What's new

Scientology Vessel Sealed Off For Asbestos Contamination

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
http://www.asbestos.net/news/scient...usands-of-passengers-potentially-exposed.html

Scientology Vessel Sealed Off For Asbestos Contamination: Thousands of Passengers Potentially Exposed

Wednesday, May 14th, 2008
After a discovery of blue asbestos (also known as crocidolite) contaminating the Freewinds, a 40-year old cruise ship owned by the Church of Scientology, the ship has been sealed and cordoned off by government officials in Curacao. Dock workers conducting routine repairs discovered the presence of the deadly mineral while conducting routine drydock repairs and renovations.

The Freewinds was docked in Ostrobanda, Curacao during April of 2008 in order to undergo the maintenance work. When dockworkers from the Curacao Drydock Company (CDM) found the crocidolite, they reported it to government officials and after an urgent meeting, the ministers sealed the ship and announced their action to the public to forestall panic among the alarmed maintenance workers. The workers have allegedly reported finding extensive contamination on the ship, and that further, the captain of the Freewinds attempted to conceal an asbestos release incident aboard ship, declining to inform crew members that a maintenance crew had accidentally dislodged significant quantities of asbestos-bearing dust into the ship’s ventilation system.

There have been previous reports of asbestos trouble aboard the Freewinds, including a 2001 affidavit filed by a former Scientologist who worked as a naval architect conducting renovations aboard the Freewinds in 1987. During those refits, the architect says he discovered crocidolite in the engine room and throughout the ship. Ships built prior to the late 1970s almost always used asbestos extensively as insulation, wrapping for pipes, and in ship fittings, as the mineral is fireproof and highly resistant to the corrosion endemic to ships at sea. The architect, Lawrence Woodcraft, also alleged that he informed the Scientology organization of his findings but that his concerns were ignored. Shipboard uses of asbestos, like its use in land-based industries, has been conclusively linked to lung cancer, asbestosis, malignant mesothelioma, and other health problems and diseases.

The Freewinds has been used as a mobile office, training base, and event center by the Scientologists since 1987, and thousands of passengers are known to have traveled aboard the asbestos-laden vessel. Asbestos abatement experts have opined that it will cost tens of millions of dollars to remove the asbestos from the Freewinds and bring her up to modern safety standards, an expense considerably in excess of the ship’s estimated market value. No comment has been made by the Church of Scientology or its controversial SeaOrg naval branch as to the expected disposition of the Freewinds.

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
Isn't the CofS saying that it's "all being taken care of"? Well, time for another fund raiser - "get the Freewinds sailing again, make your donation now!" Or, "we need a new ship, make your donations now!"

NonScio

Patron Meritorious
"tens of millions of dollars to remove the asbestos"....that's the death knell for the Deathwinds.
She's headed for the deep six. Not even Miscavige can be that stupid
as to sink such vast sums of money into such a lost cause. They could
maybe squeeze a few million$ in contributions to support the myth that
they can ever sail the ship again. They got away with it for decades with
the building in Florida, why not with the Deathwinds?

Last edited:

Reasonable Lady

Patron with Honors
"tens of millions of dollars to remove the asbestos"....that's the death knell for the Deathwinds.

Deathwinds, great name.:D

RL

Tom of Helatrobus

Patron Meritorious
It's time for the spin to begin!!! "Due to overwhelming demand and the totally theta enviorment of Clearwater, we are moving OT8 training to the land base!"

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron

The question is is it cheaper to fix or buy a new one?

pomfritz

Patron with Honors
I'm sorry, just what the hell did Karin Pouw state a few weeks ago?

That they would be done with repairs soon and back out to sea?

More of the same acceptable truths, though these were hardly even acceptable or truths.

How can you tell when a Scientologist is lying?

Everyone knows that one right?

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
Operation Deep Six

Target: 1. Locate a suitable site in deep water 2. Sink the Freewinds 3. Blame it on the Anonymous Submarine 4. Stick to the story. That ought to do it!:thumbsup:

Little Bear Victor

With a few weeks left before MV event week, this must be the top-of-the list flap at the moment, although the competition is pretty high these days.

If this doesn't get resolved in the next couple of weeks, it will be a wipeout on the Maiden Voyage Anniversary. Would it be the first ever MV week on land if it ended up that way? Anyone know?

The most logical thing would be for DM to get a new vessel. Why the heck hang onto this old piece of junk? The problem, I assume, is that you can't just up and buy a ship (especially not one rated as an ice breaker) and have it ready to sail in a few week's time? It's not like they don't have the money to buy a new ship.

Whether it was his fault or not, Captain FW has probably scored significant shitlist points on this one and greatly increased his chances of making it to the SP Room and learn what it means to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

With all the attention on the ship itself, how well do you suppose the preparations for any sort of an event that is supposed to take place aboard it are going?

Far as I recall, the MV was the highest income-making event in 2006 -- when it made something like $68,000,000. I don't know if that was the highest ever event income but it was up there.

Aiming for that lowest ever this year.

tookmeawhile

Patron with Honors
Let's have a sinking Party!

All of us on all these various ex-scio boards should find out when it's going to be sunk and have a huge party. Rent a big party boat or ship and get as close as we can and watch it sink!

As a suggestion, anyone with any monies on account at any Org should ask for a repayment to help pay for their FREEWINDS SINKING convention expenses.

It'd be a nice vacation to fly down there and most of us get vacation time now in our "wog" jobs. Stay at a resort or two on Curacao. Imagine how much fun we would all have! Not to mention the reunions.

Could you imagine what a loud, happy party that would be???

:woohoo: :party: :dance3: :cheers: :bighug: :dance2:

NonScio

Patron Meritorious
The question is is it cheaper to fix or buy a new one?
Not sure of cost of a new one of the same size. If you Google "ships
for sale", there are plenty of used vessels for sale under $10 million.
I saw one 553 foot ship for less than 10 million (asbestos not included!)

OHTEEATE

68 mil?

With a few weeks left before MV event week, this must be the top-of-the list flap at the moment, although the competition is pretty high these days.

If this doesn't get resolved in the next couple of weeks, it will be a wipeout on the Maiden Voyage Anniversary. Would it be the first ever MV week on land if it ended up that way? Anyone know?

The most logical thing would be for DM to get a new vessel. Why the heck hang onto this old piece of junk? The problem, I assume, is that you can't just up and buy a ship (especially not one rated as an ice breaker) and have it ready to sail in a few week's time? It's not like they don't have the money to buy a new ship.

Whether it was his fault or not, Captain FW has probably scored significant shitlist points on this one and greatly increased his chances of making it to the SP Room and learn what it means to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

With all the attention on the ship itself, how well do you suppose the preparations for any sort of an event that is supposed to take place aboard it are going?

Far as I recall, the MV was the highest income-making event in 2006 -- when it made something like $68,000,000. I don't know if that was the highest ever event income but it was up there.

Aiming for that lowest ever this year.

you've got to be shitting me! 68 mil in a week?

Little Bear Victor

Not that DM specified it as he was bragging about how much he made, but I assume that it was the total of everything that came as a result from MV 2006, the week at the ship plus the subsequent events at orgs throughout the summer -- "summer of events" it's called, where the MV event nights are shown, one each weekend for the rest of the summer. But certainly bulk of it would've come from the ship -- IAS night in particular.

And no, I'm not kidding. DM has been successful in pulling more money out of less people for less services delivered, as pure donations for IAS, buildings and invented campaigns, at least it was so until a couple of years ago. In the last two years CoS finances have gone down the tubes (down by 50%) per reports by people such as Graham Berry (I don't know what his sources are, but he seems pretty resourceful.)

sp declared

Patron with Honors
Victor, I remember seeing several years ago an IMB from ED Int talking about donations. I think was IMB "Solve it with Scientology" critizing staight dono's and asking staff to sell services.

When the dono craze started again? And how come? Do you know by any chance?

Best

Sp Declared

Little Bear Victor

I seriously doubt it ever died down.

I'd say it is one of those things that is par with "sell training, not auditing." You probably know just how successfully that recommendation has been followed... (as in: Has the Church ever made millions by selling training? Same dif.)

"Whatever gets the money" is senior to such details.

---

Or, just to give another example: "Staff members should be Clear and OT." Sounds like a good idea, doesn't it? Yep, solve it with Scientology -- as long as your stats are up!

alex

Gold Meritorious Patron
Not that DM specified it as he was bragging about how much he made, but I assume that it was the total of everything that came as a result from MV 2006, the week at the ship plus the subsequent events at orgs throughout the summer -- "summer of events" it's called, where the MV event nights are shown, one each weekend for the rest of the summer. But certainly bulk of it would've come from the ship -- IAS night in particular.

And no, I'm not kidding. DM has been successful in pulling more money out of less people for less services delivered, as pure donations for IAS, buildings and invented campaigns, at least it was so until a couple of years ago. In the last two years CoS finances have gone down the tubes (down by 50%) per reports by people such as Graham Berry (I don't know what his sources are, but he seems pretty resourceful.)

As a rule of thumb in investing, you can safely pull 5% over the long haul from investments.

If the church does have 900 million banked thats 45million a year potential without touching principal.

On expenses of what?

And if the rumors of almost 10 billion were true....

And the church will vanish when? Not for a long time if the only issue is money.

My feeling is that perhaps that money should be preserved and used for good rather than lawyers.

alex