is going to solve all the problems of other processes and have the whole planet clear within a week or something.

Both of these books were published in 1952. Surely I am not the only one who has noticed this and found it rather odd.

Yep, I always wondered about that as well and didn't quite question it as there was nobody to question it to.

But do note as well hubbard claimed 270 "clears" in dmsmh and yet there still wasn't a "clear", except John McMaster in 1965 or 7 as the first "clear".

CO2

Patron Meritorious

My books are buried in the barn, so I can't confirm my memories.

My best recollection is 8-80 is from the early 1960s, 8-8008 is from about 1968 or 69.

In that period, at least among my social group, it was known that LRH was a carnival huckster, not to be taken literally. We were there because there were gains to be had, NOT because of words on paper promising the moon.

(I am trying to give you context for those of us, who were there, reading the writing.)

Gadfly

Crusader
Hubbard was always editing, adding to and altering the "tech" of salvaging the planet.

What is so absolutely crazy is that he said that 1) "We Have the Perfectly Workable Tech" at every point along the history of Scientology, 2) that per Technical Degrades NOTHING can ever be labeled as "old or not used", and yet 3) Hubbard was constantly sending past processes to the garbage bin while claiming the newest releases would NOW DO IT for everyone!

I noticed that back early on because I read all of the books and the entire Red Volumes within 2 months of starting with Scientology. Obviously, there was so much "tech" that was claimed to be "workable", yet that was "no longer used" (not anywhere on the Bridge).

These two facts about Hubbard & Scientology always hit me as so contradictory:

1. We have a workable Bridge to Freedom and Ability.

2. This "Bridge" was constantly being changed into something else (because it didn't work before).

The whole idea of "undercutting the case" with new processes constantly existed because the previous sets of processes did NOT WORK as claimed (or hoped).

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
My books are buried in the barn, so I can't confirm my memories.

My best recollection is 8-80 is from the early 1960s, 8-8008 is from about 1968 or 69.

In that period, at least among my social group, it was known that LRH was a carnival huckster, not to be taken literally. We were there because there were gains to be had, NOT because of words on paper promising the moon.

(I am trying to give you context for those of us, who were there, reading the writing.)

I bet if you could travel back in time and have a conversation with yourself, and your social group, you'd been surprised that neither you nor they were quite as sophisticated, on the topic of Scientology and Hubbard, as you now would like to think. :)

And both '8-80' and '8-8008' were from 1952.

In the 1960s, the only new books were compilation books, such as 'Scientology 0-8, the Book of Basics' and 'The Phoenix Lectures', compiled by others.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
and add in the stuff he spoke about the subject in tapes. Yep, he spouted weird contradicting things about black and white in different tape series (and it pains me to say that I listened to them).

Seriously, total proof that cognitive dissonance is a real thing is that I understood what he said, and still stuck around

I hope to hell you drop it... seriously, there are a billion philosophers and such out there, and the fact you want to even put some hours of your life into looking for whatever niblets Hubbard had breaks my heart. I'd love to get any of that time back that I spent reading/listening to the cult crud. It has made me who I am, so I guess I can't have a lot of regret, but just that I spent so much time digesting garbage is hard to swallow. So, it's difficult for me to support what you have proposed as your journey.

In the words of Monty Python "RUN AWAY!!!"

Veda

Sponsor

Hubbard and benefactor and business partner, Don Purcell, had a falling out in early 1952. The organization declared bankruptcy, and Purcell bought the rights to the name Dianetics and the book Dianetics. Hubbard promptly announced that Dianetics was not so effective after all, and that a new subject, Scientology, was the answer. Purcell returned the rights to the name and book in 1955, thus the book, which has nothing to do with Dianetics, that is oddly named 'Dianetics 55!'.

Hubbard had to keep his small group of followers from losing interest, so, aided by ample doses of Benzedrine, was busy making "breakthroughs," with each breakthrough presented as THE answer.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Oh really? Black & White processing was relegated to the hubristic heap of Hubbard's hypocritical, hyperbolic hoax?

Well, that's nothing unusual. So did virtually every other "breakthrough" as well, beginning with DMSMH which, a relatively short times after its publishing, was also dumped in Hubbard's tech-graveyard landfill. Go ahead and ask any Scientologist in any org today if DMSMH can produce a Clear. LOL. They will declare you if you say what Hubbard himself said back in the 50's--that it didn't clear people.

