What's new

Scientology clergy force a mother to choose: son or daughter

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Scientology denies mother permission to see son after son threatens to commit suicide

Scientology denies mother permission to see son after son threatens to commit suicide

Posting picture again to add some necessary context. Think about this.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...-no-choice-but-to-disconnect-from-son/2170293
Scientology denies it orders disconnection. This letter undermines that claim. In June 2012, a few days after Nick Lister threatened suicide, his mother, Sara Goldberg, wrote Mike Ellis asking for permission to stay connected to Lister, a supressive person. She said he needed her. Ellis' reply is clear: No.
disconnection-letter-from-scientology.jpg

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Going "full inarticulate" here:

Just fuck disconnection! Just fuck it! The misery, the suffering it causes is beyond words!

The sooner this cult dissolves into the history books the better!

Scientology is a fake mind-controlling scam!

Wants2Talk

Silver Meritorious Patron
Going "full inarticulate" here:

Just fuck disconnection! Just fuck it! The misery, the suffering it causes is beyond words!

The sooner this cult dissolves into the history books the better!

Scientology is a fake mind-controlling scam!

We need a Million-Mom March!

JGB

Patron
Another great article.
A heartbreaking example of disconnection that cannot be whitewashed. Get your tissues handy.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/scient...ce-a-mother-to-choose-son-or-daughter/2170325 (with powerful video)

It is heart breaking but they are both OT8s! They should have seen this coming.

When my wife was routing out of OSA I was called in to see her Commanding Officer. She wanted me to convince my wife to stay. Little did she know I hated what Scientology has become and I freaking hated LA. At first she was nice and said " If she leaves she will be in treason." I responded "Yes I know." Then I was asked what I thought about it. I said " It is her choice and if she wants out, let her out." Then she threatened me and said "you will be in treason too because you're connected to her." I just looked at her and said "SO!" "Are you not worried that you will not have eternity?" she asked. I just looked at her and said " We are all eternal and nobody can take that away. I am leaving because I have other things to do." I walked out and two days later she was routed out of the sea org.

My point is this: The sea org, class 4 orgs, OTs, DM, Scietologists, etc., etc., are POWERLESS if you don't care what they think.

I'm just overwhelmed by this story..I needed to read the details of disconnection and how it goes down, step by step..we need more of these in print!

While the entire article is heart breaking..actually reading these lines was MIND BLOWING: these people live in Florida NOT North Korea!

• At week's end — Saturday, June 9, 2012 — Sheldon was in his fifth straight day of making amends for unauthorized media reading.

• [Lister] He started peeking at coverage of Scientology on the Internet. The church forbids that.

• Sara asked Ashley to walk around the block. She told her daughter about Cook's testimony and other reports of abuse. You're reading the Internet! Ashley exclaimed.

Let me clarify I knew this happens and these are the rules but to read this first hand account is powerful!

Yeah, it's good to see the step by step procedures. I think the media and public used to be satisfied with far less than that but now everyone has enough background info and interest to want to spend time reading details they might not have wanted before. The public are ready for a full on movie about the lives of scientology families, IMO>

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
I'm just overwhelmed by this story..I needed to read the details of disconnection and how it goes down, step by step..we need more of these in print!

While the entire article is heart breaking..actually reading these lines was MIND BLOWING: these people live in Florida NOT North Korea!

• At week's end — Saturday, June 9, 2012 — Sheldon was in his fifth straight day of making amends for unauthorized media reading.

• [Lister] He started peeking at coverage of Scientology on the Internet. The church forbids that.

• Sara asked Ashley to walk around the block. She told her daughter about Cook's testimony and other reports of abuse. You're reading the Internet! Ashley exclaimed.

Let me clarify I knew this happens and these are the rules but to read this first hand account is powerful!

For a year I worked at Social Coordination, International (SOCO INT, now referred to as ABLE). It was 27 years ago, during which time Sara worked there as well. While she wasn't someone I worked closely with, I greatly admired her (and her work) and this story was very difficult for me to see, particularly the video.

No human being should be put into the position she was; being pressured to disconnect from your own child.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
She was a "devoted Scientologist for 36 years" and didn't think that disconnection would ever happen to her? WTF. Did she think it was OK for everybody else?

I gotta say.

This exact same thing goes through my mind whenever I read or hear about this stuff.

And that includes Leah Remini.

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
Although Styron's novel is among the best I've ever read, and I saw the movie, I forgot the details of Sophie's choice. I read it in 1982, the year the movie came out but I forget a lot, so, here was the choice, as summarized in Wiki:

"Upon arrival at Auschwitz, she was forced to choose which one of her two children would be gassed and which would proceed to the labor camp. To avoid having both children killed, she chose her son, Jan, to be sent to the children's camp, and her daughter, Eva, to be sent to her death."

