What's new

Mark 'Marty' Rathbun: Deconstructing Scientology (excerpt from upcoming book)

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Mark 'Marty' Rathbun: Deconstructing Scientology (excerpt from upcoming book).

Deconstructing Scientology
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/deconstructing-scientology-2/
This is an excerpt from an upcoming book with the working title ‘Deconstructing Scientology.’ It is directed toward those who are considering the possibility of dipping a toe into dianetics or scientology study or participation. My failures over the past three years in attempting to help former members graduate from the subject informed a whole new line of research into some of the darker arts that L. Ron Hubbard mastered to make people so apparently incapable/unwilling to learn.

Hypnosis

The most diabolically effective form of hypnotism would probably thoroughly convince the subject that it was impossible to hypnotize him. It seems that only in that case could the idea be implanted that no awakening and de-hypnotism would ever be desirable or even possible. It would inculcate the opposite of the old adage applicable to any reform, or even education, activity that the first step to recovery or learning is the recognition that there is something to recover from or to learn. If you were thoroughly convinced that you were more awake than virtually all of humanity, there is no chance that anyone could convince you to possibly take a look at waking up.

Imagine this scenario for a moment. You take up a course of therapy and study that convinces you that if you dedicatedly address a particular category of subconscious incidents (those anchored in unconsciousness and pain) you will have erased your subconscious mind and all of its automatic associative responses. The practice promises to render you virtually immune to sub conscious suggestion because you are permanently erasing that mind system or mechanism – in this case related as a tangible, factual entity – that makes you susceptible to such. The practice of concentrated attention toward past experiences produces some feeling of catharsis, just as countless forms of psychotherapy, meditative and contemplative practice inevitably do. Thus heartened, you assiduously follow instructions and devote a substantial amount of time and treasure to the endeavor. The required sacrifice alone conditions you to fight to justify the experience so as to account for the years and resources devoted to it.

Each session of therapy leaves you that much more certain that you are that much less prone to sub conscious persuasions. While following this course, you also take in a tremendous volume of opinions, prejudices, life-directing philosophy and mythologies from the source of the methodology that is making ‘erasure’ of your sub-conscious a reality. You are fed a comprehensive, romantic and imaginative new universe view. It is reinforced every time you encounter evidence against its plausibility. That is because your new universe view characterizes any information conflicting with your new universe view as evidence of the validity of the new universe view under attack by ‘flat-earther’ holders of traditional universe views.

You implicitly trust virtually all of your indoctrination because you find the therapy cathartic on some level and you are so grateful for being given the opportunity to forever be free of hidden persuasions directing your life. Your experience is being validated and reinforced by sophisticated, organized positive encouragement all along the way. That – combined with ample mythology adoption – elevates your cathartic experiences to levels of exhilaration. You are led to believe that these feelings of exhilaration are super human states making you sort of an elite, special being. You are literally told you are among the upper tenth of the upper ten percent of humanity, simply because of your participation.

The indoctrination becomes part of you because, consistent with the principles of conversational (or covert) hypnosis, you are given to believe you are assimilating it of your own volition. You are repeatedly told that nothing you are being told is true unless you yourself accept it, so that analytically you are certain data cannot be being imposed upon you, but instead you are self-determinatedly evaluating its truth or falsity and use.

All the while all the data input is being poured into a sub-conscious that could not be opened wider for unfiltered receipt of information and suggestion. That is because you are convinced that you have no sub-conscious, auto-associative mind. As noted already you are given to believe you have ‘erased’ that hidden persuader. Of course in reality you have as strong a sub-conscious as anyone else. It is probably even far more hair-trigger given all the counseling you engaged in to take the edge off your incidents anchored in pain and unconsciousness. That you have a sub-conscious, auto-associative faculty is patent. Otherwise, you would not be able to draw a breath. You would not be able to direct a spoonful of corn flakes into your mouth in the morning. You would last about five minutes on a busy city street before you walked in front of a bus or speeding car. You would not be able to perform any of the myriad intuitive tasks human beings routinely carry out daily.

Just as you have come to believe that you are making trillions of analytical, conscious calculations every day in order to function, you consider all that you have been taught during your mental therapy devotion is analytically evaluated and understood wisdom. Yet, by objective observation of people not wed to the same therapy your behavior is in many ways far more reactive than before you engaged in the therapy. If such observations are shared with you, you will reactively, automatically associate such with sociopathic characteristics of the type who oppose the magic of erasure of the sub conscious, associative mind system. That is part of your indoctrination. Just as certain as you become that you are a member of the top one percent of humankind, you truly believe that such negative people are part of the sociopathic bottom 2 ½ percent of humanity. You will move away from such people and replace those bonds with people who have received and abide by your therapy and its indoctrinations. Again, indications of the possibility of your having entered an elaborate trap are converted into reinforcements for the walls of that trap.

By now, you might recognize that what is being described here could be characterized as an extreme, exaggerated case of the mechanisms of fanaticism. You might have noted some more subtle forms of the mechanics outlined so far as being present in the far out fringes of political or religious isms. Such indications are not difficult to recognize when there is some distance between you and the object of your observation. By entering those mechanics into such a super personal, ultra subjective activity as psychotherapy that works with the deep recesses of your psyche, those mechanics are far more difficult, if not impossible, to detect.

Cat Daddy

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hypnotism

[video=youtube;PP376qIWyyg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP376qIWyyg[/video]

[video=youtube;_JY1pLFIsek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JY1pLFIsek[/video]

Veda

Sponsor
Mark 'Marty' Rathbun: Deconstructing Scientology (excerpt from upcoming book).

Deconstructing Scientology
https://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/deconstructing-scientology-2/

Excellent statement by Marty who appears to have read 'Messiah or Madman?' (1987, 1992, 1996) and its 'Critique on Scientology', and also 'Brainwashing Manual Parallels' (2001) - with special attention to the parts re. exploitation of the abreactive process: deleting old programs and inserting new programs - - plus Marty appears to have read Arnie Lerma's material on hypnosis.

I don't doubt that Marty is a regular reader of ESMB.

It's great to see these ideas publicized further.

Good work Marty. :)

Cat Daddy

Silver Meritorious Patron
A very good presentation of why you don't realise why you're brainwashed in dianetics/scientology, IMO.

And no talk down.

You sell Marty Rathbun short, You probably hardley look at his website and the comments. When you see itb you probably go: prrrrrfffft

A very good presentation of why you don't realise why you're brainwashed in dianetics/scientology, IMO.

And no talk down.

You sell Marty Rathbun short, You probably hardley look at his website and the comments. When you see itb you probably go: prrrrrfffft

Is your post intended to be humorous? just asking....

I applaud your sense of humour, I actually encourage it.

I have been Posting on his blog since 2009

I am dead serious, but I can still troll you hard if I wanted to

Oh......:confused2:

CommunicatorIC

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/deconstructing-scientology-2/#comment-318069

Margot Diaz Learned | September 13, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Reply

Marty, this is so fascinating. My friend and I were just talking about exactly this last night. Scientology is the long con. We were both victims, but no longer. I realized that the whole concept of “evaluation” being evil was ridiculous since we were inundated with evaluation everyday from the tech we were constantly reading and digesting and spitting out in the form of cognitions in sessions. It was just supposedly the “right kind” of evaluation. I also saw that as a Clear and OT I still had incidents with incredible emotion connected to them, even though I had processed them many times in many ways on my journey “up” the bridge. I had cogs, and BDFNs etc., but I was inculcated. I was an auditor, but I didn’t have to be. I knew the drill and I got through, blew charge and then two days ago when confronted by that incident again there was all that emotion again, but with a different viewpoint that made me see the insidiousness of the tech and it’s thought stopping properties. The desire for easy answers when life throws you curves. The compartmentalizing that I saw at first when I left is so much larger than I first could see. Deconstructing Scientology is a long process. It takes time and remember the first stage of grief is denial (a river in Egypt, lol).

