What's new

On making the Scientology Purification Rundown safe and acceptable

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have done 3 purifs and have had many wins on each one. This program worked for me. If I could I would do the purif program every other year just because when I am done I feel so damn CLEAN and ALERT. :happydance:

The purif is safe as long as one uses common sense. Hell the fist time I was in the sauna I coul only stay in 15 minutes at a time. I would go take a cool shower and then get back in there. Yes it was not easy but it was well worth it. By the time I was done I could stay in the sauna 5 hours straight. I always had plenty of water, salt, and hylands bio-plasma cell salts. I did run out weed, heroin, pcp, lsd, amphetamines, etc. etc.

The medical establishment is agreeing that the body stores toxins in fat cells. I guess Ron the con man got it right and I am glad he did.

We live in an environment steeped in chemicals that our bodies were not designed to process. For a disturbing look at the chemicals that breach the boundaries of our bodies, look no further than the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals . In the latest report, scientists at the CDC found that nearly every person they tested was packing a host of nasty chemicals, including flame retardants stored in fatty tissue and Bisphenol A, a hormone-like substance found in plastics, excreted in urine. (2) Even babies are contaminated. The average newborn has 287 chemicals in her umbilical cord blood, 217 of which are neurotoxic (poisonous to nerves or nerve cells). (3

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/detox-tips_b_1289488.html

You are just wrong on so many levels.

First of all, taking any medical advice from that hive of scum, villany, and anti-vaccine idiocy the Huffington Post is fraught with peril. It's one of the most anti-scientific left-leaning sites I can think of.

Next, you are taking the CDC report out of context. We are not "steeped" in the monitored chemicals, unless you count parts per million or even parts per billion as "steeped". The CDC is monitoring 75 compounds to see if there are any long term health effects to low level exposure. Most of the chemicals tested were captured in trace amounts. For example, perchlorate was measured at about 3.5 micrograms per liter, which is in the parts per million range. The possibility for harm exists, of course, but just because the CDC found the chemical is no cause for alarm yet.

Many of those compounds occur both in nature and in man made environments.

The presence of an environmental chemical in people’s blood or urine does not mean that it will cause effects or disease. The toxicity of a chemical is related to its dose or concentration, in addition to a person’s individual susceptibility. Small amounts may be of no health consequence, whereas larger amounts may cause adverse health effects. Research studies, separate from the National Exposure Report, are required to determine the levels of a chemical that may cause health effects and the levels that are not a significant health concern. For some chemicals, such as lead, research studies provide a good understanding of health risks associated with various blood levels. For most of the environmental chemicals included in the Fourth Report, more research is needed to determine whether exposure at the levels reported is a cause for health concern. CDC conducts and provides biomonitoring measurements for this type of research in collaboration with other agencies and institutions.

Next, you can't just use the generic term "toxins", because the difference between a medicine and a poison is the dose.

And medical science is not validating old Tubs. I've covered the fallacy that LSD and Speed sequester into adipose tissue multiple times. They do not. THC does - but it's one of the few compounds in recreational drugs that exhibit that behavior.

Some true toxins, such as dioxin, do accumulate in fat. Most don't - in fact your example of Bisphenol A most manifestly does not. A few years ago there were two competing theories for why low levels of BPA persisted in the gen pop - either it sequestered into fat, or there were intake sources other than those monitored. We have now accepted the latter theory, since both murine and human studies show elimination half lives of BPA from adipose tissue to be identical to the blood elimination half life - in other words, just because something is lipophilic, and preferentially moves to the fat part of a water-oil mixture, does not mean it stays for a long time in human fat. Human fat is composed of living cells, with various transport mechanisms into and out of the cell. In vitro experiments often show opposite behavior to in vivo experiments. In the case of BPA, the fats cells spit it back out almost as fast as it comes in.

One mouse model concluded:

Terminal elimination of unconjugated BPA from adipose tissue (t1/2 = 7.0 h) was similar to that for conjugated BPA in serum (t1/2 = 6.6 h) and <0.01% of the administered dose remained in adipose tissue after 24 h. These plasma and tissue kinetics are consistent with rapid equilibria and underscore the non-persistent nature of BPA, particularly when compared with slowly metabolized lipophilic organic pollutants like halogenated dibenzodioxins.

Half of the BPA was gone from mouse fat in 7 hours, compared to half being gone from mouse blood in 6.6 hours.

One human study concluded:

Despite the measurable concentrations in adipose tissue, these compounds seem to have a low bioaccumulation potential.

I don't know where you got your data for your assertions from, but it is not in agreement with the latest (post -2009) literature.