So, although Sara's choice was not exactly like Sophie's, in that both Sara's children wouldn't die if she didn't choose, it was a very apt analogy. Sara must have realized that her son's life would be at risk, if she chose Scientology and staying close to her daughter and disconnecting from him. For Scientology to impose this on her was horrific though.

It also made me think, if she didn't have the Internet would she have made this same choice? So, the very thing that is supposed to be so "entheta" actually may have saved her son's life. He needed her support at that time.

Sara's daughter Ashley was in the Sea Org from 16 to 19 and then "came home" to marry a second generation clam. So, I take it Ashley is not in the Sea Org anymore.

The choice wouldn't be quite as difficult to make as it was for the fictional Sophie, since daughter Ashley had the clam husband and his family to contend with, whereas the son needed them. I think she made the right choice, in that the daughter is in a more stable situation and may awaken in time and didn't need her.

Sara's pain is probably intensified knowing that she and her husband(s) are responsible for raising their children in this cult and that in the end her OTVIII powers were useless, and she had to rely on common sense and compassion -- the latter which Hubbard didn't preach and the cult seldom practices.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Scientology clergy force a mother to choose: son or daughter - NY Daily News

The New York Daily News (byline Beth Stebner) just picked-up the story. :thumbsup:

Florida woman claims the Church of Scientology forced her to choose between her son and her daughter

Sara Goldberg, 63, was a Scientologist for nearly four decades. When her son befriended anti-Scientology whistleblowers, she was told to disconnect from him or lose her daughter, she says.

Link here: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...logy-made-pick-son-daughter-article-1.1722890

JB

Happy Days

Silver Meritorious Patron
Very close to home this whole horrible story ... so heart breaking for the family.

It's my daughter's birthday today, she is 30 and she has not made contact for almost 5 years.

Fiona told she wouldn't make contact until I recant and make it right with the church... and my response was it's never ever going to happen.

Fiona is in the SO at CMO Flag and to some degree I can understand why she demands this of me, it doesn't make it right, but she is totally controlled by her surroundings, she does not make choices/decisions of her own volition, she is driven by full on high octane indocrination. To make an independent decision she would have to break free of the indoc hold and that would take a very brave move and one I don't think she is capable of.

Sadly, Sara Goldberg daughter, Ashley, is not in the SO and yet the same scenario is arrived at. Blind faith is unhealthy and destructive; and unfortunately we placed our children in that mindset by introducing the cults indoc into their lives and adhering to the cults policies and believing it is the only way to live our lives.

Sara is still waking up herself from the indoc and there will come a time, as a parent, when you realise that you had brought this upon yourself by not really looking and continuing to adhere to the cults way knowing in your heart things are not right, destructive to your life and all slanted towards the cult machinery. Then you realised you have been duped and you have sacrficed your life and that of your children for a pie in the sky dream of TOTAL FREEDOM.

Big thank you Sara for speaking out ... and know you are not alone just one of the many suffering the cults evilness.

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Scientology clergy force a mother to choose: son or daughter - NY Daily News

The New York Daily News (byline Beth Stebner) just picked-up the story. :thumbsup:

Florida woman claims the Church of Scientology forced her to choose between her son and her daughter

Sara Goldberg, 63, was a Scientologist for nearly four decades. When her son befriended anti-Scientology whistleblowers, she was told to disconnect from him or lose her daughter, she says.

Link here: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...logy-made-pick-son-daughter-article-1.1722890

JB

Update: Karin Puow (!) responds to the New York Daily News...

Church officials told the Daily News that disconnection is a voluntary practice, and on their website (<--link disabled by JB) the church says they encourage members to have "excellent" family relationships, whether Scientologist or not.

"Any inferences that the Church interfered in the private affairs of this family or any other are categorically untrue," said Karin Pouw, spokesperson from the Church. "The Church of Scientology declines to debate the meaning or application of the voluntary practices of the religion, with the emphasis on voluntary."

Comments are open now @ the New York Daily News site (link above). :whistling:

JB

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP

Update: Karin Puow (!) responds to the New York Daily News...

Comments are open now @ the New York Daily News site (link above). :whistling:

Here's one of the first comments. :)

sheldon_zpsaabd5f6e.jpg

Gib

Crusader
She was a "devoted Scientologist for 36 years" and didn't think that disconnection would ever happen to her? WTF. Did she think it was OK for everybody else?

I reckon when one does the PTS/SP course,

one doesn't do a clay demo of disconnection,

to make it solid and real, and a possibility to oneself of disconnection. Hmmmmmm.

It would be a big clay demo.

That might open ones eyes if one did do a clay demo of disconnection.

I can't tell you how many clay demo's I've done that I said to myself "why am I doing this in clay demo", as I get it already, but some things doing in clay, when I look back, would have opened my eyes to the entrapment.