What's new

The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Hello,

As difficult it is to me to write a comprehensive way and make it not too much painfull to read,
I would like to introduce you to a wonderfull book I would really had appreciate to have long time ago!

I am presently reading
The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
by Christopher K. Germer

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mindful-Path-Self-Compassion-Destructive/dp/1593859759/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392775094&sr=8-2&keywords=self+compassion

I believe another title would be more appropriate because this book is far more than what the title can suggest.

I am not an adept of Psycho-pop like '' the secret'', nor new-age, neither any Guru like Eckart tolle,
I am more an adept of reading that can touch the heart in a way our own experiences can help us to gain more understanding, love and freedom.

This is what this book is about!

Any true believer in $cientology shouldn't read this book as it could shake the pillars and might undo the $cn program in one's mind. :biggrin:

Christopher K. Germer uses his vast experience in helping people to find their true nature, to grow through their experiences and found a way to integrate modern behavior psychology with true easy, 5 minutes Zen mindfulness mindfull practices to touch our deep nature and strenght to understand our response to emotions, life situations, fear, worried, sadness, and learn to deal with it. Because these are normal emotions. We only need to care about them instead of trying to control them or get rid of them.

In the very first pages, it's incredible how some stuff he wrote coud nailed what was my mistake in my thinking when I came into $cientology - and what entrapped me at that time.

It's not a book of teaching any practice, it's not a book of belief nor a book of learning to Know - there is no secret, no truth
it's a book you leave beside the bed, you read 3-4 pages at night and it open breaches within the mind and heart to reach compassion. It help to overcome the part of the mind with fixed ideas ( $cientology mindset) . Then there is small tools to try and experience to discover who we really are overcoming the little self and opening the heart to love - what he calls self-compassion. I would call it to self-love and care.

I would say this book is a confident, a mother, a friend, a therapist, a guide, and a tool to arose and grow within us the seeds of loving oneself and others the way we are.

That's a wonderfull gift you might give yourself and someone you love.
It's become my number one book to suggest as a self-help book.

You don't need to be in troubles - wether you are fine or not - it can really be a good read and bring some good insight!

If anyone buy it, please, I would love you share your review and discoveries as it would be more readable than mine.

Thank you!
:)

Gadfly

Crusader
I have done much to open up my heart over the past year - something involvement with cerebral Scientology entirely negated.

I love having opened up my connections to the world, to people, to my family, to friends, and to the universe - via my HEART! Interestingly, that is another concept entirely alien to Scientology.

And NO, "ARC" is NOT "heart" and has nothing to do with love.

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hello,

As difficult it is to me to write a comprehensive way and make it not too much painfull to read,
I would like to introduce you to a wonderfull book I would really had appreciate to have long time ago!

I am presently reading
The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
by Christopher K. Germer

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mindful-Path-Self-Compassion-Destructive/dp/1593859759/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392775094&sr=8-2&keywords=self+compassion

I believe another title would be more appropriate because this book is far more than what the title can suggest.

I am not an adept of Psycho-pop like '' the secret'', nor new-age, neither any Guru like Eckart tolle,
I am more an adept of reading that can touch the heart in a way our own experiences can help us to gain more understanding, love and freedom.

Any true believer in $cientology shouldn't read this book as it could shake the pillars and might undo the $cn program in one's mind. :biggrin:

Christopher K. Germer uses his vast experience in helping people to find their true nature, to grow through their experiences and found a way to integrate modern behavior psychology with true easy, 5 minutes Zen mindfulness mindfull practices to touch our deep nature and strenght to understand our response to emotions, life situations, fear, worried, sadness, and learn to deal with it. Because these are normal emotions. We only need to care about them instead of trying to control them or get rid of them.

In the very first pages, it's incredible how some stuff he wrote coud nailed what was my mistake in my thinking when I came into $cientology - and what entrapped me at that time.

