What's new

LA Premiere: “Inside the Scientology Celebrity Centre: An Ex-Parishioner Reveals All”

CO2

Patron Meritorious
Re: LA Premiere: “Inside the Scientology Celebrity Centre: An Ex-Parishioner Reveals

Milton Katselas was a widely admired and highly acclaimed legendary acting teacher. He was a Scientologist, and, he did recruit his students into the Church of Scientology.

Milton's even had an "Ethics officer" at the Beverley Hills Playhouse (for Christ's sake! who implemented HCO ethics). Irene Dirmann (Irene Dunn) long term SO member, long term Apollo Crew member on a "Leave of Absence" from the Sea Org while she worked for Milton and while she implemented the flow line to Celebrity Center among other things...

Milton recruited for Scientology for years. That is a FACT. He was an FSM for every single actor that trained there. In his final years he retreated from this stance but for years he was the *SHILL* for Scientology. I had Thanksgiving dinners with Milton when he lived up the Hill in Los Feliz and he *BRAGGED* to Heber his FSM stats of recruits into Scientology.

Here's Milton, best man at my wedding (Heber's friend) The one with the beard.

Milton came to the ship Apollo in the early 70s to spend private time with LRH. In my rare 3000 image collection I have some color pictures of both of them if I ever can find the time to go through 3000 images.

To clarify the "flow line" was from Beverly Hills Playhouse to Celebrity Center International. Milton set up the flow line, wanted it and made money from it as an FSM. It was a well oiled line just like WISE programs ensnare Vets, Chiropracters and Dentists.

An eruption occurred on Facebook last night with Roslyn Cohn calling Steven Mango a "pathological liar" fiercely defending Milton because he had changed.

Good that Milton changed, good that he woke up to the crime syndicate. This does not change the face that Milton Katsalus Beverly Hills Playhouse was the recruitment tool for all actors to be FSM'd into Scientology from 1978 for at least 25 years. Milton was a good man, fooled into the CULT like a lot of us. I was sad to read the scathing attacks on him from Church members for drifting away from the *Church*. RIP MIlton.

One of my best friends, since the mid 60s to present day, was married to an actor, who she met at CC. They were both in the Sea Org. They left the Sea Org, when her husband wanted to start the BHP with Milton. This was discussed on the Apollo thread a long time ago. I'm not going to rewrite it. Here is a link:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?10103-The-old-days-Aboard-the-Apollo-1973&p=338530&viewfull=1#post338530

Suffice it to say that Milton didn't disconnect from his friends, who were out (over decades time), as have others not disconnected including an actress / mom of a former scio spokesman.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Re: LA Premiere: “Inside the Scientology Celebrity Centre: An Ex-Parishioner Reveals

Milton thought he could play the Scientology game and walk on water, without drowning. He was terribly mistaken.

To be fair (no matter what his mindset was the final period of his exceptional life) Milton spent the majority of his adult life feeding the monster that eventually devoured him.

:iagree:

J. Swift

Patron with Honors

...One route to the Celebrity Centre is via acting teacher Milton Katselas. As Archer told Celebrity magazine: "I was having problems with my marriage, and my career wasn't going well, so one evening Milton said, 'You have six weeks to solve your problems.' I ended up at Celebrity Centre. I had enormous wins right away from the auditing. I feel my life broke open in the first six hours; it was just remarkable."

Cartwright also credits Katselas with getting her back into Scientology when she drifted away. "One day he invited me to a barbecue at his place, and I noticed that all eight of the people there had things in common," she said in Celebrity. "They were all Scientologists. They were all doing well in their careers, they had good relationships, and they all had Milton in common. To make a long story short, I made the decision to get back into Scientology because of these observations. I called up Gary Imhoff and went to the CC Int. I then started the Purification Rundown and my life took off completely."

Actor Peter Horton (thirtysomething) didn't respond in quite the same way. For him, Katselas's class "felt very controlling and, I guess, culty," he says. "In an acting class, there's a real tendency to build an image of a teacher as someone who can give them attention and love. So when someone comes along who happens to be a great acting coach--which Milton is; he's phenomenal--but actually has a connection with a system of self-help that verges on a cult, it's very easy for people to be manipulated."

In 1975, the Celebrity Centre landed Travolta, its biggest fish up to that time. "There was tremendous excitement about him," recalls Rose, who says for a time he was Travolta's case supervisor (Scientology officials deny it) and that the star was a jealously guarded church asset. "He's been very disaffected at times, and it took a great deal of work to get him back in," he says. "At one point, it was rumored that J.T. was gone, was no longer a Scientologist, and had made public statements. And then a bunch of people went and held his hand, and evidently he was gotten back in." Travolta seems to be solidly in the church now, having married fellow Scientologist Kelly Preston.

Romance and Scientologists seem to go hand in hand. Prior to marrying Travolta, Preston had lived with Charlie Sheen, reportedly the target of a Scientology recruitment attempt. (Sheen was sufficiently disturbed by his contact with his former girlfriend's religion that he refused an interview with PREMIERE but offered this quote: "I have no involvement in that form of silliness.") Cruise got in after marrying Mimi Rogers, and Brad Pitt took his courses while dating Juliette Lewis. This seems to be something of a tradition. As Rose describes the early Celebrity Centre, there were always "a lot of women around. It was probably a great draw in those days, for my generation of Scientologists--it was a great place to get laid...."

J. Swift

Patron with Honors

...Jim Gordon, a veteran police officer in Los Angeles, and also an aspiring actor, spent ten years at the Playhouse, starting in 1990. He told me that Scientology “recruited a ton of kids out of that school.” Like Scientology, the Playhouse presented a strict hierarchy of study; under Katselas’s tutelage, students graduated from one level to the next. As Gordon advanced within the Playhouse, he began recognizing many students from the roles they were getting in Hollywood. “You see a lot of people you know from TV,” Gordon says. He began feeling the pull of the church. “When you started off, they weren’t really pushing it, but as you progressed through the Playhouse’s levels Scientology became more of a focus,” he told me. After a few years, he joined. Like the courses at the Playhouse, Scientology offered actors a method that they could apply to both their lives and their careers.

Not long after Gordon became a Scientologist, he was asked to serve as an “ethics officer” at the Playhouse, monitoring the progress of other students and counselling those who were having trouble. He was good at pinpointing students who were struggling. “It’s almost like picking out the wounded chicks,” he says. He sometimes urged a student to meet with the senior ethics officer at the Playhouse, a Scientologist who often recommended courses at the Celebrity Centre. “My job was to keep the students active and make sure they were not being suppressed,” Gordon says. In the rhetoric of Scientology, “suppressive persons”—or S.P.s—block an individual’s spiritual progress. Implicitly, the message to the students was that success awaited them if only they could sweep away the impediments to stardom, including S.P.s. Katselas received a ten-per-cent commission from the church on the money contributed by his students.

Katselas died in 2008, and Scientology no longer has a connection with the Beverly Hills Playhouse. Anne Archer told me that the reputation of Katselas’s class as, in Gordon’s words, a “Scientology clearinghouse” is overblown. “His classes averaged about fifty or sixty people, and there would be maybe seven to ten people in it who would be Scientologists,” she says. But the list of Scientologists who have studied at the Playhouse is long—it includes Jenna Elfman, Giovanni Ribisi, and Jason Lee—and the many protégés Katselas left behind helped cement the relationship between Hollywood and the church...

J. Swift

Patron with Honors

Edit

Last edited:

TG1

Angelic Poster

J. Swift,

Are you planning to copy here everything Google coughs up about Milton Katselas? This is starting to sound personal.

There are other people on this board who were also deeply loyal to Hubbard for decades and deeply in the bosom of the Church of Scientology during the years Katselas was. These people contributed significantly to Scientology's growth and benefited financially, socially, and reputationally from their contributions and closeness to the cult.

The major difference between them and Katselas is that they can still clean up and curate their reputations. But he's dead and can't.

TG1

Last edited:

J. Swift

Patron with Honors

TG1, LRH also can't defend himself because he is quite dead and yet... he is still attacked each and every day and so I don't see your point here.

I would have been very happy to let sleeping dogs lie and Milton remain in the past.

However, there is a reason I have for posting documentation that, I hope, will never be needed. This thread is just a place I am parking documentation for others to read.

TG1

Angelic Poster

TG1, LRH also can't defend himself because he is dead and yet... he is still attacked each and every day and so I don't see your point here.

I would have been very happy to let sleeping dogs lie and Milton remain in the past.

However, there is a reason I have for posting documentation that, I hope, will never be needed. This thread is just a place I am parking documentation for others to read.

One of your posts above, which you deleted, said, “… Katselas was a two-faced liar.” Sounds to me like this is personal for you.

Were you and Karen the "top ex-Scientologists" who were Steven Mango's sources regarding Milton Katselas?

TG1

CO2

Patron Meritorious

One of your posts above, which you deleted, said, “… Katselas was a two-faced liar.” Sounds to me like this is personal for you.

Were you and Karen the "top ex-Scientologists" who were Steven Mango's sources regarding Milton Katselas?

TG1

In the dump of posts above by J. Swift, here are some odd points, not related to Milton:

I'm not sure how John Travolta and Giovanni Ribisi have ANYTHING to do with Milton getting FSM commissions or getting either into Scientology.

Joanie Prather got JT in. They were in a movie together. Right now I couldn't tell you what.

Vanni's dad, Al, was in the Sea Org before Vanni and his twin sister (David Campbell's son's wife) were even a glisten in their parents' eyes. Al and his first ex wife joined the SO in 1969, if memory serves me.

I have to say, I'm not thrilled with running Milton down either.

