What's new

The Sole Source Myth

Veda

Sponsor
That's about what I figured. Hubbard also bad mouthed Napoleon Hill.

I found this and the sequence:

Science of Getting Rich by Wallace DeLois Wattles written 1910

http://www.sacred-texts.com/nth/sgr/index.htm

The Law of Success Course by Napoleon Hill 1928

http://archive.org/stream/Law_Of_Success_in_16_Lessons/law-of-success-napoleon-hill#page/n1/mode/2up

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie 1936

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Win_Friends_and_Influence_People

All three books built from the first. All three talk about the "ether", Hubbard renamed it "theta" or "theta body"

Hubbard was also an expert at rhetorical writing. I believe hubbard borrowed from Hill & Carnegie to set-up his Bridge. And of course was making it up as he went along and added things from other religions, psychotherapy, hypnosis, etc. And everything Veda posted above fits right in. All long and drawn out over a lifetime as Nibs said. Hubbard even admitted he compiled from other works.

One of the five canons of rhetoric is "inventio" or invention: the process of developing and refining your argument.

Hubbards "inventio" surely was invention in the art of developing and refining his bullshit wacky cosmos sci fi stories and convincing us they were all true. Somebody slap me silly. :laugh:

Hubbard used rhetoric only in the wrong way, to entrap. Just like his "admissions" state.

I dunno, this is how I see it.

_______​

cgfig1.jpg

PS: This thread is loaded with information, links, and links leading to links leading to more links. Some of the links no longer work, most do.

It's sloppy and somewhat redundant, and some areas, such as that of abreaction (catharsis), are not covered as fully as they might be.

However, if one has the patience to wade through it, and its derails, and search its links, IMO, it's a pretty good compendium of actual sources for Dianetics and Scientology.

Last edited:

ClearedSP

Patron with Honors
E-meter Electrodes; A Dissertation on Soup Cans said:
There are only five pieces of research I have not myself done in Scientology. One is the effect of vitamins on mental response, done by a New York nurse for us. One is the effect of restimulation on I.Q., which I proposed and Don Rogers carried out. One is the basic meter made by Mathison after a lecture by myself. One is the actual circuit of the modern transistor meter done by Don Breeding. And one is the following, which is enormously important because there's a mistake in it.
(Hubbard then goes on to say how soup cans give better meter reads than the 1" diamater metal tubing used by Mathison, despite their having similar electrical characteristics; he was right, and electronics wonks were wrong.)

Really Ron? You discovered all the rest?

liar.jpg

Veda

Sponsor
28hhbv5.jpg

There's is a substantial amount that has been written re. how much of Scientology is derived from, not only the works of Aleister Crowley, but from that which Crowley himself took much: the Kabbalah.

-snip-

The above diagram appeared in Crowley's late 1940s 'Magick Without Tears', and it presents the Kabbalistic Tree of Life with its key points explained in terms of the tri-grams of the Chinese I-Ching. The I-Ching is an ancient Book of Wisdom that was popularized as a fortune telling device. Such a popularization kept it alive and made it part of popular Chinese culture, however, behind that, it remained an ancient book of wisdom and one based on a mathematical model.

IMO, examining this diagram may assist in understanding the Kabbalistic Tree of Life

-snip-

Our resident Scn Inc. Harlem Org staff member, Tom Booth, recently presented these two old quotes, which conveniently saved me the trouble of searching for them, which I've been putting off doing. Thanks to Tom for that, and give my thanks to the entire staff of the Harlem Org for keeping the Great Work of the Great Beast 666 on target!

Look around when you're on post at the Org, TB, take in that Scientological ambiance, because you're not likely to be there long.

Anyway...

-snip-

“…a certain Frater X appeared on the scene, and while such was his fascination that Parsons – who had gained admission to the highest grades of the O.T.O. – was persuaded to break his Oath of Secrecy and X came into possession of the secrets of the Order although he was not at any time properly initiated.”

“Parsons…. died disastrously when he dropped a phile of fulminate of mercury. His scribe, however, is still at large, having grown wealthy and famous by a misuse of the secret knowledge which he wormed out of Parsons.”

From “The MagicalRevival” by Kenneth Grant (1972) pgs 107 & 162
-------------------------
There is no question whatsoever that the “Frater X” , Parsons Scribe referred to by Grant was non other than L Ron Hubbard.

