What's new

LA Premiere: “Inside the Scientology Celebrity Centre: An Ex-Parishioner Reveals All”

Nicole

Silver Meritorious Patron
Re: LA Premiere: “Inside the Scientology Celebrity Centre: An Ex-Parishioner Reveals

Yeah, he's still of the "LRH was all right, it's DM who fucked things up" school. He needs to come over here and hang out with Veda for a bit. :biggrin:

Yep, Veda helps. :yes::wink2:

I regulary invite all kinds of Scientologists to ESMB. :coolwink:

Out-Ethics

Patron Meritorious
Re: LA Premiere: “Inside the Scientology Celebrity Centre: An Ex-Parishioner Reveals

I watched the who video at work yesterday. Steve did a great job of portraying his time in Scientology. What he said was exactly what I observed when I was still in not too long ago. The insane regging, training, auditing, recruitment, events etc is exactly how this cult operates. For anybody not a Scientologist you can take Steve's documentary to the bank(not the reactive one).

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

Roslyn Cohn, an actress & ex-Scilon didn't like the film.. posted on Facebook..

"How can any of you be endorsing Steven Mango's video when it is not truth! I am pissed right now. I applaud anyone who stands up - but he is so OFF about Milton Katselas and the BHP, he is so OFF about "locking doors" when we watch a film in an Org. There are no locks on the doors when I was at CCNY. Come on! Have you now gone to the other side where you applaud blindly? Come on! I couldn't finish watching...I will after I've cooled down. But the Beverly Hills Playhouse has worked so hard to set the record straight and now this guy goes and not only crucifies Milton - incorrectly - but tells flat out lies!

I think I would need heavy sedation to sit through this...the lies. How he hurt the BHP which has done all they can to clear Milton and his name - that's part of my show...and then this 4 year in *** comes in and shits on it all?!!!! I'm sorry - NO! Dude - research better. I had the heebie geebies in the intro because I smelled falsity. I swear - I feel many are drinking the other Kool-Aid now. Use your minds friends!!"

Panda Termint responded very eloquently:

"My guess is that he's learned a lot those things from research rather than personal experience, Ros, he's a newbie as a critic and has the flaws of a newbie. As regards lock-in Reg/Recruit cycles, they do happen. Someone else, more conversant with the current scene at particular locations, will probably speak to those.

Here's a snippet from Tony O.. "The film particularly drags when Mango is talking about things he has no personal knowledge of — life in the Sea Org, for example, or Leah Remini’s reasons for leaving Scientology. When he’s not on camera, the film often relies on borrowed material from others that Mango didn’t ask permission to use. We asked him about that, and he explained that he’s really just an amateur and was unfamiliar with copyright law and didn’t intend to harm anyone. "

http://tonyortega.org/2014/01/29/th...-documentary-on-scientologys-celebrity-centre

Amongst my friends I'm the only one who actually watched it all. I found it to be excellent overall, particularly for never-ins, in giving a personalised overview of Reg/Recruiting cycles. I'm sure that Steven will eventually arrive at the place where he can admit to being silly and naive to fall for it all."

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter

International Business Times: Ex-Scientologist Reveals Shocking Life Inside 'Dangerous, Secretive Cult'
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ex-sciento...-life-inside-dangerous-secretive-cult-1434269

Excerpt:
A man who moved to Los Angeles to pursue an acting career has revealed all about how he fell into Scientology.

Steven Mango arrived in California as an aspiring actor, yet quickly became involved in what he refers to as "Hollywood's most dangerous, secretive and famous cult".

As reported in News.com.au, Mr Mango created a documentary of his experiences. Delving into the world of Scientology, Mango drew attention to the alleged financial exploitation of members. According to Mango, he spent four years within the sect, during which he donated over $50,000 to the church.

CommunicatorIC

Roslyn Cohn, an actress & ex-Scilon didn't like the film.. posted on Facebook..

"How can any of you be endorsing Steven Mango's video when it is not truth! I am pissed right now. I applaud anyone who stands up - but he is so OFF about Milton Katselas and the BHP, he is so OFF about "locking doors" when we watch a film in an Org. There are no locks on the doors when I was at CCNY. Come on! Have you now gone to the other side where you applaud blindly? Come on! I couldn't finish watching...I will after I've cooled down. But the Beverly Hills Playhouse has worked so hard to set the record straight and now this guy goes and not only crucifies Milton - incorrectly - but tells flat out lies!