The quote about Tom Cruise getting in "after" marrying his first wife is also untrue.

I have personal knowledge/ observations/ experience, not hearsay, about all of the above.

J. Swift

Patron with Honors

TG1
TG1, you mischaracterized my deleted post. I was asking another poster a question about the implications of their post, thought better of it, and then deleted what was a rhetorical question to someone else. So no, I never said that about MK.

Ever since the legendary MK passed away, there has been a spin going on that MK was never really that much of a Scientologist and that those old rumors that his acting conservatory was, in the distant past eons ago, a "recruiting center" for the Church of Scientology were vastly overstated. MK only ever read a few books and did some basic courses you see....

I could understand why a certain conservatory wanted to distance itself from its past.

However, when Steve Mango made a video exposing how CCI traps young people into the Cult, he mentioned MK and his conservatory in context of the Church and how MK's acting conservatory had been a recruitment tool in the past. There was a "flow line" from said acting conservatory to CCI and MK earned 10% on it. So what?

Mango's comments caused the MK revisionists to engage in unnecessary character assassination of the man. These attacks were far out of proportion to Steve's actual comments.

That is just not right and so yes I got involved. MK is long dead but this young man has his entire lifetime ahead of him.

I chose to defend a very much alive young person by providing historical documentation about the deceased MK in order to rebut the revisionists. That's about it and I hope this matter drops off the radar yesterday.

This all could have been handled behind the scenes with some e-mails or phone calls or less strident criticism online.

Last edited:

Karen#1

Gold Meritorious Patron

TG1

Utter Rubbish TGI
No one had any input to Steve's film. Not even Jeff Myers, his husband. No one saw it til it was released.
This thread would not be happening if Roz Cohn had not gone on a rampage to character assassinate
Steve Mango.
Allen Barton (CEO Bevely Hills Playhouse)is threatening to sue Steve Mango for his 2 minute comment on Beverley Hills Playhouse and Milton K. so Jeff and I are making sure all the documentation that may be needed is publicly posted.

After all, the entire documentary is on Celebrity Center and his experiences therein, therefore mentioning the history of Celebrity Center was in context with the theme of the documentary.

If only Roz had gently talked to Steve or Jeff Myers and used good communication to have it tweeked or some such, rather than scathing attack on multiple websites, there would not have been an issue.

But instead it was ATTACK ! ATTACK ATTACK ! I would defend you TGI in a New York minute as I am defending Steve if someone twittered repeatedly on your LIES and maligned you the way Roz Cohn went ballistic on Steve....

http://youtu.be/iIaZkCN5tu0

TG1

Angelic Poster

Thank you for that clarification, Karen. I appreciate that.

That's truly bad news that Steven Mango may be sued by Beverly Hills Playhouse. I sincerely hope that does not happen.

I strongly agree with what J. Swift said above: "... I hope this matter drops off the radar yesterday." I also hope this matter can be resolved by Steven Mango and Allen Barton to their mutual satisfaction.

Given the threat of litigation, I strongly urge everyone here to restrain themselves from making any further comments that might inflame the situation.

TG1

The Sloth

Patron with Honors

And now another weighs in: http://scientologycelebrity.wordpre...r-the-lard-ass-and-the-petulant-prissy-petit/

I haven’t seen Steven Mango’s doc since our Internet is so slow that I could sit & listen to Captain Petit yell at my lame ass for at least 10 hours & YouTube still wouldn’t work right.
But what little I could read here & there I’ll tell you this: the guy was more royally fucked over than most. Nowhere near as bad as Culkin (along with Craig Brockey who’s still sucking Cardone off, both in a league of their own when it comes to how much they spent in so little time), but we’re talking about some regular guy with barely any credit history (if any at all).
So Mangoman, consider getting together with a few others for some serious class action, get your lawyers to dig deeper, and Miscarriage will give you every single cent plus more & make Culkin’s deal look like pennyante sour grapes — BECAUSE RTC IS ALREADY KNEE DEEP IN THE BOOKS AT CC INT & IT IS LOOKING VERY ******** UGLY & PAC RPF IS PREPARING FOR SOME NEW FAT ****** ARRIVALS.

Note: extremely rude language at link (NSFW). Sounds like the wheels are coming off the bus, in more ways than one.

Veda

Sponsor

That's truly bad news that Steven Mango may be sued by Beverly Hills Playhouse. I sincerely hope that does not happen.

I strongly agree with what J. Swift said above: "... I hope this matter drops off the radar yesterday." I also hope this matter can be resolved by Steven Mango and Allen Barton to their mutual satisfaction.

Given the threat of litigation, I strongly urge everyone here to restrain themselves from making any further comments that might inflame the situation.

TG1

Isn't publicly making the allegation that Allen Barton - who, IIRC, cooperated with both Tony Ortega and Lawrence Wright in providing information critical of Scientology Inc. - is threatening to sue, etc. inflaming the situation even further?