It would take an entire encyclopedia to catalogue all of the "miraculous tech" that Hubbard threw under the Venusian train. How about Hubbard's astonishing "discovery" that one half of the world's population could be Cleared with a "one-shot" command. I just went to search the internet for that priceless piece of "tech" and I found it and was surprised to see that it was from a thread I started several years ago called "Speechless". Here 'tis:

I am speechless at how Hubbard made wildly outrageous claims and then promptly proceeded to do absolutely nothing to back them up. But Scientologists wildly applauded, nonetheless.

Then, as if nothing had ever happened, he just went on to tell another disgracefully shocking lie and Scientologists celebrated with standing ovations.

There are so many, it's hard to know where to start. Okay, here ya go. (Example):

"For a very long time in Dianetics we looked for the "one-shot clear". Such a thing has come into existence and is workable on over fifty percent of the current populace of mankind. The one-shot clear depends, of course, upon getting the awareness of awareness unit at a distance from and in control of its various by-products .... The astonishing speed with which fifty percent of the human race can be cleared is believable only when you put it into action. The magic words are: "Be three feet back of your head". ---L. Ron Hubbard---

So what happened, nobody ever noticed that 50% of the human race was not cleared and sent exterior with those 7 magical words?

Scientology kept printing and selling the books that contained this obvious lie for another half century.

What does a Scientologist say about this? What could they possibly say???

I am so far out of the mind-warped-thinking-pattern of Scientology I am actually drawing a blank on what the proper Scientological answer to this question would be:

INQUISITIVE FELLOW
Hey, Mr. Scientologist. Was Ron wrong about this one-shot clear?
If he wasn't wrong, do you know of even one single Scientologist
who went Clear on that command? Has there ever been one
Scientologist that you personally know of that went exterior on that
command? Whatdya say, you agree that Ron was completely wrong
about that....don't ya? So? So, whatdya say, whatdya say???​

Judging by the deafening silence, I guess that I am not the only one that is speechless.

kate8024

-deleted-
The whole idea of "undercutting the case" with new processes constantly existed because the previous sets of processes did NOT WORK as claimed (or hoped).

Yeah when I first started reading about Scientology I read all the books through pretty quickly and basically it looked to me like he would come out with some new process, this was _the_ process that would make everyone clear then he would 'research' a new process that would make clears faster and would say like forget that old stuff its crap, now we all use this new process even though it had been like 6 months since the old process was invented so you know there could have been much actual research involved there. This culminated with that be three back of your head stuff that I can't imagine works for anyone who isn't already hypnotized or in a trance. This to me is what much of the R2 processes are for, inducing a trance via repetitive mental imagery - they get you into a trance then can "exteriorize" and run R1.

kate8024

-deleted-
I hope to hell you drop it... seriously, there are a billion philosophers and such out there, and the fact you want to even put some hours of your life into looking for whatever niblets Hubbard had breaks my heart.

There are a million people pouring over the words of other philosophers and supposed prophets but not many going through these works without bias. I merely have a hypothesis that there are some nuggets of good stuff in all the crap and am testing that hypothesis. I think its good to look at both the good and bad in a somewhat academic manner and at least catalog inconsistencies like the Black and White processing one for latter further investigation.

Sindy

Crusader
Though there are some changes that Miscavige has made in a lot of the books, the vast majority of the material is unchanged.

Now, everyone is essentially ordered to read and do courses on all of the books and lectures, in chronological order so people can see ALL of Hubbard's continual chicanery and they still stay. A few have broken through the trance BECAUSE of this "Basics Evolution" but it's amazing how many just justify the whole thing.

I agree with Clammy, the cognitive dissonance is off the charts. It seems the people still "in" can handle a lot of it knocking around in their heads.

kate8024

-deleted-
"For a very long time in Dianetics we looked for the "one-shot clear". Such a thing has come into existence and is workable on over fifty percent of the current populace of mankind. The one-shot clear depends, of course, upon getting the awareness of awareness unit at a distance from and in control of its various by-products .... The astonishing speed with which fifty percent of the human race can be cleared is believable only when you put it into action. The magic words are: "Be three feet back of your head". ---L. Ron Hubbard---

Just in case anyone reading is wondering, this is in the R1-4 lecture in the Phoenix Lectures where he spends 15 minutes restating that 50 percent of people exteriorize with that command and that its the most awesome tech ever and so on. It's also discussed in the book "Creation of Human Ability" which I think started life as sort of an auditor's handbook companion to the Phoenix Lectures but then became a stand-alone book.

kate8024

-deleted-
everyone is essentially ordered to read and do courses on all of the books and lectures, in chronological order

This was something that really surprised me when I read through the books. It kind of shocked me that they would _want_ people to read through all the failures and obviously made up research - but then I talked to the people on staff... most of them had not gotten though the basics books yet :-O I guess when you have people that reading Dianetics then spending a year or two doing Dianetic processing before they bother to read more books it works out well financially for the church :confused2:

HelluvaHoax!