Here we have an OTO insider, head of a secret society publishing, in no uncertain terms that Scientology is essentially secret OTO material intended for high initiates of the order which Hubbard appropriated.

Robert Anton Wilson probably researched Crowley and his teachings better than anybody. He wrote:

-------------------------------------

“Hubbard’s system is derived largely from Aleister Crowley…. Hubbard was a member of Crowley’s Ordo Templi Orientis in the 1940s; and Hubbard later… invented a system which seems, to those of us who know both, very similar to the system taught by Crowley in the O.T.O.”

From: Robert Anton Wilson, letter, Conspiracy Digest 3.1 (1978)

-snip-

'The Best of the Sole Source Myth' thread:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?29298-Best-of-the-Sole-Source-Myth-thread

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
And this from Gib. Thanks, Gib. :)

I'm beginning to believe hubbard used rhetorical writing to "mind control" people.

Hubbard learned rhetorical writing and practiced it well.

I just found this out recently and have been looking into it.

I read this letter by Hubbard to his Dean Wilbur who taught him rhetorical writing. Rhetorical writing is the art & science of persuasion by Arstole. Hubbard says auditing is an art & science. Hmmmmmm.

Here is the letter to Dean Wilbur in 1936
http://backincomm.wordpress.com/2014/04/01/dear-dean-wilbur/

This sentence hubbards says he is going to write a book, and use Dean Wilbur's rhetoric book:

"Do not allow this to upset you in any way. Put it down that I am a rebel, a nonconformist, anything. Some of these days I am going to set down these things in a book, and your rhetoric, very battered now, will be open on the desk beside me when I write it."

I never learned "rhetoric". I am having fantastic wins with getting familar with it from the viewpoint of seeing others use the 3 forms of persuasion which are ethos, pathos & logos, which are natural by the way. It's how we persuade whether we know it or not.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/12/21/classical-rhetoric-101-the-three-means-of-persuasion/

Why study rhetoric?

Answer: "Protects you from intellectual despotism. I had a classics professor that said, “Advertising is the tool of the despot.” That idea really stuck with me. Since ancient times, powerful men have used propaganda to maintain control over their subjects. According to my professor, advertising is just a benign name for propaganda. Both rely on emotional appeals to change our ideas and feelings about a cause, position, or product."

Once you Blanky, get a little bit of a handle on pathos, ethos & logos, you'll see in the TV advertisements, the scientology promo, everything,

has to do with how to convince, persuade, etc using one or all three of the logos, pathos & ethos.

Lots of folks here don't read the links I provide, I'm in the same boat as you, sort of. So I'm offering my helping hand, as others are.

If you go the local library and check out a book by Arstole, the Art of Rhetoric, have it laying around your house, and be reading it, and tell your partner some of the wins you are having by reading it, and learning about the ethos, pathos, and logos, and the other things in the book, (it ain't that hard, just some concentration)

it might help in the household, over time, mind you.

Consider this link:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/09/21/how-to-debate-politics-civilly/

"Dispense with the the how and why questions. Questions like, “How could you possibly believe that?” and “Why can’t you see how wrong you are?” won’t get you anywhere. Instead, pose “what” questions. “What makes you feel that way?” “What has led you to come to that conclusion?” Be earnestly and sincerely interested in what the person has to say. Do not ask these questions as way to dig up material to pounce on and attack. Take the time to really understand their sides of the issues."

sub political with religion, same thing. sub that with scientology concepts that are weird.

Veda

Sponsor
And this from Type4_PTS (Click horizontal arrows to see quoted text from Jon Atack by way of Tony O.:

From Tony Ortega's interview of Jon Atack, published yesterday:

There's the answer on how Hubbard came up with the term "charge" as well as some of the other basic terms from Dianetics.

Veda

Sponsor
Public service announcement re. Wise Old Goat

The information from Wise Old Goat is extensive and, sometimes, quite accurate, but approach with caution.

Wise Old Goat posted on various forums, including on ESMB, as Roadrunner http://www.forum.exscn.net/member.php?706-Roadrunner . All his posts are still here.