Isn't attempting to stifle discussion, now, locking the barn door after the horse has bolted?

I hardly think that others adding comments or information will make the situation any worse.

Let's hope whatever difficulties - if there are real difficulties - are resolved.

CO2

Patron Meritorious

TG1, you mischaracterized my deleted post. I was asking another poster a question about the implications of their post, thought better of it, and then deleted what was a rhetorical question to someone else. So no, I never said that about MK.

Ever since the legendary MK passed away, there has been a spin going on that MK was never really that much of a Scientologist and that those old rumors that his acting conservatory was, in the distant past eons ago, a "recruiting center" for the Church of Scientology were vastly overstated. MK only ever read a few books and did some basic courses you see....

I could understand why a certain conservatory wanted to distance itself from its past.

However, when Steve Mango made a video exposing how CCI traps young people into the Cult, he mentioned MK and his conservatory in context of the Church and how MK's acting conservatory had been a recruitment tool in the past. There was a "flow line" from said acting conservatory to CCI and MK earned 10% on it. So what?

Mango's comments caused the MK revisionists to engage in unnecessary character assassination of the man. These attacks were far out of proportion to Steve's actual comments.

That is just not right and so yes I got involved. MK is long dead but this young man has his entire lifetime ahead of him.

I chose to defend a very much alive young person by providing historical documentation about the deceased MK in order to rebut the revisionists. That's about it and I hope this matter drops off the radar yesterday.

This all could have been handled behind the scenes with some e-mails or phone calls or less strident criticism online.

It's funny how "Johnny Come Lately"s like to re edit history.

I was listening to KQED , the NPR outlet in San Francisco, the other day. Some music writers were commenting that San Francisco started attracting daring musicians and songwriters in the 1970s.

It just blew me away that these kids could use words like "psychedelic" in one sentence, and ignore Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Haight Ashbury, Bill Graham, the Fillmore, etc. in their next breath.

FWIW, I first met Milton at the AO on Westlake in 1973. We twinned and talked the whole night.

His business and creative partner, in the formation of the BHP, Richard Forbes, was the Host at CC. Richard had an uncle, who was a saloon singer from Hoboken, New Jersey, who had been pretty popular with the bobby socks set. The uncle also had a number one hit single with his daughter, it was something stupid. Richard's widow (long since remarried) is one of my best friends.

Furthermore, a family member, who was a Class Vlll, took acting lessons from Milton in 1982. Within a month or two she was working on Magnum, P.I. She never looked back. But, while taking courses at Milton's, she did meet and befriend a future Congressman from Palm Springs, who did get involved with Scientology. The BHP was always a conduit into Scientology.

If the new management is serious about a lawsuit, they are nuckin' futs. No way could they do anything, but look stupid and vindictive.

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader

TG1

LOL, not at you or anybody else.

But to sue somebody, one needs "cause of action" to sue.

"In the law, a cause of action is a set of facts sufficient to justify a right to sue to obtain money, property, or the enforcement of a right against another party.[SUP][1][/SUP] "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cause_of_action

Hey Steve and your partner,

you got any money or property? LOL

so they sue you, and then you say "sorry, I won't let it happen again. :laugh:

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Veda

Sponsor

-snip-

LRH also can't defend himself because he is quite dead and yet... he is still attacked each and every day

-snip-

Hubbard is "attacked," critiqued, and dissected for good reason.

Excerpts from the 20 June 1984 findings of Judge Breckenridge:

As indicated by its factual findings, the court finds the testimony of Gerald and Joycelyn Armstrong, Laurel Sullivan, Nancy Dincalcis, Edward Walters, Omar Garrison, Kima Douglas, and Howard Schomer to be credible, extremely persuasive... In all critical and important matters their testimony was precise, accurate and rang true...

The organization clearly is schizophrenic and paranoid, and this bizarre combination seems to be a reflection of its founder LRH. The evidence portrays a man who has been virtually a pathological liar when it comes to his history, background and achievements.

The writings and documents in evidence additionally reflect his egotism, greed, avarice, lust for power, and vindictiveness and aggressiveness against persons perceived by him to be disloyal or hostile.

At the same time it appears that he is charismatic and highly capable of motivating, organizing, controlling, manipulating, and inspiring his adherents...

Obviously, he is and was a very complex person, and that complexity is further reflected in his alter-ego, the Church of Scientology...

AnonKat

Crusader

http://www.bible.ca/scientology-judges.htm

The Church Of Scientology

What Judges and others have said about Scientology!