It's not a book of teaching any practice, it's not a book of belief nor a book of learning to Know - there is no secret, no truth
it's a book you leave beside the bed, you read 3-4 pages at night and it open breaches within the mind and heart to reach compassion. It help to overcome the part of the mind with fixed ideas ( $cientology mindset) . Then there is small tools to try and experience to discover who we really are overcoming the little self and opening the heart to love - what he calls self-compassion. I would call it to self-love and care.

I would say this book is a confident, a mother, a friend, a therapist, a guide, and a tool to arose and grow within us the seeds of loving oneself and others the way we are.

You don't need to be in troubles - wether you are fine or not - it can really be a good read and bring some good insight!

If anyone buy it, please, I would love you share your review and discoveries as it would be more readable than mine.

Thank you!

Thanks, Lotus...Ill take a look at it sometime. :yes:

Currently, I'm reading The Passion of the Western Mind by Richard Tarnas.

Have you read anything by Stephen Wolinsky, especially The Tao of Chaos?

Face:)

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron

Hey Face, have you read God's Chinese Son?

Hong reminds me of a Hubbard with talent.

Or the Bloody White Baron?

Ungern-Sternberg reminds me of Hubbard with an army.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I have done much to open up my heart over the past year - something involvement with cerebral Scientology entirely negated.

I love having opened up my connections to the world, to people, to my family, to friends, and to the universe - via my HEART! Interestingly, that is another concept entirely alien to Scientology.

You're the first guy I thaught who would enjoy this reading - like being at home!
Shall you take some time with this book, Gadlfly, even though not very soon,
I would really appreciate your take on it.

Thank you!
:wink2:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

Hello Face,

I don't know about the book you mentioned, but I'll take a look!
However my second ''browsing book'' beside my bed is The Dr Wayne Dyer Tao book.
I like to browse a chapter or two to find how much wisdom I don't have yet :duh::biggrin:

Face,

You are the 2nd one here, I thaught of
when reading first pages about this book.

It did help to heal a part of me related to sadness about children and other's suffering in the SO - I could never forgive me about leaving and make disappear the images of flag SO children.

Now I am in the process of recovering all of the very best I did to help people abused before I left and to forgive me I could not save all the children. :unsure:

All this sadness was coming back as at my age, dear ones are leaving this life, with suffering and pain.
I needed to learn to care about my own suffering and let it go instead of supress it as we learned in $cientology.

I'll check your Tao book though.

Thanks

Last edited:

Sindy

Crusader
Hello,

I am presently reading
by Christopher K. Germer

Thank you!

Great Post!

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron

ARC was developed by L Ron Hubbard with the sole purpose to manipulate his victims to gain trust to obtain money and free labor.

L Ron Hubbard was a con man and he codified the CON with ARC!

The Staff "pretend" to have reality with you to gain your trust. I had lived many years of life and had no clue that people "FAKE" their geniune love and care...so I did not suspect it. The LOVE BOMBING felt so good. I thought this group was really different - WOW THESE PEOPLE REALLY CARE!

OMG - what a disappointment to find out it was all about ARC to get stats! :puke2:It makes me want to throw up - to think how this fake-ness does so much damage. The betrayal really hurts!

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
You guys I see the name on this thread already know (from your writings) the spiritual freedom is not the path of loading the mind and mental with a lot of crap - wether it's called new age, religion, buddhism, guru, books...

The way is through the heart - the wisdom and true love seats there., 2 feet lower that the hamster wheels.
Thus this books really adresses the heart (emotions) and not the mind or intellect neither feeding the hamsters in the mental. :wink2:

Sindy

Crusader
You guys I see the name on this thread already know (from your writings) the spiritual freedom is not the path of loading the mind and mental with a lot of crap - wether it's called new age, religion, buddhism, guru, books...

The way is through the heart - the wisdom and true love seats there., 2 feet lower that the hamster wheels.
Thus this books really adresses the heart (emotions) and not the mind or intellect neither feeding the hamsters in the mental. :wink2:

Well, you gave an excellent recommendation so I bought the Kindle version. I shall let you know. :) Sounds like a good read based on all the reviews (and mainly yours).

