What's new

Scientology erects giant mural in downtown Clearwater

TG1

Angelic Poster
Regardless of the fine amounts, if the Co$ stiff-arms the City of Clearwater by keeping its sign up on the tent in violation of the City's order to take it down, that arrogance will change the uneasy peace between Clearwater and the Church.

Refusing to take the sign down will spotlight publicly the innate bullying character of Scientology and Miscavige.

TG1

Last edited:

elwood

Patron with Honors
The fines are set by law.

They can't arbitrarily fine one group one thing and another one something else.

There was the suggestion that the law can be changed to base the fines on the size of the violation, and that would be a good idea.

But the city council and city hall isn't going to go through all that just for this one occasion.

The Church of Scientology has a large presence in downtown Clearwater.

But the city has other more important things to worry about than one sign.

The Anabaptist Jacques
That's the fundamental problem with the concept of "fines" against businesses and other large organizations by governmental entities. Rarely are the "fines" large enough to preclude their being considered as "just the cost of doing business".

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Regardless of the fine amounts, if the Co$ / Miscavige stiff-arms the City of Clearwater by keeping its sign up on the tent in violation of the City's order to take it down, that arrogance will change forever the uneasy peace between Clearwater and the Church.

Refusing to take the sign down will only spotlight publicly the innate bullying character of Scientology and Miscavige.

TG1

An alternate, speculative scenario:

Existing churches/houses of worship in Clearwater that would like to affix signage to/on their own buildings 'rally round' Co$ on this narrow issue.

JB - Filing this theory under "I Wouldn't Put It Past Them" in the "It's Always Worse Than Imagined" file drawer.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
An alternate, speculative scenario:

I say that Miscavige will fight to the death to keep this sign up.

From within the CoS bubble, a government official ordering this sign to be taken down, with KSW on it of all things, he's got to be an SP, or PTS at best. :ohmy:

And for the CoS to actually comply and take it down would be an acknowledgement that the City of Clearwater is at Cause over them, something I believe they'd have a difficult time doing.

EDIT: Breaking News! Just got word that CoS Representative Kirstie Alley responded to the City of Clearwater. Here's the message:

kirstie-alley-gives-the-finger.jpg

Last edited:

Anonycat

Crusader
I agree with the previous posts, and great idea, Roger. I agree that a $250/day fine is nothing, and considering the cost of the 5 story tall signs - which must have cost a fortune - is no big deal. Besides, the money was gotten with minimal investment; insane profit margins.

It was great to see the Mayor of Clearwater speaking up. It feels like the courts get it, the city of Clearwater does too, and the poor people who live there.

Downtown SUCKS. It is a ZOMBIE land Of scientologists. This downtown is deplorable. No other city in the USA is so sterile and lifeless....all due to this criminal religion. Also avoid Frenchys restaurants. they suck

Sounds like Tim used to work at or date someone from Frenchy's because as anyone thats ever eaten there can tell you, Frenchy's is a fantastic restaurant. Good food, Friendly waitresses and bartenders and fun to hang at and people watch. He is correct about the Scientologists. They have ruined Clearwater and taken away alot of the TAX base. Zombified Buncha LOSERS. Too bad they dont know that you can learn any of what scientology teaches at the library without having to sign over your life and any money you make for a billion years.

Areas to Avoid in Clearwater: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/clearwater-fl/TB2RNT02SRA42M9P3

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
A local TV Station, ABC Action News (about 20 miles away from Flag) did a report earlier this morning about the [STRIKE]mural[/STRIKE] sign issue.

Excerpt from the report:
Initial reports were that the tent was being erected for a November gathering of the International Association of Scientologists; but the church has been silent on what event the structure may be used for or when. Until the mural issue is worked out with the city, no certificate of occupancy can be issued.

Calls and e-mails seeking comment from the Church of Scientology were not returned.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...-odds-over-symbols-art-work-on-temporary-tent

There's a video report as well at the above link.

Also, the Tampa Bay Business Journal ran a report as well:
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay...2013/10/clearwater-says-scientology-sign.html

Anonycat

Crusader
A local TV Station, ABC Action News (about 20 miles away from Flag) did a report earlier this morning about the [STRIKE]mural[/STRIKE] sign issue.

Excerpt from the report:

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay...2013/10/clearwater-says-scientology-sign.html

Thanks, T4!

And some more of that news release:

"Back in August, the Church of Scientology asked for a temporary building permit; and we were in the process of issuing them that permit," said Joelle Castelli from the City of Clearwater.

Then yesterday, this enormous mural was draped over the entire east and west sides of the roof that is nearly five-stories tall. That mural, and the words on it are at the center of a debate between the city and the church.