"Scientology is evil; its techniques are evil; its practice is a serious threat to the community, medically, morally, and socially; and its adherents are sadly deluded and often mentally ill... (Scientology is) the world's largest organization of unqualified persons engaged in the practice of dangerous techniques which masquerade as mental therapy." (Justice Anderson, Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia)
"The government is satisfied that Scientology is socially harmful. It alienates members of families from each other and attributes squalid and disgraceful motives to all who oppose it; its authoritarian principles and practice are a potential menace to the personality and well being of those so deluded as to become followers; above all, its methods can be a serious danger to the health of those who submit to them... There is no power under existing law to prohibit the practice of Scientology; but the government has concluded that it is so objectionable that it would be right to take all steps within its power to curb its growth." (Kenneth Robinson, British Minister of Health )
"The crime committed by these defendants is of a breath and scope previously unheard of. No building, office, desk, or file was safe from their snooping and prying. No individual or organization was free from their despicable conspiratorial minds. The tools of their trade were miniature transmitters, lock picks, secret codes, forged credentials and any other device they found necessary to carry out their conspiratorial schemes." -Federal prosecutor's memorandum to the judge urging stiff jail sentences for 9 top leaders of Scientology who had pleaded guilty to criminal charges" "Scientology is both immoral and socially obnoxious...It is corrupt sinister and dangerous. It is corrupt because it is based on lies and deceit and has its real objective money and power for Mr. Hubbard... It is sinister because it indulges in infamous practices both to its adherents who do not toe the line unquestionably and to those who criticize it or oppose it. It is dangerous because it is out to capture people and to indoctrinate and brainwash them so they become the unquestioning captives and tools of the cult, withdrawn from ordinary thought, living, and relationships with others." (Justice Latey, ruling in the High Court of London)
"[The court record is] replete with evidence [that Scientology] is nothing in reality but a vast enterprise to extract the maximum amount of money from its adepts by pseudo scientific theories... and to exercise a kind of blackmail against persons who do not wish to continue with their sect.... The organization clearly is schizophrenic and paranoid, and this bizarre combination seems to be a reflection of its founder, L.Ron Hubbard." (Judge Breckenridge, Los Angeles Superior Court)
"In January 1980, fearing a raid by law enforcement agencies, Hubbard's representatives ordered the shredding of all documents showing that Hubbard controlled Scientology organizations, finances, personnel, or the property at Gilman Hot Springs. In a two week period, approximately one million pages were shredded pursuant to this order." (California appellate court, 2nd. district, 3rd. division, July 29, 1991, B025920 & B038975, Super. Ct. No. C 420153 )
"It is common knowledge among senior executives of the organization and it is the policy of CSC that members of the Boards of Directors are mere figureheads, without authority or control, not for internal corporate reasons, but rather to vest control in Mr. Hubbard. I have personal knowledge that in order to carry out this corporate fraud, organizational executives have engaged in the various unethical practices including backdating phony Board minutes and forging signatures." (Affidavit of Gerry Armstrong, former member)
"When a person is subjected to coercive persuasion [as in Scientology] without his knowledge or consent ...[he may] develop serious and sometimes irreversible physical and psychiatric disorders, up to and including schizophrenia, self-mutilation, and suicide." (California Supreme Court, United States v. Lee [455 U.S. 252,257,258 (1982)*/)
"The dispute in this case surrounds Lerma's acquisition and publication on the Internet of texts that the Church of Scientology considers sacred and protects heavily from unauthorized disclosure. Founded by L. Ron Hubbard, the Scientology religion attempts to explain the origin of negative spiritual forces in the world and advances techniques for improving one's own spiritual well-being. Scientologists believe that most human problems can be traced to lingering spirits of an extraterrestrial people massacred by their ruler, Xenu, over 75 million years ago. These spirits attach themselves by "clusters" to individuals in the contemporary world, causing spiritual harm and negatively influencing the lives of their hosts ". USDJ Judge Leonie Brinkema 4 Oct 96 Memorandum Opinion, RTC vs Lerma ("...capable of such danger that the public interest demands that people should know what is going on" LORD DENNING)
"It is an organization with medical, social and ethical practices that are dangerous and harmful," "It claims to act freely so as to draw members who subsequently undergo ... brainwashing by dictated ways of thinking that limit reaction capabilities." (Judge Constandia Angelaki wrote in her [December 1996] ruling.)
"[The court record is] replete with evidence [that Scientology] is nothing in reality but a vast enterprise to extract the maximum amount of money from its adepts by pseudo scientific theories... and to exercise a kind of blackmail against persons who do not wish to continue with their sect. [...]In addition to violating and abusing its own members civil rights, the organization over the years with its 'Fair Game' doctrine has harassed and abused those persons not in [Scientology] whom it perceives as enemies. The organization clearly is schizophrenic and paranoid, and this bizarre combination seems to be a reflection of its founder [L. Ron Hubbard]. The evidence portrays a man who has been virtually a pathological liar when it comes to his history, background and achievements. The writings and documents in evidence additionally reflect his egoism, greed, avarice, lust for power, and vindictiveness and aggressiveness against persons perceived by him to be disloyal or hostile." (Judge Paul G. Breckenridge, Jr., 6/20/84; Scientology v. Armstrong, affirmed on appeal 232 Cal.App.3rd 1060, 283 Cal.Rptr. 917.)
"It is an organization with medical, social and ethical practices that are dangerous and harmful [...]In some countries, this organization presents itself as religion (CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY in Greece however as Centre of Applied Philosophy - KEPHE). There is no, as results from foreign Court decisions and Press articles, a presentation of Scientology in the world with uniform directions and similar goals. It sometimes appears under the cover of religious movement in order to receive constitutional protection and enjoy the advantages of 'religion' such as tax and currency easing." ... "The 'Centre of Applied Philosophy' operates under the cover of philosophic Association, it does not have religious character (as its BoD President stated in the 8.6.95 document to the Holy Synod of the [Orthodox] Church of Greece, signed by the then BoD President, mentioning that it is not a religion. However, since 1995 it arbitrarily and in a way contrary to the public morals, started declaring that it is a religion, in order to present itself persecuted because of its members' religious beliefs". (Judge Constandia Angelaki, December 1996, Greece, Attiki Prefecture vs KEPHE (Scientology in Greece) No. 7380/1996; Verdict dissolves the organization)
" The members are praised, in writing, for conducting unethical or criminal actions. [...]The most important, however, is that the Center is maintaining a Department of Special Affairs and Office of Special Affairs, which conduct monitoring of people and report their movements to unidentified centers abroad." (Judge Ioannis Angelis, Oct 1995, re: Raid on Scientology center (KEFE) in Greece)
"She is especially praised because she managed to bring to KEFE the KIP Report... and consequently offered to the International Administration a vital product, which considerably contributes in handling the suppressive elements in Greece and abroad." (Document dated Feb 23, 1993 seized in raid upon Dept. of Special Affairs Office in Greece in 1995, KIP is the Greek Intelligence service, Investigation of espionage is ongoing.)
"L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology, has been quoted as looking upon law as a tool to [h]arass and discourage rather than to win. The law can be used very easily to harrass and enough harrassment on somebody who is simply on the thin edge anyway, well knowing that he is not authorized, will generally be sufficient to cause his professional decease. If possible, of course, ruin him utterly." (Judge Brinkema, U.S. Eastern Virginia District Court, 11/28/95, No. 95-1107-A (RTC [Scientology shell corp.] v. Lerma, Digital..., Washington Post, et. al.))
"The invidiousness of the alleged conspiracy is best reflected in the fact that plaintiff was sued 21 times over the course of a 17- month period in jurisdictions ranging from New York to California.... we hold that plaintiff has sufficiently alleged the elements of the tort of malicious prosecution and, for purposes of this case, the tort of civil conspiracy to commit malicious prosecution." (Chief Justice Freeman, Illinois Supreme Court, 9/18/97, No. 80868; Cult Awareness Network v. Church of Scientology, et. al.)
"In reality the church is a hugely profitable global racket that survives by intimidating members and critics in a Mafia-like manner. [...] Eleven top Scientologists, including Hubbard's wife, were sent to prison in the early 1980s for infiltrating, burglarizing and wiretapping more than 100 private and government agencies in attempts to block their investigations. [...]Scientology has brought hundreds of suits against its perceived enemies and today pays an estimated $20 million annually to more than 100 lawyers." ... "One legal goal of Scientology is to bankrupt the opposition or bury it under paper. The church has 71 active lawsuits against the IRS alone. [...]'In my opinion the church has one of the most effective intelligence operations in the U.S., rivaling even that of the FBI,' (Ted Gunderson, a former head of the FBI's Los Angeles office.)
Foreign governments have been moving even more vigorously against the organization. In Canada the church and nine of its members will be tried in June on charges of stealing government documents.... Since 1986 authorities in France, Spain and Italy have raided more than 50 Scientology centers. Pending charges against more than 100 of its overseas church members include fraud, extortion, capital flight, coercion, illegally practicing medicine and taking advantage of mentally incapacitated people. In Germany last month, leading politicians accused the cult of trying to infiltrate a major party as well as launching an immense recruitment drive in the east." (Richard Behar, TIME Magazine article "Scientology: The Thriving Cult of Greed and Power", May 6, 1991; cases above all resulted in convictions; TIME was sued for slander by Scientology over this article, TIME prevailed)
"Convictions, seized church documents and defectors affidavits demonstrate that Scientologists have already indulged in burglary, kidnapping, false imprisonment, espionage, blackmail, and conspiracies to steal government documents and to obstruct justice." (READER'S DIGEST, May 1980, SCIENTOLOGY: Anatomy of a Malignant Cult)
