What's new

I went to church on Sunday

Dean Blair

Silver Meritorious Patron
I went to church on Sunday with my family. It is a large church in Cedar Park, TX. Looking around I saw that every seat was filled. Literally thousands of people were there as they are every Sunday. Being an ex Scientologist the thought crossed my mind that this church looked like one of the "Ideal Orgs" that David Miscavige is trying so hard to build.

The first main and noticeable difference between Dave's Ideal Org and this one was that his Ideal Orgs are empty and this was completely full. The pastors and staff all wear regular clothing and not Sea Org Regalia or elaborate gowns.

The next thing I noticed was that when the collection plate was passed around some people gave and some people didn't but there were no regs and none of the ethics enforcement to give everything you own. Financially the church is sound and each week they give a statement about how much was needed and how much was received. They receive enough each week to implement the various programs planned and are easily able to pay the staff and all of the churches expenses. They are solvent.

A new pastor introduced himself. He and his family came from Corpus Christi, TX this past January. Staff members here are encouraged to have and raise children unlike in Scientology Organizations. The congregation and staff are expected to have families and spending time with your kids is expected.

Another really big difference is that the church and staff offer free services to everyone attending. They offer free marriage counselling, free aid for people who have suffered an injury or illness, free summer camps for kids, free assistance in job hunting, and a lot of other free services.

I have read so much about the "Ideal Orgs" and the empty buildings. I have read and experienced the relentless IAS regging. I really see a stark differences between a real religion and a false religion.

PTS

Elliott
There is a Catholic church up the hill from me and just across Davie St. that hands out hundreds of sandwiches every day to the poor and indigent of the community. Just volunteers, one parish, and they touch multitudes every week with a little bit of kindness.

Contrast that with our local $cientology org down on Hastings St. They are a scant four blocks or so from Main & Hastings, in the Vancouver neighborhood that has the dubious distinction of being the poorest post code in all of Canada. And yet they do no outreach, none at all. It sickens me.

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
For several years I participated in an inter-denominational community event sponsored by a local Presbyterian church. They collected food, school supplies, gifts for kids at christmas, supported disaster relief with good and money, offered shelter and services for battered women..... it was a truly wonderful group of good people.

Someone we know well was diagnosed with cancer a few years back. No insurance. Expensive treatment. I suggested maybe the local org could sponsor a fund-raiser (the person in question was a 30+ year member). I was told, "We don't really do that kind of thing."

apple

Patron Meritorious
There is a Catholic church up the hill from me and just across Davie St. that hands out hundreds of sandwiches every day to the poor and indigent of the community. Just volunteers, one parish, and they touch multitudes every week with a little bit of kindness.

Contrast that with our local $cientology org down on Hastings St. They are a scant four blocks or so from Main & Hastings, in the Vancouver neighborhood that has the dubious distinction of being the poorest post code in all of Canada. And yet they do no outreach, none at all. It sickens me.

I have seen the Vancouver Scientology center. Its prime real estate but I wonder if they have enough income to pay the elecricity bill. For them to have money left over to offer free food to the homeless is a struggle even if it was their intention.The Scientology staff probably may be in line for the free food themselves.

Free Being Me

Crusader
I went to church on Sunday with my family. It is a large church in Cedar Park, TX. Looking around I saw that every seat was filled. Literally thousands of people were there as they are every Sunday. Being an ex Scientologist the thought crossed my mind that this church looked like one of the "Ideal Orgs" that David Miscavige is trying so hard to build.

The first main and noticeable difference between Dave's Ideal Org and this one was that his Ideal Orgs are empty and this was completely full. The pastors and staff all wear regular clothing and not Sea Org Regalia or elaborate gowns.

The next thing I noticed was that when the collection plate was passed around some people gave and some people didn't but there were no regs and none of the ethics enforcement to give everything you own. Financially the church is sound and each week they give a statement about how much was needed and how much was received. They receive enough each week to implement the various programs planned and are easily able to pay the staff and all of the churches expenses. They are solvent.

A new pastor introduced himself. He and his family came from Corpus Christi, TX this past January. Staff members here are encouraged to have and raise children unlike in Scientology Organizations. The congregation and staff are expected to have families and spending time with your kids is expected.

Another really big difference is that the church and staff offer free services to everyone attending. They offer free marriage counselling, free aid for people who have suffered an injury or illness, free summer camps for kids, free assistance in job hunting, and a lot of other free services.

I have read so much about the "Ideal Orgs" and the empty buildings. I have read and experienced the relentless IAS regging. I really see a stark differences between a real religion and a false religion.

Great post. You can undeniably see the stark contrast between groups who act selflessly, reach out to the community with good works versus $cientology's wicked agenda.

PTS

Elliott
I have seen the Vancouver Scientology center. Its prime real estate but I wonder if they have enough income to pay the elecricity bill. For them to have money left over to offer free food to the homeless is a struggle even if it was their intention.The Scientology staff probably may be in line for the free food themselves.

The local clams had their own idle morgue fundraising boom a while back, or tried to. There are still remnants of the web site but it is abandoned and at least six years old. Any time I have picketed there on a Saturday I have only seen a handful of people entering the place. Rumour has it there are a few local whales, but I have no concrete info.

You're right that it is decent real estate, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it prime yet. The eventual gentrification of the downtown east side will increase its value. Right now it is in kind of a wasteland between Chinatown and Gastown. The proximity to Carrall St is problematic, but as I said, as the neighborhood to the east gentrifies it will be less of a problem.

