What's new

A Wingnut Does the EPF

Gib

Crusader
PART 4:

Not only were the living conditions terrible, the food sucked as well. Breakfast every morning was oatmeal. Sometimes there would be butter, milk or sugar to put in it. For lunch and dinner, the EPFers ate after the rest of the SO staff, and we would get whatever was left over. Most of the time the cook (who was the wife of the EPF I/C) looked out for us and set aside some extra servings. I had a little bit of my own money and would often buy bags of oranges to share with the other EPFers.

The pay was a real shocker. I was told that SO pay was meager, but I was not expecting less chump change than an indigent person could beg for on the street. My first pay was less than $10 which wasn’t even enough to support my 1-pack/day smoking habit for a week.

It took about 3 months to complete the EPF.

I was well on my way to thinking like a Scientologist (brainwashed).
Then I had to do the CMO EPF which consisted of more manual labor and more enhancement (studying and auditing).
I was the only one from my first EPF group who was going into the CMO, so the manual labor tasks and projects at this point, I did alone.

At least I was able to move into my CMO quarters on the 7th floor which allowed me to take a shower every day. Unfortunately the hot water heater boiler in the building, most of the time was broken down, so freezing cold showers became a fact of life, just like the roaches scattering everywhere when you turned the lights on. My bicycle was relocated out of my room (stolen), half my books were gone. My beautiful tropical fish were dead and half eaten (probably by rats). I was mad, but in the SO you learn to put the 3rd dynamic (survival of the group) first before yourself. A Sea Org member did not own any personal property, it all belonged to the group. I never located my bike or books.

At the crack of dawn I got up to clean all the CLO and CMO offices before all the staff came in and started work for the day. These were located in the top floor of the New York Org building. The big project I got to complete after the office cleaning was in the CMO offices. I scraped the paint off all the wood trim of door jambs and window sills, and refinished the wood with stain. It looked great.

Study time was the same, daily after dinner. The courses consisted of policy about “ethics presence” and “command intention” – in other words, how to be a bossy messenger for the Commodore and/or INT Management. I was going to be posted as the head of HCO (Hubbard Communications Office). During my CMO EPF, I completed the HCO Full-Hat and the very long Jo’Burg sec-check.

Upon graduation of the CMO EPF I was given a very worn and shabby Sea Org uniform, black slacks, white shirt with lapels, a jacket that was a few sizes too big, a white navy officer hat, and a nifty yellow and blue braided lanyard - and so started life as a fully indoctrinated Commodore’s Messenger (a full-fledged Scientology Wingnut) – the elite of the elite, many are called and few are chosen.

Please check out my story about my time later in the SO, aboard the Freewinds – The Foul Air of the Freewinds an Ex-SO Member’s Story

(Informative reading as part of this story – The Scientological Onion…)

Funny, I never thought of what I highlight above as Hubbard called it "enhancement". It's more like

Enhancement is actually like brainwashing, or substitution of prior ideas, concepts,

with Hubbards idea's, concepts, beliefs.

And, guess what, it doesn't involve pain and unconsciousness as Hubbard says about engrams.

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
Funny, I never thought of what I highlight above as Hubbard called it "enhancement". It's more like

Enhancement is actually like brainwashing, or substitution of prior ideas, concepts,

with Hubbards idea's, concepts, beliefs.

And, guess what, it doesn't involve pain and unconsciousness as Hubbard says about engrams.
You got that right! ENHANCEMENT - nice word. :ohmy: Yes, all the basic brainwashing courses are done on the EPF. How about that JoBurg sec check! Right off the bat, get all the dirt on the new cult member (not that I had much at 19 years old, and up to that point led a clean and sheltered life).

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
I made this for the recent photo-bombing thread, but it’s really an appropriate shoop I made for this story (and hopefully worth some giggles)...

attachment.php

hpm1999

Patron with Honors
L
It's so easy for people outside to go WTF? and I'd NEVER do XYZ... unfortunately, it's those who would say that, that seem to be susceptible to that sort of thing. (and no, I'm not going to drag out the studies I've read on this, so everybody spare me the dox or stfu... I'm going off to Netflix some more Louis C.K. I'm in a dark mood, and that guy makes me laugh when I'm like this)

EXACTLY- I do suggest that everyone read works by JANJA Laylich whose books provided excellent insights for me on "how in the WORLD could I have been so stupid"
She makes the point that people of higher than average intelligence (higher IQs), especially those who are idealistic or both idealistic and suffering from some temporary social/financial set back are most at risk to the siren call of cults like CO$>

"Bounded Choice" by Lalich I believe is a must read as is the book "Captive Hearts Captive Minds"- whilst not specifically about CO$ I did find myself literally shouting "Yes this is WHY" when reading both of these books. It really did help me (along with this wonderful Board- THANKS EMMA) stop focusing on "How did I allow this to happen?" and the shame of such.

