What's new

Being the Bookstore Officer: A view from hell

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Yes. Val Lisa was in the GO for years. All her training was toward finding "who is holding the stats down". She saw enemies everywhere. Somewhere along the line during her RPF assignment, she saw what/who she had become. Maybe just getting away from that environment helped her. In the end, I didn't hate her, I felt sorry for her. She'd lost her life and soul to Scientology. For at least a little while, she got it back, and I even liked her a little when she was on the RPF. I don't know if she left after that, but I hope so. I hope she had a few years of being a real person once she found her heart. She did find her heart - at least for a little while.

Now back to books. :coolwink:
Yep. I have a, perhaps, overly Optimistic view that almost every scientology martinet or robot will sooner or later come to their senses and see the scientology-installed, artificial Beingness of Rondroid for what it actually is. I've had some remarkable conversations with Exes over the last 5 years and a common theme is always, "What the fck were we thinking!?" :confused2:

Gib

Crusader
When I was on staff at ASHO day at Big Blue in '81 or thereabouts, there was this one sleazy little chubby guy who was the big hero for awhile. I don't know if he was a bookstore officer, or if that was even a post in the S.O., but this guy was selling a lot of books.

Anyway, this guy was making several hundred dollars a week in commissions, which was good money at the time by any standards. It was rich beyond your wildest dreams in the S.O.

After a few months, this guy was discovered to have been just deducting money from people's prepaid services accounts, and taking the books and stashing them in some remote empty room in the bowels of Big Blue. He didn't get caught until someone asked someone what the room full of books down in the basement was for, and did they know they were getting water damaged?

Needless to say, this guy vanished, no doubt off to RPF hell for his sins. The thing was, we had to sit there at crew musters for weeks and weeks listening to this guy get congratulated for being such a great book seller getting a ten percent kick back while most of us got paid 17 bucks a week if we were lucky. I remember being mad at this, and thinking it was so unfair. But, of course, I'd learned by that time not to 'natter'.:duh:

Unrelated but related.

Back in the 1990's I started up in a MLM company, bought it hook line and sinker, $ in the eyes,

so as to go up the Bridge. LOL

My upline was a Scientologist, high up the bridge, so I assumed he knew the truth, since I was still in the Grades part of the Bridge to Total Freedom, and totally trusted those with the status of Clear and OT.

Anyways, the top guy in our upline was in the number 1 position of his downline, me being in it. Part of the sheeple.

This number one guy, would give talks, seminars, where we all attended. Much like the COS Events put on by David Miscaviage.

Turns out, this number one guy, to meet his requirements for units sold to get the downline commission, would just buy them and store them in his basement. The requirement being selling 4 units per month to get over the MLM federal rules.

So the the guy made more in downline commissions than in selling the units personally. Much, much more.

And I learned that is what you do to get the stats up so as to get the downline commission.

What a bunch of shit the whole thing was.

Very similar to scientology.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2000/01/alpine2.shtm

"What's particularly unconscionable is that the company used unsupported health-benefit claims to tout an expensive product to consumers in clear violation of an FTC order," said Jodie Bernstein, Director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection. "This case violates the basic laws of advertising. If a business makes a claim about a product or service, it had better have evidence to support the claim." Bernstein expressed her appreciation to the Department of Justice's Office of Consumer Litigation and the United States Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Tennessee for litigating this action at the Commission's request.

Yep. I have a, perhaps, overly Optimistic view that almost every scientology martinet or robot will sooner or later come to their senses and see the scientology-installed, artificial Beingness of Rondroid for what it actually is. I've had some remarkable conversations with Exes over the last 5 years and a common theme is always, "What the fck were we thinking!?" :confused2:

From your lips to God's ears, Pandy! :begging:

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather

I just had to bump and say 'indeed!'

DoneDeal

Patron Meritorious
Thank you all for the above posts painting the pictures. It felt so good to read them as I could feel the craziness.

I simply did mission and org staff for the bulk of the 80's....and those damn books and that damn call in crap.

I remember going to FLB once and LA twice and seeing all the people running around.
Us lowlies held you in high regard and feared you.

Man it was all so crazy. I really appreciate the above stories.

