What's new

Lawsuit - I Never Abandoned Suri

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Cruise screwed the pooch on this one.

He's a galactically large movie star who still, mercifully for him, has gossip rags willing to print shit about him.

When you're a movie star, you need to have good press relations with the press. If you don't, then you act charming. And if they still aren't nice to you, you STILL act charming. It's part of your job.

You don't pull a Babs Streisand and sue a rag for $50 million, then give a deposition that makes you sound like an apoplectic, ESL, uneducated day-laborer.

For Christ's sake, he couldn't even explain in plain English how Scientology is a religion.

As I said (and as Tom would be sure and repeat for emphasis) he screwed the pooch.

I'm betting "someone" advised him to sue the mag, teach 'em a lesson. Scorched earth and all that.

TG1

I agree.

In all honesty, to me, this whole thing makes him come across as unprofessional and butthurt.

This is the guy who claims he never reads the internet.

Right?

He doesn't pay attention to "entheta" because he's just to bizzee being an OT and a Movie Star.

In all these years of media fallout about his relationship to Scientology, he's never reacted to anything that's been said about him. He's always appeared to be above it all or totally oblivious.

And, after all this time of horrible media which has said every bad thing about him that could be said and made fun of him in every possible way, he chooses this to sue about?

The one positive thing most people know about Cruise is that he is a good parent and does spend time with his kids. That little girl has always lived the life of a princess. She's got divorced parents. Well, good lord, who doesn't?

If he had an ounce of common sense, he would have shrugged it off, like every other famous person who has something stupid written about them on the cover of a rag.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Why isn't Tom Cruise out there clearing the planet? :unsure: Why is he not selling Dianetics books at every Hollywood Production? :ohmy: Namby pamby panty-waist dilettante! :yes: Suing because a news journalist/paper because they said something about him he did not like!

Welcome to Hollywierd Tom - you are an overpaid actor that believes in XENU! You are irresponsible because you won't LOOK at your "religion"!

You like it when you have fans raving over you, make millions on one movie, like the "special treatment you received from COB and let's not forget the endless Sea Org Slaves doing your cleaning and laundry and other "unimportant tasks you are too good to do"!

Tom - Get over it!:p Can't you get in comm with them and apply ARC? Aren't you a communications release? A problems release? No reactive mind on your first dynamic? WTF Tom??? You are not much of an ambassador for your cult!

Purple Rain

Crusader
He can always go in the Guinness book of records for being the first celebrity to sue for libel. That never happens.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
NY Daily News

This is from the NY Daily News:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...ft-protect-suri-scientology-article-1.1510304

Tom Cruise: I didn’t see Suri for 110 days; Scientology made Katie Holmes flee

In a stunning Sept. 9 deposition, Cruise confessed that Holmes dumped him to spare their daughter, Suri, now 7, from the sect, and also admitted that he only saw his daughter 10 times between the middle of June and Thanksgiving. The admission was sparked by a $50 million lawsuit accusing Life & Style and In Touch magazines of defaming him in 2012 stories claiming he'd 'abandoned' Suri.

Tom Cruise has admitted in an explosive court deposition that actress Katie Holmes fled their marriage to protect their daughter from Scientology.

In the deposition, leaked to RadarOnline, the movie star confessed that Holmes dumped him to spare their now 7-year-old daughter, Suri, from the sect.

The “Mission Impossible” actor’s stunning deposition was sparked by his $50 million lawsuit accusing Life & Style and In Touch magazines of defaming him in 2012 cover stories claiming he’d “abandoned” his daughter.​

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
Wow..... :drama:

Wonder how the Diminutive Miscreant feels about a sworn statement in the public record that says THAT!!!

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Cruise may end up winning this case but he's going to lose the PR battle, both for himself personally AND the CoS.

Here's another story:

Katie Holmes' Scientology Heartbreak
Your suspicions have been confirmed: Tom Cruise admitted under oath that Scientology was a major factor in his split from Katie Holmes.

While Tom Cruise is busy fighting his $50 million lawsuit against In Touch and Life & Style magazines over claims he abandoned daughter Suri in the months after his divorce from Katie Holmes, some very juicy info has come out of his depositions: Why the divorce happened in the first place.

If you've been saying "Scientology" this whole time, you win a gold star!

<snip

Full Article: http://www.sheknows.com/entertainme...ts-scientology-caused-split-with-katie-holmes

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Cruise v Bauer Publishing -- Deposition Transcript Excerpts - More Coming

http://amradaronline.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/depo20001.pdf

This is a release of a large number of pages. Not sure why the other pages have been withheld....?

