What's new

Scientology Sells Boston Property - September 2013

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Just in...Co$ sold the 448 Beacon St. property for $10.5 million.

The Congress Group has closed on a deal to buy the Church of Scientology's (JB deactivated Co$ site link) regional headquarters at 448 Beacon St. in Boston’s Back Bay for $10.5 million.

Dean Stratouly, president of the Boston development company, said he plans to transform the 1889 brick and brownstone four-story mansion into seven luxury condominiums. A church spokesman said they plan to remain in the building for up to a year while they renovate the former Alexandra Hotel in the South End as their new Boston home.

The church put the 27,765-square-foot property up for sale at $12.5 million in 2010. Later, when offers for the Richardsonian Romanesque-style home fell short of the asking price, church officials lowered the price to $10.5 million. The church paid $440,000 for the building in 1975.

CBRE/New England’s Capital Markets represented the seller and procured the buyer.

Link to article here: http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2013/09/church-of-scientology-hq-sold-11M.html

That's $9.3 million for the La Mesa property + $10.5 million for the Beacon St property, folks.
Today's news reports (so far) total a profit of $19.8 million for Co$/scientology.

JB.

Last edited:

freethinker

Sponsor
This is the begining of the end for Boston. There is no way they will meet the one year renovation. The only people who donate to the Ideal Org are the same people who have been bled dry before. They will be sorry, and they won't see much of the 10.5 million if any at all.

Link to article here: http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2013/09/church-of-scientology-hq-sold-11M.html

That's $9.3 million for the La Mesa property + $10.5 million for the Beacon St property, folks.
Today's news reports (so far) total a profit of $19.8 million for Co$/scientology.

JB.

AnonKat

Crusader
This is the begining of the end for Boston. There is no way they will meet the one year renovation. The only people who donate to the Ideal Org are the same people who have been bled dry before. They will be sorry, and they won't see much of the 10.5 million if any at all.

Davids plan is coming to gether, no expenditure for new bodies in the shop and nice buildings to sell. In the end his hotelchain for the stars with free personnel will be acomplished

freethinker

Sponsor
Boston is not a CC. I know this crew, they have been recycling the same people for 30 years. Some of the staff are 2nd generation now but have been taught the same failing ways.
Davids plan is coming to gether, no expenditure for new bodies in the shop and nice buildings to sell. In the end his hotelchain for the stars with free personnel will be acomplished

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
It's said that if you lend somebody twenty quid and you never see them again, you probably got a bargain.

I reckon if you donate $75,000 to a wacky UFO cult and you never see them again, it's no less of a bargain.

Well done Boston; may you "go Clear" in the only way that counts: a city cleared of the Scientology science fiction role-playing game.

Jump

Operating teatime
Did I read the article right, that the co$ is renovating the former Alexandria Hotel at the South End as their new Boston home?

If so, the formula seems to be:

* sucker more big donations from the dupes

* buy and fitout new ideal morgue

* sell old premises to fund Davey's IAS Inurement & 'Legals' account

Nice work, when you can get it.

myrklix

Patron with Honors
Wow, it finally sold!

The building at 448 Beacon St. is a beautiful building with a great view from the upper floors overlooking the Charles River, and M.I.T. and Cambridge beyond. I'm sure some of its (long tired) inner grandeur will be lost once it's carved up into 7 condos. At least the facade will remain in character with the surrounding neighborhood.

Also from the referenced article regarding the shell of the Alexandria:

... transforming the 137-year-old landmark property into the church’s office and welcoming center was then [2008] estimated at about $17 million...

Just wondering where they're going to get the difference between $10.5 million and $17 million AND do the renovations within a year? That old hotel probably needs to be stripped to the bone. With the remaining current public likely already milked dry it'll sure be interesting to see them "make it go right". Also, not sure about who owns/owned what. Did the Boston Org own 448 Beacon and does Davey own the Alexandria? And will the $10.5 mil. go toward its renovations? Or will the Org and its public need to come up with the entire $17 mil.? Anyone is SP-land know the ins and outs of this?

As a final aside, the current building has around 10 parking space, the Alexandria: None. And all street parking in the area is 2-hour metered, IF you can find it.

As a final aside, the current building has around 10 parking space, the Alexandria: None. And all street parking in the area is 2-hour metered, IF you can find it.
I doubt anyone expects this Ideal Org Sideshow to last long enough to worry about actually finishing this project.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
<snip> Just wondering where they're going to get the difference between $10.5 million and $17 million AND do the renovations within a year? That old hotel probably needs to be stripped to the bone. With the remaining current public likely already milked dry it'll sure be interesting to see them "make it go right". Also, not sure about who owns/owned what. Did the Boston Org own 448 Beacon and does Davey own the Alexandria? And will the $10.5 mil. go toward its renovations? Or will the Org and its public need to come up with the entire $17 mil.? Anyone is SP-land know the ins and outs of this? <snip>

Hi, Myrklix --

Under normal circumstances, it would be logical/reasonable to pose the very questions you've raised above to the spokesrep for the property -- something I intended to do earlier today.

Except...

The spokesrep for Co$/scientology for the article in the OP/Post#1 is Kevin Hall -- and a quick Google search helped me see that any such fact-finding endeavor where he is involved would end in folly. YMMV. :confused2:

Are property ownership records for Massachusetts and/or Boston available online? I looked (briefly) and didn't find a link.

JB.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Are property ownership records for Massachusetts and/or Boston available online? I looked (briefly) and didn't find a link.

Here's a link. I'm not sure if it will provide what you're looking for though.
http://www.cityofboston.gov/assessing/search/

EDIT: More info here: http://www.masslandrecords.com/

Massachusetts is divided into 21 registry districts with an elected Register of Deeds responsible for each office. Documents related to the ownership of real estate within the district are recorded at the Registry of Deeds. Recorded documents are assigned a sequential identifying number (known as the book and page number) and are then scanned into the registry's computer system. The resulting images are available for viewing on and printing from public access terminals at the registry and at your home or office over the Internet. In addition, all registries microfilm all recorded documents and most continue to produce record books containing document images on paper. In most cases, original documents are returned to the land owner. To assist customers in finding relevant documents, registries create a searchable index that contains the names of all parties to a document and the property address.
For more information, visit Secretary of the Commonwealth William Galvin's website http://www.state.ma.us/sec/ or the County Home page of the registry that interests you.

http://www.masslandrecords.com/

Also, found another way to access the public records as well:
http://www.publiclibraries.com/records/massachusetts.htm

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron

JB.

Slappy Miscavige is going to need every dime because us SP's are howling - lots of lawsuits to settle!! I do hope Monique Rathbun gets $20 million! I wonder how much the cult spent last year silencing the Private Investigators and Debbie Cook?

JBWriter

Happy Sapien

freethinker

Sponsor
Kevin Hall is DSA/OSA Boston. You will get nothing from him resembling truth.

Google City of Boston property database.
Hi, Myrklix --

Under normal circumstances, it would be logical/reasonable to pose the very questions you've raised above to the spokesrep for the property -- something I intended to do earlier today.

Except...

The spokesrep for Co$/scientology for the article in the OP/Post#1 is Kevin Hall -- and a quick Google search helped me see that any such fact-finding endeavor where he is involved would end in folly. YMMV. :confused2:

JB.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Here's a link. I'm not sure if it will provide what you're looking for though.
http://www.cityofboston.gov/assessing/search/

EDIT: More info here: http://www.masslandrecords.com/

Also, found another way to access the public records as well:
http://www.publiclibraries.com/records/massachusetts.htm

In the event the search results page I posted just prior to this post cannot be viewed, (I can see it but I'm not sure if anyone else is able to) info from the 'masslandrecords' site (see Type4's link above) shows 3 'recordable events' which occurred on the same date, 8-22-2013: deed, subordination, and assignment/agreement.

The entities involved included: Beacon LLC 448, Cambridge Savings Bank, New England College of Optometry (<---?), and Church of Scientology of Boston.

JB

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
They're not visible for me but anyone who clidks on that link just needs to click on the button up top for "search criteria", than click on "property search" (under Recorded Land section).

Than just plug in the property address: 448 Beacon St Boston

Thanks again, Type4!

JB

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Slappy Miscavige is going to need every dime because us SP's are howling - lots of lawsuits to settle!! I do hope Monique Rathbun gets $20 million! I wonder how much the cult spent last year silencing the Private Investigators and Debbie Cook?

Mosey won't settle.

Operating Wog

Patron with Honors
Did the church ever pay off the building at 448? I remember in the late 90's the bank was this close to foreclosing and a rich couple, Jim and Cheryl D'Arrezzo (sp?) bailed them out by buying out the mortgage. The org then paid them monthly, but of course, it was a constant flap because they were constantly late and the D'Arrezzo's would complain uplines. But it's been 12 years or so. Wondering if they paid them off, or got another bank mortgage, or what.