There are a million people pouring over the words of other philosophers and supposed prophets but not many going through these works without bias. I merely have a hypothesis that there are some nuggets of good stuff in all the crap and am testing that hypothesis. I think its good to look at both the good and bad in a somewhat academic manner and at least catalog inconsistencies like the Black and White processing one for latter further investigation.

I see you keep posting this "good and bad" theory of Hubbard's "technology". A few weeks ago I suggested that you look at the "Hubbard Law of Commotion" so you might gain a better understanding of how it works.

From your post (above) I am guessing that you don't know what I am talking about and you never bothered to look.

The reason you haven't been able to figure out the "Good and Bad" of Hubbard's work is that he said/wrote TWO (2) COMPLETELY OPPOSING THINGS ABOUT EVERY SUBJECT IN SCIENTOLOGY.

For every time you find a "good" part of Hubbard's "tech", there is another "equal and opposite" bad piece of tech.

Why are you bothering to only look at one side of the equation, since the entire body of his work is self-contradictory?

Here, try this experiment. Go to Las Vegas. Bet an equal amount at the roulette wheel on both RED and BLACK every single time. Then you will see that you "win" every time. And if you are honest, you will also see that you "lose" every time.

Looking for just the good in Scientology is, itself, a biased and flawed methodology.

There are a bunch of "Hubbard Laws", here are the first three (3).

HUBBARD'S LAW OF COMMOTION: For each and every policy or piece of tech, there is an equal and opposite policy and piece of tech. [Example: Scientology's Creed which imparts all mankind inalienable rights to free speech and thought, whereas anyone attempting to practice same (e.g. Paulette Cooper) is condemned to a Fair Game death sentence]

HUBBARD'S LAW OF 10: Even if a Scientologist had 10 dictionaries, 10 word clearers and 10 pounds of clay, they could not possibly understand it. Because of the 10 points of KSW. [Example: A Scientologist could not possibly understand or "clear" the definition of the word "cult" or for that matter the word "Clear" itself. ]

HUBBARD'S LAW OF COGNITION DISSONANCE: For every cognition or win there is mental confusion and/or loss of comparable or greater magnitude. [Example: You go Clear and are totally safe & free from the eternal suffering of the reactive mind. However, at the moment you go Clear you are plunged head-first into the Non-Interfence Area where you are totally at risk & trapped in the eternal suffering of the reactive minds (of aliens)].​

Veda

Sponsor
-snip-

This culminated with that be three back of your head stuff that I can't imagine works for anyone who isn't already hypnotized or in a trance. This to me is what much of the R2 processes are for, inducing a trance via repetitive mental imagery - they get you into a trance then can "exteriorize" and run R1.

A spiritual exercise called Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia was published in Crowley's "The Equinox' in 1913:

http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib536.html

Quoting from John Symonds and Kenneth Grant, who were editors of some of Crowley's writings:

"It ('Batra', etc.) deals with the magical practice of expanding consciousness to the stars and the planets. The word 'Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia' is made up of the Greek words for Frog Mind Ox World Battle, and is a play on the title of the Homeric mock epic, the 'Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia' or 'Battle of the Frogs and Mice'. The idea behind the use of this barbarous name, 'Batra', etc. - that is, in pronunciation or vibration - is that it is supposed to create a sense of vertigo in which the mind is freed from its ordinary bounds. Consciousness - so the theory goes - is exalted to infinity by this method."

Warning: The "sense of vertigo" http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vertigo can also make the person vulnerable to manipulation, and more easily influenced and controllable.

Was Hubbard inducing a sense of "vertigo" with the "Be three feet back of your head" command?

The 'Batra' exercise includes spanning attention, visualization - "mock ups" - specialized mock ups where a person attempts to place a mock up of the same size etc. as a physical object in the same space as the physical object, and projection of consciousness through the solar system.

It even warns about avoiding what amounts to "overrun."

Note: "Nuit" - as used in the above link - denotes "Infinity."

The "sense of vertigo" seems to be "working" really well on a small dedicated group of people - enough to keep the L. Ron Hubbard fan club going for some time.

Purple Rain

Crusader

When I was in Scientology I would have gone through such mental gymnastics to explain how both of those could be true at the same time. I was called on to do that often. The fact is they can't both be true, and Hubbard either did this deliberately, à la Arnie's dox on Confusion as a control mechanism, or accidentally, as often happens to those who get caught in a lie. I really don't know, and I no longer care obviously, except that it's funny to see yet another contradiction.