He is a devout Hubbardite and, as far as I can tell, although I'm not sure, he believes that something happened to Hubbard, somewhere in the 1970s, that changed Hubbard ("PDH"?), or that, perhaps there were multiple Hubbard's. (The most popular multiple Hubbard theory is that Hubbard, while hiding out in Queens, New York, in 1973, was kidnapped and replaced with a doppelganger - a double. Whether Wise Old Goat/Roadrunner believes this, I don't know. But the guy, IMO, while appearing to be a source of much information, is not a reliable source. Someone with a morbid curiosity greater than mine can further research this area if curious.) :)

Wise Old Goat believes, for example, that Hubbard really did - truthfully - discontinue Fair Game, and has a contorted explanation as to why that is so.

So sift through his voluminous (initially impressive looking) stuff with caution.

Wise Old Goat on Fair Game: http://www.wiseoldgoat.com/papers-scientology/hubbard_policy-letter_fair-game.html#whatmeans

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Finally, an explanation of your avatar Veda. Ever since I came to this board I've been wondering WTF it was; a painting by Dali? Anyway, now I know.

blocks_image_9_1.jpg

Sorry for the derail. Carry on!

Elronius of Marcabia

Silver Meritorious Patron
Nope Hubbard was'nt source of many things he put his brand on.

To use and old west analogy he was a rustler, using a branding iron to slightly
change or recode an idea claiming it for his own.

An intelectual fraud and plagerist with an unsatiable appetite for being seen
as wise and worldly lord of the manor, ascot draped about his neck.. so and so forth
if pressed for any kind answer that required more than half a sentence.

He rarely did face to face real time interviews and when he did they were staged
cut or edited so as not to see:omg: just how ignorant the man was in real time.

Master of puffery :write:and plagerism and pompousity, a bigamist a forger a thief
and a conman with little talent as writer, drug addict and money launderer
faudulent guru and douche nozzle, dickhead extraordinaire !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my7sxZ0KfHU

Veda

Sponsor
Finally, an explanation of your avatar Veda. Ever since I came to this board I've been wondering WTF it was; a painting by Dali? Anyway, now I know.

blocks_image_9_1.jpg

No problem. No derail at all. :)

Patricia Waldygo's painting of the Tree of Life (above) relies mainly on color and images, by-passing words. IMO, it's the best, and simplest, depiction of the "Tree."

Elronius of Marcabia

Silver Meritorious Patron

blocks_image_9_1.jpg

no derail its right on topic, I recognised immediately because of my
interest in chakras and other maps of consciousness old and new
and even have one I made for myself based on what I found as core
of each of my chakra's.

:thumbsup:

Veda

Sponsor
One of the big lies spread by Hubbard and David Miscavige was that LRH was the sole source of dianetics and scientology.

The sole-source myth was useful in creating demigod status for Hubbard; an image of a towering genius, an image that could be used to extract obedience, reverence and money.

We have an abundance of documentation and testimony on LRH’s plagiarism from sources inside and outside of Dn and Scn. For example,

LRH biographies by Bent Corydon, Jon Atack, and Russell Miller

Possible origins for Dianetics and Scientology by Jon Atack
http://home.snafu.de/tilman/j/origins6.html

Hubbard and the Occult by Jon Atack
http://www.spaink.net/cos/essays/atack_occult.html

Alan’s summaries of development of auditing and study tech on this message board:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=33

John Galusha’s technical contributions as described by Mike Goldstein:
http://www.factnet.org/discus/messages/26600/2872.html?1096663876

David Mayo’s affidavit dated 1 May 1987:

“10. The technology of Dianetics and Scientology is a product of the efforts of many people, including myself, and among others, Melanie Murray, Julie Mayo, Merrill Mayo, Dona Haber, Brian Livingston, and Phoebe Mauer. . . .

“11. During my affiliation with the Church of Scientology, I only attributed discovery and authorship of the tech to L. Ron Hubbard because I was compelled to do so as an article of faith of the Church. It is the policy of the Church to require all tech to be attributed to L Ron Hubbard”

Did Hubbard plagiarize admin procedures to the extent of the technical?

A related topic from Wikipedia: Altered texts in Scientology doctrine
(including altered taped lectures)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_texts_in_Scientology_doctrine

Is there any testimony regarding DM coordinating phony revisions of HCO PLs?

