What's new

Scientology usurps ANZAC acronym in Australia and New Zealand

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Scientology usurps ANZAC acronym in Australia and New Zealand.

Mike Rinder: Thursday Funnies
http://www.mikerindersblog.org/thursday-funnies-6/

Please note this line in the Scientology ANZAC promo:
For every $10,000 donated for the New Zealand Ideal Org, no matter your existing status, you will be awarded the new prestigious award of an ANZAC!

Relevant Excerpt:
Cringe Corner

This may be a bit provincial, but I found this rather stunning.

Like the misappropriation of “101st Airborne” by St Louis org mentioned above that caused cringes for many who though this was bordering on sacrilege, the term ANZAC in Australia and New Zealand has a very special meaning.

The Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) was a First World War army corps that participated in the Battle of Gallipoli. For Australians, the Battle of Gallipoli is like the Alamo or Pearl harbor. An event that is forever remembered and according to Wikipedia, the campaign is often considered as marking the birth of national consciousness in Australia and New Zealand and the date of the landing, 25 April, is known as “Anzac Day“. It remains the most significant commemoration of military casualties and veterans in those two countries, surpassing Remembrance Day (Armistice Day).

To usurp this acronym and alter it is bordering on sacrilege in Australia and New Zealand.

Imagine someone in the US promoting an “MLK Day” celebration – “Mississippi Loves the Klan Day” and you will get the sort of outrage this would engender with the average Australian, let alone the veterans.

Proof once again that KoolAid causes you to lose touch with reality and how people think in the real world.

anzac-black-2.jpg

wigee1

Patron with Honors
I think this could get really interesting, The RSA are tough on things like this, especially when theyre stuggling to keep doors open,
Also , wasn,t the NZ fern copyrighted to the ALL Blacks through the Rugby Union ,and it doesn,t have to be Silver in colour, any other business displaying it, is paying a royalty.
It was one of their Marketing strategies. read it years ago, could be wrong , The NZ guy, Head of SACHI andSACHI , Roberts ? Wiz kid
Anyway, hasn,t Scientology learnt, They came up with the ANZO case, even a special rundown was created.They will see it in Action,Here it comes.
Granitt.

JustSheila

Crusader
I think I'll send that off to the Sydney Morning Herald.

The Church of Scientology abusing the ANZAC acronym. Crikey, why is it Scientology can never stop plagiarising, misdirecting and conning people?

Peeling off the bullshit to get to the good stuff is like stripping the paper from cardboard to find the box is empty.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think this could get really interesting, The RSA are tough on things like this, especially when theyre stuggling to keep doors open,
Also , wasn,t the NZ fern copyrighted to the ALL Blacks through the Rugby Union ,and it doesn,t have to be Silver in colour, any other business displaying it, is paying a royalty.
It was one of their Marketing strategies. read it years ago, could be wrong , The NZ guy, Head of SACHI andSACHI , Roberts ? Wiz kid
Anyway, hasn,t Scientology learnt, They came up with the ANZO case, even a special rundown was created.They will see it in Action,Here it comes.
Granitt.

Yes the silver fern has been trademarked by the NZ Rugby Union.

This can be verified on the NZ Intellectual Property Office web site, under "trademarks".

http://www.iponz.govt.nz/cms

Search term "rugby union" will bring up the fern leaf.

Leland

Crusader
Well, here in this pic, the St. Louis ORG....is positioning themselves with the St. Louis football team....The Rams.....

Scamology Promo

The real Rams....

I think as many people as possible should contact the St. Louis Rams ......and complain about this......here:

http://www.stlouisrams.com/

apparently no email....but they can
telephoned.

I don't know the name of that player.....but assume he would be interested to know and his manager and agent too.....that his image is being used for profit.....by the Church of Scientology.....

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Scientology broke Australian Law when it used the term ANZAC without permission

Scientology broke Australian Law when it used the term ANZAC without permission.

As first noted by commentator I Yawnalot on Mike's blog, it appears Scientology broke Australian Law when it used the term ANZAC without permission.