And my own 2 cents. When I was public I had my APs used for books, years later I realized what a downer that was for the mission as it was the org who sold me the books and billed the mission for the money. I didn't realize how broke the outfits where till I was staff. I didn't need the damn books...I was on staff at the org, books where everywhere. I did say no, but they wanted to use that money and eventually got it.

And while on org staff I personally watched an FBO go through a card file, that's a paper card file, and choose someone and their card to "buy" them something to get one of the income stats up on a Thurs. I knew it was wrong and I knew he knew it by the way he behaved. I don't know if it was sop, but I think it was.

It really hurts looking back on it. Seemed upset was all around, and when your in the middle of a little area that's just going crazy, I don't know, I guess one could feel responsible for the entire mess. There were smiles and happy times for sure, but the constant life threatening ptp's. And to be all for nothing afterall. Sucks.

Hearing you guy's talk is good. I know there are many threads in here telling stories but I really enjoyed this one about the books and call in and being posted here and there and everywhere.

CO2

Patron Meritorious
Thank you all for the above posts painting the pictures. It felt so good to read them as I could feel the craziness.

I simply did mission and org staff for the bulk of the 80's....and those damn books and that damn call in crap.

I remember going to FLB once and LA twice and seeing all the people running around.
Us lowlies held you in high regard and feared you.

Man it was all so crazy. I really appreciate the above stories.

And my own 2 cents. When I was public I had my APs used for books, years later I realized what a downer that was for the mission as it was the org who sold me the books and billed the mission for the money. I didn't realize how broke the outfits where till I was staff. I didn't need the damn books...I was on staff at the org, books where everywhere. I did say no, but they wanted to use that money and eventually got it.

And while on org staff I personally watched an FBO go through a card file, that's a paper card file, and choose someone and their card to "buy" them something to get one of the income stats up on a Thurs. I knew it was wrong and I knew he knew it by the way he behaved. I don't know if it was sop, but I think it was.

It really hurts looking back on it. Seemed upset was all around, and when your in the middle of a little area that's just going crazy, I don't know, I guess one could feel responsible for the entire mess. There were smiles and happy times for sure, but the constant life threatening ptp's. And to be all for nothing afterall. Sucks.

Hearing you guy's talk is good. I know there are many threads in here telling stories but I really enjoyed this one about the books and call in and being posted here and there and everywhere.

On the flip side, there were those of us, who held the post of dilettante. And we did it with pride.

Too many Steve McQueen, James Garner, David Niven flicks, where the establishment is painted as the bad guy. When I heard LRH on some tape derogate dilettantes, I saw who he was talking about, and I owned it.

My girl friend and I, while doing the academy levels at San Francisco and Berkeley in 1971 would often cut class to go to the movies. We would drag (excuse me -body route or 8C) our friends to go with us.

On the briefing course, where they really wanted us there from 10 to 10 and then some, I lied and said I had to work nights and week ends. My work involved hiking and running with my dog, rock climbing, the beach, the museums, the movies, and my girl friend.

No way was I willing to surrender my life to uptight people, who lived by rules.

After I had been out of Scientology for a decade or so, a friend in the Sea Org phoned me, and asked me to go to bookstores and purchase LRH's Battlefield Earth books. The idea was for people across the US to buy the books from stores who reported sales to the NY Times best sellers list. He sent me money by Western Union, and I told him I bought books with it. Unfortunately, as of this writing, I still haven't bought them -- but my intention is to get right on it, someday, maybe, but probably not.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
So that was the progression - thanks! The post became D/CO D&E while I was on or left the RPF. I think Call In Exec Int became a post while I was on the RPF - I believe the post was created while I was running the International Call In for the LRH IS DEAD event. That was my official title while I was pretending to not be an RPFer and ordering everyone to get people to the event. They must have kept it as a post at Int level, but I'm not sure of that. I didn't report to anybody but ED INT or missionaires when I did that call-in.

AIYEEEE!!!! Horrific flashbacks. I was in a regular org when we got hit with the D/ED D&E thing. I'm pretty positive it came before the LRH is DEAD thing. It might have hit other orgs later--not sure. Anyhow, I was in Div 6 and I was supposed to call in blown Div 6 public. Freaking hell. Every 15 minutes the D/ED would come by looking for stats on it--we'd drill every day. It was nutzoid. On the RARE occasion I did get someone back into the org, they'd be blown off immediately again when the reg got a hold of them. Usually, I'd fake being on the phone or call someone who I knew had an answering machine--I just got tired of being yelled at. And we'd DRILL how to "HANDLE" that reaction. Completely unreal (English, not Scio on that unreal).