In 1979 I intuitively sensed that some of the issues attributed solely to LRH that I was receiving as a staff member were not written entirely by him (Product Debug series, for example).

I did not occupy any senior posts in the Sea Org and left in 1979. I have no personal knowledge of who wrote PLs and HCOBs.

Does anybody have additional info or links to share regarding falsified authorship of HCOBs or HCO PLs?

Bump.

Veda

Sponsor
14190138381.jpg

The Kybalion is a book from 1908 purporting to be the essence of the teachings of Hermes Trismegistus.

I apologize in advance if the possible connection between Scientology and the teachings of Hermetics has already been discussed (here's to the wonderful tech of merging! :coolwink:)-
In these days I'm reading the Kybalion, a text that contains the basic teachings of Hermetics, and this following paragraph caught my eye:

"The Hermetists understand the art and methods of rising above the ordinary plane of Cause and Effect, to a certain degree, and by mentally rising to a higher plane they become Causers instead of Effects. The masses of people are carried along, obedient to environment; the wills and desires of others stronger then themselves; heredity; suggestion; and other outward causes moving them like pawns on the Chessboard of Life. But the Masters, rising to the plane above, dominate their moods, characters, qualities, and powers, as well as the environment surrounding them, and become movers instead of pawns. They help to play the game of life, instead of being played and moved about the other wills and environment".

Wow. Searching for possible influences and plagiarism? Look no further :omg:

Hermetics? If you mean the Occult, Magic, Rosicrucianism, Theurgy, Alchemy, Thelema, Golden Dawn, Sorcery, and Conjuration, etc, etc, etc, to say that a connection between these subjects and this cult has already been discussed would be a huge understatement.

You're right of course, it's just that when I would read Rosicrucianist texts, or Alchemy etc, I would notice the similarities between the concepts presented there and Scientology. In this case however, while reading the Hermetics text, I wasn't noticing subtle similarities, rather I felt like I'm reading the exact same effin thing. I mean it's downright the same key sentences! And if Hermetics is the basis for all the other stuff, well, that's what I meant by "looking no further" :coolwink:

Hatshepsut

Crusader
I saw a PDF online last month that had a lot of Hubbard think in it. Really almost identical in some paragraphs. It was The Master Game by Robert S. de Ropp. It's a free download of his published work from 1968.

http://www.sharedwisdom.com/article/reconsidering-master-game

I. Games and Aims
A Game Worth playing
THIS BOOK is CONCERNED with games and aims.

It has been stated by Thomas Szasz that what people really need and demand from life is not wealth, comfort or esteem but games worth playing. He who cannot find a game worth playing is apt to fall prey to accidie, defined by the Fathers of the Church as one of the Deadly Sins, but now regarded as a symptom of sickness. Accidie is a paralysis of the will, a failure of the appetite, a condition of generalized boredom, total disenchantment -- "God, oh God, how weary, stale, flat and unprofitable seem to me all the uses of this world!" Such a state of mind, Szasz tells us, is a prelude to what is loosely called "mental illness," which, though Szasz defines this illness as a myth, nevertheless fills half the beds in hospitals and makes multitudes of people a burden to themselves and to society.

Seek, above all, for a game worth playing. Such is the advice of the oracle to modern man. Having found the game, play it with intensity -- play as if your life and sanity depended on it. (They do depend on it.) Follow the example of the French existentialists and flourish a banner bearing the word "engagement." Though nothing means anything and all roads are marked "NO EXIT," yet move as if your movements had some purpose. If life does not seem to offer a game worth playing, then invent one. For it must be clear, even to the most clouded intelligence, that any game is better than no game.

What sort of games does life offer? We can study Stephen Potter for tips on "gamesmanship." We can (and should) read Eric Berne on Games People Play. If we have mathematical inclinations we can look into the work of John von Neumann or Norbert Wiener, who devoted some of their best thinking to the elaboration of a theory of games. From the Hindu scriptures we can learn of the cosmic game, the alternation of lila and nitya, the Dance of Shiva, in which primordial unity is transformed into multiplicity through the constant interplay of the three gunas. In the works of the mystic novelist, Hermann Hesse, we can read of the Magic Theater in which all life games are possible or of the game of games (Glassperlenspiel) in which all elements of human experience are brought together in a single synthesis.