The theory of the Purif is fucked. Hell, the cocaine elimination half life is about an hour and a half, and it's almost completely gone in 19 hours. Those graphs in the OP make no sense at all. They were just made up.

The only wins you had on the Purif were escaping from such a risky, benefit-less activity unscathed.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Quite a few Exes cite apparent benefits from doing the Purif. It may be that, despite all the bad science, the regimen of exercise, sweating, diet and, perhaps, some elements of the vitamin and mineral supplement regime benefit some people. I did the LSD Sweat-out Program and 2 x Purifs and for the most part felt I benefited in some ways from all three go rounds.

I did, though, treat myself to a full blood chemistry/organ-function medical check once I'd left scientology.

All OK, as far as they could tell. :thumbsup:

JGB

Patron
As a skeptic, I feel obliged to point something out about purification regimens of any sort:

1) They can be dangerous.
2) They can do no good.
3) They actually reduce toxin removal.

Why do I say this? The majority of handling/removal of toxins is done by the kidneys and the liver. A very small percentage is done by the skin.

These sweaty purification regimens, of which Scientology is only one, leave people dehydrated. This reduces the ability of the kidney to remove toxins. Because very little toxins escape in the skin, and far more toxins would have been removed if the kidney had enough water, there is a net reduction in toxin removal.

Additionally, if people are pushed enough on these regimens, they can die of dehydration. Opera Winfrey once promoted a sweat shop which had an incident where 3 people died.

Be very weary of uncertified medicine of any sort. Be especially weary of any uncertified medicine which involves saunas.

I disagree with you. One has to use common sense when doing any kind of regimen and this includes the purif. I have done 3 purifs and love the end result of each one. I ended up feeling healthier, eye sight improved, night vision returned, thinking more clearly, and never felt so DAMN CLEAN in my life.

The skin does help remove toxins through sweat.

Perspiration: Your skin is your single largest organ of elimination. Make sure you're maximizing the detox potential of your pores by working up a sweat at least three times a week. Of course, heart-thumping exercise that gets the body sweating for 20 minutes, three times a week is ideal, since it confers other health benefits. But, if that is not an option, consider using a sauna, steam or detox bath to trigger the body's natural ability to detoxify itself through sweat.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
"I guess Ron the con man got it right and I am glad he did."
He didn't pioneer this, Indians have been detoxing in sweat lodges for thousands of years. Some toxins are fat soluble while many are not just as some are processed out by the liver while many are not. This has long been known by real medical science, the Fat Fart of Flim Flam only ripped it off to turn a buck. You have to get a blood test done to find out what, if anything, you have an excess of and seek the appropriate treatment for it.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
I disagree with you. One has to use common sense when doing any kind of regimen and this includes the purif. I have done 3 purifs and love the end result of each one. I ended up feeling healthier, eye sight improved, night vision returned, thinking more clearly, and never felt so DAMN CLEAN in my life.

Perspiration: Your skin is your single largest organ of elimination. Make sure you're maximizing the detox potential of your pores by working up a sweat at least three times a week. Of course, heart-thumping exercise that gets the body sweating for 20 minutes, three times a week is ideal, since it confers other health benefits. But, if that is not an option, consider using a sauna, steam or detox bath to trigger the body's natural ability to detoxify itself through sweat.[/QUOTE

The skin does help remove toxins through sweat. Are you toweling off all the sweat or letting it soak back into your pores as you cool off and reabsorbing and storing it in other fatty tissues?

JGB

Patron
The only wins you had on the Purif were escaping from such a risky, benefit-less activity unscathed.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to burst your bubble but the PURIF works and it worked well. I quit doing drugs 10 years before I did my first purif. My first week was rough but on the 4th day I started to run out LSD. How do I know. Well that was the only drug that made me see trails! That lasted for two days and then was gone. I also know that I ran out heroin, speed, weed, tranquilizers, insecticide, & pesticide.

I guess I'm a lucky one being unscathed by such an unworkable program. And all my friends are lucky too. GLTU

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Quite a few Exes cite apparent benefits from doing the Purif. It may be that, despite all the bad science, the regimen of exercise, sweating, diet and, perhaps, some elements of the vitamin and mineral supplement regime benefit some people. I did the LSD Sweat-out Program and 2 x Purifs and for the most part felt I benefited in some ways from all three go rounds.

I did, though, treat myself to a full blood chemistry/organ-function medical check once I'd left scientology.

