What's new

Scientology clergy force a mother to choose: son or daughter

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Another great article.
A heartbreaking example of disconnection that cannot be whitewashed. Get your tissues handy.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...ce-a-mother-to-choose-son-or-daughter/2170325 (with powerful video)

The Church of Scientology pressured Sara Goldberg for months to kick her son out of her life. She wouldn't do it. So the church put her on trial one night in a Scientology building in Clearwater. It was scary. Goldberg cried. She had been a devoted Scientologist for 36 years. Now her church was accusing her of committing a crime against Scientology — not "disconnecting'' from her renegade son. Goldberg had raised Nick Lister as a Scientologist. But in 2009, he befriended an ally of church whistle blowers. That made him a threat in the eyes of the church. At her trial, Goldberg felt trapped. If she didn't cut off contact with Nick, the church could label her a "suppressive person,'' someone to be shunned. Her grown daughter Ashley, a loyal Scientologist, likely would abandon her. "You're giving me Sophie's choice,'' Sara Goldberg said, sobbing. Son or daughter.

Last edited:

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
I wonder how many times DM watches & applauds this scene from 'Sophie's Choice'? :angry:

[video=youtube;DZ9bht5H2p4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ9bht5H2p4[/video]

Wants2Talk

Silver Meritorious Patron
This shit needs to be made into a movie ... better yet - an opera - a friggin rock opera! We must write some more songs.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
scientology: the road to hell or whatever ruinous place you may call it. I am so glad Lister didn't go through with it....twice.. It is so sad that so many scientologists who are in really do not know of how their 'church' is causing soooooooo many to suffer. They are shoveled bullshit PR about expansion and success, but the truth is called Entheta and therefore they can not look at the truth...:bigcry::angry: Pure mind control.

JustSheila

Crusader
This is outrageous. :angry:

My heartfelt sympathies. The cold, callous, cruel actions of this heartless Cult of Scientology has absolutely no limits.

At least mother and daughter know they love each other. May that love help the daughter see her priorities in a more balanced way so she walks out from under the shackles of this psychotic organisation and may their entire family be together and free soon!

Hugs to all. My best hopes and thoughts are with you.

MissWog

I'm just overwhelmed by this story..I needed to read the details of disconnection and how it goes down, step by step..we need more of these in print!

While the entire article is heart breaking..actually reading these lines was MIND BLOWING: these people live in Florida NOT North Korea!

• At week's end — Saturday, June 9, 2012 — Sheldon was in his fifth straight day of making amends for unauthorized media reading.

• [Lister] He started peeking at coverage of Scientology on the Internet. The church forbids that.

• Sara asked Ashley to walk around the block. She told her daughter about Cook's testimony and other reports of abuse. You're reading the Internet! Ashley exclaimed.

Let me clarify I knew this happens and these are the rules but to read this first hand account is powerful!

Last edited:

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Another great article.
A heartbreaking example of disconnection that cannot be whitewashed. Get your tissues handy.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...ce-a-mother-to-choose-son-or-daughter/2170325 (with powerful video)
From the article:

disconnection-letter-from-scientology.jpg

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I'm just overwhelmed by this story..I needed to read the details of disconnection and how it goes down, step by step..we need more of these in print!

While the entire article is heart breaking..actually reading these lines was MIND BLOWING: these people live in Florida NOT North Korea!

• At week's end — Saturday, June 9, 2012 — Sheldon was in his fifth straight day of making amends for unauthorized media reading.

• [Lister] He started peeking at coverage of Scientology on the Internet. The church forbids that.

• Sara asked Ashley to walk around the block. She told her daughter about Cook's testimony and other reports of abuse. You're reading the Internet! Ashley exclaimed.

Let me clarify I knew this happens and these are the rules but to read this first hand account is powerful!

I know it seems unbelievable, but it is exactly how it is and has always been.

And the person who disconnected will tell other people "We had an argument, I have the right not to communicate" or "They ATTACKED MY CHURCH/RELIGION!" despite "my church/religion" being something their parents also had and raised them in originally! They actually BELIEVE that justifies it all. It's a 'thought stopper' so they can avoid the true pain caused to themselves and their families/friends.

Disconnection is one of my hobby horses as I and so many people I know live with it daily. :grouch:

This is a really good example and it's great that it is so well documented and out in the open.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
She was a "devoted Scientologist for 36 years" and didn't think that disconnection would ever happen to her? WTF. Did she think it was OK for everybody else?

So true. If you are lurking - please, just walk out the door. Take your entire family with you. Do you not think this will happen to you? If you have family in the cult of Scientology - it is Russian roulette and your family members are the bullets...you never know who is going to LOOK at the internet and once they do - they are so out of Scientology. So - make it easy on yourself now and just get out! The family unit is the most important unit you have - protect it - it is the only group that will care about your life....the Church certainly does not!!

Wants2Talk

So true. If you are lurking - please, just walk out the door. Take your entire family with you. Do you not think this will happen to you? If you have family in the cult of Scientology - it is Russian roulette and your family members are the bullets...you never know who is going to LOOK at the internet and once they do - they are so out of Scientology. So - make it easy on yourself now and just get out! The family unit is the most important unit you have - protect it - it is the only group that will care about your life....the Church certainly does not!!

I never thought it would happen to me. It did - 3 kids, that I had raised while mom was off doing her bridge.