What is a game? An interaction between people involving ulterior motives? Berne uses the word in this sense in Games People Play. But a game involves more than this. It is essentially a trial of strength or a trial of wits played within a matrix which is defined by rules. Rules are essential. If the rules are not observed, the game ceases to be a game at all. A meaningful game of chess would be impossible if one player insisted on treating all pawns as queens.

Life games reflect life aims. And the games men choose to play indicate not only their type, but also their level of inner development. Following Thomas Szasz (more or less) we can divide life games into object games and meta-games. Object games can be thought of as games played for the attainment of material things, primarily money and the objects which money can buy. Meta-games are played for intangibles such as knowledge or the "salvation of the soul." In our culture object games predominate. In earlier cultures meta-games predominated. To the players of metagames, object games have always seemed shallow and futile, an attitude summarized in the Gospel saying: "What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul?" To the players of object games, meta-games seem fuzzy and ill-defined, involving nebulous concepts like beauty, truth or salvation. The whole human population of the earth can be divided roughly into two groups, meta-game players and object-game players, the Prosperos and the Calibans. The two have never understood one another and it is safe to predict that they never will. They are, psychologically speaking, different species of man and their conflicts throughout the ages have added greatly to the sum of human misery.

Free PDFs at this link

http://selfdefinition.org/psychology/

-

Hatshepsut

Crusader
Excerpt Vol 5 from Initiation Into The Seven Rays by Alice Bailey

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?...&q=related:hRrnkqqDvZx0lM:scholar.google.com/

Inertia Blindness Bondage
2. Many people are not only under the control of some one or other of their forms but are the captives of all the three. In studying the lower threefold man and the energies or lives that seek to control him it should be remembered that they fall into three categories:
a. The individual tiny lives which we call the atoms or cells of the body. These exist in three groups and compose respectively the four types of bodies: dense physical, etheric, astral and mental.
b. The aggregate of these lives which constitute in themselves four types of elementals or separate coherent, though not self-conscious, existences. These four lunar lords constitute what the Ageless Wisdom teaching calls "the four sides of the square." They are the "lower quaternary," "the imprisoning cubes," or the cross upon which the inner spiritual Man is to be crucified. These four elementals have an intelligence all their own, are upon the involutionary arc, are following the law of their own being when they tend to become powerful, and thereby fully express that which is in them.
c. A dominant controlling lunar lord who is that which we understand by the term the 'lower personality'; he (if the personal pronoun can be used) is the sumtotal of the physical, astral and mental elementals, and it is this power which at present forces the 'fiery energies' of the body to feed the lower three centres. The etheric body has a unique and curious position, being simply the vehicle for prana or life and the centre which it uses exists in a category by itself.
3. All subhuman forms in their aggregate prove a powerful deterrent factor in the progress towards emancipation of the Real Man. They form the opposite to what we understand by the world of the Master and the two are in direct opposition to each other from the standpoint of the aspirant.
The adept can enter the world of form, can contact it, work in it and remain unaffected by it because there is nothing in him to respond to it. He sees through the illusion to the reality behind and, knowing where he stands himself, there is naught in the appeal and the demand of these lunar lords to attract him. He stands midway between the pairs of opposites. In the realisation of the nature of this world of form, in a comprehension of the lives which compose it, and in an ability to hear the voice of the "formless One" above the strife of all the lower voices, comes the opportunity for the aspirant to escape from the dominance of matter.

3 March 1952 MILESTONE ONE Lecture on Entities. Transcript of 12 pages

I think they were doing 'cloud' sharing of discoveries... stored in the ethers... during the first half of the 20th century. And everybody had a link...to get into that cloud.

Attachments

• 09Rons Org USA LRH on Entities.pdf
    128.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

SPsince83

Gold Meritorious Patron

There was a clear (no pun intended) change in literary style in HCOBs in the late 70s and early 80s. It didn't feel like Elwrong's cadence or vocabulary, as bullshit as it was when he wrote stuff. The later stuff was definitely funky. We chalked it up to the lack of reading skills in the public schools so El Magnifico had to dumb it down. But all of us in our HGC noticed it every time we High Crimed the latest blather.