The building itself is crumbling. I would think that property taxes and an empty course room are the bigger problems for them.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Great post. You can undeniably see the stark contrast between groups who act selflessly, reach out to the community with good works versus $cientology's wicked agenda.

I think the purpose of religion is to bring comfort to people who have trouble dealing with the world, to provide them with hope that things will turn out OK, either in this life or the next. Religions which do not accomplish this one primary task tend to lose people.

Scn stopped serving its parishioners and became an extortion racket long ago.

Free Being Me

Crusader
I think the purpose of religion is to bring comfort to people who have trouble dealing with the world, to provide them with hope that things will turn out OK, either in this life or the next. Religions which do not accomplish this one primary task tend to lose people.

Scn stopped serving its parishioners and became an extortion racket long ago.

Yes, I agree for the most part. The fear of the unknown does play a large part in religion. If hope, faith, and solace help a person and society overall then I have no qualms with religion. It's the fanatical rabid religious mindset that turns me off when taken to an extreme. Most especially cults such as $cientology that wear a religious cloaking ploy to hide behind while poisoning their members and our cultures.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter

Going for a walk one day, J and I spotted a Protestant church that had interesting architecture. We stopped by to talk to the minister who was really glad to meet us. He made us feel welcome and that it would be cool if we wanted to go to church there but at no time did we feel pressured or hounded or looked upon as resources.

apple

Patron Meritorious
The local clams had their own idle morgue fundraising boom a while back, or tried to. There are still remnants of the web site but it is abandoned and at least six years old. Any time I have picketed there on a Saturday I have only seen a handful of people entering the place. Rumour has it there are a few local whales, but I have no concrete info.

You're right that it is decent real estate, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it prime yet. The eventual gentrification of the downtown east side will increase its value. Right now it is in kind of a wasteland between Chinatown and Gastown. The proximity to Carrall St is problematic, but as I said, as the neighborhood to the east gentrifies it will be less of a problem.

The building itself is crumbling. I would think that property taxes and an empty course room are the bigger problems for them.

I cant imagine how they pay the property taxes. For sure I can bet no one gets paid. The best use of that building would be to gut it and make condo units. That would make it more useful than it is now.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
I cant imagine how they pay the property taxes. For sure I can bet no one gets paid. The best use of that building would be to gut it and make condo units. That would make it more useful than it is now.

Alleged churches get a break on taxes, yah?

Boojuum

Great post, Dean. This distinction between a normal, white bread church is one of the key things that drove me away from Scientology. You're correct. There's a very sharp difference. One group seeks to simply help people in friendly way and it's fun and supportive and a good thing.

The Scieno's don't even pretend to be friendly. The Scieno's are all about "win or die in the attempt" or "putting ethics in on the 3rd and 4th dynamic." The Scieno mentality is more "we know what you need and you don't". The Scieno's are so serious because that's about the only way you can get the organization to remotely "work". Browbeating people for money and services and contracts and help and Thursday at 2 is all a "deadly serious" activity because if you simply let people stroll in and out at will that wouldn't be Scientology. It sortof "works" if you threaten someone's immortality.

Thanks for sharing.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
The title of the OP immediately took me back to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZI0zO2TS1Y

Lots of good live versions around too.

I was at my Auntie's funeral at a small Baptist church a few weeks ago and it brought back lots of memories of being a kid singing my lungs out to the hymns.:biggrin:

Funny how we all had a few cries and a lot of good memories over a well-lived 91 years and all the people she touched for the better. Hard day emotionally for me but well worth it just to see what life's REALLY about. And what a REAL church does for people.:yes:

Dean Blair

Going for a walk one day, J and I spotted a Protestant church that had interesting architecture. We stopped by to talk to the minister who was really glad to meet us. He made us feel welcome and that it would be cool if we wanted to go to church there but at no time did we feel pressured or hounded or looked upon as resources.

Yes Claire. I have talked to numerous ministers of other churches and found them to be as you have stated. I didn't feel pressured or hounded or looked upon as a resource. In my experience they seem to be certain of their belief and helpful without forcing their belief on me and they didn't make me wrong or feel less for being a wog or non christian.

Scientology says its a church. Then they should act like a church and do things that churches do and I don't mean simply holding a fake Sunday Service like they do once a week. The church should give charity to those who are in need. They don't believe in prayer but do believe in postulates. When a Scientologist gets ill or needs help the least they could do would be to get a group postulate going for the infirm person.

Someone else posted here that when a 30 year Scientologist became ill and could not afford the medical treatment a suggestion was made to hold a fund raiser. This idea was rejected however probably because it would cut across the Scientology income lines. They could have had a student give the person assists for free as a charitable action but instead did nothing. Scientology is like no other religion on Earth and probably even on Marcab. They are a fraudulent religion that is only in it for the $.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
When I left taht cult, very much damamged within myself, my soul, I went to talk with 2 priests and they have been very much good confident, and listen & spoke to me as soul healers. I can't recal they sold my anything about Jesus or any belief, but they gave me hope for better days, 20 years ago!

I believe it's a good moove I did as, sine I came into that Cult, it was the first time, for long, someone told me I was a good , kind person real concerned with others - as I thought, for years, I was a degraded sp being.

Difference between a church and real priest\pastor and a mafia terminator cult.

Sharing and stealing!