Gadfly

Crusader
I needed to learn to care about my own suffering and let it go instead of suppress it as we learned in $cientology.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Interestingly, I have unleashed (released) incredible amounts of pain, sorrow, worry, anger and more, NONE of which was EVER "as-ised" despite endless hours of Scientology "auditing" (and much HAD been "contacted" and "addressed"). I come to find out that MOST of what I contacted in past lives was entirely MADE UP BS - of course, a question in my much more useful current therapy/counseling is WHY I chose to accept and adopt various overts and other sordid "past behaviors" as "me". Why did I think so little or poorly of myself to buy into so much of the Scientology nonsense? That is rhetorical as I HAVE found out my own reasons for my nutty earlier life choices.

Freeing yourself from destructive thoughts - I LOVE the notion. And, yes, as I have (also) come to discover, it happens by opening up the amazing possibilities of love, trust, respect, forgiveness and compassion for SELF. :clap:

Once you direct it at yourself, it almost seems to then naturally direct at people and things in the world around you (but it starts with YOU).

These things of the heart are NOT of the "mind". The intellect has little to do with these things.

CO2

Patron Meritorious
No...I'll ad to my ever growing list. :yes:

not to belittle any reading material,

but simply to push forward a white powder, that I have been hap hazardly taking. I'm not very disciplined. This was recommended to me for weight loss.

A friend / off and on lover of over four decades pointed me to a Dr. Oz video on this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKNRWQM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the instructions call for 1/4 teaspoon 3 times a day in a liquid.

I don't measure. I take it in the morning with a banana and some whey and water (blended) and maybe later in the day, in some liquid.

[video=youtube;t08ejaQqWjY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t08ejaQqWjY[/video]

I FEEL GOOD!

Back when I was 14-20 I read loads of Zen, philosophy, etc. I did the briefing course before I was 25. I went Clear when I was 20.

nowadays in my 60s, I want to make each moment count. My dog and I go everywhere together (including Haiti and Ohio). I've got horses to ride. I want to go skiing with my children and grandchildren. I want all my former girl friends to text me and be connected frequently. I want to work with my hands on houses and farms full days and enjoy the depth of sleep at night. If I'm going to watch TV, I'm going to watch Morning Joe (MSNBC) on my computer (with Slingbox) or Magnum, P.I. on my iPad with Netflix. I've (actually, "we've") gotten addicted to Stanford women's basketball. we're regular fans, sitting close to the floor, eating garlic fries, and cheering.

My life has gotten very simple. As Tim Leary said, "Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" I have. The simpler the better.

I don't want to be thinking. If I'm reading, it's for enjoyment, not to make me smarter. I'm nearly done with Lawrence in Arabia. I don't have a Kindle, but I do the kindle app on my phone, computer, and iPad.

Whatever floats your boat.

My boat floats on water, waves, snow, horseback.

I am so done with the way things were or shoulda coulda woulda be.

Sindy

Crusader
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Interestingly, I have unleashed (released) incredible amounts of pain, sorrow, worry, anger and more, NONE of which was EVER "as-ised" despite endless hours of Scientology "auditing" (and much HAD been "contacted" and "addressed"). I come to find out that MOST of what I contacted in past lives was entirely MADE UP BS - of course, a question in my much more useful current therapy/counseling is WHY I chose to accept ad adopt various overts and other sordid "past behaviors" as "me".

Freeing yourself from destructive thoughts - I LOVE the notion. And, yes, as I have (also) come to discover, it happens by opening up the amazing possibilities of love, trust, respect, forgiveness and compassion for SELF. :clap:

Once you direct it at yourself, it almost seems to then naturally direct at people and things in the world around you (bit it starts with YOU).

All things of the heart and NOT of the "mind". The intellect has little to do with these things.

