What's new

Scientology bait & switch

Isene

Patron with Honors
My latest blog post (http://isene.me/2013/10/29/scientology-bait-switch/):

The first part of Scientology’s Bridge to Total Freedom helps the person take responsibility for his own mind and his own issues.

From the bottom of the Bridge to OT 2, the person exercises his ability to take responsibility over his own mind matters.

From OT 3 and up to OT 8, the Bridge is all about blaming others for one’s issues. The person works on shifting blame to imaginary entities that he is told is stuck to his body. Hubbard calls these entities Body Thetans (BTs), remnants from a sci-fi catastrophe 75 million years ago. And every person on Earth presumably has thousands if not millions of these spiritual flees stuck to and around his body and pestering him. They are supposedly the source of odd sensations, pain and discomfort and can make him behave irrationally. Whatever mental issue the person has, it is the fault of these BTs.

The first part of the Bridge is the Bait. The second part is the Switch.

• Why do OTs blindly follow the commands of the mad dictator, the pope of the Church of Scientology, David Miscavige?
  • Why are there few if any OTs that make real positive impact in the world today? Or even in their own neighborhood?
  • Why can’t the OTs in the church stop their religion from sinking faster than the Titanic?

Could it be that their responsibility is driven down to the level of a lemming?

Could this also explain why Hubbard found so many enemies to blame – from the CIA, KGB, APA, psychologists, psychiatrists, the media, the bankers, SPs, anti-scientologists, Xenu, the Marcabians and BTs – lots and lots of BTs?

I have hardly seen a group with that many perceived enemies and where the blame-game is on such a high gear. The International Executives blames the lower rank Sea Org members (the super-clergy), the Sea Org blames the outer Organization Staff and the those Staff blames each other and the public. And everybody blames the Suppressive Persons (the SPs). The shifting of responsibilities is massive.

Personal freedom and harmony is possible, but the road to tranquility is certainly not paved with blame, but rather with love, forgiveness, giving, care and fun.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
The "switch" part, BT's etc. is also not consistent with Hubbards' dicta from early on, "Make Friends". To be internally consistent it would have had to approach something like Alan Walters "spiritual teammates".

Veda

Sponsor
baitandswitch.png

A slightly different take (in fact, many takes) - from February 2013:

From the thread, Pre bait and switch auditing. Worth saving?:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?30453-Pre-bait-and-switch-auditing-Worth-saving

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
The first part of Scientology’s Bridge to Total Freedom helps the person take responsibility for his own mind and his own issues.

From the bottom of the Bridge to OT 2, the person exercises his ability to take responsibility over his own mind matters.

From OT 3 and up to OT 8, the Bridge is all about blaming others for one’s issues. The person works on shifting blame to imaginary entities that he is told is stuck to his body.
But it's still the individual's (solo auditor's) job to DO something about it. No one else will. It's not about blame, that would be "responsibility as blame" which Hubbard was against.

IMHO "responsibility" was a poor choice of a word for this concept. Responsibility implies an owed duty as if the responsible person is expected to make amends for something. A much better word would have been "willingness", choosing to do something rather than choosing to do nothing.

Hubbard calls these entities Body Thetans (BTs), remnants from a sci-fi catastrophe 75 million years ago.
Actually, I find this sort of an explanation more palatable than the supernatural explanation I was given in the mainstream religion I grew up in.

The "switch" part, BT's etc. is also not consistent with Hubbards' dicta from early on, "Make Friends". To be internally consistent it would have had to approach something like Alan Walters "spiritual teammates".
I read something somewhere that asserted that "spirits" are not necessarily bad -- therefore, while you do want to get rid of unfriendly spirits, you don't want to get rid of ALL spirits.

Helena

Isene

Patron with Honors
But it's still the individual's (solo auditor's) job to DO something about it. No one else will. It's not about blame, that would be "responsibility as blame" which Hubbard was against.

Assigning responsibility for one's own created issues to some imaginary entities is a really bad idea IMO.

Actually, I find this sort of an explanation more palatable than the supernatural explanation I was given in the mainstream religion I grew up in.

That something seems slightly less batshit than something else does not make it true.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron

IMHO "responsibility" was a poor choice of a word for this concept. Responsibility implies an owed duty as if the responsible person is expected to make amends for something. A much better word would have been "willingness", choosing to do something rather than choosing to do nothing.

I read something somewhere that asserted that "spirits" are not necessarily bad -- therefore, while you do want to get rid of unfriendly spirits, you don't want to get rid of ALL spirits.

Helena

EXCELLENT POST GEIR!! THANK YOU for being honest about the Scientology SCAM!! Hubbard was a con man and he was truly evil. Why else would this "man's best friend" throw his entire family under the bus!!

Watch this video Helena - and let us know if you think Jamie (L Ron Hubbard's GREAT GRANDSON) is just another SP??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ciupsqkLLkQ

Here is L Ron Hubbard's SON - listen to what he says about his father. Another SP, bitter-defrocked?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mcPoSo49dYU

Check out Aleistar Crowley and OTO / Thelma? Pay attention to the symbol - Rosy Cross and compare it to L Ron Hubbard's Scientology cross!! See any similarities?

