What's new

Sending Private Messages to me on ESMB

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Implicitly as in 'absolutely' ...

:)

I appear to have killed this thread stone dead so I'll add what I hoped would come out of it by saying that 'if' by whatever means, a mod read something I (or anyone else) had written (in a PM) because they thought I was attempting to wreck ESMB that would be fair enough IMO and to try and gain an admission now is unnecessary and tantamount to trouble-making.

I'm not saying it happened or that it didn't or that it's even possible (or that it isn't) partly because I don't care, but I understand that things happened a few years ago that were never really cleared up.

My point seems to be that whats done is done ... but, if I believed one of my kids was doing something seriously 'icky' ... I'd ask them straight out and if I got an unsatisfactory response wait till they were out and go and CHECK (as far as I could) by poking about in their rooms!

That's what I'm like ... but (if I discovered damning evidence, lol) I'd ask them (again) to please tell me the truth and if they still didn't I'd tell them I already knew and that they were stupid to leave the evidence where I could find it and that they were wrong (assuming they were) for whatever they were doing in the first place.

Call me old fashioned ... call me cryptic (those that were here a few years ago will understand) ... call me what ever you like ... I'd just really like to see this sorted now and dropped.

:yes:

This thread has nothing to do with Emma or the mods.

In the first post of this thread, I wrote:

First, please understand that this is not any kind of a complaint or criticism of ESMB security rules. I believe that ESMB security is as good as most boards of its kind.

However, I do need to ask anyone who wants to send me a private message on ESMB to treat the message as if it is public. DO NOT send me anything that you believe should be kept private in the board private message system.

Again, this has nothing to do with board security measures that are particular to this board.

So you see that I said it twice , right out of the gate.

And then I've repeated it a few times here in the thread as well.

This thread has to do with just regular old security, computer security.

This subject is actually very important right now, across the whole world, in many parts of the developed world. And I thought I would start a thread on it because somebody did send me a PM with sensitive information in it, and that's when it occurred to me to look at the actual security of messages. That's when I realized what I realized and wrote in the opening post of this thread.

And what I said, was what I meant to say.

Nothing else.

Okay, ITYIWT?

Alanzo

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
This thread has nothing to do with Emma or the mods.

In the first post of this thread, I wrote:

So you see that I said it twice , right out of the gate.

And then I've repeated it a few times here in the thread as well.

This thread has to do with just regular old security, computer security.

This subject is actually very important right now, across the whole world, in many parts of the developed world. And I thought I would start a thread on it because somebody did send me a PM with sensitive information in it, and that's when it occurred to me to look at the actual security of messages. That's when I realized what I realized and wrote in the opening post of this thread.

And what I said, was what I meant to say.

Nothing else.

Okay, ITYIWT?

Alanzo

OK Al.

I'm very happy that I got it so wrong, because that's one more thing we can put to bed and cease to worry about.

:yes:

freethinker

Sponsor
Could you please post the EP of this thread in the WTF Cognitions thread because I don't think anyone knows what they are supposed to know now what they didn't know, or should know, must know, or can't know unless they are fed the Cog.:yes:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Stand down everyone.

False alarm.

Alanzo is not attacking Emma or the mods in any way.

He's just trying to share and discuss information on computer security without being called a dumb ass, a shit disturber, or a paranoid crazy fuck by his fellow ESMBers.

How well is that going?

Don't ask.

Alanzo

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Just for the record (seeing as though it came up), neither myself or the mods can read your PMs. We have no access to the database as EC has it wrapped up very tightly.

EC could probably get into the database & read them if she was so inclined, but I seriously doubt she would or that she would even want to.

There were allegations years ago (from Zinj) that I was reading Zinj's PMS . I believe that's what ITYIWT is referring to in this thread. You can't prove a negative, so my only answer to Zinj was, at the time (and remains the same today) and that is "Going on what I now know, I would have banned your ass a lot earlier if I'd been reading your PMs".

I value privacy very highly & so does EC. However neither of us can guarantee the ultimate security of electronic data which is what I believe this thread is actually about.

shanic89

Patron Meritorious
I'm not saying it happened or that it didn't or that it's even possible (or that it isn't) partly because I don't care, but I understand that things happened a few years ago that were never really cleared up.

Now wait a minute here, is it just me or do other posters believe that things were never really cleared up?

If we look at what took place at the time, I think we can say that what it boils down to is there where people that believed ESMB was being subverted and Emma was being duped. That is to say, certain ideas were no longer welcome here, a softening towards scientology if you will. Marty was being allowed a free pass of some sort to come in via a back door. Plots along those lines were the main thrust of the time.

If we now look back at the passage of time since those accusations were levelled, mainly at Emma I feel, they have been proven not to be true. Posters can say what they wish here about Scientology. Marty is not our new overlord. There has not been a softening of anyone’s disgust of scientology, by a subversive group of Indies.

If those accusations have not been cleared up then I am missing something.

I’m fairly sure that Alanzo has now stated why he had some of those thoughts back then. I can see where he was coming from and has made it, well to my mind anyway, quite clear were the seeds of doubt were sowed.

EDIT: OK look above maybe that will clear up what I did not grasp.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Just for the record (seeing as though it came up), neither myself or the mods can read your PMs. We have no access to the database as EC has it wrapped up very tightly.

EC could probably get into the database & read them if she was so inclined, but I seriously doubt she would or that she would even want to.

There were allegations years ago (from Zinj) that I was reading Zinj's PMS . I believe that's what ITYIWT is referring to in this thread. You can't prove a negative, so my only answer to Zinj was, at the time (and remains the same today) and that is "Going on what I now know, I would have banned your ass a lot earlier if I'd been reading your PMs".

I value privacy very highly & so does EC. However neither of us can guarantee the ultimate security of electronic data which is what I believe this thread is actually about.

Thank you, Emma.

You've got it exactly right.

Again.

Alanzo

Boomima

Patron with Honors
Perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to "Computer Security."

Also, I am going to have to stop sending PMs trash talking the mods and Emma. That was the only reason I used the damn system...:melodramatic:

Last edited:

Lone Star

Crusader
Within the next 6 months John McAfee may have the answer to our internet privacy concerns.....

"My new technology is going to provide a new type of Internet, a decentralized, floating and moving Internet that is impossible to hack, impossible to penetrate and vastly superior in terms of its facility and neutrality. It solves all of our security concerns," McAfee said in an interview with this newspaper.

http://www.mercurynews.com/business...ohn-mcafee-vows-make-internet-impossible-hack

On a somewhat related note, McAfee admits that the anti-virus software bearing his name has become less than stellar over the past 15 years since he sold the company.

In this video he shows you how to efficiently and successfully remove the McAfee software....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

Lone Star

Crusader
Isn't McAfee the dude who was on the lam in Central America after having been suspected of murder and being a very enthusiastic drug user?

I dunno how reliable he is at the moment. But I could be wrong.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57557438-93/fugitive-john-mcafee-arrested-by-police-in-guatemala/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McAfee

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/05/12/john-mcafee-portland-belize-mysterious-murder/2135255/

That was all untrue, it turns out. He's back in the US. You can go to his website to find out the bizarre things that happened to him in Belize. He found out about some very nefarious things going on within the Belize government and blew the whistle, then they did the OSA thing, black PR'd and DA'd him...

www.whoismcafee.com

Oh, the in the above video he has some fun with the stories of his drug use, etc....

TG1

Angelic Poster
I'll grant he's very funny. Clever, even.

Buuuuuuut ... still not sure about his "moveable Internet feast" initiative.

:waitingtosee:

TG1