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
EXACTLY- I do suggest that everyone read works by JANJA Laylich whose books provided excellent insights for me on "how in the WORLD could I have been so stupid"
She makes the point that people of higher than average intelligence (higher IQs), especially those who are idealistic or both idealistic and suffering from some temporary social/financial set back are most at risk to the siren call of cults like CO$>

"Bounded Choice" by Lalich I believe is a must read as is the book "Captive Hearts Captive Minds"- whilst not specifically about CO$ I did find myself literally shouting "Yes this is WHY" when reading both of these books. It really did help me (along with this wonderful Board- THANKS EMMA) stop focusing on "How did I allow this to happen?" and the shame of such.

Thanx hpm1999! Checked out the book from my library today “Captive Hearts, Captive Minds”. Here is a relevent excerpt from the article you linked to:
Most experts agree, though, that whether the joiner is young or old, certain predisposing factors may facilitate attraction to a cultic system, the success of recruitment and indoctrination efforts, and the length and depth of involvement. These factors include:

• A desire to belong
• Unassertiveness (the inability to say no or express criticism or doubt)
• Gullibility (impaired capacity to question critically what one is told, observes, thinks, and so forth)
• Low tolerance for ambiguity (need for absolute answers, impatience to obtain answers)
• Cultural disillusionment (alienation, dissatisfaction with the status quo)
• Idealism
• Susceptibility to trance-like states (in some cases, perhaps, due to prior hallucinogenic drug experiences)
• A lack of self-confidence
• A desire for spiritual meaning
• Ignorance of how groups can manipulate individuals

Yes, when I became interested in scientology and joined the Sea Org, I was definitely all of the above.

Gib

Crusader
Thanx hpm1999! Checked out the book from my library today “Captive Hearts, Captive Minds”. Here is a relevent excerpt from the article you linked to:

Yes, when I became interested in scientology and joined the Sea Org, I was definitely all of the above.

Actually, for me, it was none of those points. I grew up in a non religious, non political family. When I read dianetics, I only wanted to go clear. Then I just sort of continued up the bridge but oh so slowly. Unfortunately I had read all the books and listened to all the lectures so my mind was filled with hubbard's idea's and nobody else's, I had nothing to compare too. You might say I had a clean slate of a mind and it was then programmed by hubbard. But I had my doubt's all along and I never became a fanatic about it. I was "hard sold" by Hubbard alone.

Most experts agree, though, that whether the joiner is young or old, certain predisposing factors may facilitate attraction to a cultic system, the success of recruitment and indoctrination efforts, and the length and depth of involvement. These factors include:

• A desire to belong
• Unassertiveness (the inability to say no or express criticism or doubt)
• Gullibility (impaired capacity to question critically what one is told, observes, thinks, and so forth)
• Low tolerance for ambiguity (need for absolute answers, impatience to obtain answers)
• Cultural disillusionment (alienation, dissatisfaction with the status quo)
• Idealism
• Susceptibility to trance-like states (in some cases, perhaps, due to prior hallucinogenic drug experiences)
• A lack of self-confidence
• A desire for spiritual meaning
• Ignorance of how groups can manipulate individuals

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
Here is a photo of me, off to my first mission to Miami Org in 1986. I was the D/CO CMO EUS (for a very short while because soon after this mission I was sent to the Freewinds because of my drafting/engineering skills). The guy on the right is John De Vries, CO CMO EUS.

Check out my jacket... they did not provide me a proper fitting uniform, so I wore a men's jacket which was a bit too big. I guess they figured that would work because I am tall. :eyeroll:

I LOVE the irony of the airport sign over us - "Security Check" :omg:

attachment.php

CMO EUS-001.jpg

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
I alsoo notice that your hat is different
Good observation AnonKat!

Yeah, like the jacket that does not properly fit, they probably did not have the correct hat either (with the Sea Org symbol on it). I don't recall where they got the hat I am wearing, probably at a uniform store somewhere in New York City (location of NY Org, CLO and CMO EUS).

Jump

Operating teatime
Glad they finally got that hat thing sorted out . . .

:eyeroll:

sorry, but someone had to do it :biggrin:

WrongHat_zps2ea5a770.jpg