Vanity Fair, UK's DailyMail, NY's Daily News and a slew of other sites - news-based and gossip-based - are now flooding the net with deposition transcript excerpts and commentary about what's been leaked thus far. A few of the sites state that RadarOnline will release more pages tomorrow.

The videotaped deposition's transcript has so far revealed that:
Katie Holmes has not had any contact from TC's older 2 children since their divorce;
Katie Holmes did assert in her divorce papers that she did not want Suri involved with Co$/scientology;
Suri Cruise has not been involved with Co$/scientology since the divorce;
TC flew from Pittsburgh to England back to Pittsburgh (w/in 24 hours) to attend the 2012 IAS Event; and,
the definition of 'suppressive person' which was obtained straight from the Co$ website and read to him by Bauer's attorney was correct, per Tom.

Earlier in this thread, TC's 2-page declaration was discussed as having been filed in support of his attorneys' Motion to Compel the Bauer Publishing defendants to reveal the identities of all people who provided Bauer information to support the published stories.
The hearing for that Motion in California federal court is scheduled for November 26, 2013.

JB

Purple Rain

Crusader
Cruise may end up winning this case but he's going to lose the PR battle, both for himself personally AND the CoS.

Here's another story:

Well, the aspect of people hearing about why Katie was concerned for Suri I am glad that is being taken up by the press.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Lawsuit - I Never Abandoned Suri - Bauer Publishing Statement - November 2013

Here's the statement from Bauer Publishing and a bit from their response to TC's attorneys' Motion to Compel (in blue)...

The publisher said in a statement Thursday that both magazines "stand behind the reporting and articles at issue in Mr. Cruise's action."

"This litigation has established that the editorial teams had a wealth of evidence substantiating that following his divorce from Ms. Holmes, Mr. Cruise was absent from his daughter for long periods of time, that seeing her was not his first priority and that she was emotionally struggling as a result of her father's extended absences," Bauer Publishing said.

"Mr. Cruise does not challenge the accuracy of any of the underlying facts that informed the opinions expressed by the editorial teams at In Touch and Life & Style."

The tabloids' lawyers argued in a response filed in court in December that Cruise can't win "because he is a public figure and the Bauer defendants did not act with actual malice."

"The articles reported on an issue of legitimate public interest," the publisher said in Thursday's statement. "Mr. Cruise has repeatedly promoted himself as being a devoted father who made his family his top priority. Now, with his own admissions, it is clear that the picture he strives to paint is not accurate. It is entirely in keeping with responsible reporting to question Mr. Cruise's self-promotion and to inform the public about the truth."

The publisher's court filing said that Cruise "did not dispute that he had not visited Suri for over two months, despite previously assuring his daughter that he would be spending a lot of time with her after his divorce."

...as reported by CNN. Link here: http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/showbiz/tom-cruise-suri-defamation/

JB

Deeana

Patron with Honors
The deposition linked above is well worth reading. Mr. Cruise is definitely sentence and thought-completion challenged. In addition, he was not well versed in what charges were contained within his own lawsuit, nor what was actually said in the articles in question.

When asked what he had done in order to prepare for the deposition he answered that he had met for about an hour with his attorneys and had "looked at the covers" of the magazines. When asked if he usually read articles about himself, he replied that sometimes he did and other times he would be given a synopsis (I think he used the word summary) by his assistant.

The deposition includes other nuggets, such as a rather gleeful account of the rudeness of one of his assistants to an inquiry from a member of the press.

It seems TC's biggest problem is the use of the word "abandon". So the whole thing could come down to the use of that word in the headline. He did not physically see his daughter for 110 days - from August until Thanksgiving. When asked if he could not have flown to New York during that time on his private plane - as he had done from Pittsburgh to London for the IAS event, he had a long and complicated answer that included things having changed due to the divorce, something about "Kate's preferences" and then a long soliloquy about the filming for a movie he was working on at the time.

I want to give my personal thanks to the person who leaked the deposition transcript! :happydance::happydance: This document will be good for tabloid headlines for weeks if not months to come. And even $cientologists have to stand in line to check out at the supermarket. :thumbsup:

Xenu's Boyfriend

Silver Meritorious Patron
Purple, why are you so sure that he hasn't abandoned her?

Maybe this is a dumb question, or perhaps it's already been answered, but can someone tell me what they think....