CommunicatorIC

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/deconstructing-scientology-2/#comment-318179

martyrathbun09 | September 14, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Reply

I am not griping. As per usual, I am calling it as I see it. Of all the leading forums on the subject, this is the ONLY one that consistently has been driven on that basis. I know what has been supported and pursued and I know what has not been supported, and what has been rejected and attacked. There is no support – expressed agreement and support are two entirely different things practically – for assistance in graduating from scientology. Having given of myself (with the gracious sacrifices of my wife) for years in trying, I have a) observed what makes it difficult – and more dishearteningly, distasteful – for people to do so, and b) researched the source of such thought patterns, and c) researched the origins of the implantation of those thought patterns. My turn of focus is beyond emotion or intuition. It is practical, almost even simply mathematical. I have so much time – and even that is no longer my own. Given the effort vs demand/reward it is impractical to work with damaged people who consider themselves not just undamaged, but in many ways superior to most. And that informs my direction toward focusing the diminishing time I can devote to the subject toward informing people why they should not get into this mental dissonance – as difficult and time consuming as its reversal has proven to be – in the first place. Only a couple of weeks ago, you yourself were defending scientology with the likes of this: “Nothing I read in Scientology ever said to act like an asshole.” To make such an asinine assertion would require either a tremendous propensity for lying or a serious case of implanted cognitive dissonance. Giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming the latter, I’d love to help you. But, if what I have done in five years has you at that stage, there really is nothing else I can think of to do. So, I opt to warn people from putting themselves into such condition in the first place. Label my road and choices – after all, it is the scientology way – however you like. It makes no difference – beyond possibly serving as validation – in the final analysis.

Francois Tremblay

Patron with Honors
From all the stories I've read, Rathbun's theory seems very valid to me. It is a testimony to the brainwashing of Scientology that the old-timers who leave do so, most of the time, not on the basis of the brainwashing fading but on something completely different... missing a spouse, being treated badly for trying to protect the tech, being treated badly by Miscavige, learning about some new Sciscam or misdeed, or some other deep-rooted feeling that overwhelms one's vanity at being a "big being." The deconversion seems to mostly come afterwards. This seems very strongly contrariwise to most established religions, where the deconversion seems to always come first.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I saved the excerpt
Thanks for the 'bump'.

I just looked at this thread from almost three years ago and read this excerpt that was posted in 2014, back when Marty was still pontificating. But I have to say, I agree with his take here.... this is noteworthy, and I think marks the spot where he really and truly "got it":

Begin excerpt
martyrathbun09 | September 14, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Reply
I am not griping. As per usual, I am calling it as I see it. Of all the leading forums on the subject, this is the ONLY one that consistently has been driven on that basis. I know what has been supported and pursued and I know what has not been supported, and what has been rejected and attacked. There is no support – expressed agreement and support are two entirely different things practically – for assistance in graduating from scientology. Having given of myself (with the gracious sacrifices of my wife) for years in trying, I have a) observed what makes it difficult – and more dishearteningly, distasteful – for people to do so, and b) researched the source of such thought patterns, and c) researched the origins of the implantation of those thought patterns. My turn of focus is beyond emotion or intuition. It is practical, almost even simply mathematical. I have so much time – and even that is no longer my own. Given the effort vs demand/reward it is impractical to work with damaged people who consider themselves not just undamaged, but in many ways superior to most. And that informs my direction toward focusing the diminishing time I can devote to the subject toward informing people why they should not get into this mental dissonance – as difficult and time consuming as its reversal has proven to be – in the first place. Only a couple of weeks ago, you yourself were defending scientology with the likes of this: “Nothing I read in Scientology ever said to act like an asshole.” To make such an asinine assertion would require either a tremendous propensity for lying or a serious case of implanted cognitive dissonance. Giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming the latter, I’d love to help you. But, if what I have done in five years has you at that stage, there really is nothing else I can think of to do. So, I opt to warn people from putting themselves into such condition in the first place. Label my road and choices – after all, it is the scientology way – however you like. It makes no difference – beyond possibly serving as validation – in the final analysis."
End excerpt

I witnessed this myself, with the true believers who loved Hubbard and hated Miscavige. The more they loved Hubbard and his Tek, the more they hated Miscavige, who they saw as "keeping Scn from the masses". I had a good friend in this boat, and she became very hard to talk to; she in fact saw herself as superior to others and very aware. She thought this great awareness was actually the cause of her issues. She was in fact, VERY damaged by the indoctrination that she swallowed hook, line and sinker. Unless/until she could spot the actual cause of the damage (Hubbard himself, not his puppet Miscavige) she was never going to heal. She's still drinking the kool-aid, still looking for the perfect auditor that will save her.