I think I would need heavy sedation to sit through this...the lies. How he hurt the BHP which has done all they can to clear Milton and his name - that's part of my show...and then this 4 year in *** comes in and shits on it all?!!!! I'm sorry - NO! Dude - research better. I had the heebie geebies in the intro because I smelled falsity. I swear - I feel many are drinking the other Kool-Aid now. Use your minds friends!!"

Panda Termint responded very eloquently:

"My guess is that he's learned a lot those things from research rather than personal experience, Ros, he's a newbie as a critic and has the flaws of a newbie. As regards lock-in Reg/Recruit cycles, they do happen. Someone else, more conversant with the current scene at particular locations, will probably speak to those.

Here's a snippet from Tony O.. "The film particularly drags when Mango is talking about things he has no personal knowledge of — life in the Sea Org, for example, or Leah Remini’s reasons for leaving Scientology. When he’s not on camera, the film often relies on borrowed material from others that Mango didn’t ask permission to use. We asked him about that, and he explained that he’s really just an amateur and was unfamiliar with copyright law and didn’t intend to harm anyone. "

http://tonyortega.org/2014/01/29/th...-documentary-on-scientologys-celebrity-centre

Amongst my friends I'm the only one who actually watched it all. I found it to be excellent overall, particularly for never-ins, in giving a personalised overview of Reg/Recruiting cycles. I'm sure that Steven will eventually arrive at the place where he can admit to being silly and naive to fall for it all."
Some of Roslyn's recent tweets:

https://twitter.com/RoslynCohn/status/428732853170368512
Roslyn Cohn @RoslynCohn

Steven Mango's video about Scientolgoy is not fact. I am an Ex-Scion. I endorse him speaking out but he is mis-informed, thus it's false.
https://twitter.com/RoslynCohn/status/428723267998736385
Roslyn Cohn@RoslynCohn

@StevenMango I don't like Scientology but you are not honest in your video. You dramatize and sensationalize. No! Shameful!!

The Sloth

Patron with Honors

It's a damn pesky thing about these beings infested with BT's.....they will compulsively copy anything that supports their viewpoint.
It appears that Scientology can't handle that, though, so what you going to do? :duh:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

I don't know either Roslyn nor Steven, but I can only wish they would sit down together and go over the issues that are in contention. Obviously CCNY and CCint are not the same location nor same staff nor do I think they are talking from the same time frame. Experiences could be quite different based on those things alone.

Just my thoughts and wishes. They both seem like good people.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

I don't know either Roslyn nor Steven, but I can only wish they would sit down together and go over the issues that are in contention. Obviously CCNY and CCint are not the same location nor same staff nor do I think they are talking from the same time frame. Experiences could be quite different based on those things alone.

Just my thoughts and wishes. They both seem like good people.

I know that Steve is quite upset with some of the harsh reactions to his video & he's been strongly encouraged to take a rest from the Internet & not expose himself to the negativity. All of us, who have been in & around Scientology, have different stories & personal experiences to tell. Steven's perspective based on what he has observed & heard is going to be different than that of Roslyn & others.

Hopefully, some day, there can be a meeting of minds. Steven & Roslyn are wonderful people & they mean well. :)

Out-Ethics

Patron Meritorious

I watched the entire video. Who is Milton Katselas and what is BHP?

I don't understand why Roslyn Cohn is upset. What lies did Steve tell? Having been public at the PAC base I have seen what he was describing in his film. I suppose he could have made this up but why? The Church will undoubtedly go after him for this video because that is what they do. Always attack never defend so for Steve he had better be prepared for this. I would wager there is big difference between CCNY and CCLA where Roslyn was on lines at.

MissWog

I have read plenty of people who still don't appreciate Milton and I would not say the record has been set straight because people are still upset with his actions and his commissions for new recruits.. At least that's what I have read.

TG1

Angelic Poster

I finally saw (most of) Steve's film. I agree with Tony O. It's more of a "testimonial" than a "documentary." However, it has and will continue to find an audience with whom it will resonate very well.

Making this film took courage, time, and money. I for one appreciate Steve investing in his own and others' recovery from Scientology in this particular way.