I sincerely would like to hear your thoughts about his own flesh and blood and L Ron Hubbard's involvement with Jack Parsons and Aleistar Crowley.

Here is L Ron Hubbard's

SomeGuy

Patron Meritorious

Helena

I remember reading an Alan Walter post about his concept of spiritual team mates many moons ago. I don't personally subscribe to any of this but if you search his posts you might find something you're looking for.

Some where in there http://www.forum.exscn.net/search.php?searchid=3429163

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Musings...

Hubbard was a con man, and Scientology exhibits many of the characteristics of a con game.

Of course, the ultimate irony is that, as his mental state deteriorated, he ultimately went mad, screaming at his BT's

in the weeks before his untimely death.

Untimely, in that, had he assumed room temperature 20 years earlier, many people and their families would be intact and alive,

spared the needless suffering that Scientology causes.

I remember thinking, momentarily, when I first heard about the Metalosis Rundown, that he was losing it, but then quickly "got my mind right" and

assumed he was at such an awareness level that these things made sense. This was followed with the no perfume craziness.

Rather than seeing what was Hubbard's obvious descent into madness, I mis-attributed his insanity, as my own critical thinking ability had been rendered useless.

In life, some things are exactly what they seem, while others are not at all what they seem.

The trick is being able to tell them apart.

Musings...

Hubbard was a con man, and Scientology exhibits many of the characteristics of a con game.

Of course, the ultimate irony is that, as his mental state deteriorated, he ultimately went mad, screaming at his BT's

Untimely, in that, had he assumed room temperature 20 years earlier, many people and their families would be intact and alive,

I remember thinking, momentarily, when I first heard about the Metalosis Rundown, that he was losing it, but then quickly "got my mind right" and

assumed he was at such an awareness level that these things made sense. This was followed with the no perfume craziness.

Rather than seeing what was Hubbard's obvious descent into madness, I mis-attributed his insanity, as my own critical thinking ability had been rendered useless.

In life, some things are exactly what they seem, while others are not at all what they seem.

The trick is being able to tell them apart.

Well you know my take on all this---blaming Hubbard and calling it a con for any of it is a cop-out.

How can you blame him because you decided to believe it?

The Anabaptist Jacques

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Musings...

I was a public going on course and would wear fragrance - when the Course Stupidvisor showed me a reference about that... insinuating that I should not wear it.

I asked if L Ron Hubbard says odors can restimulate....WHY does the restrooms reek so bad I go to the nearest gas station to use those instead of the Morgue's. They were just awful~!

That shut them up and I continued to wear fragrance - LOTS of fragrance to sort of say - "fuck you".

OMG - there it is - my overt and with hold!! Now that I got it off, do I want to go back and am I interested in Scientology?

NOPE - I still hate Scientology and L Con Blubbard...so WTF? See - it does not work folks! It is a scam!

I have seen pictures of El Con Blubbard posted on the internet with his long, greasy hair, lamb chop side burns back when he was wearing his Oat Tea Big Boy Panties and can see crap in his fingernails and his Black, rotten mouth and can only imagine what he smelled like...:nervous::no::omg::puke2::puke2::puke2::puke2::puke2::puke2::puke2::puke2::puke2::puke2::puke2::puke2:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
I think of it more as a switchback.

Switchback def: to follow a zigzag course especially for ascent or descent.

(my bolding)

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well you know my take on all this---blaming Hubbard and calling it a con for any of it is a cop-out.

How can you blame him because you decided to believe it?

The Anabaptist Jacques

Were your critical thinking abilities affected adversely?

Mine were.

The methods used to persuade one to become a loyal Scientologist

constitute mind control. TR's, KSW, ethics, 4 hour's sleep, for weeks & months at a time

all combine and contribute to what you call my decision to believe "it."

I call it an erosion of my ability to exercise critical thought.

I have to take responsibility for my actions as a loyal Scientologist.

That's quite enough, thank you.

I do know your take on it.

It's the one thing that proves you are fallible.

Dave B.

Maximus Ultimus Mostimus
Were your critical thinking abilities affected adversely?

Mine were.

The methods used to persuade one to become a loyal Scientologist

constitute mind control. TR's, KSW, ethics, 4 hour's sleep, for weeks & months at a time

all combine and contribute to what you call my decision to believe "it."

I call it an erosion of my ability to exercise critical thought.

I have to take responsibility for my actions as a loyal Scientologist.

That's quite enough, thank you.

I do know your take on it.

It's the one thing that proves you are fallible.

Critical thinking abilities. Looking back I do not believe mine were adversely affected. I do believe my willingness to call bullshit or question things that need to be questioned was adversely affected. I thought, "these people must know something," "they act like they do," "Maybe I shouldn't speak up and look stupid."

Wrong approach. I can see that now. Hell, I knew it then. But I was intimidated. Far better to just ask the questions and let them get all huffy or angry or whatever and let the chips fall where they may. My personal integrity was compromised.

I know better now than to do that again. I'm the guy that asks the question that everyone is thinking but no one wants to ask. :)