What's new

Must have valid, current, paid-up IAS membership to attend LRH Birthday Event

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Even today, I wouldn't be surprised to one day discover that certain beliefs I hold true are completely unfounded or ridiculous.

Imagine being a doctor trained as a young man in the 18th century in such techniques as bleeding the patient, the four humors, etc, and living long enough to find out that EVERYTHING you were taught and practiced as a young doctor, was wrong.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
I feel profoundly stupid for falling for this and offering over a quarter of a century and who knows what percentage of my life (on this planet :coolwink: ) to this insanity. Not only did we all commit ourselves with undying devotion (to a greater or lesser degree) but the vice-like, mind grip ruthlessly held us in the thought pattern that there was no other way, that Scientology had all the answers. This was as clear as day.

What? Oh my god. What the hell happened?

I agree we are witnessing the final stage meltdown in the cycle of a con game. Lies upon lies, compounded daily, bring about delusional insanity. How do they keep up?

It is amazing to me that anyone can still function at all within this cult.

Sindy, would you rather be a good person and a little stupid for falling for this con or a really smart, streetwise cynic who never falls for anything but a complete and utter bastard who would never even think of doing something for anyone else?

Because I think that is what it amounts to. Remember how Hubbard always stressed ‘help’ and how this was pushed by all the various (and numerous!) reges – ‘by donating this [insert monetary amount here], you are helping us’?

You stayed in because you wanted to help. People give much more if they think they are helping others than if they were just helping themselves. Hubbard understood this and Miscavige has taken this concept to the insane extreme. If he had an abuse dial, it would go up to 11!

Anyway, that’s how I console myself and I think this is true for the vast majority of Scientologists (ex or otherwise) that I have known.

They clearly don’t keep up. Institutional amnesia is the order of the day. They can’t remember all the promises that were made and broken from the last event, let alone the last year. Like a drug-induced mass hallucination where everything is as The Leadership says it is. If someone tells you different – they are an SP. If your eyes tell you different - this is your reactive mind in restimulation and you need more [insert latest product here] to fix it.

I agree, it is amazing that anyone can still function, or at least survive within the cult. I think those left fall in 2 camps:

1. The successful and wealthy who have just enough common sense to avoid giving it all to the cult but can afford to keep giving regularly, just enough to keep themselves out of Ethics and moving on the bridge (to nowhere).
2. Those living permanently on the edge, either on staff and surviving on subsidies from spouses / parents / benefits / moonlight jobs or public who are permanently in debt and one-step ahead of their creditors, and gambling everything on the Scientology roulette in the vain hope that they will one day win big enough to recoup their losses.
3. The very small minority who see an opportunity to take advantage of these gullible rubes by selling them all those deliciously high-priced books, CDs, DVDs, jewellery, IAS memberships that everyone has to have (and let’s not forget the buildings!), all the while lording it over the masses who are incapable of even understanding just how Ethical and On-purpose they are.

Er, those left fall into 3 camps: -
(Nobody expects the SP[STRIKE]anish[/STRIKE] Outpoint list)

PS Don’t anyone buy the part about me being a good person – I’m a badass, and don’t you go forgetting it! :grouch:

Axiom142

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Imagine being a doctor trained as a young man in the 18th century in such techniques as bleeding the patient, the four humors, etc, and living long enough to find out that EVERYTHING you were taught and practiced as a young doctor, was wrong.

Excellent perspective!

I did a brief bit of searching for obsolete (discredited) medical theories and bumped into this:

I think it is fair to say that future editions of this list will include the mid-20th-century hoax called Scientology--the Theta-Entheta Theory being the source of all human disease and suffering.

Scientology auditing is actually little more than "bleeding" of "negatively charged particles", rather than blood. Absurd quackery! LOL.

Anonycat

Crusader
Excellent perspective!

I did a brief bit of searching for obsolete (discredited) medical theories and bumped into this:

I think it is fair to say that future editions of this list will include the mid-20th-century hoax called Scientology--the Theta-Entheta Theory being the source of all human disease and suffering.

Scientology auditing is actually little more than "bleeding" of "negatively charged particles", rather than blood. Absurd quackery! LOL.

I see some good names for bands in there.

Animal magnetism
Female hysteria
Fermentation theory
Homeopathy
Humorism
Tony Humphreys
Maternal impression
Miasma theory
Pneumatic school
Powder of sympathy
Refrigerator mother theory
Shunamitism
Terrain theory
Wandering womb
Zymotic disease

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
I feel profoundly stupid for falling for this and offering over a quarter of a century and who knows what percentage of my life (on this planet :coolwink: ) to this insanity. Not only did we all commit ourselves with undying devotion (to a greater or lesser degree) but the vice-like, mind grip ruthlessly held us in the thought pattern that there was no other way, that Scientology had all the answers. This was as clear as day.

What? Oh my god. What the hell happened?

I agree we are witnessing the final stage meltdown in the cycle of a con game. Lies upon lies, compounded daily, bring about delusional insanity. How do they keep up?