I do think sometimes, when watching people who are newly out of Scientology make their "big public statement" before they've had a chance to entirely process the experience, that they do themselves a disservice in that this is where the viewers will think their journey ended.

However, in my observation, this particular journey NEVER ends at: "LRH was great, Scientology as he envisioned it offered many wonderful benefits, and David Miscavige is what's wrong with the modern-day Church of Scientology."

For anyone out there who has the curiosity, skills, bucks and time, it would be educational (and entertaining) to see a follow-up documentary about some of Scientology's famous "exes" that explores: "How have your views of Scientology changed in the years since you left the Church of Scientology?"

TG1

P.S. Regarding the Cohn / Mango dispute, I know only what I have read on Facebook. Ms. Cohn's take is that during the last few years of Katselas's life his views about the Church of Scientology changed considerably and that during that time and since Katselas's death the Beverly Hills Playhouse has worked hard to sever its connections with the church. She objected to Mr. Mango's description in his film of Katselas and BHP as being a Scientology recruiting front, without reference to any changes Katselas underwent later in life. Mr. Mango agreed that he never met or studied under Kateselas who died in 2008 before Mango moved to L.A. and joined Scientology. He said that he was merely describing what he had been told by other "top ex-Scientologists." Feelings were felt. Epithets were hurled. And according to Smurf, timeouts are now being taken.

Last edited:

nosciento

Patron

Hi guys,

I'm upset because the BHP has come out in 2 books cleaning up their rep. Milton went through his own changes. There was a witch hunt on him. He was crucified. I can't divulge certain things, but it was heinous. I applaud Steve speaking out and have told him so. However, I do not applaud falsity. He speaks from 2nd hand knowledge re: the BHP and now, again, they will be slurred w/the whole "The BHP is a cult. It's Scion." No, it's not. I dedicated a portion of my show to cleaning up this lie (the books super clarify how Scion was involved w/the BHP and how it is no non-extant) and now Steven spreads it again. I also won't go into other discrepancies I saw in the first part of the film I watched. In my show, the only names I used were Hubbard's and Milton's. The rest are protected. He goes ahead and reveals many things that may be true, but are also portrayed in an exaggerated way based on my experience. I can only base things on my experience and my own knowledge. Also, in a message I sent to him, he exaggerates that as well and tries to use that to slander me. Thus, my conclusion is that while I feel he has a complete right to speak out, exaggeration shouldn't be part of an expose. I hope that clarifies things. I don't wish him ill will in any way - but I had to stand up. I will never lay down again and let people walks over someone or something when it's not accurate. K? Thanks all! xo

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP

I don't understand why Roslyn Cohn is upset. What lies did Steve tell? Having been public at the PAC base I have seen what he was describing in his film. I suppose he could have made this up but why? The Church will undoubtedly go after him for this video because that is what they do. Always attack never defend so for Steve he had better be prepared for this. I would wager there is big difference between CCNY and CCLA where Roslyn was on lines at.

Milton Katselas was an acclaimed director & producer of plays & films that founded the Beverly Hills Playhouse. Some of today's major stars once took classes at the BHP, including many of the current Scientologist actors like Anne Archer & Jenna Elfman. Katselas is well-known for using the BHP as a recruiting center for Scientology & using LRH tech in his direction & guidance of students.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Katselas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Hills_Playhouse

Roslyn was a devoted student of Milton & the BHP and she claims to be morally "obligated" to defend them when someone is, in her eyes, besmirching their "good" name. She has no authority, legally or from Milton's estate, to speak on his behalf, but the sense of obligation she feels is akin to many "Independent" Scientologists who leave the cult and feel the need to preserve the honor of LRH (and blame all of the cult's faults solely on Miscavige).

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

BHP = Beverly Hills Playhouse. Where acting classes are delivered. As far as I know it is not affiliated with scientology or a WISE group. But from what I understand and my information is extremely limited, it has had a fair bit of social interaction through Milton , I believe its founder and 'teacher' and some of its clients with CCINT.

I certainly would like to be corrected on any of the above by anyone having more direct information as I do not have any statistical type information as to how many individuals may have been referred by Milton TO CCINT, if any in fact. People network and things happen is about all that I really know.

Edit: Oh I see Smurf has responded before me (above) with more information.