I think you might be one of the few people who actually reads the books after they buy them. You well might be the only one who noticed that!

Purple Rain

Crusader
I see you keep posting this "good and bad" theory of Hubbard's "technology". A few weeks ago I suggested that you look at the "Hubbard Law of Commotion" so you might gain a better understanding of how it works.

From your post (above) I am guessing that you don't know what I am talking about and you never bothered to look.

The reason you haven't been able to figure out the "Good and Bad" of Hubbard's work is that he said/wrote TWO (2) COMPLETELY OPPOSING THINGS ABOUT EVERY SUBJECT IN SCIENTOLOGY.

For every time you find a "good" part of Hubbard's "tech", there is another "equal and opposite" bad piece of tech.

Why are you bothering to only look at one side of the equation, since the entire body of his work is self-contradictory?

Here, try this experiment. Go to Las Vegas. Bet an equal amount at the roulette wheel on both RED and BLACK every single time. Then you will see that you "win" every time. And if you are honest, you will also see that you "lose" every time.

Looking for just the good in Scientology is, itself, a biased and flawed methodology.

There are a bunch of "Hubbard Laws", here are the first three (3).

HUBBARD'S LAW OF COMMOTION: For each and every policy or piece of tech, there is an equal and opposite policy and piece of tech. [Example: Scientology's Creed which imparts all mankind inalienable rights to free speech and thought, whereas anyone attempting to practice same (e.g. Paulette Cooper) is condemned to a Fair Game death sentence]

HUBBARD'S LAW OF 10: Even if a Scientologist had 10 dictionaries, 10 word clearers and 10 pounds of clay, they could not possibly understand it. Because of the 10 points of KSW. [Example: A Scientologist could not possibly understand or "clear" the definition of the word "cult" or for that matter the word "Clear" itself. ]

HUBBARD'S LAW OF COGNITION DISSONANCE: For every cognition or win there is mental confusion and/or loss of comparable or greater magnitude. [Example: You go Clear and are totally safe & free from the eternal suffering of the reactive mind. However, at the moment you go Clear you are plunged head-first into the Non-Interfence Area where you are totally at risk & trapped in the eternal suffering of the reactive minds (of aliens)].​

This is just so true.

HelluvaHoax!

[/INDENT]
Just in case anyone reading is wondering, this is in the R1-4 lecture in the Phoenix Lectures where he spends 15 minutes restating that 50 percent of people exteriorize with that command and that its the most awesome tech ever and so on. It's also discussed in the book "Creation of Human Ability" which I think started life as sort of an auditor's handbook companion to the Phoenix Lectures but then became a stand-alone book.

Thanks.

And, yes, the "Creation of Human Ability" (like other books) laid out a certain path to OT. CHA had "Route I" and "Route II". Hey, they need more than one "Route" because not everyone goes can go "clear" and do the "Grand Tour" of the universe with just the command "Be 3 feet back of your head".

But half the world's population (per Hubbard) can be easily cleared with just 7 words, upon which time they can "be on Mars" and "be on Venus" et al.

Ron apparently left out the most preferred "Route" which is Route III. That's the Route that leads out of Scientology and (truly) to "A world without insanity".

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
1952 Black and White processing? I have never tried it. My view now is maybe there is/was something useful about the procedure and maybe there is/wasn't. How to find out? Ignore the theory and Hubbard's bullshit PR and marketing hype and try it out and see what happens.

"Try it out" means try it per the instructions and make sensible adjustments as needed. "Sensible" of course requires experience and without trying it I don't really have pointers. It's just that I've done a lot of "trying out stuff" for PaulsRobot and it has been surprisingly easy to discard what is fruitless and make adjustments that seem to work well, or alternatively give up after poking around for a while and deciding the whole thing is too far off the mark.

I can't be the only person around willing and able to do this.

Paul

Gadfly

Crusader
Thanks.

And, yes, the "Creation of Human Ability" (like other books) laid out a certain path to OT. CHA had "Route I" and "Route II". Hey, they need more than one "Route" because not everyone goes can go "clear" and do the "Grand Tour" of the universe with just the command "Be 3 feet back of your head".

But half the world's population (per Hubbard) can be easily cleared with just 7 words, upon which time they can "be on Mars" and "be on Venus" et al.

Ron apparently left out the most preferred "Route" which is Route III. That's the Route that leads out of Scientology and (truly) to "A world without insanity".

The one-shot command:

Walk out the door (and never look back or come back)!