The Australian Government Protection of the Word ANZAC Regulations
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2004C00015

provide in relevant part:
(1) No person shall, without the authority of the Minister, proof whereof shall lie upon the person accused, assume or use the word 'Anzac' or any word resembling the word 'Anzac' in connexion with any trade, business, calling or profession or in connexion with any entertainment or any lottery or art union or as the name or part of the name of any private residence, boat, vehicle or charitable or other institution, or any building in connexion therewith.

JustSheila

Crusader
Thanks, Communicator IC. I'm going to follow up on this and make a complaint and report. It's highly offensive to me.

Can anyone grab some printed copies of this promo? Anyone know the distribution or any details of where it was sent or when?

Leland

Crusader
Thanks, Communicator IC. I'm going to follow up on this and make a complaint and report. It's highly offensive to me.

Can anyone grab some printed copies of this promo? Anyone know the distribution or any details of where it was sent or when?

It probably came from Mike Ridners website....it was posted there today for his Thursday Funnies. That is for today.

I guess you could contact him.

Glad you are following up on this.

That the Org of Scams....should steal and use the name of a famous Australian/New Zealand Military Unit, with a proud history....is just not right.

Mookster

Patron
Something tells me the Rams will not be pleased. No football teams appreciates anyone making out as if the team is an official affiliate or sponsor without prior approval. Once again, the results of living in a box. The person(s) who made that probably have no idea what a footbullet their silly, poorly crafted poster is.

As for the ANZAC acronym theft and desecration....Well sheesh. Why doesn't they have DM publicly wipe his arse with their flags at the next big event, hawk up a big loogie and spit on them, then set them on fire? Better yet make sure this occurs ON Anzac Day just to make it extra special. I mean hey, if you're going to disrespect the shit out of a bunch of people who served honorably and even died, might as well go whole hog right? The fact that the a-holes who live there and should know better would be so thoughtless....There are no words. I look forward to hearing what my ND group thinks of this when we chat later on tonight.

I give this latest bit of genius a :footbullet::footbullet::footbullet::footbullet::footbullet: out of 5 rating.

JustSheila

Crusader
That the Org of Scams....should steal and use the name of a famous Australian/New Zealand Military Unit, with a proud history....is just not right.

It's more than that, Leland. The Aussies were sent to be slaughtered, and slaughtered they were, without reinforcements, and so they just "dug in". Thus the term "diggers".

A few ANZAC vets are still around. ANZAC Day is Veteran's Day in Australia.

It's like writing graffiti on a headstone. Really upsets me. I know far too many Australian vets or widows or widowers of vets personally from my work and they'd be horribly hurt by this.

Leland

Crusader
I'd contact with info and pic.....every politician, Veterans Group....and any others you can about this. If it is illegal.....I would contact the Government Agency that can call them on the carpet about it.

I was aware of some of the history of Gallipoli.

Free Being Me

Crusader

It's more than that, Leland. The Aussies were sent to be slaughtered, and slaughtered they were, without reinforcements, and so they just "dug in". Thus the term "diggers".

A few ANZAC vets are still around. ANZAC Day is Veteran's Day in Australia.

It's like writing graffiti on a headstone. Really upsets me. I know far too many Australian vets or widows or widowers of vets personally from my work and they'd be horribly hurt by this.

As a Veteran myself I agree and thank you for making your report. :thumbsup:

OSA

Bryan Seymour is already well onto this... please hold off contacting other media until he has gathered all the interviews for the story?

Leland

Crusader
Bryan Seymour is already well onto this... please hold off contacting other media until he has gathered all the interviews for the story?

Welcome OSA ? Thanks for joining ESMB

We all talk about you all the time......great you finally showed up.

JustSheila

Crusader
Hiya OSA,

Who ARE you? :confused2: Why didn't you use one of our Aus locals for contact?

I already have Bryan Seymour's details so will get in touch with him as the media contact, as you requested.

OSA

Welcome OSA ? Thanks for joining ESMB

We all talk about you all the time......great you finally showed up.

Thanks, our main function is KSW... Keeping Seymour Working :)

Let me know is the OSA handle is offensive and I'll change it, of course...

JustSheila

Crusader
Thanks, our main function is KSW... Keeping Seymour Working :)

Let me know is the OSA handle is offensive and I'll change it, of course...

Oh no, not offensive, we don't usually have people jump right in with their first post without some sort of introduction, though.

Welcome to ESMB!