"This was not on their original application. So yesterday when we found out about it, we made a call to the church. They indicated their stance that this was a religious symbol. We indicated that we have concerns that it is a sign," Castelli said.

By including the words, 'The Golden Age of Tech' and the large letters KSW, an acronym the church uses for 'Keep Scientology Working', the city considers the murals as signs.

"There's a maximum size that you are allowed to have for a sign. According to our sign code, it's based upon the size of the building. That definitely exceeds the sign size allowed for that type of structure," Castelli said.

Django

Patron
That's the fundamental problem with the concept of "fines" against businesses and other large organizations by governmental entities. Rarely are the "fines" large enough to preclude their being considered as "just the cost of doing business".

Easily and fairly fixed. Change the fine to 25 bucks a day. And then double the fine for every day the sign is up.

Alternatively, you could keep the fine at $250.00 a day, but stipulate that it's $25,000.00 a day if the sign can be easily read with the naked eye from low Earth orbit.....

The sign is yet another footbullet by the Church.

This Tuesday on election day there is an issue on the ballot to lease some land belonging to the city to build a state of the art modern aquarium. The site is the current City Hall and the empty lot next to it which the Church also wants.

I've spoke to a two people since this sign thing started and both were against the aquarium issue but both said they changed there minds and will vote for it becasue they don't want the Church to get the property.

Just when it was in the Church's best interest to keep a low profile they put up this huge sign.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Anonycat

Crusader
I think if they eliminated the content on the sign, and changed it to something that looked less like a sign, it could possibly work.

q4x0.jpg

Excerpt from the report:

A nice comment at the ABC site:

LeslieHope

The Church of Scientology is planning on announcing, any day now, that going forward, the letters "KSW" will stand for "Keeping Scientologists Waiting". In a stupendous climax of applause and adulation for their Dear Little Leader, a smaller sign ..I mean "mural" ...will be pulled over the words "Golden Age of Tech", changing them to "Golden Age of Take", in the interests of truth in advertising ...I mean, "religious canon".

The sign is a "sign"

The sign is a "sign"

Please god and xenu, please please please please... let all the sciencultigists SEE the SIGN of scientology "owning" the wogworld space...let them see it first and then let them see the wogs MAKE THEM TAKE IT DOWN. Let them see DM fail at keeping scientology working on his bigsize cult condom covering that canopy.

OK, God, if you do this for me, and also cause an earthquake to collapse the super power building the day after it opens (you don't have to kill anyone if you don't want to), I will join a mainstream christian domination, sorry, denomination of your choice. I'm not saying I will go to church every Sunday...Um, or, actually, that I will ever go to church, but just join up. Yeah. No Problem. Definitely. Is it a deal? Oh, and ah, No praying, I don't like praying, ok? My knees are fine, I just don't like it. By the way, I never really meant it when I said you were a psychopath, I was just saying it was theoretically possible.

Last edited:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tony is one sharp dude. I would call it THE MIND and WILL Control issue/policy. But I suppose that is the same thing. A rose by any other name...

Tony O came up with a new view of KSW today:

" KSW lies at the heart of Scientology’s indoctrination — it boils down to a loyalty oath, a promise that church members will adhere strictly to the policies of founder L. Ron Hubbard and root out any evidence of heresy."

http://tonyortega.org/2013/10/29/cl...solo-more-prep-for-scientology-ot/#more-11308

------------------------

Which also brings to view as the poster over there at the bunker called TheHoleDoesNotExist pointed out in the comments section

the big canvas has KSW on it which would be DM's positioning to get members to think he is 100% KSW (CONTROL). It's a marketing ploy.

Again CONTROL and saying that the cult believes it can SAY WHAT IS THE LAW.

When even the city of Clearwater starts telling the Scientology UFO cult that they can't just do as they please PRETEND THEY ARE LAW , you know that Scientology is finished. It's been a long time coming, but at last it has become clear that it's OK to say no to the cult, even though it employs underhanded tactics and has its own pretend military.

Clearwater is rising, and there'll be no place for Scamentology in the new city.

I agree! For some reason, I thought that Clearwater was bought off - but obviously, they are not. Take your city back, Clearwater!

The fines are set by law.

Snip.....

The Anabaptist Jacques

Regardless of the fine amounts, if the Co$ stiff-arms the City of Clearwater by keeping its sign up on the tent in violation of the City's order to take it down, that arrogance will change the uneasy peace between Clearwater and the Church.

Refusing to take the sign down will spotlight publicly the innate UNLAWFUL bullying character of Scientology and Miscavige.

TG1

RE-issued to conform with correct Polcy and Tech colour code. :yes: :lol:

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Oh my God I laughed so hard I choked and had to call an ambulance to get me breathing again.

You guys need to have warnings on the threads not to be eating or drinking while perusing a particular thread. It's dangerous!!!