"He is a fraud and has always been a fraud." ... "My father has always used the confidential information extracted from people during [confessionals] to intimidate, threaten and coerce them to do what he wanted, which often meant getting them to give him money. My father routinely used false threats and [information from confessionals] particularly about crimes people had committed to extort money from them." ... "My father has always held out Scientology and auditing to be based purely on science and not-on religious 'belief or faith. We regularly promised and distributed publications with 'scientific guarantees'. This was and has always been common practice. My father and I created a 'religious front' only for tax purposes and legal protection 'from fraud Claims'. We almost always told nearly everyone that Scientology was really science, not a religion, but that the religious front was created to deal with the government." (Ronald DeWolf a.k.a. L. Ron Hubbard, Jr.; son of L. Ron Hubbard, Affadavit in Schaick v. Church of Scientology, US District Court Mass., No. 79-2491)
"Mr. Hubbard showed up for the divorce proceedings in Port Orchard, Wash.; he had another woman with him that he was supposed to have married during 1946." ... "Mrs. Ochs produced two old newspaper article which gave an account of the divorce proceedings of the second wife. The articles in 'The Mirror' Los Angeles, Calif. paper dated April 23. 1951 page 12, and the 'Los Angeles Times' April 24, 1951 related how Mrs. Sarah Northrup Hubbard, from a Pasadena family, was kidnapped, had her child (Alexis Valery - 13 month old daughter) taken from her by Hubbard and was asking for a divorce." (FBI report of interview with Margaret Ochs (1st wife of L. Ron Hubbard), Inspector W. Beale Grove, Philadelphia District, 2/20/63; Official documents prove that L. Ron Hubbard was in fact guilty of bigamy)
"[L. Ron] Hubbard once spoke about his strategies for 'handling' his enemies. The best way was to, literally, drive them crazy, to use all one's resources to find their weaknesses and hit them hardest where it hurt the most. He said there were few men in history who mastered the techniques to do so successfully. He intimated he was one. [...] A Hubbard bulletin of 5 November 1967, 'Critics of Scientology', states, '...Never discuss Scientology with the critic. Just discuss his or her crimes, known and unknown. And act completely confident that those crimes exist....'
Hubbard policy of 25 February 1966, 'Attacks on Scientology,' ...states, Scientology must respond to attacks by '...attacking the attackers only. NEVER agree to an investigation of Scientology. ONLY agree to an investigation of the attackers. This is the correct procedure: (1) Spot who is attacking us. (2) Start investigating them promptly for FELONIES or worse using our own professionals, not outside agencies ... (4) Start feeding lurid, blood, sex, crime, actual evidence on the attackers to the press. Don't ever tamely submit to an investigation of us. Make it tough, rough on attackers all the way....'
[...]Because of the continued refusal to cooperate, Lyn [Froyland] was rapidly assigned to the RPF's RPF. This was several steps down from the RPF, in the boiler room under the Ft. Harrison hotel building. It was a dark, filthy, smelly place where the huge boilers roared and clanked day and night and where the rats lived. Lyn was chained to a pipe down there for weeks, under guard. She was taken meals and allowed toilet breaks, but no other hygiene. I tried desperately to get her to repent and get out of the hole, but she would not. The longer she stayed in the hole, the less she spoke and the more unwilling, sullen, filthy and feral looking she became." (Hana "Eltringham" Whitfield, 4/4/94, Declaration in Church of Scientology v. Fishman & Geertz, No. CV 91-6426, US Central California District Court)
"On May 19.1973, a New York journalist, Paulette Cooper, was indicted before a federal grand jury on charges of sending bomb threats to the Church of Scientology. In October 1973, in a legal move born of despair, Ms Cooper agreed to take a truth serum test to prove her innocence. It worked and the state shelved the charges. Four years later Ms Cooper was telephoned at her Manhattan apartment by the FBI. They had seized documents from the Church of Scientology and had learned that she had been framed by the sect over the bomb threats and had been the victim of a carefully planned operation aimed at driving her insane or having her gaoled." ... "Ms Cooper qualified as a target of Scientology's dirty tricks operations because she had been an uncompromising critic of Scientology since December 1969, when her first article on the followers of L. Ron Hubbard was published by a British women's magazine. The holder of a master's degree in psychology, Ms Cooper had written a book about the sect, The Scandal of Scientology, published in 1971." ... "The seized Scientology documents show that in the course of their campaign of vilification against Ms Cooper the scientologists: 1. Framed her on the bomb-threat charges, stealing stationery from her apartment to forge the threatening letter. 2. Sued her 14 times, at one stage themselves importing copies of her book to the UK to take advantage of Britain's notoriously tough libel laws. 3. Put her name on pornographic mailing lists. 4. Stole a legal note from her lawyer to gain an advantage in litigation. 5. Made spurious allegations to the internal revenue service about her father's tax affairs. 6. Sent agents to befriend her, date her and spy on her. 7. Wrote graffiti in public places giving her telephone number and address. " (John Forte, former British Vice-Consul in Corfu in book "The Commodore and the Colonels")