I do remember it being part of Exec Strata. I was pretty much the only staff member who actually took my study time, and so was probably one of the very few people who did this idiotic little course that every staff member was supposed to do called "Your Guide to Management" that wound up on my TIP. Part of it was learning all the parts of the Exec Strata.

I still get sick to my stomach just thinking about call-in.

Orglodyte

Patron with Honors
Hey, I have a question for those who have done call-in.

This board has greatly increased my (already high) empathy for those who end up on reg and dissem posts. As awful as it is to be on the receiving end of this stuff, it is worse to be perpetrating it. I body routed once, ever (and got somebody in who eventually joined the SO, I am sorry, wherever you may be, I hope you are all right). I hated disseminating to friends and strangers.

My question is, once in a while I get a call from somebody at an org. They are rare enough now that they feel like opportunities, I don't feel like yelling xenuxenuxenu any more. I can't help remembering that the penny dropped for Tory Magoo when her enemy was kind to her.

Any ideas for making a difference in the life of a caller-in?

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron

This board has greatly increased my (already high) empathy for those who end up on reg and dissem posts. As awful as it is to be on the receiving end of this stuff, it is worse to be perpetrating it. I body routed once, ever (and got somebody in who eventually joined the SO, I am sorry, wherever you may be, I hope you are all right). I hated disseminating to friends and strangers.

My question is, once in a while I get a call from somebody at an org. They are rare enough now that they feel like opportunities, I don't feel like yelling xenuxenuxenu any more. I can't help remembering that the penny dropped for Tory Magoo when her enemy was kind to her.

I suggest reading Steve Hassan. I really like his approach to dealing with culties. When I've had time, I do try to connect and I always say if they change their mind that there are people out here doing well. I usually mention how many OTs have left and that there are a lot of nice folks, etc.

Total asshats I have just kind of sort of not bothered as much. Also depends on what I've been doing when they call.

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
Great thread!! Wonderful stories!!

I missed out on the mandatory book sales but it's SOOOOOO Scientology.

1. Assume everyone wants your product for a ridiculous price.
2. Ignore the rolled eyes and threaten anyone who disagrees with you.
3. Set unrealistic sales targets.
4. Ignore the rolled eyes and threaten anyone who disagrees with you.
5. Set up severe punishments if the targets aren't met.
6. Ignore the devastating effect of the unrealistic targets.
7. Ignore the criminal behavior required to attain the unrealistic targets.
8. Praise anyone who found a way to attain the targets.
9. Take credit for any up stats.
10. Severely punish anyone who doesn't attain the target.
11. NEVER ADMIT THAT IT WAS A TERRIBLE IDEA.
12. CONTINUE.

So stupid.

Glad to be out.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Oh wow, that's a blast form the past! Wanda Zelinsky (Madias) and her mother, Joanne Zelinsky, blew AOLA staff around 1981 and were never found or seen again.

I liked them both. :)

Had to be later than 1981, because I joined staff in 1982 and they were still there then.

JustSheila

Crusader

Orglodyte, you sure have a lot of compassion. What a nice post. :thumbsup:

I would LOVE to share some of my old call-in methods for getting the other person on the phone to talk to me like a real person. Thanks for asking. :biggrin:

Openers can be things like, "How's your day going?" (I still say this to telemarketers. They appreciate being talked to like real people)
or something only slightly comical, said warmly, like, "Oh, is it that time of the week already?"
or if the person is sounding rushed, stubborn, persistent and communication is one-way, "It seems we're both under a bit of a pressure right now, can you call me back at a time more convenient to both of us, when you've got a spare few minutes to chat?"

The first time you speak to that caller, you should just establish repoire, nothing more. Talk about little, happy things in your life and try to get them to share little, happy personal things in theirs. Hobbies. Gardens. Pets. Relationships. Vacations. Like the person and try to get them to like you and feel safe talking to you. You want the caller to smile at the end of the call and feel good about that call (without giving money or going to an event or something). Then establish another time for another call in a week or so.

