What's new

Is Scientology Racist?

Leland

Crusader
Actually, the term 'wog' was short for golliwog, a racist term for Indians. When they later realised how disgusting this sounded, they invented the acronym as a shore story. The term for this is a backronym, ie, it didn't used to be an acronym, but one was created afterwards to explain it.
I'm afraid Wikipedia disagrees with you. A golliwog was a black African character in an English children's book. Golliwog dolls were extremely popular. There is no mention of wog being a shortened version of golliwog. Though one might think so.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Backronyms are common. But this branch of linguistics is full of false leads. It is highly possible wog is related to none of those stories.

Leland

Crusader
Backronyms are common. But this branch of linguistics is full of false leads. It is highly possible wog is related to none of those stories.

The pics of golliwog dolls on Wikipedia are interesting. Kind of the ELMO doll of that time. Very popular in England.

Gib

Crusader
The cult of Scientology and the cult of NOI both have been on parallel dwindling spirals.

We have here two flailing cults on the brink of extinction as their numbers plummet.

As the COS was experiencing its massive blow-rate in the mid 2000's, so was the morbid membership of the NOI.

It has been guestimated by several well placed sources that the active COS membership in 2014 is an equally diminutive number, if not less.

Two cults in a death-spiral crisis! What to do?

ANSWER: Join forces and [STRIKE]hope[/STRIKE] pray/postulate for the best. In the meanwhile, keep building fancy orgs/mosques, lying and get out of Non-Existence with new whales asap![/FONT][/COLOR]

The cult of Scientology and the cult of NOI both have been on parallel dwindling spirals

Houston, we gots a problem.

Hubbardology vs Allah,

whose in control here.

Hubbard said he was budda coming back in red flaming hair,

what color hair did Allah have?

questions, questions, questions? LOL

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Fuck yeah it's racist! They won't hard sell the NOI. Separate rules...if not racist it's some form of prejudice.

They even have different prices they pay for services. I believe the discount pricing was instituted by the FBO (Flag Bantu Officer).

Hey, Ron is the one that claimed the racist tech about the Bantus' anomalous e-meter reactions, not me, so get off my case! LOL

I. METER ODDITIES
1. There are few exceptions to the rule with E-Meters. They are a study composed of facts which have right or wrong answers and the answers to E-Meter questions are, all in black and white.
2. These are the known exceptions:
3. Some people (a very few in very bad shape) get a rise when they are asked to squeeze the cans. This is a reverse action. It means nothing except they need to be started in low levels.
4. Some preclears , in very bad shape, rock slam when security checked and one can't find what is rock slamming. As nothing clears the slam, they have to be flunked, audited, and tried again.
5. In South Africa a Bantu's withholds read not on the needle alone but on the Tone Arm as well. The Tone Arm goes up as much as two divisions (3 to 5) just before you get off a bad withhold on one.
6. High Tone Arms on anyone (or very low) mean lots of withholds — but they might not be conscious of them all at once. They come off session by session as we run along. …

Last edited:

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm afraid Wikipedia disagrees with you. A golliwog was a black African character in an English children's book. Golliwog dolls were extremely popular. There is no mention of wog being a shortened version of golliwog. Though one might think so.

You may be right. My source was a Kate Burridge, a reputable linguist who ran a 5 minute segment on an Australian ABC TV program called "Can We Help." She talked about the history of this word in one of her segments.

With Backronyms, they are a shore story to begin with, so I am not surprised the shore story is still taken as read by some. My 2 cents is behind Kate Burridge.

guanoloco

As-Wased
I forgot Xenu!

Xenu has been ostracized with LRH hate
What do we really know about Xenu????

Did we ever had his ''side'' of the story???

Also why didn't LRH applied ''forgiveness'' to Xenu as he ''enlightened'' us in ''what is greatness'' :no:

:biggrin:

Someone can channel Xenu????

OK, a couple things here...there is no such thing as forgiveness in Scientology....that's what the conditions are for so you can make up the damage and suffer on up the conditions...it's sort of a scorecard where you can really be the shit and become kha khan or chaka Kahn or whatever the hell and this trumps everything as a get out of jail free but you can only punch it a couple times and then it's used up...a very tit for tat system but no forgiveness... that's out exchange.