Love you. :)

Sindy

Crusader
not to belittle any reading material,

but simply to push forward a white powder, that I have been hap hazardly taking. I'm not very disciplined. This was recommended to me for weight loss.

A friend / off and on lover of over four decades pointed me to a Dr. Oz video on this stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKNRWQM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the instructions call for 1/4 teaspoon 3 times a day in a liquid.

I don't measure. I take it in the morning with a banana and some whey and water (blended) and maybe later in the day, in some liquid.

[video=youtube;t08ejaQqWjY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t08ejaQqWjY[/video]

I FEEL GOOD!

Back when I was 14-20 I read loads of Zen, philosophy, etc. I did the briefing course before I was 25. I went Clear when I was 20.

nowadays in my 60s, I want to make each moment count. My dog and I go everywhere together (including Haiti and Ohio). I've got horses to ride. I want to go skiing with my children and grandchildren. I want all my former girl friends to text me and be connected frequently. I want to work with my hands on houses and farms full days and enjoy the depth of sleep at night. If I'm going to watch TV, I'm going to watch Morning Joe (MSNBC) on my computer (with Slingbox) or Magnum, P.I. on my iPad with Netflix. I've (actually, "we've") gotten addicted to Stanford women's basketball. we're regular fans, sitting close to the floor, eating garlic fries, and cheering.

My life has gotten very simple. As Tim Leary said, "Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" I have. The simpler the better.

I don't want to be thinking. If I'm reading, it's for enjoyment, not to make me smarter. I'm nearly done with Lawrence in Arabia. I don't have a Kindle, but I do the kindle app on my phone, computer, and iPad.

Whatever floats your boat.

My boat floats on water, waves, snow, horseback.

I am so done with the way things were or shoulda coulda woulda be.

shoulda coulda woulda can just scram. I am glad you feel good! My goodness, if people keep posting Amazon product links I will never get anything done. Amazon, please have mercy on my soul. LOL...Just kidding but, I love Amazon (maybe too much).

afaceinthecrowd

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hello Face,

I don't know about the book you mentioned, but I'll take a look!
However my second ''browsing book'' beside my bed is The Dr Wayne Dyer Tao book.
I like to browse a chapter or two to find how much wisdom I don't have yet :duh::biggrin:

Face,

You are the 2nd one here, I thaught of
when reading first pages about this book.

It did help to heal a part of me related to sadness about children and other's suffering in the SO - I could never forgive me about leaving and make disappear the images of flag SO children.

Now I am in the process of recovering all of the very best I did to help people abused before I left and to forgive me I could not save all the children. :unsure:

All this sadness was coming back as at my age, dear ones are leaving this life, with suffering and pain.
I needed to learn to care about my own suffering and let it go instead of supress it as we learned in $cientology.

I'll check your Tao book though.

Thanks

Ah, the SO children...To this day my Heart weighs heavy for those children.:bigcry:

IMHO, the most vile and contemptible "Legacy" of El Ron was the negation, exploitation and dehumanization of those children.

You did nothing wrong. Your were being used, leached and corrupted.

You'll never know how much "light" you brought into those children's lives but, I assure you all most all of them remember, most of them know and many are better off today, and into the future, for it. :yes::console:

Last edited:

Gadfly

Crusader
Love you. :)

I love you too! And, pretty much everyone else who appears in my space! :heartflower:

I had BURIED my emotions in Scientology. I have released most of the "bad" ones (anger, hatred, sorrow), through OTHER PRACTRICES, and am now happily FREE to feel and express the NICE ONES (joy, admiration, love, happiness, for self and others).

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Well, you gave an excellent recommendation so I bought the Kindle version. I shall let you know. :) Sounds like a good read based on all the reviews (and mainly yours).

Oh!
I am very much happy you did!
Enjoy it and and tell us if you also have the feeling of a friend talking to your heart.

I will stay tune for your input as you move through the book and will give a readable and comprehensive input!:)

Have a good read Sindy!

:thumbsup: