What's new

How to Spot a Church of Scientology Office of Special Affairs (OSA) Spy

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
How to Spot a Church of Scientology Office of Special Affairs (OSA) Spy.

NOTE: Although the following is cross-posted from the South African Independent Scientology blog Scientologists getting back in comm, I am posting it in the general section because it does not concern Independent Scientology, as such, but instead general advice concerning something that could happen to any of us.

Hos to Spot an OSA Robot
http://backincomm.wordpress.com/2014/10/28/how-to-spot-an-osa-robot/

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

We received the following from Robert Berrington who has data of value regarding the ongoing infiltration and snooping by the Church and OSA. Just last week we were alerted to yet more attempts by the Church to get certain public to “cough up” information and names of their UTR friends or declared people’s activities. Whereas we cannot with certainty confirm the allegations being made against the people named in this article, we have allowed the publishing thereof as this is not the first time we have received similar reports.
Over to Robert:

How To Spot an OSA Robot

A few months ago I received a Facebook notification saying that Brian Scott-Dawkins was now one of my Facebook friends. I didn’t recall ever having sent him a request but I assumed I must have done so many years ago and that he only now accepted it, possibly due to the fact that he’d started waking up from the spell of the Cof $.

So we started chatting a bit and I referred him to Backincomm.

Shortly thereafter I was impersonated by a cult member via an email account they had created, [email protected]. Using this address they emailed Scnafrica, fishing for information.

My girlfriend was then sent a crudely “altered” picture of me with (taken from my Facebook page). Obviously this was meant as a veiled threat of some sort.

And then I received an email apparently originating from a friend of mine (we were on staf together) trying to get me to admit to various things. A simple call to my friend verified that the email was a hoax, and thus I verified that yet again someone had “created” a bogus email address looking like it had originated from someone else. Although the IP address had been removed, I managed to uncover that these emails had been sent by Ciaran Ryan – possibly with some help from his IT-savvy son, Marco.

Steve Moore at some point also left a message for me on Facebook saying “We know what you are doing,” mwahaha!

My point is that some “friend” (read OSA imposter) on my Facebook now had information about myself, my girlfriend, my friends and ex Scientoligists I am still in touch with, and used this information to bug me and upset the people I love and care for.

I’ve noticed that a good few “Indies” and even declared SPs still have Sea Org members and other well-known Koolaid drinkers as Facebook friends.

What’s up with that? Are you simply obtuse or is there a more sinister reason behind this?

Look, for the love of God, if you are out of the Church or UTR, get these people off your Facebook account and out of your personal lives. These people have no right to your private information, and by staying connected to them, you are endangering the comm lines and privacy of your real friends.

The picture below says it all:

dont-feed-the-trolls.jpg

So how do I know that Brian was an imposter?

Firstly because I saw his name on a list of people who had recently contributed large amounts of money to Ideal Orgs. Duh, OSA…

Secondly because BSD suddenly appeared as a “friend” of many SPs and people who were either declared or had publicly disavowed the cult such as Pierre van Mossevelde, Robert Horn, Ryan Hogarth, Shelley Ashurst and Francois Groenewald. The scary thing about this is that most of these people don’t remember having ever accepted or requested a Facebook friendship with Brian. (Hmmmm…)

Thirdly because he never responded to this message I sent to him “So I see your name appearing in a recent donations list for ideal orgs. Convince me why I should believe you’re not an OSA plant?…”

And fourthly, in hindsight, because all the stuff with myself and my friends being impersonated etc. happened shortly after BSD became my “friend”.

I’d like to suggest some pointers on how to spot an OSA plant both online and in the real world (and I welcome anyone to add to this list in the comments section):

Some Scientologist who hasn’t been on-lines or in the org in ages suddenly sends you a friend request. Don’t just accept this by thinking because you haven’t seen this person for so long they must be out or UTR. Always check with the person first – openly ask them why they are suddenly befriending you. If you don’t get a response, then you know. If you are UTR it’s just safer not to accept any “new” friend requests from Scientologists – you’re on your way out anyway!

You tell someone some of your upsets and the next day you get a call from the org to arrange an interview with you or to ask you directly what your issues with the org are.

The person appears on lists of those who have recently made large donations to Ideal Orgs or the IAS.

Does not originate his own disagreements.

Seems odd, in an indefinable way.

Is connected to other well-known, on lines committed Scientologists.

Does not attend ex members social gatherings.

Still heavily uses Cof$ terms such as “We need to take back our eternity.”

Lists CCHR, Narconon, Youth for Human Rights etc. as some of their interests, or has “liked” such pages on their facebook page.

Has SO members on their friends lists.

Has “SPs” or disaffected Scientologists as their friends, but is still obviously very “in” the Church.

Asks questions like “Why are you ill?” as a method of getting you to introvert and suspect that you are connected to this mythical thing called a “Suppressive Person.”

The “friend” is a person you did not know well to begin with, so why are they now friend requesting you?

There is very little activity on their Facebook account.

Sometimes it is not the real person who is now running the account but someone from OSA or someone working for OSA. In this case, communication from them sounds a bit too much like they’re trying to say things they believe the person they are pretending to be would say. It just sounds a little too contrived.

There is no pattern to the types of things they post.

Recent increased attacks or interest in you shortly after the friend request/acceptance.

The person simply appears as a FB friend one day. It may seem that this is from an old request which they only responded to now but I’ve seen it happen to many people, so I don’t know if they’ve found a way to simply befriend who they want?

Check your friends list from time to time. If you see the name/s of people you cannot remember befriending, then you can reasonably suspect that you are being spied on.

The person claims to have been out for a length of time yet still has fanatical viewpoints on what is considered “ethical” or “unethical”.

The person greets the ex member as if nothing is out of the ordinary and does not even hint at the possibility that they may no longer be going to the org or ask if you are still going to the org (those who have left really want to talk about it and share their own personal experiences).

In closing, this is my message to OSA:

Wake up – it is YOU who are creating your own enemies.

For those of you unfamiliar with Robert Berrington and his story, Tony covered it some time ago in and article which can be read here

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

http://tonyortega.org/2012/11/08/sc...cuments-the-church-usually-keeps-under-wraps/

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
I have an easier way of ensuring that no OSA spy gets into my FaceBook account, and gets access to private info about my friends and interests.

I don't have a Facebook account.

Facebook (and other similar "social media"), is tailor made to invade your privacy. Purposefully. Its reason for existence is to collect info about you, which can be sold to marketers and whoever else wants to know stuff about people. There's a saying "When the service is free, understand that you are not the customer, you are the product".

When I have anything to communicate to friends, I email, call them up on the phone, or even (amazingly) wander over and hang out in person.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I have an easier way of ensuring that no OSA spy gets into my FaceBook account, and gets access to private info about my friends and interests.

I don't have a Facebook account.

Facebook (and other similar "social media"), is tailor made to invade your privacy. Purposefully. Its reason for existence is to collect info about you, which can be sold to marketers and whoever else wants to know stuff about people. There's a saying "When the service is free, understand that you are not the customer, you are the product".

When I have anything to communicate to friends, I email, call them up on the phone, or even (amazingly) wander over and hang out in person.

Thank you!! I will also be canceling my Facebook account soon (after notifying a few people). I prefer one-on-one communication with people I know, I don't like "playground" type interactions. The list of things about Facebook that annoy me is getting longer every day, and you have helped seal my resolve to DO it and just say NO. :thumbsup:

CommunicatorIC

I get the impression that what is going on with the South African Independent Scientologists and the Scientologists getting back in comm blog is really driving the COS nuts. I also get the impression South African Independent Scientologists and the Scientologists getting back in comm blog really are the subject of quite a bit of COS spying and pressure. Examples:

http://backincomm.wordpress.com/2014/10/28/how-to-spot-an-osa-robot/comment-page-1/#comment-12921

Robert Berrington on October 28, 2014 at 11:44 am said:

Hi Sean,

Ciaran and Warren both have it in for me and yes, I suspect it is because they defrauded me out of R100 000.00.

At the moment Warren is trying really hard to get me fired from my job, lol.

http://backincomm.wordpress.com/2014/10/28/how-to-spot-an-osa-robot/comment-page-1/#comment-12925

Shelley on October 28, 2014 at 12:16 pm said:

Well well well. Now isn’t that a coincidence (or not). I had almost the exact same from Brian Scott Dawkins. His wife is Pam who has worked at Summerhill School probably close on 20 years now. One day, out of the blue, I get this private F/Book message from him asking where he knows me from. We get chatting and I overtly tell him am declared – he says he knows, and wants to know what’s going on “because it’s all confusing”. I refer him to the BIC blog, he tells me has already read it, and wasn’t sure he liked it because of “what all the SP’s have to say”. He carefully makes both “for and against” Church statements.

Brian and Pam never ever attended events – let alone fundraisers – they had been so far “off the radar” for so long I don’t think they were even on the call-in lists anymore – and suddenly he pops up and is madly busy on a previously “dead” facebook profile befriending SP’s, Sea Org members & other Scio’s including a few UTR’s.

I knew what he was up to immediately and told him to unfriend me – he said he wouldn’t as until he personally heard from the Church, he would be in comm with who he liked. So I copied all our comm and pasted it into a word doc (just in case – never know when I might need it again – nudge nudge wink wink OSA) and I blocked him totally.

CommunicatorIC

Disconnection. At a funeral

Disconnection. At a funeral.

http://backincomm.wordpress.com/2014/10/28/how-to-spot-an-osa-robot/comment-page-1/#comment-12941

sheeplebane on October 28, 2014 at 4:13 pm said:
Forgive me for my rant but here goes..

Ive just said goodbye my gran. It was her funeral you see. A great woman, selfless and giving to level
you wont find easily anywhere. She would put any churchie to shame, any day of the week!

I sees my sister there. I havent seen or spoken to her in nearly 2 years since I told the church to go and jump. You would think the hatchet would be burried under the circumstances. Not so. She managed an under the breath “hi” as she scuttled past mentally warding off evil spirits. What a shame. Scientology Inc. taking its bond of family and dashing it against the rocks!!

Its about time this ends. My sister and I lost a brother and and dear gran. When will you realise my dear sister that blood will always be thicker than water – always!

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
There are a number of critics on Facebook that have Facebook friends who are questionable & may well be cult plants & that is OK with them. Rather than adopt a me vs. them attitude & living in paranoia, the thinking is that if they are OSA plants, and they're reading someone's FB posts, they are getting a healthy dose of entheta (facts about the cult) that they are not being spoon fed by their peers & this is a good thing.

I have a FB friend who claims to be an Indie. He may or may not be telling the truth. He's PM'd me personal questions & wanting to know if I'm going to protest with Tory on certain days. I simply don't respond to him.

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Not to derail too much, but what I hate on FB is when someone who clearly doesn't know anyone at all, is friending left and right. I've had men from Africa try to friend me. One was posing with a GUN and a military uniform. I don't know anybody from Africa.

Someone who claimed to know my late father in law friended me and when after many iterations finally got the message that he is dead and that the friend she saw in my friend's list is his son, named after him, asked me to help her find another man like Mr. Swazey. Jesus.

I'd rather have an OSA bot than some internet sex predator.

Ok, just venting.

I don't want to make light of or minimize anyone's dealings with OSA. I know those can be frightening.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Not to derail too much, but what I hate on FB is when someone who clearly doesn't know anyone at all, is friending left and right. I've had men from Africa try to friend me. One was posing with a GUN and a military uniform. I don't know anybody from Africa.

Someone who claimed to know my late father in law friended me and when after many iterations finally got the message that he is dead and that the friend she saw in my friend's list is his son, named after him, asked me to help her find another man like Mr. Swazey. Jesus.

I'd rather have an OSA bot than some internet sex predator.

Welcome to the world of social media scams breed like flies.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/imposter-scam-cons-your-facebook-friends

https://www.facebook.com/Facecrooks/posts/10151585678195345

http://allfacebook.com/fake-facebook-friend_b34293

You think OSA is bad? Consider the 2 teenage Austrian girls that were friended on Facebook by ISIS terrorists & lured to Syria:

http://nypost.com/2014/10/10/pregnant-teen-girls-who-joined-isis-weve-made-a-huge-mistake

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Reminds me of the phone calls I'd get from a "friend" the day before a protest:roflmao:

I could almost hear the OSAspawn in the background as we carefully chatted about nothing controversial, then he'd ask me what I was doing the next day (when the protest was on.):yes:

The funny part of it was that when he called, I had NO intention of going to the protest planned.:dieslaughing:

It was nice to chat to my friend, even if he was simply fishing for info. - he gave me plenty without knowing it.:biggrin:

FUCK YOU, OSA

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

On that subject: Facebook data mining for political views:

Facebook is mining its data of users' posts to find out how users feel about certain candidates or issues and sharing that data with ABC News and BuzzFeed for use in their 2016 reporting, the social-networking site will announce on Friday.

The data will be gathered from the posts of Facebook users in the United States 18 and older, classifying sentiments about a politician or issue as positive, negative or neutral. The data can also be broken down into sentiments by gender and location, making it possible to see how Facebook users in the key primary states of Iowa or New Hampshire feel about certain presidential candidates, or how women in Florida feel about same-sex marriage.

And your privacy settings likely won't matter -- nothing is private from Facebook itself.

In theory, the political-view data will be only available as aggregate statistics.

Does anybody here have enormous confidence that the Obama administration couldn't get lists of names of opponents from Facebook if he pressured them enough?

ADDING: Also, think about how much DM would pay an agent inside Facebook for access to data about people who say negative things about Scientology?