Now let's talk Xenu.

This Xenu story is everything down right terrifying to Ron...we have IRS tax audits and being just one nobody of millions in the crowd and hopelessly insane at that (BTs)...this is the stuff of horror to Ron. I guess h bombs and volcanoes must've spooked him too....and DC 8s as in the airplane goals and stuff.

Maybe Ron got all BPCed on planes when he was the first casualty of the Pacific theater and flown home on the Secretary of the Navy's plane?

Being frozen in glycol and alcohol or whatever and dumped in the sea...sort of like the over boarding dramatization.

Leland

Crusader
You may be right. My source was a Kate Burridge, a reputable linguist who ran a 5 minute segment on an Australian ABC TV program called "Can We Help." She talked about the history of this word in one of her segments.

With Backronyms, they are a shore story to begin with, so I am not surprised the shore story is still taken as read by some. My 2 cents is behind Kate Burridge.

I do see that there is debate upon its origin. At least I hope there can be a agreement that WOG is a racial slur and meant as a demeaning term?

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Leland, what don't you understand about this?

I think that the language of the day gave us the name, Golliwog, rather than vice versa.

Before the character named Golliwogg ever appeared in print (circa 1895), the english language already included the colloquial expression "ghuliwog" (dating from the construction of the Suez Canal and its possession by the Brits, earlier in the 19th Century).

At least that's what I've always thought. The term was already in the vernacular and I've assumed that Upton just borrowed it. Of course, I could be wrong, it's happened before today.

BTW, we've had this discussion several times before here on ESMB. There are some excellent posts about the use of the word "wog" in scientology.

To answer your earlier question about Australia; there are a few persons of Aboriginal ethnicity, and many more of Pacific Islander descent, in the CofS here in ANZO but not really a representative sampling relative to population.

Leland

Crusader
Leland, what don't you understand about this?

Before the character named Golliwogg ever appeared in print (circa 1895), the english language already included the colloquial expression "ghuliwog" (dating from the construction of the Suez Canal and its possession by the Brits, earlier in the 19th Century).

At least that's what I've always thought. The term was already in the vernacular and I've assumed that Upton just borrowed it. Of course, I could be wrong, it's happened before today.

BTW, we've had this discussion several times before here on ESMB. There are some excellent posts about the use of the word "wog" in scientology.

To answer your earlier question about Australia; there are a few persons of Aboriginal ethnicity, and many more of Pacific Islander descent, in the CofS here in ANZO but not really a representative sampling relative to population.

All I'm trying to get across is that the term wog is a 100% perjorative word. A slur. And that ALL Scientologists use it among themselves. AND that they learned that word from Hubbard and that it is part of the "secret" culture of Scientology.

I really don't care to research if the letters w o g s were printed on the work shirts of the men that dug the Suez Canal!!!!!!!! What is it that you don't understand Panda ?

Scientology has created an entirely new meaning for the word actually. Derivation of the word or its origin or history is really a derailing and obfuscating ploy. Scientologist use it for anyone that is not in on the secrets of Hubbard's bullshit. To me it was worse than nigger.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Houston, we gots a problem.

Hubbardology vs Allah,

whose in control here.

Hubbard said he was budda coming back in red flaming hair,

what color hair did Allah have?

questions, questions, questions? LOL

That brings up a slight difference between Hubbardology and Allahology. . .

In Islam, it is strictly forbidden to ever graphically depict the prophet Muhammed.

In fact, death sentences have been issued to artists/cartoonists who created an image of Muhammed and they have suffered assassination attempts by multiple assailants intent on murder.

In Hubbardology, it is strictly forbidden to ever NOT graphically depict the profit(able) Hubbard.

In fact, declares and cancellation of eternal life have been issued against staff members around the world who refused to post photos of Ron in all the rooms of an org where they could be applauded.

COMPARISON: Both cults really like Fair Gaming people but they differ on dissemination strategy. Muhammed prefers the low-key, sacred-mystery thing while Hubbard is a Vegas kind of guru who digs seeing himself on massive flashing neon billboards.

WHOSE MARKETING STRATEGY IS BETTER? Scientology has around 20,000 - 30,000 members while Islam has 1,600,000,000.

CONCLUSION: Terrorist suicide bombers are producing much better stats than sending potbellied squirrel busters with headcams. Scientology has really got to up its game!

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
All I'm trying to get across is that the term wog is a 100% perjorative word. A slur. And that ALL Scientologists use it among themselves. AND that they learned that word from Hubbard and that it is part of the "secret" culture of Scientology.

I really don't care to research if the letters w o g s were printed on the work shirts of the men that dug the Suez Canal!!!!!!!! What is it that you don't understand Panda ?

Scientology has created an entirely new meaning for the word actually. Derivation of the word or its origin or history is really a derailing and obfuscating ploy. Scientologist use it for anyone that is not in on the secrets of Hubbard's bullshit. To me it was worse than nigger.

Sure. We know that already, we're mostly Exes, right?
I only clarified my post above because you WTF'd it. I thought maybe it wasn't clear (lol) enough. I was simply referring to the preceding posts about the word "Golliwog".

Leland

Crusader
That brings up a slight difference between Hubbardology and Allahology. . .

In Islam, it is strictly forbidden to ever graphically depict the prophet Muhammed.

In fact, death sentences have been issued to artists/cartoonists who created an image of Muhammed and they have suffered assassination attempts by multiple assailants intent on murder.

In Hubbardology, it is strictly forbidden to ever NOT graphically depict the profit(able) Hubbard.

In fact, declares and cancellation of eternal life have been issued against staff members around the world who refused to post photos of Ron in all the rooms of an org where they could be applauded.

COMPARISON: Both cults really like Fair Gaming people but they differ on dissemination strategy. Muhammed prefers the low-key, sacred-mystery thing while Hubbard is a Vegas kind of guru who digs seeing himself on massive flashing neon billboards.

WHOSE MARKETING STRATEGY IS BETTER? Scientology has around 20,000 - 30,000 members while Islam has 1,600,000,000.

CONCLUSION: Terrorist suicide bombers are producing much better stats than sending potbellied squirrel busters with headcams. Scientology has really got to up its game!

Both have some interest in outer space . Muslims are expected to make a pilgrimage at least once in their life to Mecca. In Saudi Arabia, Mecca is the location of Islam most sacred religious object, a meteorite. Millions visit it each year.

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
Starting a new thread to explore the possibility that Scien is a racist group. Over my 30 years in Scientology in America, I saw 3 African Americans. None in high positions. Let's face it....Scientology is "lily white"....LoL

What about Australia? Any Aboriginals in Scien there?

What about South Africa? Any Blacks in Scien there?

What about England?

Another point..... Could this lack of racial diversity be used against Scien some way?
One thing I took away from Scientology was the idea that any sort of discrimination based on someone's body type is not proper. I consider this part of my current religious belief system.

FWIW I was black one lifetime ago and Thai four lifetimes ago.

Helena

Last edited:

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
Muslims are expected to make a pilgrimage at least once in their life to Mecca.
I made a pilgrimage to Clearwater. I mean, it's the mecca of technical perfection, isn't it? I wanted to get a green Flag T-shirt and wrap it around my head. :)

Helena

cuitlahuac

Patron with Honors
Starting a new thread to explore the possibility that Scien is a racist group. Over my 30 years in Scientology in America, I saw 3 African Americans. None in high positions. Let's face it....Scientology is "lily white"....LoL

What about Australia? Any Aboriginals in Scien there?

What about South Africa? Any Blacks in Scien there?

What about England?

Another point..... Could this lack of racial diversity be used against Scien some way?

What about England? what did you expect to find there? shapeshifting reptilians there?

Leland

Crusader
I made a pilgrimage to Clearwater. I mean, it's the mecca of technical perfection, isn't it? I wanted to get a green Flag T-shirt and wrap it around my head. :)

Helena

I always felt uncomfortable and wondered why c of s chose to promote Flag as a Mecca. Always seemed a bit off key to me.....so to speak . Do they have a meteorite hidden there somewhere?