2nd Edit ..ohhhh and nosciento .also above that. Looks like some of the wrinkles will get ironed out, if the discussion (iron) doesn't get to hot... lol

:gathering::cheers: to all

Last edited:

Out-Ethics

Patron Meritorious

Thanks for the info. This makes more sense if Steve had called Milton and BHP a Scio front group when it appears to not be the case. I missed it watching the video as it had no meaning to me. I still think the bottom line is that Steve's personal experience with Scientology is what should stand out. Perhaps if he had just stuck to that it would had been better but this isn't professional TV reporting and people viewing this should be smart enough to realize that. If he had indeed given incorrect information he should come out and say so

nosciento

Patron

There is incorrect info and it is being addressed. Re: my not being able to voice my views and defend an organization that has worked for 10 years to rid themselves of the lies, clarify truth and so forth...well, suffice to say it is my right to speak for them as it is a group I've been a part of. I've been on a break from the BHP but will always defend anybody or anything that has shown itself to be more good than bad. If that's not good enough for you and you still insist on putting me in a bad light, that's your choice. Be well all and the truth will win out) Happy end of January and here's to a fantastic February!

MissWog

There is incorrect info and it is being addressed. Re: my not being able to voice my views and defend an organization that has worked for 10 years to rid themselves of the lies, clarify truth and so forth...well, suffice to say it is my right to speak for them as it is a group I've been a part of. I've been on a break from the BHP but will always defend anybody or anything that has shown itself to be more good than bad. If that's not good enough for you and you still insist on putting me in a bad light, that's your choice. Be well all and the truth will win out) Happy end of January and here's to a fantastic February!
Thanks for posting! You have every right to share your thoughts and I think most here appreciate it.. I want to hear all points of view. I only know of the BHP & Milton from what I have read on Tony's blog going back to his VV days and what was written by Lawrence Wright..so thank you for being another source.

CommunicatorIC

Wikipedia entry for Milton Katselas (December 22, 1933 – October 24, 2008)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Katselas

BHP = Beverly Hills Playhouse

"In 1978 Kateslas founded an acting school in Los Angeles called the Beverly Hills Playhouse, where he for 30 years gave acting classes."

There are threads on here about the situation. Katselas was a Scientologist. A lot of Scientologist actors studied with him. As I vaguely recall, in his later years he was attacked by the more KSW Scientologists, including I believe Grant Cardone and Jenna Elfman, as insufficiently promoting Scientology, supporting Scientology, etc.

My understanding is that one thing Roslyn is unhappy with is her belief that Steven promotes the anti-Katselas story that she believes is incorrect.

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron

Milton Katselas was a widely admired and highly acclaimed legendary acting teacher. He was a Scientologist, and, he did recruit his students into the Church of Scientology.

Milton's even had an "Ethics officer" at the Beverley Hills Playhouse (for Christ's sake! who implemented HCO ethics). Irene Dirmann (Irene Dunn) long term SO member, long term Apollo Crew member on a "Leave of Absence" from the Sea Org while she worked for Milton and while she implemented the flow line to Celebrity Center among other things...

Milton recruited for Scientology for years. That is a FACT. He was an FSM for every single actor that trained there. In his final years he retreated from this stance but for years he was the *SHILL* for Scientology. I had Thanksgiving dinners with Milton when he lived up the Hill in Los Feliz and he *BRAGGED* to Heber his FSM stats of recruits into Scientology.

Here's Milton, best man at my wedding (Heber's friend) The one with the beard.

Milton came to the ship Apollo in the early 70s to spend private time with LRH. In my rare 3000 image collection I have some color pictures of both of them if I ever can find the time to go through 3000 images.

To clarify the "flow line" was from Beverly Hills Playhouse to Celebrity Center International. Milton set up the flow line, wanted it and made money from it as an FSM. It was a well oiled line just like WISE programs ensnare Vets, Chiropracters and Dentists.

An eruption occurred on Facebook last night with Roslyn Cohn calling Steven Mango a "pathological liar" fiercely defending Milton because he had changed.

Good that Milton changed, good that he woke up to the crime syndicate. This does not change the face that Milton Katsalus Beverly Hills Playhouse was the recruitment tool for all actors to be FSM'd into Scientology from 1978 for at least 25 years. Milton was a good man, fooled into the CULT like a lot of us. I was sad to read the scathing attacks on him from Church members for drifting away from the *Church*. RIP MIlton.

Last edited: