What's new

Theta's Conquest Over MEST

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
I just got done writing a pretty long post to an email list, and wanted to share the thought with this board as well. I framed it in scientologese because that's where I first got the idea, but it's certainly not unique to scientology, nor was scientology the genesis of the idea amongst other generations. Groups like "Upwingers", "The Immortalists" and others, some entirely secular, some deeply spiritual, are trying to organize projects and donate to foundations that are bringing us closer and closer to practical immortality and the ability to control the physical universe or create NEW universes to custom order (ref. Calabi-Yau spaces, as explained and discovered by Kaluza and Klein whose research occurred parallel to Einstein's). There was a news item today which sparked me, here http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/09/physics.nima/index.html So, without further ado... I blather!

-----------------------------------------------------

Where composite case issues come to play I would think that the best thing to do would be to handle them! I'm not at ALL against having the correct technology to handle such things, should they pop up. What I object to is being told what my item is, when it's actually something else, or when my own ITSA line is being bypassed (even if it's right, I should be the one reporting it). A program should be created on AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS for each person, IMO (while it is very likely that the sorts of steps necessary will be highly regular, as in the grades, an assumption about always running a given sort of item, when it may not be present, should not be made).

Sooner or later, if we want to start telling new stories with our lives, we will have to stop telling the old story compulsively.

Exteriorization is a distinct issue. I have viewed subjectively experienced universes which don't correspond to the physical universe. I think there is a mistake in believing that subjectively experienced phenomena are occurring in the physical universe. I don't "account for it", because I don't feel it occurs on a regular basis, is not repeatable at will, and is not corroborated by witnesses: in other words, it's subjective, without basis in physical reality. If it occurs, I consider it a positive indicator, but I don't consider it the objective of processing, just as I don't consider the objective of processing to make a person happy. Happiness is a transient condition experienced as a byproduct of making progress towards or the achievement of goals, and is similar in this respect to exteriorization (transience, and a byproduct of doing something else, typically, IMO, transcending two or more viewpoints to arrive at a viewpoint that incorporates all of them, but is also "exterior" to all of them). Gives me an idea for a process, actually. Something like "mock up a viewpoint", followed by "occupy your own viewpoint", followed by "occupy the other viewpoint", back and forth, until e/p. That probably already exists in some form, but I'm claiming it nonetheless.

I'm not sidestepping your question, though. What I have claimed hasn't happened is a demonstration that past-life recall having direct bearing or information for present time locations or situations (vis-a-vis "Mission Into Time", which I understand was a dismal failure). It's the eternality of the being that I question (or flatly refute, when I'm feeling antagonistic). I see it as POSSIBLE. In the manner that LRH discussed as far back as Dianetics, where he was talking about people's tone improving, gradually, and as their tone improved, their potential immortality gets closer and closer. I see that as true, but not as ever having occurred in the physical universe. Thetans may exist in a subjective eternality, but with regard to the physical universe, they discorporate at body death, and I've seen no evidence of memory or survival of the subjective youness from one life to the next. I'm very interested in Hubbard's description of the Conquest of Theta over mest, as described in Science of Survival. I believe as we amass more and more data about this universe, and our bodies as constituted from parts of that universe, there is a concomitant rise in tone of the whole civilization, which allows individuals to START out with a greater chance of physical longevity, and eventually, practical immortality, and full control of the physical forces which are still being tested, and probably will be for hundreds of more years, if not thousands more years, until we can control time, energy, matter and space, truely, in the physical universe. Achievement of this goal, as a species, is the game we are currently involved in. I don't see any reason to retreat from that goal towards something which has not been proven to be possible, in personal spiritual immortality sans body.

Nor do I see it in terms of dominating the universe! I'm not to be tarred as Cartesian, in that manner. Having the ability to control the universe doesn't mean you exercise that ability to dominate it or its inhabitants, but instead, that you are capable of helping and communicating and creating or destroying anything that you feel like, at the time. It may even be discovered how to do this without any vias (such as machines, constructs, gadgets, whatever). We may learn how intention directly effects things at a quantum level, and learn how to amplify that capability exponentially, such that by intention, we generate these effects in the physical universe. I don't see it as realistic that we could do this without understanding the universe, or how intention manifests in physical reality, except through blunt force, which would have a high error rate and likely cause great suffering. Correct estimation of effort is needed, and for this, science has been the vehicle for hundreds of years. I don't see that changing.

For those claiming open access to full recall along the track, where there were greater civilizations than our own, it is likely that at some point in a 76 trillion year history, one of the lifetimes was spent as a physicist, or other technologist. Such a person should be able to make a fortune and push us forward as a civilization rapidly by simply accessing these memories, and dredging up new ideas (new to this civilization), and then implementing them. I see it as a huge outpoint that this has never occurred, to my knowledge. The first scientologist to announce prior to starting a career in the sciences that they would do JUST THIS, and then actually do it, and collecting a Nobel Prize or some such, would immediately stop all the yapping of critics, and the doubters. That nobody has ever done this, to me, speaks of their inability to do so, as it should be a simple matter of recall and then implementation.

Meanwhile, I'll keep plugging along using the techniques I know, promising the results I know can be delivered, and nothing more. And I'll read Ray Kurzweil, Michio Kaku, Brian Greene and David Deutsch, because they are blazing real trails in the above sorts of technologies and mathmatics needed to make such radical changes, down the line. Science is a fourth dynamic activity, and is opening the universe to us.

Moonchild

Patron with Honors
Great post.

After all my time in Scientology (and elsewhere) I still have no personal certainty that there is any such thing as a thetan or a past life.
I would like it to be true, but cannot honestly say that I experienced anything in audting that couldn't be explained away by wishful thinking or self-deception.

In virtually all fields of human endeavour, results have been obtained (science, technology....the quest to control our environments) which are validated by the scientific method.

But when it comes to the metaphysical....the questions that have beleaguered humanity from day one about who/what are we, does God exist, is there life beyond the grave etc. what have we truly found beyond enigma and riddle?

Which is why many adopt the device of faith...I did too to an extent in Scn. but I'm afraid that for me, it just doesn't cut the mustard. Believe one bunch of fairy-tales and you might as well sign up for the lot; talking snakes, Venusian steam-locomotives, you name it.

For a long time I've characterised myself as an Atheist; part of my reason for joining this board was to discover the opinions and views of others who had been through Scn. and may have found themselves questioning the whole "theta-universe"/"metaphysical" bit.

Early days yet, see what unravels. Again, great post. Exactly the kind of stuff I'm after. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks, glad it sparked you. Make more of it! (Slogan, yes, but what the hell.) I am on Ray Kurzweil's mailing list (it's not exclusive, anyone can get on it, you just sign up and give them your email address), and I recommend it for people who are contemplating these sorts of ideas. Kurzweil is most famous as a futurist, particularly looking at artificial intelligence, and the merging of humanity with machines. This could give us Darth Vaders, but it could also give us Lukes, and anywhere between (not the mental powers, although who knows what will open up once we are directly wired into electronic devices: what's the practical difference between sending someone a message through thought translated to code and back to sound on their end, and telepathy?). His projections concerning nanotechnology and it's potential to deliver cell repair, making cancer a thing of the past, and making aging (which he considers similar to cancer) also a thing of the past, unless a person ELECTS to age. Of course, there are a range of problems that come along with a race of people that fuck like bunnies and live forever, but there will also be a tremendous move forward in terms of wisdom and networking wise solutions. His books are good reading, exciting, frightening and ignored only if you don't want to confront what we are already doing and where we are already going. His look is NOT spiritual, but perhaps that's a good thing. The spirit, in my opinion, is an additive that retards progress in understanding: it isn't necessary to include the spirit in our theories in order to continue to make technological progress, or even to experience very high "ARC" (rapport). It just creates mysteries and hideaways for secrets to be sold at high prices to people who have more money than brains. That doesn't mean there ISN'T a spirit, only that consideration of it isn't necessary to resolve the problems in front of us as a people, or to understand who we are.

After all my time in Scientology (and elsewhere) I still have no personal certainty that there is any such thing as a thetan or a past life.

This is a very valid point. However, ultimately it is irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether or not "past lives" are true in themselves or whether or not you see your self as an immortal "spirit".

Many schools of Buddhism recognize such distinctions and offer finally nuanced arguments about such philosophical points. Nevertheless, they continue in their practices and offer explanations predicated on "reincarnation".

The only thing that ultimately is significant is whether an individual considers for himself whether or not some condition in his life has been improved through the practice of scientology principles.

For this point there is much supportive evidence. Especially from prior to the Miscavige takeover and successful field auditors since that time.

In those instances where problems with tech delivery have been reported they typically occur in tandem with abusive practices which are contrary to the foundational principles of the subject of scientology.

Mark A. Baker

Last edited:
Kurzweil is most famous as a futurist, particularly looking at artificial intelligence, and the merging of humanity with machines. This could give us Darth Vaders, but it could also give us Lukes, ...

Well, unless you get busy cleaning up a LOT of "cases", Mr. Futurist, I've got $5 down says the DV's win. :)

Mark A. Baker

Little Bear Victor

Silver Meritorious Patron

For this point there is much supportive evidence. Especially from prior to the Miscavige takeover and successful field auditors since that time.

In those instances where problems with tech delivery have been reported they typically occur in tandem with abusive practices which are contrary to the foundational principles of the subject of scientology.

Mark A. Baker

Hi Mark,

I tend to -- politely or not -- disagree with you on "much supportive evidence."

I'm a big fan of statistical and probabilistic calculations, and while general public opinion and truth may not have a helluva lot to do with each other, I would say that if 250,000,000 people have been introduced to Dianetics and Scientology (That is one of the Church estimates of how many have read an LRH book) and 55,000 of them are still of the opinion that it is something worth pursuing, that makes it 0.02% of people finding Scientology workable. Maybe 55,000 is a significant figure compared to zero, but I'd like to keep it in perspective.

You could also ask how many of those remaining 55,000 are there only because of the hope that Scientology will one day deliver what Hubbard claimed it could, and how many are there because of actual personal experiences that it does work the way he described?

I don't have a problem with people who have actually found out for themselves that Hubbard's technology works after having used it, but to say that there is "much supportive evidence" is a bit of a stretch, given the statistics.

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is a very valid point. However, ultimately it is irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether or not "past lives" are true in themselves or whether or not you see your self as an immortal "spirit".

Many schools of Buddhism recognize such distinctions and offer finally nuanced arguments about such philosophical points. Nevertheless, they continue in their practices and offer explanations predicated on "reincarnation".

The only thing that ultimately is significant is whether an individual considers for himself whether or not some condition in his life has been improved through the practice of scientology principles.

Mark A. Baker

"Ultimately irrelevant?!?!?" I thought Scientology was about certainty. That is the outcome of knowledge, isn't it? Are you saying one can improve without knowing about it, or that if one has improved knowing it isn't important? Or one's relative condition is important only as observed by others? It is not important to know if one is an immortal spirit or a lump of coal? That appears to be what you are saying and in my opinion is disingenuous at best.

"The foundational principles of the subject of Scientology" seem to hold pretty strong to the idea that a person is a spiritual being. "Tech delivery" cannot be separated out from that without a lie by at least one party to the operation.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
the first stat you use, Little Bear, requires further examination, as it impinges heavily on your .02% figure. I don't accept the Church's statistics on anything, as they are known liars. Last time I saw a reported statistic from NON-Church sources, the total sales in English were 14 million. Some portion of that were probably bought by the Church or its surrogates in order to keep it on best-seller lists, and so that is probably high. I very much doubt that it has sold better in its translated forms, though it is possible. How did 250,000,000 people read a book of which there are only 14 million copies in print? It's POSSIBLE, but I doubt it. And how many actually read it? Or tried the procedure? I suspect that the number of people who actually have read the book is closer to about 50 million, perhaps less. Of those, I have no idea how many actually tried it. As to the 55,000 figure, are you basing that on how many people signed up at the Church? I'll bet significantly higher than that had results from Dianetics, even just in 1950 alone. I expect that your figure is grossly distorted. My personal exstimate is that the number of people who got results from dianetics is probably close to 20% (unsurprisingly, this number is about the same as the number of people who improve through placebo). However, with training, I'll bet the percentages go up, though I don't have any studies in front of me on dianetics. Some studies on TIR show positive results in 72% of cases prescreened as having simple or complex PTSD no longer testing as positive for PTSD diagnosis afterwards.

grundy

Gold Meritorious Patron

Mark A. Baker

For a seriously bad-ass critic, he sure doesn't froth enough at the mouth when the word "Scientology" is mentioned.

Aren't critics supposed to be raving lunatics even a mother would commit?

For a seriously bad-ass critic, he sure doesn't froth enough at the mouth when the word "Scientology" is mentioned.

Aren't critics supposed to be raving lunatics even a mother would commit?

Actually, I'm not sure which of us you think is the critic, Moonchild or I. Could be either. :coolwink:

Critics come in different strengths as well as levels of knowledge. Simple application of "gradients". :)

Some critics simply "hate". Some offer reasoned dispassionate arguments concerning specific ideas or practices.

You can't reason with a "hater". They are ALWAYS stuck in something. Can't talk to the person because he ain't "there". Universal truth, ask a psychologist.:coolwink:

The other sort are a lot of fun. Well-reasoned argument is always a delight whether you find it persuasive or not. :thumbsup:

Mark A. Baker

Moonchild

Patron with Honors

Mark A. Baker

Back-tracking a little here (sorry for the dreadful gag) I wonder is anyone acquainted with Crowley's "Magick in Theory and Practice"?

In Chapter Seven there is a sub-section (VI) titled "The Magical Memory" which seems to comment upon the issues being discussed here....as to whether the "absolute reality" of past-life events is necessary to obtaining case-gain by viewing them. Crowley suggests that it isn't; a wholly imaginary incident still serves as a useful paradigm in unravelling an issue an individual may find troublesome in present time.

To me, this runs counter to my grasp of the pricinple of locating past-life charge....but then, since I'm not in fact the Pope, I may well be quite wrong.

The section in question is too long to quote here in its entirety, but perhaps this snippet epitomises the gist? Earlier in the text, Crowley has referred to a past life of his as a Roman named "Marius de Aquila":

"Far be it from any apologist for Magick to insist upon the objective validity of these concatenations! It would be childish to cling to the belief that Marius de Aquila actually existed; it matters no more than it matters to the mathematicians whether the use of the symbol X [to the power] 22 involves the 'reality' of 22 dimensions of space. The Master Therion does not care a scrap of yesterday's newspaper whether he was Marius de Aquila, or whether there ever was such a person.....what matters is this: True or false, he has found a symbolic form which has enabled him to govern himself to the best advantage."

To me, this looks like a similar proposition. Being aware of Hubbard's acquaintance with Crowley's work, one is prompted to wonder ...especially about the OT3 story for example. Was it ever meant to be taken as literally true, or, in the presence of some "presumed cognition" about the nature of the track, just as a paradigm...a working model?

Yours faithfully,

:confused2: UK.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ain't that the question! Welcome to my quest. Cosmology neutral tech: method without concern for content, except for recognition of what procedure to use, based on the type of content: i.e., what sort of charge is sticking out.

Vinaire

Sponsor
The basic truth seems to be that there is CHANGE.

The notions that one "improved" or that one "got worse" may be classed as subjective, but one may say with some certainty that there is a change in viewpoint.

All that one can be certain of is that there is CHANGE. And so there is TIME. And so there is ENERGY.

Energy, as it condenses, appears as MASS.

And because there is TIME, ENERGY and MASS, there has to be SPACE in which for them to appear.

Vinaire

Sponsor
What is past life? Any memory coming from the past is associated with past life. From current perspective, childhood is a part of past life.

Now, if by past life one means life preceding a discontinuity, such as death, then we are looking at discontinuity in terms of BODY only. We are still looking at continuity in terms of some sort of a beingness... some common thread.

Are we looking at a continuity in terms of some identity package... a continuity in terms of some purpose and viewpoint?

What does one mean by "past life"? What is continuing?

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
What is past life? Any memory coming from the past is associated with past life. From current perspective, childhood is a part of past life.

Now, if by past life one means life preceding a discontinuity, such as death, then we are looking at discontinuity in terms of BODY only. We are still looking at continuity in terms of some sort of a beingness... some common thread.

Are we looking at a continuity in terms of some identity package... a continuity in terms of some purpose and viewpoint?

What does one mean by "past life"? What is continuing?

Very nice points. I love that word, discontinuity. Aggregation appeals to me also. That is what was formerly known as GPM but which is really the muddled effluvium of time.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
The basic truth seems to be that there is CHANGE.

The notions that one "improved" or that one "got worse" may be classed as subjective, but one may say with some certainty that there is a change in viewpoint.

All that one can be certain of is that there is CHANGE. And so there is TIME. And so there is ENERGY.

Energy, as it condenses, appears as MASS.

And because there is TIME, ENERGY and MASS, there has to be SPACE in which for them to appear.

You've got it backwards. There has to be space in which things can appear before there can be things in that space. That's what makes spacetime so interesting.