"For most of the mission holders, it was their first glimpse of David Miscavige. Security guards never left his side during the evening. Apart from introducing each speaker, he had little to say to the audience. He merely warned them what would happen to anyone who turned against Scientology." ... 'That person's future is black. It is so black I can't even describe it right now. I can't even even find the words to describe how black that person's future is . . . I mean it is really black.' ... "Within a few days, some of them found out exactly what he meant. Eighteen were taken out to the Scientology prison camp at Happy Valley where they joined David Mayo, who had been there since the summer. They were kept for several months before being released." (Transcript of 1982 "Mission Holder Conference" entered as evidence in July 1984 child custody case before Justice Latey, Family Division, High Court, London; David Miscavige is the leader of Scientology since the death of L. Ron Hubbard)
"For 25 years, IRS agents had branded Scientology a commercial enterprise and refused to give it the tax exemption granted to churches. The refusals had been upheld in every court.... "Scientology's attorneys hired private investigators to dig into the private lives of IRS officials and to conduct surveillance operations to uncover potential vulnerabilities." [...] in October 1993... the IRS announced that it was issuing 30 exemption letters covering about 150 Scientology churches, missions and corporations." ... "'It was a very surprising decision,' said Lawrence B. Gibbs, the IRS commissioner from 1986 to 1989 and Goldberg's predecessor. 'When you have as much litigation over as much time, with the general uniformity of results that the service had with Scientology, it is surprising to have the ultimate decision be favorable. It was even more surprising that the service made the decision without full disclosure, in light of the prior background.'" ... "At one time, the church and its members had more than 50 lawsuits pending against the IRS and its officials." (Douglas Frantz, St. Petersburg Times, 3/9/97, "Details of Church's IRS Battle Emerge")
"I also witnessed a fourteen year old boy being locked up in the chain locker of the ship, where he was made to spend the night. The chain locker is a small dark space where the chain to the anchor to the ship is stored when the ship is not at anchor. I witnessed this happening several times to people" ... "Hubbard claimed that the RPF was an act of benevolence on his part to 'rehabilitate' psychotic criminals. Actually, in my opinion and experience, the RPF was a prison camp." (Document written by Monica Pignotti, 9/26/89) "The four-year-old boy could no longer cry. He had been nearly 40 hours in the chain locker of the flagship Apollo and his entire body was aching from his efforts to chip off rust. His knees and hands were raw with cuts and bruises. His voice was raspy from crying, and he was desperately afraid. He was constantly making resolutions to never, never again eat the Commodores telexes--the most recent crime of which he had been accused." ... "Little Tony had entered the chain locker through the tiny manhole that led to it. The metallic sound as the lid slammed shut sounded final somehow. The space was cramped for even his small body, and he was enveloped by darkness. It was wet in there and very, very scary. The chains of the ship's anchor took on the dimensions of a monster. At one point a rat scuttled by him squealing. He was sure he was going to die." [...] Tonja Burden claims that she saw people placed in the chain lockers on a number of occasions at the direct orders of Hubbard. Tonja wrote, in a legal affidavit, years after leaving the Sea Org: 'I saw one boy held in there for thirty nights crying and begging to be released. He was only allowed out to clean the bilges, where the sewerage and refuse of the ship collected.'
[...]Ron Jr. states in a sworn affidavit: 'I have personal knowledge that my father regularly used illegal drugs including amphetamines, barbituates and hallucinogens. He regularly used cocaine, peyote, and mescaline." ... "According to statements made by attorney Michael Flynn, Hubbard, until at least February of 1980, filled out fraudulent 'doctor's' prescriptions for a large array of medical drugs for himself". "Sara Hubbard explained that Hubbard was 'self-medicated,' but that during the five years they were married, she knew of no instances when he used 'street drugs'." "Armstrong, told me, among other things, of a letter from Hubbard to his third wife Mary Sue when Hubbard was in Las Palmas during 1967 at the inception of the Sea Org. This letter is now in the custody of the court. In it Hubbard tells his wife: 'I'm drinking lots of rum and popping pinks and greys.'" "John McMasters told me that on the flagship Apollo in the late sixties, he witnessed Hubbard's drug supply. 'It was the largest drug chest I had ever seen. He had everything!'" ... "It was shown in the Armstrong trial in Los Angeles in 1984 that Hubbard even had blank prescription slips from the U.S. Navy, one of which had a prescription for phenobarbital (a barbituate and hypnotic) written in Hubbard's handwriting." ... "Also, in the Armstrong trial where the "Affirmations" [handwritten essays by Hubbard] were introduced, a letter by Hubbard to his first wife was revealed, the last sentence of which declared: 'I do love you, even if I used to be an opium addict.'" (Bent Corydon, former Mission owner, in his book "Messiah or Madman?")
"Scientology is being planned on a religious organization basis throughout the world. This will not upset in any way the usual activities of any organization. It is entirely a matter for accountants and solicitors." - L.Ron Hubbard, 1970
"I'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is." -L. Ron Hubbard to Lloyd Eshbach, in 1949; quoted by Eshbach in Over My Shoulder.