What's new

Portland Pics

Polly

Patron with Honors
Middle two photos the girl holding flag is me, and the woman on left is my Mom.

Scan0001.jpg

Purple Rain

Crusader
You look really pretty. And at least you got to have a bit of fun and spend some time with your mum for a change. It was a real shame the court bowed to the pressure from the Scientologists, though.

Polly

Patron with Honors
You look really pretty. And at least you got to have a bit of fun and spend some time with your mum for a change. It was a real shame the court bowed to the pressure from the Scientologists, though.

Thank you...(blushes) and yes spending that week that my mom was there with her... after not seeing her for about a year...wow sorry I may finish talking about that another time... still tender subject.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Thank you...(blushes) and yes spending that week that my mom was there with her... after not seeing her for about a year...wow sorry I may finish talking about that another time... still tender subject.

:hug:

I understand.

You don't need to talk about it at all unless you feel it will help. So sorry for all you've been through.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Your mom looks very familiar to me...

Oh the good ole days o' Portland...

I was young - 12 or 13 and on my own. My mom was down in LA. I remember sleeping in the Delphi Gym too. Got my head stepped on lots of times. Sorry if I ever stepped on your head, Polly! I think I barely ever protested because they sent us out to knock on doors trying to pass out Way to Happiness books to angry ladies at their houses. Then we got bored and started collecting bottlecaps! Religious Freedom NOW!!!!! :p

Polly

Patron with Honors
Way to happiness....Bottlecaps!!! That sounds familiar lol. Sorry if I ever stepped on your head too. Hmmm I always wondered where those lumps on my head came from... Hehe...I was a very heavy sleeper back then. Yeah 12 what were they thinking.:confused2:

Purple Rain

Crusader
Way to happiness....Bottlecaps!!! That sounds familiar lol. Sorry if I ever stepped on your head too. Hmmm I always wondered where those lumps on my head came from... Hehe...I was a very heavy sleeper back then. Yeah 12 what were they thinking.:confused2:

This is one of those happy sad threads, isn't it? One second you're laughing at the joke, and the next second there's a lump in your throat when you think, "yeah... 12" and the poignancy of that really hits home. I am grateful that those two young girls were able to snatch some happiness in amongst all that insanity. Enjoy sharing your happy memories. They are precious, especially if they are fewer than most children get. I am glad you have each other to understand the sad parts as well.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
During the Battle of Portland I also had Emma D'Aubrey in my circle of responsibility. She was 5 years old and I, as a responsible 12 year old, was her only legal guardian while we were in PTL for a month. Weird! I would NEVER do that to my child! Crazy!

Polly

Patron with Honors
Ok here is another little snippet that I should be posting in my story but also kinda ties to here.

So....as I mentioned in "Is the path rocky?" My Mom was in Portland for a week. Well I believe it was after the waterfall incident, I also got caught smoking. And if memory serves me right part of my handling was to inform my mother that I smoked and that I had been smoking since I was at flag. Ok so here goes that conversation on a payphone...

Polly: "Mom?
Mom:"Yeah?
Polly:"Do you have your auditors hat on?
Mom:"Yeaah?"(biting her finger and thinking the worst possible things a mother could imagine)
Polly:"I smoke."
Long pause......(also biting her finger)
Mom:"Ok"(keeping her auditors hat on)

Polly

Patron with Honors
This is one of those happy sad threads, isn't it? One second you're laughing at the joke, and the next second there's a lump in your throat when you think, "yeah... 12" and the poignancy of that really hits home. I am grateful that those two young girls were able to snatch some happiness in amongst all that insanity. Enjoy sharing your happy memories. They are precious, especially if they are fewer than most children get. I am glad you have each other to understand the sad parts as well.

Thank you! I wanted to post these pictures also for all my new friends on here.
I have read quite a few stories here and on other forums about Portland and well....started searching through all my and my mothers photos. Also it helps remind me of some of the things going on at that time. All pieces in my puzzle.

henrymiller

Very cool. I didn't go but my dad did and made a video there.
I saw Michael Roberts and Jeff Pomerantz in the set, names that have been irrelevant since I left, but were total celebs while I was in.

Polly

Patron with Honors
Very cool. I didn't go but my dad did and made a video there.
I saw Michael Roberts and Jeff Pomerantz in the set, names that have been irrelevant since I left, but were total celebs while I was in.

Yeah, there's also Frank Stalone, Melanie, there was like a cover band or maybe it was the real guys but I remember this band played "stay cat strut"

Dang another happy/sad memory...I had a white T-shirt that I had gotten a lot of autographs of the different musicians on..... :( it got stolen when I was back in LA)

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
I remember a song that started out:

Pack up the Winnebago
Throw in the old guitar

(then something about going to Portland and fighting for religious freedom...)