All OK, as far as they could tell. :thumbsup:

Overall I tend to agree with you. Although I think a 3 way clinical test would flush out the toxic pseudo science, I am not sure I can see taking the risk of including the Purif.

A simpler clinical study comparing a persons normal history diet exercise and water intake and feeling of well being and condition of say the previous 6 months to one with a standardized recommended diet and exercise and water I believe would meet or exceed the results of a purif. I base this on very limited data but I cannot say I noticed any improvement whatsoever from the purif of I think 17 days, yet some years later I did notice a definite improvement by re-establishing a more balanced diet more water and return to at least a mildly active exercise level. I believe those are the key factors and the rest is miss-attributed 'wins'. Oh the later improvements I had did not included any appreciable 'sweat-outs, yet the benefits were strongly noticed.

JGB

Patron

Perspiration: Your skin is your single largest organ of elimination. Make sure you're maximizing the detox potential of your pores by working up a sweat at least three times a week. Of course, heart-thumping exercise that gets the body sweating for 20 minutes, three times a week is ideal, since it confers other health benefits. But, if that is not an option, consider using a sauna, steam or detox bath to trigger the body's natural ability to detoxify itself through sweat.[/QUOTE

The skin does help remove toxins through sweat. Are you toweling off all the sweat or letting it soak back into your pores as you cool off and reabsorbing and storing it in other fatty tissues?

Taking a shower does the trick. :)

JGB

Patron
"I guess Ron the con man got it right and I am glad he did."
He didn't pioneer this, Indians have been detoxing in sweat lodges for thousands of years. Some toxins are fat soluble while many are not just as some are processed out by the liver while many are not. This has long been known by real medical science, the Fat Fart of Flim Flam only ripped it off to turn a buck. You have to get a blood test done to find out what, if anything, you have an excess of and seek the appropriate treatment for it.

He did give the North American Indians credit and also the Northern Europeans. What he added was niacin, vitamins, and all blend oil to it. Funny how medical science didn't come up with it but a flim flam man did. Funny how medical science hasn't found a cure for cancer but trillions of dollars has been spent looking for a cure.

Anonycat

Crusader

About 1% of toxins pass through sweat glands. Sweating does not release toxins. The liver is the powerhouse.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
About 1% of toxins pass through sweat glands. Sweating does not release toxins. The liver is the powerhouse.

Personal in sauna sweat pads and personal shower "septic tank's and towels and personal toilets could capture sufficient evidence. However, I suppose there is enough evidence from other studies already to not require such a procedure. Any suggested reading materials?

Lord Xenu

Patron Meritorious
Doing Purif was the end for me. I just felt more and more ill. I had been a regular gym attendee for years and was used to being in a sauna,taking vitamins etc. After a month on purif I was so ill I could barely function. I was constipated and in huge amounts of pain. In a very important work situation (entertainment related) at the time I really fucked up, my concentration was completely gone and it felt like I was losing physical control of my body. My brain and my body would not do what they were supposed to. I was called in to the C/S and basically told it was my fault due to withholds and being linked to SPs in my family. I left and never went back. Interestingly the relative designated as an SP is now good friends with the very same sci-crims that told me to disconnect from him (even though I told him about this at the time) and doesn't seem to have believed me and does not realise that they are after his money....

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Right. Funnily enough, constipation is probably a rather rare consequence according to most. I've always loved Miss Pert's, "The Cal-Mag Blues". :biggrin:

Lord Xenu

Patron Meritorious
Right. Funnily enough, constipation is probably a rather rare consequence according to most.

I was the only one suffering this out of about 5 doing the purif, I don't remember having a problem with this before or after the purif. Don't understand the reference to 'cal-mag blues'.......

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One

I was the only one suffering this out of about 5 doing the purif, I don't remember having a problem with this before or after the purif. Don't understand the reference to 'cal-mag blues'.......

It's a very amusing song about Life on the Purif and the stomach-disturbing effects of Calmag. It was written by one of the Posters here, Miss Pert. :)

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Funny how medical science didn't come up with it but a flim flam man did. Funny how medical science hasn't found a cure for cancer but trillions of dollars has been spent looking for a cure.

Cancer is not a singular, simplistic disease with one magical "cure". For example, in breast cancer the vast majority of cases, early stage cancer originates in the breast duct and has grown to approximately 5mm in diameter before it is detectable using conventional mammography. Very recent intra-ductal micro-endoscopes are able to detect 1-2 mm size growths 5-7 years before mammography, thus moving the diagnostic window significantly back which allows for a substantially higher rate of positive patient outcomes.

Published studies abound supporting the fact that oncology has made major strides in early diagnostics and therapeutic address, (Example: see article below, referencing the reduction of the number of cancer deaths by approximately 650,000 over a 15 year study ending in 2009)

Cancer Death Rate Steadily Declining
Article date: May 27, 2009
By Rebecca Viksnins Snowden

Cancer death rates are falling steadily, according to the American Cancer Society's annual cancer statistics report,Cancer Facts & Figures 2009, and its companion article "Cancer Statistics, 2009," published in the Society's CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. The drop is driven in large part by better prevention, increased use of early detection practices, and improved treatments for cancer.

Cancer death rates dropped 19.2% among men during 1990-2005 and 11.4% among women during 1991-2005. Cancer incidence rates are also on the decline – they decreased 1.8% per year among men from 2001-2005 and 0.6% per year from 1998-2005 among women.

"A drop of 1 or 2% per year may sound small, but as this report shows, that adds up to 650,000 cancer deaths avoided over 15 years," said John R. Seffrin, PhD, American Cancer Society chief executive officer. "And because the rate continues to drop, it means that in recent years, about 100,000 people each year who would have died had cancer rates not declined are living to celebrate another birthday. That is undeniable evidence of the lifesaving progress that we as a country must dedicate ourselves to continuing."

ACS researchers estimate that there will be about 1,479,350 million new cancer cases and about 562,340 cancer deaths in 2009. For all cancers diagnosed from 1996-2004, the 5-year relative survival rate is 66%, up from 50% in 1975-1977. That increase reflects improvements in both early detection and treatment.

Decreases in deaths from lung, prostate, and colorectal cancer accounted for nearly 80% of the decline in death rates among men, while decreases in breast and colorectal cancer made up 60% of the decrease among women.

Take a look at that last sentence about "decreases in deaths from lung cancer". While medical science has been saving lives, a certain amoral charlatan you are fond of was promoting quack cancer cures such as advising his devotees that lung cancer is caused by NOT SMOKING ENOUGH CIGARETTES.

"Well, there are societies in England that are having an awfully good time fighting the cigarette. They can't do anything else, so they fight cigarettes. And they say that the cigarette causes lung cancer. And they've - you've been hearing something of this, I'm sure. Yeah. Not smoking enough will cause lung cancer. Not smoking enough will cause lung cancer! If anybody is getting a cancerous activity in the lung, the probabilities are that it's radiation dosage coupled with the fact that he smokes. And what it does is start to run out the radiation dosage, don't you see.. But I'd say that would be better than not running out any of the radiation dosage at all and the number of lung cancer cases which exist, of course, that don't smoke are just forgotten by these societies, but they are very numerous."
Source: L. Ron Hubbard - SHSBC 35, 6107C19 (19th October 1961), "Question and Answer Period: Auditor Effect on Meter".

Hubbard's incalculably reckless and harmful medical advice (i.e. malpractice) should have put him in prison. You should really do a lot more research before you exhibit your "knowingness" again in public.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I did a totally standard Purif for three weeks and got nothing out of it at all.

The only moment of light relief was when someone I was with got arrested. We were using a public sauna and someone must have got concerned about this guy constantly popping pills so they called the police.

The cops came and arrested him and confiscated his pills - potassium tablets! It took weeks for them to be analysed and for him to be given the all-clear. Apart from that, the Purif for me was a big waste of time and money but at least it was a novel experience.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Hmm.. Hubbard promises that the Purif will 'wash out impurities from the body'.. So, does tatoos vanish?

Reality shit factor: The human body excretes 'impurities' in shit and piss! - Sweat is for cooling and it works wonderfully. The human species can run for longer time and distance than any other creature on the Earth. That's what sweat is for.. And sweat is only 'impure' if you neglected to bathe recently!

:yes:

shanic89

Patron Meritorious
Sorry to burst your bubble but the PURIF works and it worked well. I quit doing drugs 10 years before I did my first purif. My first week was rough but on the 4th day I started to run out LSD. How do I know. Well that was the only drug that made me see trails! That lasted for two days and then was gone. I also know that I ran out heroin, speed, weed, tranquilizers, insecticide, & pesticide.

I guess I'm a lucky one being unscathed by such an unworkable program. And all my friends are lucky too. GLTU

In the above quote you said LSD, heroin, speed, weed, tranquilizers, stayed in your system for over ten years. My god you are a medical marvel, or you have no clue how the body functions. There is the possibility you are just plain lying. Can you please provide a link to a medical study, one where the persons actually hold medical degrees and don't mind pair reviews, to show that these drugs stay in the human system for that long.