What's new

We've toned down the hate: Anonymous

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
We've toned down the hate: Anonymous
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=459256

Nine MSN Australia

Anonymous's initial attack on Scientology was highly aggressive — the group collapsed the church's website on January 17 and "declared war" soon after.

Scientology retaliated with a video accusing Anonymous of a litany of sins: abusive phone calls, an anthrax hoax and a threat to bomb churches across the US.

Some of these claims appear to be true, others are more dubious. Certainly, Scientologists in Australia say they have been subjected to abusive phone calls and even break-ins, and can produce some evidence to support their claims.

But after the initial outburst, Anonymous suddenly shifted tactics, at least officially.

"Denial of service" attacks and prank phone calls were out, replaced by appeals to end the church's tax-exempt status in the US and Australia, and claims that Anonymous was aiming to "free" church members.

Scientologists say there has been an "ongoing campaign of hate" against them, but it seems most Anonymous members have kept their activities legal.

This change can be traced to long-time Scientology critics Mark Bunker, who publicly appealed to the anarchic group to tone down its aggressive tactics.

Surprisingly, Anonymous listened, dubbing Bunker "wise beard man" ("his words are wise, his face is beard"). Bunker's image even became a 4chan meme (see main article).

Anonymous has no leaders and no control structure, so it's difficult to know whether individual members are carrying out acts against Scientology that breach the law.

Scientologists in Australia have reported a number of incidents to police, and have kept records of the activities taken against them.

But Anonymous members say the protests against Scientology have been something of a coming-of-age for the group, forcing it to move away from sometimes dubious pranks.

"Anyone threatening, hacking, anything that breaks the law, is not Anonymous," Sydney-based Anon Guy Fawkes says.

"They can claim to be Anonymous, but they give up their right to anonymity once they break the law."

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
I noticed Dear Tommy on CNN used the phrases "hate motivation" and "hate crimes".

Every time a critic on a message board is accused of "hatred" or "Hubbard hating", the poster is playing the CofS's game for them whether they realise it or not.

In my experience anonymous is remarkly free of what Hubbard called "downtone" emotions. They are considerate and they have fun and cake and there are hugs for everyone! :D :happydance:

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Here's an example:

On enturbulation.org, Mrs Lionheart told her story.

An anon replied saying they hoped she had found happiness after leaving and that if she hadn't, the anon would send a happiness greeting to her every week for life!

How unhateful is that? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron
Here's an example:

On enturbulation.org, Mrs Lionheart told her story.

An anon replied saying they hoped she had found happiness after leaving and that if she hadn't, the anon would send a happiness greeting to her every week for life!

How unhateful is that? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's enough to disenturbulate someone, could almost convince me that people really can be helpful :coolwink:

The use of the word hate is more Co$ PR lies. One day their lies will catch up with them.

Tom of Helatrobus

Patron Meritorious
Anon is evolving into a more understanding group. When I went to my first anon picket, I think it was confusing for anons when I told them that most Scientologist are good, well intentioned people. I think they had the idea, from the net, that all Scientologist were con artist. It took some explaining to explain that Scientologist were the VICTIMS of the scam, but also the perpetrators of the scam. It sounds complex, but if it were simple, then no one would fall for it.

Escalus

Patron Meritorious
I noticed Dear Tommy on CNN used the phrases "hate motivation" and "hate crimes".

On the other hand, on Tommy's part, this is just Case on Post. As they tell their staffers - quit motivating off of it and take responsibility for your space.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I think the Anons have done very well. Even in the beginning. They may not have asked for it, but they do have the Ball of Fluff seal of approval.