It is amazing to me that anyone can still function at all within this cult.

I don't think they are functioning inside the cult. I know I wasn't before I left in '91. I was "working" 18-19 hours a day, sleeping for 4-5, 7 days a week, 364 days a year. Meal breaks were 15 minutes when there was food. 16 of the 18 hours were spent trying to keep the body from falling over. 2 were spent on some sort of post activity at an extremely slow pace. Sometimes I never set foot outside of the building for weeks at a time. I think pretty much everyone else was in the same boat.

There were public around but certainly the reach of the org did not include lots of new public. These would have come from Cl V orgs if there had been any, so those orgs weren't doing that crash hot either, with few exceptions such as OC, but those that were doing OK got cannibalized by Sr management so no longer are they effective.

Since GAT, they don't really deliver standard tech, and precious little of the tech they do deliver. NO RESULTS!!!

There was still a bit of reach with things like stress tests up till 2008, when that goofy video of TC was taken down prompting the wrath of Anonymous. Since that time, they went into hiding. Every time they ventured out, someone with a GF mask would show up till they no longer put up stress test tables. They are not allowed to read, surf the net or talk to most other people, even other Scientologists unless their conversation didn't include what they really thought.

Really, who the hell would join up these days?

GreyLensman

Silver Meritorious Patron
I've only attended a few Scientology events and, as best I can recall, no El Ron B'day Parties. The first event I attended was in November 1970. It was billed as a "Special - just from the Flagship with LRH - Briefing."

There was a room full of non-Sea Org Public and one Apollo Flagship rep. The rep. told some stories from the ship, etc., and then explained to the audience that "Earth was a prison, populated by either criminals or geniuses."

Everyone, furtively, looked around to judge the other person in regard to which category he/she belonged. An awkward moment.

By that time, I had already done the (old) Comm Course and the H.Q.S. course, and was planning at working at a summer job to save up enough money to do the Academy levels (audit, co-audit, etc.). I was also reading Hubbard's books, my favorite being the (now out of print) 'Phoenix Lectures'.

At the intermission of this "Special Briefing from Flag," Carla Bazin (spelling?) tried to recruit me into the Sea Org. She had me fill out a Sea Org application form, up to the very last line, where I was to place my signature, agreeing to the billion year contract.

She was persistent in trying to get me to sign that line, and when I responded, with my pantie-waisted dilettante Comm-Course-graduate TRs of "Thank you," and "OK," and refused to sign, she responded with an angry, "Don't use that bullshit on me!" That left an impression, which remained in the back of my mind, an impression which I did my best to deny and ignore for quite a while.

Thinking back, that probably "inoculated" me as much as anything else around at that time, more than reading 'anti-Scientology' books (such as Robert Kaufman's 'Inside Scientology'), more than having smoked pot or having taken LSD, and LSD had not yet been made a dis-qualifier for the Sea Org.

So I stayed a "public" throughout my Scientology experience, and was happily oblivious to many of the abuses for some years. Then, realizing that there was only one me but lots of other people, I began to examine more thoroughly the effect of Scientology on others, and thus began my journey out of Scientology.

I never did thank Carla, the "Don't use that bullshit on me!" Sea Org lady, for the inoculation she unintentionally gave me on that day long ago.

As for regging at that 1970 event, I saw none. However, as I was soon to find out - once the Org realized that I had a little money and was a 'prospect' - there was definitely regging, and very aggressive, relentless, 'unreasonable' regging.

Hubbard's Hard Sell tech was going strong by 1970.

However the mental-healing (disguise) layer was much thicker and more robust then. It was easier to be a naive well-meaning dupe for Scientology in 1970 than it is in 2014.

Then, it seemed as though there was always a new OT level being released, and the mysterious 'Ls' were soon to appear, and who knew? It would be almost another decade before the 1977 FBI raids and not until 1979 that the first wave of damning evidence from that raid became available.

It was during the 1980s that so much previously hidden information re. Hubbard and Scientology became available. It still amazes me that Scientology did not fizzle and disappear by the late 1980s. It should have.

However, as Hubbard noted in his 'Bolivar' PL, once a 'juggernaut' is in place, it's hard to stop. It may not go anywhere, but it keeps going in circles and vibrating. Thirty years of intensive well disguised brainwashing doesn't just disappear overnight.

Now that Scientology has passed through its 'do' phase into its 'have' phase, with no more new OT levels to sell, and only the same tech to sell - endlessly repackaged, over and over again - and now that Scientology has tax exempt status, it has no choice but to concentrate on the basic objective in the first place, circa 1938, and that's to build monuments to Hubbard, and, of course, to get money.

I was told by an SO recruiter, when I said my goal in getting into Scientology had always been to be a better artist, that he believed the world had enough artists and that being p[art of the Sea Org was so much more valuable than that...

I was so glad to have taken LSD once that disqualifier came out - Sorry, LSD." Recruiter: "Are you sure?" me: "yep"