In time, you'll be buddies of a sort. You'll be that caller's moment of pleasure in the midst of organisational chaos and pressure. :wink2:

Little by little, you can bring up the important things. Start with less objectional ones and work your way up. Remember, every bit of "entheta" about the church will upset the person, so you want to calm them down. They are upset someone blew? "He'll be alright, he's got his family and you know, maybe that's where his heart is. Staff/Sea Org/Scientology isn't right for everyone. Everyone has to go their own way." Something like that, with a little joke at the end. Laughter releases tension, so any time you can make a joke and get the person to laugh, even a little, you can get a little deeper into the heavier issues.

I hope that helps. There are also some threads on here and on WWP if you put keywords into the Search, with lots of wonderful ideas of things to say to COS callers.

JustSheila

Crusader
Had to be later than 1981, because I joined staff in 1982 and they were still there then.

I'm a bit hazy on the year they left, but it was early 80's and they blew together. My mistake on their names though. It was Wanda and Joanne ZINKE. Not Zelinsky. Same Wanda or no?

JustSheila

Crusader
Yup; thought the same thing. "Wasn't it ZINKE?"

Definitely Zinke. :yes: I don't recall if she was there when my son was born, but she was there when I met my husband in 1981, definitely gone by the end of 1983. You might have some closer memory tags on when they left than me. I just remember being sent to see Wanda in Ethics because I was applying Expanded Non-E to the 2D and really dating around. :biggrin: Well, hey, I was applying the tek! :confused2: Wanda was so grave & serious, till she realised there was no sex involved, then she couldn't stop laughing. :hysterical: :hysterical: I liked her. Joanne worked in Qual. I think she was the Cramming Officer. She was a helluva SWEET woman.

Orglodyte

Patron with Honors
Orglodyte, you sure have a lot of compassion. What a nice post. :thumbsup:

I would LOVE to share some of my old call-in methods for getting the other person on the phone to talk to me like a real person. Thanks for asking. :biggrin:

Openers can be things like, "How's your day going?" (I still say this to telemarketers. They appreciate being talked to like real people)
or something only slightly comical, said warmly, like, "Oh, is it that time of the week already?"
or if the person is sounding rushed, stubborn, persistent and communication is one-way, "It seems we're both under a bit of a pressure right now, can you call me back at a time more convenient to both of us, when you've got a spare few minutes to chat?"

The first time you speak to that caller, you should just establish repoire, nothing more. Talk about little, happy things in your life and try to get them to share little, happy personal things in theirs. Hobbies. Gardens. Pets. Relationships. Vacations. Like the person and try to get them to like you and feel safe talking to you. You want the caller to smile at the end of the call and feel good about that call (without giving money or going to an event or something). Then establish another time for another call in a week or so.

In time, you'll be buddies of a sort. You'll be that caller's moment of pleasure in the midst of organisational chaos and pressure. :wink2:

Little by little, you can bring up the important things. Start with less objectional ones and work your way up. Remember, every bit of "entheta" about the church will upset the person, so you want to calm them down. They are upset someone blew? "He'll be alright, he's got his family and you know, maybe that's where his heart is. Staff/Sea Org/Scientology isn't right for everyone. Everyone has to go their own way." Something like that, with a little joke at the end. Laughter releases tension, so any time you can make a joke and get the person to laugh, even a little, you can get a little deeper into the heavier issues.

I hope that helps. There are also some threads on here and on WWP if you put keywords into the Search, with lots of wonderful ideas of things to say to COS callers.

Wow, what a great idea. I have a couple of actual friends who are still in, and I really enjoy our phone calls, which are as you suggest. I think of myself as a lifeline for these folks. Never thought of cultivating such a connection. I'll try something like it next time if the person seems real.

Orglodyte

Patron with Honors
I suggest reading Steve Hassan. I really like his approach to dealing with culties. When I've had time, I do try to connect and I always say if they change their mind that there are people out here doing well. I usually mention how many OTs have left and that there are a lot of nice folks, etc.

Total asshats I have just kind of sort of not bothered as much. Also depends on what I've been doing when they call.

I like Hassan's approach a lot. What was it LRH said, communication is the universal solvent? I think he got close to the truth with that one, as close as he could anyway. I think love is the real solvent.