It makes sense on one level, doesn't it, that he would abandon her....(not necesssarily ABANDON her, but perhaps not participate as enthusiastically) since Katie has, as part of her divorce settlement/agreement that Suri can't be indoctrinated by the church.

That makes me think that if Cruise can't get Suri into the proper Scientology trainings and school, then she isn't on the Bridge. Which means she's an SP doesn't it, (especially in his "you're either in or you're out" black and white way of seeing things.)

At the same time, I could see him being very loyal too. He may have hope about Suri for the future.

Purple Rain

Crusader
Purple, why are you so sure that he hasn't abandoned her?

Why would he? I have no reason to believe that Suri wasn't a very longed-for child on Cruise's part who he is communicating with and visiting and paying maintenance for. What do you consider abandonment?

I haven't seen my kids since I left Australia but it doesn't mean I don't love them, talk to them, ask after them, care about them, try and get them the things they need and even just want. I guess I'm pretty sensitive on the whole topic, and it's worse as a woman. People make these assumptions and I find them so hurtful.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Lawsuit - The Actual Complaint - Cruise v Bauer Publishing

Here's a link to the American Bar Association's site, dated October 24, 2012, which provides a link to the actual Complaint with exhibits as filed with the US District Court in California: http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/tom_cruise_files_50m_defamation_action_against_life_style/

Please give the pdf a minute or two to load because the exhibits include color copies of the actual magazine covers and published stories...along with verified copies of the 2 letters from TC's attorneys to Bauer's publisher in the US prior to filing the lawsuit in October 2012.

In the Complaint itself, TC's attorney states that the story contained correct information, but the headlines were objectionable because if a person saw the cover itself and didn't purchase the magazine, they wouldn't see/read the correct information inside.

The mini-headlines are all formatted on the left side of the original InTouch magazine cover as you can see in Exhibit C from the above-referenced pdf.

"44 Days Without Tom" - w/pic of TC
"Abandoned By Daddy" - w/large pic of Suri.

"Suri is left heartbroken as
Tom suddenly
shuts her out and
even misses her
first day of school"

"Has he chosen
Scientology over
Suri for good?"

Earlier in this thread I typed-out only the first 3 mini-headlines because the cover page was cut-off at the link I'd found. Grrrr.
This complete cover with all 4 mini-headlines viewed together may help explain what caused such agitation.

JB.

The deposition linked above is well worth reading. Mr. Cruise is definitely sentence and thought-completion challenged. In addition, he was not well versed in what charges were contained within his own lawsuit, nor what was actually said in the articles in question.

When asked what he had done in order to prepare for the deposition he answered that he had met for about an hour with his attorneys and had "looked at the covers" of the magazines. When asked if he usually read articles about himself, he replied that sometimes he did and other times he would be given a synopsis (I think he used the word summary) by his assistant.

The deposition includes other nuggets, such as a rather gleeful account of the rudeness of one of his assistants to an inquiry from a member of the press.

It seems TC's biggest problem is the use of the word "abandon". So the whole thing could come down to the use of that word in the headline. He did not physically see his daughter for 110 days - from August until Thanksgiving. When asked if he could not have flown to New York during that time on his private plane - as he had done from Pittsburgh to London for the IAS event, he had a long and complicated answer that included things having changed due to the divorce, something about "Kate's preferences" and then a long soliloquy about the filming for a movie he was working on at the time.

I want to give my personal thanks to the person who leaked the deposition transcript! :happydance::happydance: This document will be good for tabloid headlines for weeks if not months to come. And even $cientologists have to stand in line to check out at the supermarket. :thumbsup:

Obviously when scientology cured him of his dyslexia, he still needed to take reading lessons to bring his reading level up to normal, and he has been busy so did not have time for reading rehab. So, berly solly, I isn't understand of the documints.

BTW don't crticize and say if how does I done a read of OT material if I can't read, because that is, you, I, you it is religious, it is, you in the catholic church they say prayers, you, scientology religion cured my dyslexia. What?

Jump

Operating teatime
Obviously when scientology cured him of his dyslexia, he still needed to take reading lessons to bring his reading level up to normal, and he has been busy so did not have time for reading rehab. So, berly solly, I isn't understand of the documints.

BTW don't crticize and say if how does I done a read of OT material if I can't read, because that is, you, I, you it is religious, it is, you in the catholic church they say prayers, you, scientology religion cured my dyslexia. What?

He probably thought they would have a teleprompter like in the movies and at really theta events :confused2: