What's new

Sea Org not only place in 1st world young people are worked to death!

http://gawker.com/bank-of-america-s..._source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

[h=1]Bank of America Summer Intern Dies After Pulling Three 'All-Nighters'[/h]
ku-bigpic.jpg

A business student who was a week away from completing a seven-week internship at Bank of America was found dead in his dorm late last week after reportedly working until 6 AM three days in a row.
Moritz Erhardt, 21, who was in the process of completing the intense pre-graduate program at Bank of America's Merrill Lynch offices in London, was found unconscious in the shower of his student accommodations in East London's Claredale House.
He had suffered an apparent seizure and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Bank of America spokesman John McIvor confirmed Erhardt's death, and mourned the loss of a "popular" and "highly diligent intern" who had "a promising future."
Many of Erhardt's fellow interns took to wallstreetoasis.com to reflect on the passing of "one of the best interns at BAML."
One person who claimed to know Erhardt said he was seen pulling "three all-nighters" in a row prior to his death.
Erhardt, who studied at WHU-Otto Beisheim School of Management, had previously interned at Morgan Stanley, Corporate Global Investment Banking and Deutsche Bank.
Until three months ago, Erhardt was an exchange student at University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business.
A spokesperson for the school who spoke with Bloomberg Businessweek remembered him being "an incredibly open, bright, and helpful young man."

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
http://gawker.com/bank-of-america-s..._source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

[h=1]Bank of America Summer Intern Dies After Pulling Three 'All-Nighters'[/h]
ku-bigpic.jpg

A business student who was a week away from completing a seven-week internship at Bank of America was found dead in his dorm late last week after reportedly working until 6 AM three days in a row.
Moritz Erhardt, 21, who was in the process of completing the intense pre-graduate program at Bank of America's Merrill Lynch offices in London, was found unconscious in the shower of his student accommodations in East London's Claredale House.
He had suffered an apparent seizure and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Bank of America spokesman John McIvor confirmed Erhardt's death, and mourned the loss of a "popular" and "highly diligent intern" who had "a promising future."
Many of Erhardt's fellow interns took to wallstreetoasis.com to reflect on the passing of "one of the best interns at BAML."
One person who claimed to know Erhardt said he was seen pulling "three all-nighters" in a row prior to his death.
Erhardt, who studied at WHU-Otto Beisheim School of Management, had previously interned at Morgan Stanley, Corporate Global Investment Banking and Deutsche Bank.
Until three months ago, Erhardt was an exchange student at University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business.
A spokesperson for the school who spoke with Bloomberg Businessweek remembered him being "an incredibly open, bright, and helpful young man."

Sleep deprivation really is not fun, but dying of it is a shocker.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/10/991025075844.htm

kate8024

-deleted-
Sleep deprivation really is not fun, but dying of it is a shocker.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/10/991025075844.htm

It takes a long time before you can die of sleep deprivation, though it is possible. Some people with creutzfeldt-jakob disease (a form of prion disease) are unable to sleep at all but can live as long as 5 years with no sleep, though several months to a year seems to be more common, but this to with 0 sleep.

Now dying of some other medical thing that is triggered by sleep deprivation that can happen pretty easily.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
It takes a long time before you can die of sleep deprivation, though it is possible. Some people with creutzfeldt-jakob disease (a form of prion disease) are unable to sleep at all but can live as long as 5 years with no sleep, though several months to a year seems to be more common, but this to with 0 sleep.

Now dying of some other medical thing that is triggered by sleep deprivation that can happen pretty easily.

He apparently died of an epileptic seizure. The sleep deprivation probably didn't help.

ADD: Sleep Deprivation and Epilepsy

guanoloco

As-Wased
The big, big difference here...I'm willing to wager that the 3 all-nighters were self-imposed...not so in Scientology...you know...that place where you're "self-determined" and not stimulus-response and not subject to "group-think".

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Precisely, highly-coveted, well-paid internships are the boot camps of the banking & investment industry.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...ll-night-army-of-banking-interns-8776134.html

Not just banking and investment. I'm currently mentoring a summer intern. Bright guy, energetic, wants to make a good impression. I had to tell him to go home at one point when he confessed to having pulled a string of late-nighters. I'll be recommending him for hire when he finishes his degree.

It's just how it is for professional slots. Employers want to be sure the person will do a good job before they hire, especially if it's an environment where you can only fire for a reason. Internships help to give the employer that information about a person that a short interview can't.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
He apparently died of an epileptic seizure. The sleep deprivation probably didn't help.

ADD: Sleep Deprivation and Epilepsy

Yeah, I was thinking he probably had other health (and maybe drug) issues besides the sleep thing. A young guy in good health could probably go a few days missing sleep without dying as a direct cause. But it makes for good tabloid headlines, or claims of "worked to death".

Terril park

Sponsor
Not just banking and investment. I'm currently mentoring a summer intern. Bright guy, energetic, wants to make a good impression. I had to tell him to go home at one point when he confessed to having pulled a string of late-nighters. I'll be recommending him for hire when he finishes his degree.

It's just how it is for professional slots. Employers want to be sure the person will do a good job before they hire, especially if it's an environment where you can only fire for a reason. Internships help to give the employer that information about a person that a short interview can't.

I think things work out slightly differently in the UK. I believe there are unpaid interneships.
My son has just got his first IT job. Its a 12 week graduate program and they can let him go
after that with no penalty. However he's doing extremely well and is the only one of the people
on this sceme doing needed work rather than still learning the ropes.

He got 100% on his exam they gave him as part of his interview, and few do that. He was asked
the potentially awkward question of why he got a relatively poor degree, a 2-2, when he scored 100%
on maths exams aged 17 or so got 4 a-levels 3 grade A's and a B, and aced their exam. He said he
lost motivation in his third year and didn't work so hard. They were dumbfounded at his honesty.

This was only his second interview. In the UK graduates often do 40+ before getting a job.

Loohan

Am I Mettaya?
Just free-associating here, but this reminds me of a indie website i saw a couple years ago, in which the guy claimed to have evolved processes to make sleep unnecessary, so one can be awake and productive 24/7.
I don't remember anything else about the group.
I bet the CoS would like to have that tech.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Just free-associating here, but this reminds me of a indie website i saw a couple years ago, in which the guy claimed to have evolved processes to make sleep unnecessary, so one can be awake and productive 24/7.
I don't remember anything else about the group.
I bet the CoS would like to have that tech.

Unfortunately they think they have the tech already. You push the wall if you start to feel like you might fall asleep. That's all the tech you need!

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Unfortunately they think they have the tech already. You push the wall if you start to feel like you might fall asleep. That's all the tech you need!

Oh man. I'm sorry to digress, but that brings back such memories. Fricking going into the late night, after not having sleep the night before and trying to get through crams so you could audit the next day. I'm W/Cing another auditor and I ask if she's tired and she says "yes". Well... I'm like I can't word-clear you, and she says "haven't seen a reference that precludes it". I mean, maybe being studentable? But, fuck if any of us could find something.

From then on, instead of lying, when asked if we were tired for crams (non-metered W/Cing), we'd all say just some outrageous stuff about how freaking exhausted we were and collapse into the psychotic giggles that you get when you are that over-tired. Seriously, was that REALLY my life?:eyeroll:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I'm W/Cing another auditor and I ask if she's tired and she says "yes". Well... I'm like I can't word-clear you, and she says "haven't seen a reference that precludes it". I mean, maybe being studentable? But, fuck if any of us could find something.

Isn't there an HCOB that says W/Cing is done under the auspices of the Auditors Code? That was well-known at ITO, although not always followed. :)

Paul

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
When I started in the work force there was no such thing as an internship. You interviewed, you got hired, you started work, and you got paid. The idea of working for free was laughable.

Oh how far society has sunk.

Helena

Lermanet_com

Gold Meritorious Patron
Almost as if $cientology were a "proof of concept" for the control mechanisms of the New World Order.

Kissinger: Those who reject the New World Order are Terrorists:

[video=youtube;io99pVOx2JU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io99pVOx2JU[/video]